PDA

View Full Version : What a Joke... Single-slab limit for Bathurst

btm
5th October 2007, 12:54 PM
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22533242-5007132,00.html

Single-slab limit for Bathurst

RACEGOERS were last night venting their fury at a controversial "one case" of alcohol limit at the Bathurst 1000 as police began an unprecedented security operation ahead of the famous race.

Motorsport fans have been outraged over the police crackdown on "hooligans" and have labelled the large-scale security campaign as "overkill".

The town has been transformed into a police state ahead of Sunday's race, with more than 750 armed officers - twice last year's total - converging on the historic rural town.

Police have set up checkpoints around Mount Panorama and are permitting only one standard case of alcohol (24 cans) per adult to be taken into the grounds.

Police are also subjecting fans to sniffer dog checks and body searches.

Victorian resident Wayne Houston had beer confiscated yesterday at a checkpoint in front of the Max Cameron camping ground.

"One box of beer per adult for four days is ridiculous," Mr Houston said.

"All they want to do is spoil our fun. I have been coming here for 11 years and have never even seen a fight. I take my kids here and I wouldn't do that if it wasn't safe.

"We never have any problems and to let just one box of grog in will only start trouble. No one gets in here with out being subjected to a search. It is creating chaos," he said.

The highly trained riot squad was yesterday out in force as the water cannon used at APEC cast an ominous shadow over the mountain.

Assistant Police Commissioner Garry Dobson yesterday announced a large quantity of beer and spirits had been seized along with 50 arrests in just 48 hours. With less than 20 people arrested at last year's event, Mr Dobson denied the drastic increase in police numbers was "overkill".

"There is a suggestion that it is overkill and that will be the assertion if nothing happens come Monday morning. But we have done our job if that is the case. We have certainly increased the size of the force to several hundred but it is consistent with any other sizeable event," he said.

"We have had checkpoints in place for the past couple of days and we have been searching vehicles and persons. We have seized alcohol and it can be collected at the end of the event."

But in a stern warning Mr Dobson admitted he had an APEC-type arsenal at his disposal.

"Our tactics, techniques and assets we used are all available to us. Whether it be the water cannon, the helicopter flying over head or anything else. When you see the water cannon driving up Pit Straight, we are planning on that not happening, but it will mean we have had to deploy it for some reason," he said.

V8 fan Shane Carn, 35, accused the "fun police" of ruining his annual pilgrimage to Australia's greatest motor racing event.

"It is just going to incite trouble. We can't even walk out of certain fences and the inconvenience will create a lot of anger," he said.

btm
5th October 2007, 12:56 PM
not that it bothers me cause i'm usually sitting on my couch with as much beer as the fridge can hold... but if i was out there i'd be wanting a couple more cans for the weekend...

luvpsi
5th October 2007, 01:03 PM
not that it bothers me cause i'm usually sitting on my couch with as much beer as the fridge can hold... but if i was out there i'd be wanting a couple more cans for the weekend...

have you ever been to bathurst to watch the races? It is packed with idiots starting fights, harassing women and just generally behaving like f***wits. Serves them right I reckon;)

btm
5th October 2007, 01:07 PM
cant say i've ever been out there for the actual race.

luvpsi
5th October 2007, 01:13 PM
one year we went on the redlinegti.com cruise and some of the members cars got their panels kickded in, windows smashed, lights broken... while the cars were parked:mad: why? cos they werent falcons and commodores... some of the people (only some) that attend bathurst every year are real animals

Tfer
5th October 2007, 01:51 PM
have you ever been to bathurst to watch the races? It is packed with idiots starting fights, harassing women and just generally behaving like f***wits. Serves them right I reckon;)

one year we went on the redlinegti.com cruise and some of the members cars got their panels kickded in, windows smashed, lights broken... while the cars were parked:mad: why? cos they werent falcons and commodores... some of the people (only some) that attend bathurst every year are real animals

Agree totally.... not a nice place on top of the mountain... been there, and seen the shit that happens. Some of these people (can I actually call them people) do nothing but write themselves off.... and the race... well, what race? :rolleyes:

They had it coming......

skulless
5th October 2007, 01:53 PM
:D that is just overboard for a motor racing carnival. another chaser's prank on this one would be awesome

btm
5th October 2007, 04:08 PM
another chaser's prank on this one would be awesome
and it will probably happen!

digifish
5th October 2007, 04:23 PM
"One box of beer per adult for four days is ridiculous," Mr Houston said.

I'd say he's being ridiculous, that's a 6-pack per day. If you can't have a good time on that limit you are an alcoholic.

2 beers with lunch and 4 in the evening, is that so tough?

AND given it's highly likely someone in the car of 4 isn't a heavy drinker then it's also likely you will be able to consume double that...

OR

if you drink for days then you have 4 beers at lunch and 8 in the evening....or whatever permutation you want.

digifish.

btm
5th October 2007, 04:26 PM
I'd say he's being ridiculous, that's a 6-pack per day. If you can't have a good time on that limit you are an alcoholic.

2 beers with lunch and 4 in the evening, is that so tough?

digifish.

call me an alcoholic... but... if was to say go camping... nothing to do bar sit around with some mates and chat, fish, swim, play cards, cook steak on the bbq, sit around the fire etc etc... a 6 pack a day just wouldnt cut it

digifish
5th October 2007, 04:32 PM
call me an alcoholic... but... if was to say go camping... nothing to do bar sit around with some mates and chat, fish, swim, play cards, cook steak on the bbq, sit around the fire etc etc... a 6 pack a day just wouldnt cut it

...but you do, there is a race to watch.

AND

Your angry reaction to the alcohol limit and what you just said above does put you in the category of alcohol dependency, you may want to have a think about your attitude to it.

For the record I bought a case of James Squire Amber Ale last night, it will probably last me 6 weeks :)

digifish.

oneightoo
5th October 2007, 04:35 PM
oh come off it!!

is everyone who drinks more than 6 beers a day an alcoholic? not everyone goes nuts at bathurst.. i was there 5 years ago and sure there were a few bad eggs, but the ones drinking a shitload and stayed sensible greatly out numbered the trouble makers..

for ****s sake this is bathurst! it's a car event! and without stereotyping too much, it does attract bogans.. ever been to a summernats? you get 15 times as many hooligans and guess what - all sober.. banning the booze isnt going to solve diddly squat..

sorry but a sixer a day, for an ALL day event 4 days in a row?? lol, you guys a living in a world of make believe.. not everyone drinks to get pissed.. it's a social thing.. sit and have a few beers with mates and new friends..

all you do-gooders would do well to grab yaself a beer, grab a fold out chair, plant the esky in the middle and enjoy a great day..

lol whats next? limit the smokers to one pack for the weekend? haha love to see them try..

poita
5th October 2007, 04:36 PM
im with you btm
a few 'quite' drinks with me mates is usually a bottle of rum.
not drinkin stupidly fast or anything.
thats just how we drink.
if we went to bathurst, well.
i'd have to mortgage the house for alcohol lol

digifish
5th October 2007, 04:39 PM
oh come off it!!

is everyone who drinks more than 6 beers a day an alcoholic? not everyone goes nuts at bathurst...

Did I say that? I said that if you can't have fun on 6 beers a day then you are an alhoholic.

I also later noted that people who get angry when alcohol consumption is limited may indeed have a depencency.

Let me ask you all a question, can you easily go a week without drinking? I know I can, not a problem.

sorry but a sixer a day, for an ALL day event 4 days in a row?? lol, you guys a living in a world of make believe.. not everyone drinks to get pissed.. it's a social thing.. sit and have a few beers with mates and new friends..

And this quote BTW is classic alcoholic stuff.

digifish

oneightoo
5th October 2007, 04:46 PM
Did I say that? I said that if you can't have fun on 6 beers a day then you are an alhoholic.

I also later noted that people who get angry when alcohol consumption is limited may indeed have a depencency.

Let me ask you all a question, can you easily go a week without drinking? I know I can, not a problem.

digifish

um i dont remember saying you did, however, you did imply that..

you are dead set living on another planet mate.. can i go a week without a beer? are you kidding? i go weeks without a beer all the time.. jeez, i guess that clears my name from AA roster..

perhaps you had better have a good think about the difference between an alcoholic and someone who enjoys a few beers, because you clearly have no idea..

btm
5th October 2007, 04:49 PM
Your angry reaction to the alcohol limit and what you just said above does put you in the category of alcohol dependency, you may want to have a think about your attitude to it.
angry reaction? :confused:

yep... this weekend i promise the first thing i'll do tomorrow morning (after more than 6 schooners tonight of course) will be to take myself to an AA meeing :rolleyes:

maloo97
5th October 2007, 04:52 PM
Lol this is good. Ask me about the above tomorrow moring. lol.

All good points made apart from 1.

blueraven
5th October 2007, 04:54 PM
they dont say how many bottles of rum/vodka/methylated spirits you can take in.

i dont drink beer anyway, tastes like horse piss filtered through gym socks to me. or at least thats what i imagine horse piss filtered through gym socks would taste like. i never developed a taste for it in high school like everyone else :D

btm
5th October 2007, 04:57 PM

digifish

point 1 - who said I cant have fun with out drinking?

point 2 - only getting angry when people make a judgement about me (or others) for being an 'alcoholic' when they don't even know me

point 3 - yes, quite easily thank you for asking

point 4 - you've got be joking right...?

digifish
5th October 2007, 05:07 PM
um i dont remember saying you did, however, you did imply that..

you are dead set living on another planet mate.. can i go a week without a beer? are you kidding? i go weeks without a beer all the time.. jeez, i guess that clears my name from AA roster..

perhaps you had better have a good think about the difference between an alcoholic and someone who enjoys a few beers, because you clearly have no idea..

Whatever. The fact is I was not talking specifically to you. Alcohol dependence is the #1 drug addiction in this country. 50%-70% (depending on the study) of drug related deaths are due to alcohol.

The fact that you need alcohol to interact in social situations is not a good sign, nor is your anger.

Again I ask the question. Why are you all so upset about something you claim you are not dependent on?

digifish.

poita
5th October 2007, 05:11 PM
ok everyone can clam down, on the news they say its one carton of beer (24 pack) per adult per day.
maybe its an error, but thats wat has been advertised here.

luvpsi
5th October 2007, 05:51 PM
ok everyone can clam down, on the news they say its one carton of beer (24 pack) per adult per day.
maybe its an error, but thats wat has been advertised here.

thats right... nothing is stopping you from getting in your car on the second day and going down to the shop to get more piss (another case)

By the way looks like they have brought sniffer dogs this year so better watch out if ur planning on getting high...:D

MatsHolden
5th October 2007, 05:54 PM
About time they started to clean the event up up the top of the mountain.

oneightoo
5th October 2007, 05:55 PM
Whatever. The fact is I was not talking specifically to you. Alcohol dependence is the #1 drug addiction in this country. 50%-70% (depending on the study) of drug related deaths are due to alcohol.

The fact that you need alcohol to interact in social situations is not a good sign, nor is your anger.

Again I ask the question. Why are you all so upset about something you claim you are not dependent on?

digifish.

no one dies at bathurst from drinking..

again, you've got no idea.. i for one dont need alcohol to interact with people in social situations, in fact tonight i'll be the designated driver, but thats neither here nor there.. and my "anger" as you put it, is directed at you, personally, for the ridiculous claim you made against my statement being written by an alcoholic..

why am i upset? im not upset, but i do think it's ridiculous to limit how much alcohol someone can have, you either put on a total ban or have no ban at all, not some half baked in between idea..

oneightoo
5th October 2007, 05:57 PM
About time they started to clean the event up up the top of the mountain.

everyone who goes there knows there are areas where the hoons go, theres plenty of other places around that big hill anyone can go and enjoy a nice relaxing day of V8's..

leave them alone i say..

MatsHolden
5th October 2007, 06:19 PM
everyone who goes there knows there are areas where the hoons go, theres plenty of other places around that big hill anyone can go and enjoy a nice relaxing day of V8's..

leave them alone i say..

It's a shame the best parts of the circuit to view are the 'idiot territory'.

blueraven
5th October 2007, 06:27 PM
no one dies at bathurst from drinking..

but how much damage is caused and how many fights are started between drunken yobbo's?

no one dies from speeding or drink driving either.

its the sudden stop that kills you.

[/sage mode]

MK
5th October 2007, 06:50 PM
normally i dont get involved...i just can't be bothered with the whole media, state laws and the whole social blah blah blah...

first of all...the one slab per person is STUPID and hard to enforce...a car with 4 passangers = 4 slabs, right? (one per person)

secondly...its everyones responsibility to drink responsibly, i (speak for myself) can drink a case of beer on my own in an evening. I (speak for myself) am a HAPPY drunk...i stick to drinking and then having fun (associated with drinking) with the crowd i am with.

thirdly...if you drink obscene amounts and let alcohol "take over" and you say and do things that are affecting others around you in a way that is not socially accepted (picking fights, hassling women and destroying property) YOU ARE A BLLODY MORON! and should stick to Milk! ;)

apologies if i have offended any of my fellow OpelAus friends :)

digifish
5th October 2007, 06:58 PM
but i do think it's ridiculous to limit how much alcohol someone can have, you either put on a total ban or have no ban at all, not some half baked in between idea..

Now you are adopting inconsistent positions. You are a designated driver, yet think it's ridiculous to limit how much alcohol people consume.

Ok.

digifish.

xplosv57
5th October 2007, 07:00 PM
LOL at this thread..........

GO HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apex
5th October 2007, 07:19 PM
Im not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. Im a binge drinker there is a difference :D

Go Murphy..Ok he's in a shit team so its unlikely but he’s my hero nun the less :o

Shaun
6th October 2007, 12:22 AM
I have been up there for the last 4 years. And the crowd has become alot more tame over the years. its more about making so everyone can attend.

Shaun
6th October 2007, 12:23 AM
I have been up there for the last 4 years. And the crowd has become alot more tame over the years. its more about making so everyone can attend.

I suggest Bryan and Matt you should come up one year. Its an Exprience thats for sure!!!

jim7777777
6th October 2007, 12:32 AM
Now you are adopting inconsistent positions. You are a designated driver, yet think it's ridiculous to limit how much alcohol people consume.

Ok.

digifish.

No inconsistency from where I'm sitting.

1) Being a responsible member of society by choosing not to drink when driving.

2) The police telling you how many beers you can take in with you to watch a motor race.

It has to be a troll doesn't it??? (Okay I got hooked!)

OPC
6th October 2007, 12:49 AM

yep... i totally agree... and that's just the female's he's talkin about there

Dave
6th October 2007, 01:23 AM
haha this thread is a crack up, not being a big drinker my self, i can say that when i do drink, a slab is gone in an evening......... and thats drinkign slowly, paceing my self..........

So how is one slab going to last the average drinker all day and all night ?

Simply its not.

Im not speaking for all here but most i know that drink, just drink untill there at a comfortable level for them and just maintain that.

say 3 or 6 beers in the first hr then 2-4 every hr after that...... results may vary from person to person but you get my drift :P 24 beers you say ? well that covers 4-6 hrs of the day :cool:

Apex
6th October 2007, 08:22 AM
Shesh a slab (Stienlarger) would last me a day easy!

MatsHolden
6th October 2007, 04:54 PM
I suggest Bryan and Matt you should come up one year. Its an Exprience thats for sure!!!

Went up in '03, the year of Murph's great shootout lap, Was pretty mental up the top then.

oneightoo
6th October 2007, 05:33 PM
It's a shame the best parts of the circuit to view are the 'idiot territory'.

you're quite right..

but how much damage is caused and how many fights are started between drunken yobbo's?

no one dies from speeding or drink driving either.

its the sudden stop that kills you.

[/sage mode]

lol, ba dom ching

Ok.

digifish.

riiiiiight........

Shaun
8th October 2007, 10:09 PM
Shesh a slab (Stienlarger) would last me a day easy!

Stienlarger... come on thats stuff is weak compared to the Australian Light beers !!! HEHEHE Nah Stienlarger isnt that bad. It was the only decent beer on my Air New Zealand Flights to Auckland and LA.

Apex
9th October 2007, 06:49 AM
Stienlarger... come on thats stuff is weak compared to the Australian Light beers !!! HEHEHE Nah Stienlarger isnt that bad. It was the only decent beer on my Air New Zealand Flights to Auckland and LA.

Tried the Steinlarger Pure yet? Very nice indeed!

Me and my mates ended up with a keg of Monteiths Radler on Sunday, not sure if you get it over in Australia but it come highly recommended buy me and because it’s got a citrus and spice tang to it girls love it too! Win win I say!

btm
9th October 2007, 08:05 AM
yep... i totally agree... and that's just the female's he's talkin about there

bahahahaha :D

bornwild
9th October 2007, 10:22 AM

I agree with this. I would have allowed 2 cans per person, not a bloody slab....they got off lucky.:)

Shaun
10th October 2007, 11:59 PM
Tried the Steinlarger Pure yet? Very nice indeed!

Me and my mates ended up with a keg of Monteiths Radler on Sunday, not sure if you get it over in Australia but it come highly recommended buy me and because it’s got a citrus and spice tang to it girls love it too! Win win I say!

If i come over you can buy me a Radler... If you happen to come to Sydney go to the Lowenbrau which is a German Beer Hall.. OHH Yeah!!!

Apex
11th October 2007, 07:18 AM
If i come over you can buy me a Radler... If you happen to come to Sydney go to the Lowenbrau which is a German Beer Hall.. OHH Yeah!!!

Deal. You'll have to take me for a spin in a real VXR first though! ;)