PDA

View Full Version : Vectra Stereo

ZC_74
5th October 2007, 07:28 AM
Guys

Have decided I will go for an Alpine head unit in the car. It is model no 9881. Initially I was hung up on the fact that it wouldn't display anything in the screen display and that the steering wheel controls wouldn't work.

After finally seeing Ginge's car, the Alpine unit fits in nicely. Therefore, the only thing I want to happen is to find out what additional unit to buy to make the steering wheel controls work.

On the left side of the wheel is three buttons. In disc mode one changes disc in the changer while the other two change tracks. In radio mode, these three buttons navigate between stations (I think, haven't used them for a while).

On the right side, there are the two volume buttons plus one button which navigates between, FM1, FM2, AM and finally CD.

So what I would like to happen is that the right side will continue to do exactly the same as what it is now. On the left side, I would hope that in radio mode, the buttons will continue to navigate stations as before while in CD mode I would hope that one button could navigate the folders of a mp3 disc while the other two would go up and down between tracks.

Does this make sense :confused: .

Can anyone confirm the right module to but to allow an Alpine unit to work withiun the confines of the canbus.

Cheers

tuzinski
5th October 2007, 09:06 AM
dont think you can use the steering controls with a aftermarket h/u.

this is the same h/u i want to get.
how do you like it?

ZC_74
5th October 2007, 09:11 AM
dont think you can use the steering controls with a aftermarket h/u.

this is the same h/u i want to get.
how do you like it?

No, that's not quite correct.

If you buy a blaupunkt head unit you have nearly 100% probability of all steering wheel controls working with a control module. It gets harder once you go to different brands.

I still believe (no quotes) that others will work. I know on the Vectra-c forum from the UK that there are a lot of guys who have aftermarket stereos and they are not all Blaupunkt.

Tfer
5th October 2007, 02:39 PM
Someone has done it here as well with an Astra AH so maybe check the ICE section, or PM ChrisR as I am sure he knows :D

ZC_74
5th October 2007, 04:10 PM
tfer

yeah have spoken to Chris but he said it would only work with Blaupunkt. However, as I said, have seen numerous Veccy's with Alpine and other brands.