PDA

View Full Version : The Holden Torana is go!

btm
5th October 2007, 10:09 AM
Holden Torana hopes boosted

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=44084&s_rid=smh:ClassiePuff&IsPgd=0

The Holden Torana is go.

Future General Motors product plans have been leaked comfirming a mid-size rear-wheel-drive vehicle that could revive the Holden Torana for the 21st century.

The closely guarded plans were unexpectedly revealed by the UAW union after it reached a tentative agreement with GM following a two-day strike mainly concerning job security.

According to a document leaked on the internet, GM's commitments to the UAW include a "Global Alpha" vehicle to be built from 2011.

Alpha is a new medium-sized, rear-wheel-drive platform said to be under development by Holden for General Motors.

This revives speculation that the Holden Torana concept car shown at the 2004 Sydney motor show could be headed for showrooms.

The Torana boasted aggressive rear-wheel-drive styling and a twin-turbocharged V6 engine with 280kW of power.

When it was unveiled, the Holden Torana concept sparked speculation that GM would build a prestige mid-sized luxury car.

According to the leaked UAW report, the “Global Alpha” vehicle would be built in "2 styles". Best guesses are that the two styles hinted at would include a lower-cost version and a premium-priced version.

Adhering to GM's global planning aspirations the Torana would wear a number of badges, including North American brands such as Cadillac, and other brands such as Holden.

Holden spokesperson John Lindsay is tight-lipped on whether GM is indeed working on the Alpha platform and what role Holden will play in its development.

"This is something we definitely wouldn't comment on regarding future plans, future products. It's not something I'm able to get into, or add to," says Lindsay.

Industry speculation says the Alpha platform can underpin vehicles ranging from 4300-4600mm in length. The
Holden Commodore (Omega) is 4894mm long; the Toyota Camry, a key mid-sized car, is mm long. The Holden Torana concept was 4653mm long.

The Alpha's wheelbase is also reported to be about 2800mm, 44mm shorter than the Holden Torana concept and 115mm shorter than a Commodore's but plenty long enough for good interior space.

The Global Alpha would be produced at the car maker's Lordstown, Ohio, plant in the US.

That increases speculation that a Holden Torana could be built in America and exported to Australia.

Engines for the GM mid-sized car will comprise only four and six cylinders only, keeping V8s exclusive to bigger GM vehicles (including the Commodore) for differentiation.

The first GM vehicle to use the Alpha platform is expected to be the next-generation Cadillac BLS, giving the American luxury brand a more targeted rival for the BMW 3-Series.

The possibility of a smaller,locally made brother for the Commodore has been the subject of continued speculation since Holden unveiled the Torana TT36 concept at the 2004 Sydney motor show.

Former Holden managing director Denny Mooney told Drive in 2006 that the company was actively considering a new mid-size vehicle to build alongside - or even replace - the Commodore.

"I've been saying for a long time that GM has to do a [BMW] 3-Series sedan, one that is affordable," said Mooney. "As I think about Holden's manufacturing plant and our future model line-up, I feel strongly that having a car like that would be dynamite for us," Mooney says.

"You could say 10 years from now [the mid-size car] could become our core product. We could easily have a Vectra-sized [medium-sized], rear-wheel-drive performance sedan [as a Commodore replacement], or they could both be in the portfolio."

Mooney said at the time that Holden would monitor the Commodore's sales progress after the launch of the VE Commodore, which had been affected by a reduction in public demand for large cars.

Australia's large-car segment has recovered slightly in 2007, thanks to both the VE Commodore and Toyota Aurion.

Huhness
5th October 2007, 10:10 AM
The Holden Torana is go.

Future General Motors product plans have been leaked comfirming a mid-size rear-wheel-drive vehicle that could revive the Holden Torana for the 21st century.

The closely guarded plans were unexpectedly revealed by the UAW union after it reached a tentative agreement with GM following a two-day strike mainly concerning job security.

According to a document leaked on the internet, GM's commitments to the UAW include a "Global Alpha" vehicle to be built from 2011.
Alpha is a new medium-sized, rear-wheel-drive platform said to be under development by Holden for General Motors.

This revives speculation that the Holden Torana concept car shown at the 2004 Sydney motor show could be headed for showrooms.

Article (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=44084&s_rid=smh:ClassiePuff)

Looks pretty nice i didn't see it at the motor show but pictures look impressive!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/Huhness/04Torana_m_m.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/Huhness/04Torano_m2_m.jpg

Maybe a local made vectra spec car??

Huhness
5th October 2007, 10:11 AM
But i made a thread too!! :p

oneightoo
5th October 2007, 10:15 AM
ok, im going to start saving now, and by the year 2011, i'll have a torana!!!!

dam cba for blocking images!!

Tfer
5th October 2007, 10:17 AM
Well this does sound interesting.... mid sized rear wheel drive.... now as long as Holden designers get a very very large say in how the thing looks, and don't allow the Yanks to design it... it may just end up something very much worth considering :)

Time will tell....

Noir
5th October 2007, 10:17 AM
Now that is nice.

oneightoo
5th October 2007, 10:27 AM
can someone please host a link a pic? pics are blocked by my work..

btm
5th October 2007, 10:30 AM
can someone please host a link a pic? pics are blocked by my work..

ditto :(

stupid cba

btm
5th October 2007, 10:31 AM
But i made a thread too!! :p

i beat you by 1 minute :D

oneightoo
5th October 2007, 10:32 AM
i beat you by 1 minute :D

that makes you the weiner :D

btm
5th October 2007, 10:32 AM
ok, im going to start saving now, and by the year 2011, i'll have a torana!!!!

put away $20-30 per day from now and you'll be fine :)

Huhness
5th October 2007, 11:28 AM
Hotlinked images.. :dance:

This car could be a good concept if Holden designers are given control over the entire car! Yanks just seem to make everything they touch tacky and stupid..

If this does come out and looks and performs good i'd probably be trading up to one :D

oneightoo
5th October 2007, 11:36 AM
thanks for the links :)

Wraith
5th October 2007, 11:50 AM
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO :dance:

I hope it's true......I've been waiting a long time for this and I absolutely loved the TT36 concept - even offered to by it, but was flat rejected, being told "no amount of money will by it, it stays with GMH !"

It's all a sentimental thing for me, my first 3 cars were Toranas - LC 4 door sedan, followed by LC GTR, which I modified over 5 years to a 9sec 1/4 mile beast and then came an SL/R 5000, beautful car to drive at the time (all these were owned from '84-'92)

I hope this new Torana - if it comes to life - looks as good as the TT36 or better and not some bland or copy shape of something unappealing.....

btm
5th October 2007, 11:53 AM
what do we all think about cost....??

50K+ region??

oneightoo
5th October 2007, 11:56 AM
for the twin turbo? yeah 50 region.. and that'd be an absolute bargain.. i wonder if hsv would get their hands on them..

the base model would have to be n/a, around the 30's mark i reckon..

btm
5th October 2007, 11:58 AM
i think i just found my next car... i'd happily hold onto the astra for the next few years just to save the cash buy one of these...

oneightoo
5th October 2007, 12:04 PM
i think i'd wanna see what it looks like in the flesh first.. it'll be totally different to the concept by the it comes out (if indeed it does)..

btm
5th October 2007, 12:06 PM
my next car was always going to be either a vert, 4WD or a V8... oh the decisions

oneightoo
5th October 2007, 12:07 PM
so pretty much it could have been anything?

i think im set now for my next car, this may just be the next car after that..

Vectracious
5th October 2007, 12:26 PM
my next car was always going to be either a vert, 4WD or a V8... oh the decisions

If HSV had done the Coupe` 4 in a convertible, you would have been set.

btm
5th October 2007, 12:30 PM
If HSV had done the Coupe` 4 in a convertible, you would have been set.

so true... but imagine the cost!!

but when i said 4WD i meant a proper one for off-roading

Vectracious
5th October 2007, 12:37 PM
but when i said 4WD i meant a proper one for off-roading

Gotcha

http://www.automotoportal.com/media/images/vijesti/060915002.jpg

And enough post whoring by me.....

Are they the only pics GM has released of what they reckon the Torana will look like - 2011 is a long way away...

btm
5th October 2007, 12:43 PM
i love the rangerover... if i had $120K to spend on a car it would be high up on 'the list'

that one above is just pure pimpin' :D

skulless
5th October 2007, 01:57 PM
i definitely have to get my hands on a commodore if i have the monies, awesome power and aggresive looking

Wraith
5th October 2007, 02:46 PM

LOL welcome to my World, I love all the above types too, especially the V8's :)

Will eventually have one of each and then some others too......oh yes the decisions - which one ???, I love sooooo many of them, am prepared to wait til 2010 for the HSV VE Coupe, but if a Torana's on the way I'll wait further :)

GreyRex
5th October 2007, 02:49 PM
Be interesting. It's so far away

btm
5th October 2007, 03:53 PM
LOL welcome to my World, I love all the above types too, especially the V8's :)
at least you've already got one of them wraith!!! :)

xplosv57
5th October 2007, 06:38 PM
Bang a 6.0 litre in the 'Torana' and i'm there!!!!!!!

Although the TT V6 would be nice too, not sure why Holden still hasn't released that motor as yet, they were supposed to have done it for the VZ range, awesome match for the XR6T!!!!

But such a nice looking car, loved it at the motor show last year!!

bornwild
5th October 2007, 07:55 PM
Vectracious, this is a 4wd. (http://www.bowler-offroad.com/Nemesis/NemesisENGINE.htm) They claim it has around 500hp :cool: I saw it in the last Fifth Gear episode....ridiculous!

As for the Torana, I saw it at the motorshow a couple of years back and I always wondered why they didn't release that instead of the new VE Commodore :confused:

The Torana would have been a much larger success cause it's compact and bloody quick with that TTV6. :)

I dig that Torana and can only applaud them for 'deciding' to go ahead. :)

Vectracious
5th October 2007, 08:30 PM
Vectracious, this is a 4wd. (http://www.bowler-offroad.com/Nemesis/NemesisENGINE.htm) They claim it has around 500hp :cool: I saw it in the last Fifth Gear episode....ridiculous!

Mid engined 4WD, what will they think of next!!

I'd still go for the RR Sport purely for pimp/bling value - stick some 22's (or whatever) on it - completely **** up the ride handling but hey :p

Shaun
5th October 2007, 10:10 PM
If the build it people will buy it..

bornwild
5th October 2007, 10:50 PM
Mid engined 4WD, what will they think of next!!

I'd still go for the RR Sport purely for pimp/bling value - stick some 22's (or whatever) on it - completely **** up the ride handling but hey :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI-yYuYaAEM

:cool::eek:

MatsHolden
6th October 2007, 05:02 PM
As for the Torana, I saw it at the motorshow a couple of years back and I always wondered why they didn't release that instead of the new VE Commodore :confused:

The concept was only built on an old platform as the Zeta platform can't be shortened, so there wasn't a suitable platform at that stage.

On a side note..
The main purpose for the TT36 concept was to test reaction to Holden's new direction for the Commodore. For the people with an eye for detail, you would notice that the steering wheel and a few other interior components are VE.

Wraith
8th October 2007, 03:04 PM
Yep, I was aware of the above, was actually very upset when I read about It, they revealed this 'little' fact way after pics of the TT36 hit circulation though....

Let all of us Torana freaks get all creamed up and then drop the bomb, oh it's just to test peoples reaction to it's styling, if most like it - which they did - we'll use similar design cues on the new VE Commodore, nothing wrong with that, just I for one would've prefered a production TT36 or TT60 myself :D

MatsHolden
8th October 2007, 04:46 PM
we'll use similar design cues on the new VE Commodore, nothing wrong with that, just I for one would've prefered a production TT36 or TT60 myself :D

Sketches close to the finalised styling of the VE were completed in around '02, so was more using design cues from the VE on the TT36, and warming the public as to what to expect with the VE. If they waited to see reaction after the Torana to decide the direction of VE styling it would've been way to late.

Would love a small RWD return! from Holden!

btm
8th October 2007, 04:50 PM
Would love a small RWD return! from Holden!
or from anyone for that matter...

Wraith
8th October 2007, 05:00 PM
Agree and hopefully it'll be a small to medium and not another largish sized vehicle.... :)

dug74
8th October 2007, 09:48 PM
Sounds good...looks good...

But it will be crap....

This explains it all to me...

"The Global Alpha would be produced at the car maker's Lordstown, Ohio, plant in the US."

"That increases speculation that a Holden Torana could be built in America and exported to Australia."

Cheers
DUG74

Huhness
9th October 2007, 08:49 AM

But it will be crap....

"The Global Alpha would be produced at the car maker's Lordstown, Ohio, plant in the US."

"That increases speculation that a Holden Torana could be built in America and exported to Australia."

Cheers
DUG74

But But!! Awww i hope its not crap... :( I hate american cars..

Wraith
9th October 2007, 09:15 AM
I hope not too :(

I'm so looking forward to a modern day version of a Torana, I hope it's turns out good.....

btm
9th October 2007, 09:19 AM
fingers crossed!

bornwild
9th October 2007, 10:29 AM

But it will be crap....

Cheers
DUG74

Agreed, if it's built in America......:help:

btm
23rd October 2007, 01:00 PM
a bit more news... some old, some new

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,22612847-21822,00.html?from=CG_email

Torana TT36 concept a reality?

GM is planning on creating a a rear-wheel-drive, 3 Series-type at a much more affordable price.

A new GM car with its roots in the Holden Torana and a mechanical package developed from the VE Commodore, could be on the road by 2011. It will be rear-wheel-drive like the Commodore, but smaller and linked to the Torana TT36 concept seen at the 2004 Australian International Motor Show.

The idea for a born-again Torana; probably to be called the Pontiac G6; was first floated by the former head of GM Holden, Peter Hanenberger, who believed it was the right car to give GM a prestige rival to the BMW 3 Series.

Development of the car is now under way and General Motors vice-president of product development, Bob Lutz, confirms details first leaked through the powerful United Automobile Workers union in the US.

Lutz, speaking during a visit to Melbourne to check on technical work at Fishermans Bend, says the compact will be in production within five years.

The UAW has already revealed it will be built at a factory at Lordstown, Ohio and will be developed from the Global Alpha mechanical platform.

Lutz says the Torana TT36 is a good pointer to the newcomer. “From a size and proportions standpoint that's what we're looking at,” he says.

“That's about the size were looking at, but that wasn't completely worked out. That was a sort of truncated Commodore, the components in that.”

Lutz says the new compact would work well with the Pontiac brand, which is already committed to a re-badged and re-styled Commodore which will be sold as the G8.

“Pontiac wants to be a sporting rear-wheel-drive brand,” Lutz says.

“So we have several brands that would be potential beneficiaries of a small rear-wheel-drive architecture and ... Holden is, obviously, one of the logical ones.”

He says the car could give GM a crucial point of difference in a crowded marketplace. “Because everybody has highly competent front-wheel-drive sedans and they all look more or less the same,” Lutz says.

“And the way to get a slightly different proportion and to do something different, because I'm a firm believer nowadays that if you want to grab market share you have to do something different. "

“If you do the same thing that everybody else is doing and you just do it a little bit better you'll kind of hold your own. But I'm a firm believer that, hey, when everybody else is doing small front-wheel-driver cars, which are excellent cars; but let's do something different for Pontiac.”

Even if the car is targeted at the 3 Series it will be cheaper.

“Well, you'd definitely never price at that level,” Lutz says. “That's the whole premise ... a 3 Series-type car but priced at a more affordable level."

“You'd basically have 3 Series ride, handling, steering, all of the dynamic qualities of a smallish rear-wheel-drive sedan; the lighter weight, the ability to use four-cylinder engines; and not have to carry around a big V6 or V8 lump of an engine up there."

“And you'd have a very nimble, very agile, dynamically pleasing car reminiscent or great driving German rear-wheel-drive sedans but at a much lower price point.”

Huhness
23rd October 2007, 01:12 PM
Can they really already start comparing this to a 3 series or let alone a EURO CAR!!?? Unless they REALLY pick up their act GM cars built in US and AUS are quite poorly built. Their Euro partners even for ford seem to produce much nicer cars!

I dunno i'm just venting because even though Australian made cars arn't all that bad really.. but they arn't ever going to up to scratch with german cars!

And guess what.. AMERICANS WILL RUIN THIS! really they have no taste! Bigger is better! They will throw a million features into this car and it will look good on paper thats all america is a about! But when its put to the test this car will be another tasteless bad quality piece of junk! :mad:

bornwild
23rd October 2007, 01:13 PM
The Problem with Aussie companies is they try to recreate a BMW or Mercedes feel.....be original FFS!..People love BMW because it has sporty handling, they love Merc cause they are GT cars.....they can't love Holden and Ford for the same reasons! :)

Let's hope the Torana brings at least some originality back :)

Wraith
23rd October 2007, 01:24 PM
Yes, lets hope it'll be a good outcome, worthy of wearing the much loved Torana name plate.....

USC
24th October 2007, 09:55 AM
I would consider buying one if they match the price of a daewoo epica:D

btm
24th October 2007, 10:01 AM
I would consider buying one if they match the price of a daewoo epica:D

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/663/castlewideweb430x293or6.jpg

poita
24th October 2007, 10:14 AM
nice pic btm :D

Wraith
24th October 2007, 10:32 AM
LOL agree, that's a good one BTM.... :D

USC
24th October 2007, 12:35 PM
U r a hero BTM...u should join HEROES series 2 and show the world your powers...

Huhness
24th October 2007, 12:55 PM
U r a hero BTM...u should join HEROES series 2 and show the world your powers...
MY SARCASM MEASUR-O-METER IS SHOWING HIGH READINGS! :eek:

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.. BOOM!

oneightoo
24th October 2007, 12:59 PM

was that a "comeback"?

did you take offence to the picture?

delicate? hug?

btm
24th October 2007, 01:08 PM
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3405/hugej2.gif

oneightoo
24th October 2007, 01:09 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA

love it!

USC
24th October 2007, 02:02 PM
hahahaha...nah...no way...it was not a come back...I thought it was funny too...;)

thanks for the hug...lol....:p

Huhness
24th October 2007, 02:03 PM
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3405/hugej2.gif
Whats this thread about again??:confused:

USC
24th October 2007, 02:10 PM
Whats this thread about again??:confused:

Your mum...

Just kidding....

Huhness
24th October 2007, 02:11 PM
Your mum...

Just kidding....
Hahahaha Mum jokes!! :boohoo:

btm
24th October 2007, 02:18 PM
long story short... i want a torana and i hope holden dont dissapoint me :)

USC
24th October 2007, 03:34 PM
trust me they will for the first few series...:p

btm
24th October 2007, 03:45 PM
trust me they will for the first few series...:p

seems to be holden's thing...