PDA

View Full Version : Korean BMW 1 Series

MatsHolden
3rd October 2007, 04:18 PM
Ok, inspiration from other cars is used all the time in the Automotive Industry, but this is just lazy... Hyundai have all but copied the BMW 1 series (except the front which looks Corolla inspired). The model designation even has a BMW ring to it... i30.
http://www.launeauto.com/images/stories/marques/Hyundai/HYUNDAII30ARRIERE.jpg
http://www.loggyboy.com/images/shops/BMW1Series/BMW1Series.jpg

btm
3rd October 2007, 04:22 PM
is there not a plagiarism law that comes into play here???

oneightoo
3rd October 2007, 04:22 PM
lol, plaguerised much?

USC
3rd October 2007, 04:24 PM
i reckon Hyundai has done very well here...looks heaps better than the Barina!! lol!! even looks tough with the sharp lines!:clap:

MatsHolden
3rd October 2007, 04:27 PM
is there not a plagiarism law that comes into play here???

Not as such. Styling is a very difficlut thing to own. But in the design industry, if you want to be respected you have to be original.

MatsHolden
3rd October 2007, 04:28 PM
i reckon Hyundai has done very well here...looks heaps better than the Barina!! lol!! even looks tough with the sharp lines!:clap:

You mean BMW...

MK
3rd October 2007, 04:37 PM
i would buy one as a second car...wonder if they will have a 3dr version?

digifish
3rd October 2007, 04:37 PM
Not as such. Styling is a very difficlut thing to own. But in the design industry, if you want to be respected you have to be original.

You can only patent (design patent) an exact design. Variations on the design are new and so are OK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_patent

The only way they can get into trouble is if they copy it exactly (or very closely)...

digifish

MatsHolden
3rd October 2007, 04:41 PM
You can only patent (design patent) an exact design. Variations on the design are new and so are OK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_patent

The only way they can get into trouble is if they copy it exactly (or very closely)...

digifish

Yeh it's very difficult to prove. An example I know of (not automotive) but a certain company copied a part of a product identically, but adjusted the surface texture, which was enough to deem it different.

Dee
3rd October 2007, 06:04 PM
i thought that exact same thing when i saw the ad late last night .... hmmmm

xplosv57
3rd October 2007, 06:18 PM
LOL but let me guess, the Hyundai is FWD?? One thing the BMW has over it!! And i doubt the Hyundai i30 is any comparison to the BMW 130i in build quality, performance and safety!!!

RobCDX
3rd October 2007, 07:20 PM
haha they both look a bit like the AH astra... thats if the astra wasnt built on the design of the beamer 1 series... compare the 1 series to an AH astra from the front windscreen back.

Vectracious
3rd October 2007, 08:53 PM
I saw the ad last night - I think Huyndai is just saying "**** it - we'll just go for the Europeans" - looks pretty good though...

i30...... 130i..... hmmmmmm :p

skulless
3rd October 2007, 09:54 PM
they looked pretty decent but i'll still go for the bmw at any day

USC
4th October 2007, 12:46 AM
not sure how the bmw130i goes but the 120i is rubbish..drove my mate`s and had no guts...interior is ok, no leg space at the back though!

USC
4th October 2007, 12:47 AM
they looked pretty decent but i'll still go for the bmw at any day
bmw 130i will be almost $80-$90k(why spend that much on a series 1??) on the road vs hyundai for only $20k or so...

Shaun
4th October 2007, 01:32 AM
Looks nice. And its Korean too guys.. Waiting for the " twats" to start whinging about Korean built cars again !!!

rjastra
4th October 2007, 09:38 AM
Every report i have read from the euro press rate the i30 (and the KIa CEED) as a better overall car than the new Corolla.

The Koreans are learning fast.

Wraith
4th October 2007, 09:43 AM

I agree :)

I too would consider one as a 2nd or 3rd everyday runnabout hack...

JasonGilholme
4th October 2007, 09:51 AM
seriuosly though, if you want a BMW its not like your gonna accidentally walk into a Hyundai dealer and mistake the i30 for the 130i LOL

tuzinski
4th October 2007, 10:17 AM
nice car, but its gutless.
you turn the aircon on and you can feel the power drain ALOT!

i think if you got BMW badges on this not many people would be able to tell the diff from the back!

Shaun
4th October 2007, 11:42 AM
I like it and i would buy one if i was in the market for a decent small hatch.

oneightoo
4th October 2007, 11:52 AM
remove the badges, lower it, bigger rims, tints and this thing would look good..

anyone know the specs? powerwise?

tuzinski
4th October 2007, 11:58 AM
remove the badges, lower it, bigger rims, tints and this thing would look good..

anyone know the specs? powerwise?

v4
2l petrol - 105kw
1.6 diesel - 85kw

oneightoo
4th October 2007, 12:01 PM
at least it's a 2 litre.. that thing should be rather swift on the road..

USC
4th October 2007, 12:21 PM
I like it and i would buy one if i was in the market for a decent small hatch.

I agree with you! the engine has similar power to a mazda 3!

Shaun
4th October 2007, 12:38 PM
The I30 was Designed in Hyundai's German Design Studios. Hence why it has a Hint of BMW styling. The last Astra had a Hint of BMW 3 Series Coupe Design to it as well.

rjastra
4th October 2007, 12:59 PM
I think i posted this before... Kia pro ceed. Chassis/engines are essentially the same as the i30. Except this one gets a turbo 2L

http://digiads.com.au/car-news/new/images/article_10750-img_1.jpg

digifish
4th October 2007, 01:18 PM
The diesel is like 21K which is excellent value....probably a much better drive than the petrol.

digifish

USC
4th October 2007, 01:19 PM
OMG! this is like a copy of the astra!

Tfer
4th October 2007, 01:31 PM
Looks nice. And its Korean too guys.. Waiting for the " twats" to start whinging about Korean built cars again !!!

Why the **** do you have to say these things Shaun?

Oh dear... it would appear you can't help yourself, but feel the need to have a fight. :rolleyes:

Well personally.... its still a Hyundai, regardless, and hence I couldn't be ****ed about it.... its an appliance; a brand I am not interested in.

oneightoo
4th October 2007, 02:49 PM
Well personally.... its still a Hyundai, regardless, and hence I couldn't be ****ed about it.... its an appliance; a brand I am not interested in.

lol @ appliance..

digifish
4th October 2007, 03:24 PM
its an appliance; a brand I am not interested in.

How is any Holden any less of an 'appliance'? Particularly in comparison to the sloppy metal that is made locally?

Hyundai is a brand that is just starting to hit home with both value, design and quality. So you aren't interested, fine, but anyone who would buy a Holden, Mazda, Ford, Suzuki, Nissan etc should probably check them out too.

...and for the record I don't nor have never owned a Hyundai, but I appreciate a brand that is doing the right things, and if I had to have the latest Barina or a Getz I would take the Getz any day.

digifish

Tfer
4th October 2007, 03:30 PM
How is any Holden any less of an 'appliance'? Particularly in comparison to the sloppy metal that is made locally?

Hyundai is a brand that is just starting to hit home with both value, design and quality. So you aren't interested, fine, but anyone who would buy a Holden, Mazda, Ford, Suzuki, Nissan etc should probably check them out too.

...and for the record I don't nor have never owned a Hyundai, but I appreciate a brand that is doing the right things, and if I had to have the latest Barina or a Getz I would take the Getz any day.

digifish

Did I say that Holden, and lets also say Opel, BMW, Mercedes, Alfa, Ford, Toyota, Suzuki, Audi, Honda, Nissan (and the others I have left out) are not an appliance?.... nope, surely didn't.

I focussed on Hyundai, and gave my opinion. And thanks for allowing me not to be interested in Hyundai.

Regardless, I do not like the brand, and therefore stated my opinion, but did not sledge other members.

Further, I wouldn't choose a Barina or a i30 as they are both from South Korean Companies, companies that I am not interested in. Further, I am not interested in Australian built cars atm.... as none of them appeal to me.... so we agree on that point (build quality I am not sure of, as have not looked into it).

My 2.53245 cents (rounded to the nearest 5 decimal places)...

USC
4th October 2007, 03:45 PM
I think you are the appliance here mate...we need to disconnect you from the power point....;)

I dont mind hyundai`s (not the old ones of course) but the new models are good value for money and they give unlimited kms warranty with their cars which even BMW cant do(bmw only offer 2 years). i think it would be a great 2nd car.

Tfer
4th October 2007, 03:49 PM
I think you are the appliance here mate...we need to disconnect you from the power point....;)

sorry forgot.... am I supposed to insult everyone here :rolleyes:

sorry.... power source is internal.

And still I stand by my original decision.... and further would not consider the i30 as a second car.

oneightoo
4th October 2007, 03:57 PM
I dont mind hyundai`s (not the old ones of course) but the new models are good value for money and they give unlimited kms warranty with their cars which even BMW cant do(bmw only offer 2 years). i think it would be a great 2nd car.

it's just the name tho isnt it.. no one trusts hyundai's..

give it 10 years of good solid cars, and it might change the opinions of people..

Tfer
4th October 2007, 03:59 PM
it's just the name tho isnt it.. no one trusts hyundai's..

give it 10 years of good solid cars, and it might change the opinions of people..

Matt... totally agree.

Same thing happened with Honda.... no one thought the little bubble car (Civic) would amount to anything.

No doubt in the future, I will be proven wrong... and happy to admit that... but for now, I do not trust nor like them.

USC
4th October 2007, 04:14 PM
I think one thing that lets the hyundai down is the badge..haha..they need a new design I reckon.

I dont care if you hate hyundais...I just trying to open your mind. things do improve with time and technology.

Just like those little daewoo barinas...they will surely get better and safer in the next couple of years.

Tfer
4th October 2007, 04:15 PM
I think one thing that lets the hyundai down is the badge..haha..they need a new design I reckon.

I dont car if you hate hyundais...I just trying to open your mind. things do improve with time and technology.

Just like those little daewoo barinas...they will surely get better and safer in the next couple of years.

Fair call, and I respect that.

entice
4th October 2007, 04:25 PM
so has anyone owned a Hee-Un-day here?

I know 2 people that have owned one.

both purchased due to price.

Neither would buy one again.

I had the (dis)pleasure of driving one for a week, whilst the wife's car was in for repairs. It was a 1 year old car, earlier this year. Elantra.

I handed it back after a few days as my 33 year Old Fiat 124 Sportc was a better, and safer drive, In my opinion. In comparison to teh Elantra, the 124 was:
Predictable in its acceleration (and faster)
predictable in its steering (ie, the wheel would recenter after you took teh corner and let go of the steering)
had better brakes
had a more ergonomic interior (the clock and guages in teh Fiat are where they should be)

So, In my experience, I wouldnt even contemplate anotehr from that brand at least for another decade....not even as a loan car/hire car!

oneightoo
4th October 2007, 04:26 PM

example - mazda

had a crappy badge, made crappy cars..

revamp the badge, revamp the cars..

good looking badge, make good cars..

oneightoo
4th October 2007, 04:28 PM

not owned, but my ex had an excel (the one with the really ghey looking sports bodykit on it..

i drove it around for about 3 months.. hated every second of it..

R3N
4th October 2007, 04:34 PM
I reckon Hyundai has come a long way, I actually like the look of the Santa Fe, Sonata and Grandeur. No idea how they drive though. Face it, price dictates what 70-80% of people buy.

The average buyer perceives the Hyundais to be good value for money, I'd pick it over a Kia or Daewoo anyday (btw Kia is owned by Hyundai I think). Especially the Sonata and Grandeur, which gives the impression of elegance and luxury without the fat price tag (to your average white goods buyer)

Wraith
4th October 2007, 04:41 PM
Hyundai's certainly are great value to buy, but I've heard service charges are very high on average, for such cheap cars....

Also unless I've been miss-informed I remember a grease monkey telling me that most of the mechanical running gear used in Hyundai's are from the Mitsubishi parts bin ! :confused:

xplosv57
4th October 2007, 06:12 PM

We got 2 Excels at home, and to be honest, they're not such a bad car!! We bought one new (mums) and was the biggest, most powerful and cheapest out of all the other competition we looked at!

Coming up to 10 years old now and other than me destroying the auto racing it when i drove it for a year as an 18 year old, we have had no dramas with it! Same goes with the other Excel we got (sisters), went without servicing for roughly 40-50000km and still hasn't skipped a beat, even without any TLC from its owner!!!

As much as i'd probably not buy one myself (as they have nothing with serious performance), for a cheap, reliable daily car, i wouldn't look past Hyundai, i believe they shouldn't have the same reputation the other dodgy Korean carmakers have!!!

blueraven
5th October 2007, 01:04 AM
i just sold my missus accent, she had it from new in 02. apparently in the first few months it had 2 gearboxes, but since then, all the way up to 120km, it was completely trouble free, and was in pretty good condition when we traded it.

i wouldnt buy one, but hyundai has come along way, the new sonata is a very nice car for the money. and they are working on a 2.ol turbo, rear wheel drive version on the tiburon...now that i am interested in.

Tfer
5th October 2007, 10:34 AM
I'd pick it over a Kia or Daewoo anyday (btw Kia is owned by Hyundai I think). Especially the Sonata and Grandeur, which gives the impression of elegance and luxury without the fat price tag (to your average white goods buyer)

Is a white good an appliance? :p

Tfer
16th October 2007, 10:53 AM
Actually got to really look hard at one today, and the worst thing about the styling of this car in my opinion is the "nothing" nose job.... guess they just couldn't graft the BMW nose onto the copy :rolleyes:

But each time they bring out a new model, they do appear to be styled better.... still hate the brand though :p

bornwild
16th October 2007, 11:30 AM
Hyundai have come a long way but.....a lot more to go :)

Wraith
16th October 2007, 01:17 PM
they are working on a 2.ol turbo, rear wheel drive version on the tiburon...now that i am interested in.

hmmmm, that would be very interesting...

A collegue of mine here at work has a current model Tiburon and I've checked it out up close and o/a not too bad at all, now one of these with RWD and turbo 2.0ltr, would almost be very similar to an S15 ;)

Shaun
17th October 2007, 11:13 AM
Hyundai has come along way. Everyone bags them out. But honestly how many Excels do you still see on the road . And 99% of them still run trouble free. I owned a 2000 Excel which i bought brand new. And out of all the cars i have owned it would have to been the most reliable car i owned. I had an issue with coil packs arcing out. Compared to my old SRi T it was a walk in the park far as maintance.

bornwild
17th October 2007, 12:19 PM
Hyundai has come along way. Everyone bags them out. But honestly how many Excels do you still see on the road . And 99% of them still run trouble free. I owned a 2000 Excel which i bought brand new. And out of all the cars i have owned it would have to been the most reliable car i owned. I had an issue with coil packs arcing out. Compared to my old SRi T it was a walk in the park far as maintance.

And how much did you enjoy it :D

Shaun
17th October 2007, 12:45 PM
And how much did you enjoy it :D

" Trouble free motoring is Enjoyable" . Point im making tool is just because there cheap cars dosent mean they are all that bad. Again your suffering from foot in mouth bornsoft

bornwild
17th October 2007, 01:37 PM
" Trouble free motoring is Enjoyable" . Point im making tool is just because there cheap cars dosent mean they are all that bad. Again your suffering from foot in mouth bornsoft

You are, most likely, the biggest bogan I've ever come across.:rolleyes:

My point is, they are boring cars; not bad, but awfully boring and non-rewarding cars to drive.

J
18th October 2007, 10:44 AM
My point is, they are boring cars; not bad, but awfully boring and non-rewarding cars to drive.

Again with every rule, there are exceptions :) I certainly don't mind the current Tiburon and Sonata (pity the latter does not come as a V6 manual!). The upcoming RWD sedan and coupe are even more promising! :D

Shaun
21st October 2007, 12:02 PM
You are, most likely, the biggest bogan I've ever come across.:rolleyes:

You are a ****ing tool. You are the most Narrow minded ****wit i have ever known . You fit the Bogan role very well . Hears a hint for you. How about you stop being a Wanker as you will go blind if you havent already done so. Ohh and go on run to admin about me calling you a ****wit ,****ing tool and a wanker.. Go on cry. Send me a PM too asking me to stop posting aftet you post. Wont make a difference i will still do it everytime you post shit that you have no idea about.

Hyundai isnt selling to a market that wants Preformance. They sell into markets that are Practical . And thats a winning formula that all manafacturers would like to emulate. Hyundai Australia has sold over 630,000 new units in just over 21 years. Considering they have established them selves in the Australian Market Place very quickly over the last 21 years its no mean feat. Mercedes Benz Would be luck if they have sold that many units in Australia in the last 40 years .

I seen the i 30 again last night and VALUE for money it shits all over the Astra you drive. I would consider one. It also dosent look that boring to me. They may not be a POWERHOUSE do drive but Hyundai isnt claiming they will beat a Hot Hatch. There marketing is aiming at Practical Motoring at an Affordable Price.

A Few Facts About Hyundai.

. Hyundai is up there when it comes R & D. Hyundai Invest over $ A5.6 Billon Aunnually on Research and Development .

Also Hyundai Supply Advanced Electronic's to Leading Automotive Marks across the globe.

Thats just touching on the surface Bornsoft.

I suggest you do some home work before posting anymore. As they Build and sell a decent car and the i30 was designed by an EX BMW designer. So how bad can it really be.

MatsHolden
21st October 2007, 12:26 PM
Since the reason for this thread was mainly to discuss the styling and form of the vehicle, I thought o'd get it back on track..

This is the concept released last year which formed the basis for the i30. I still stand by what I said in the beginning, that it is a 'lazy' design in terms of styling, especially with Thomas Bürkle having been with BMW previously, does raise questions as to how much scope he has as a designer. However I do believe the original concept was a lot more original than what the production variant became after the development and refinement process.
http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/Hyundai/Arnejs/New/ex_b04.jpg

Shaun
21st October 2007, 12:30 PM
Not really matt. Take for example. The Astra G coupe borrowed from the BMW 3 series coupe when you look at it.

Its not uncommon for brands to emulate each other. The New c Class has a hint of BMW in the back of it. The VE Wagon has a hint of a BMW wagon and Audi wagon in the back of it.

Its not uncommon considering the people move from manfacturer to manfacturer these days and the design of the car really belongs to the designer as its there work not the manfacturers work.

At the end of the day the i30 will sell strong . With a diesel thats using 4.7ltr/100km i believe its going to be a winner all round. Another notch in Hyundai belt .

MatsHolden
21st October 2007, 12:34 PM
Not really matt. Take for example. The Astra G coupe borrowed from the BMW 3 series coupe when you look at it.

Its not uncommon for brands to emulate each other. The New c Class has a hint of BMW in the back of it. The VE Wagon has a hint of a BMW wagon and Audi wagon in the back of it.

Its not uncommon considering the people move from manfacturer to manfacturer these days and the design of the car really belongs to the designer as its there work not the manfacturers work.

It's not uncommon to borrow styling cues, yes, however the i30 does a lot more than borrow styling cues. You look at the Astra G, you don't immediately think 3 Series unlike with the i30 you immediately think 1 Series. And unfortunately, it's ALWAYS the companies work. That's the unfortunate thing with being an Industrial Designer, unless the designer of course owns the company.

maloo97
21st October 2007, 12:40 PM
Saw it last night. I have no dramas with it. Sr model is fine no real little defects i could pick up on. Maybe a crappy little box and the door inserts being plastic could mark easy besides that i think Hyundai have done well and will do well. There not going for the Preformance market thats for sure but for a 2.0 with 110kw's not bad at all. It will sh!t over the Korean made barina thats for sure. Id Seriouslyconsider buying one for a run around or everyday car. Now in saying that, You going to bag me out?

Shaun
21st October 2007, 12:41 PM
It's not uncommon to borrow styling cues, yes, however the i30 does a lot more than borrow styling cues. You look at the Astra G, you don't immediately think 3 Series unlike with the i30 you immediately think 1 Series.

i can clearly see it in the Astra G. Maybe your not looking hard enough. when you look at a SXi it stands out like you wouldnt believe.

As for the i30 it has a hint of BMW 1 series. for a start the wheel base shorter. there are hints of BMW in the rear but the front is nothing like a BMW.

At the end of the day Hyundai have come up with a winning formula and it will sell the i30 in volume. and thats what counts.

MatsHolden
21st October 2007, 12:42 PM
Speaking of doing more than just borrowing design cues...

Take the WM Statesman and new C63... I found it interesting.
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/images/wm-caprice-statesman-3-big.jpg
http://www.automobilemag.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0707_c+2008_mercedes_benz_c63_amg+3.jpg

MatsHolden
21st October 2007, 12:44 PM
i can clearly see it in the Astra G. Maybe your not looking hard enough. when you look at a SXi it stands out like you wouldnt believe.

As for the i30 it has a hint of BMW 1 series. for a start the wheel base shorter. there are hints of BMW in the rear but the front is nothing like a BMW.

At the end of the day Hyundai have come up with a winning formula and it will sell the i30 in volume. and thats what counts.

For the Astra G you have to look hard. As I said i'm referring wholy to styling, wheelbase really doesn't play too much of a part in that department unless it's drastically different and as in my first post I stated that the front isn't BMW like, only the rear 3/4 view.

Shaun
21st October 2007, 12:47 PM
You know the difference Matt. No one here would have ever commented about that as its " Mercedes Benz" who have come out with the C class after the Statesman was released.

And Mercedes Benz is seen as being at the cutting edge. But when it comes down to it they copy others makes as well..

But when Hyundai do it everyone is " that because they are rubbish" . But its double standards.

MatsHolden
21st October 2007, 12:55 PM
But when Hyundai do it everyone is " that because they are rubbish" . But its double standards.

That's true, and I don't hold Mercedes in any higher regard to Hyundai when it comes to 'copying' design. It's unfortunate that people percieve that because a manufacturer is superior then everything they do is original and right on the mark.

Shaun
21st October 2007, 01:06 PM
That's true, and I don't hold Mercedes in any higher regard to Hyundai when it comes to 'copying' design. It's unfortunate that people percieve that because a manufacturer is superior then everything they do is original and right on the mark.

I can honestly say they are far from being on the mark. I would hold Hyundai in higher regards to being on the mark in terms of quality and reliablity. Even the VE commodore is closer to being spot on in comparison.

And to anyone who wishes to challange me on this call (Bornsoft) i say go for it because i am confident i can say what i have said and know its quite spot on.

Vectracious
21st October 2007, 02:42 PM
Mercedes performed quite poorly a few years ago in a customer survey on satisfaction - and one of the biggest gripes customers did have was about quality issues....

Shaun
21st October 2007, 02:51 PM
Mercedes performed quite poorly a few years ago in a customer survey on satisfaction - and one of the biggest gripes customers did have was about quality issues....

And nothing has changed.. Hence some of the reason Chrysler side of the company has been sold off. So they can get the Mercedes Benz Product back to a level that is required to keep up there.

Personally i think Audi and Volvo are up there in terms Quality.

rjastra
21st October 2007, 04:18 PM
What people also forget is that designers move between manufacturers. And really, just like musicians, they tend to settle on a particular style.

Have a look at the XK Jag and the Aston Martin. Same designer.

And you can understand why the I30 has some BMW 1 series hints in it if one of the designers was formally with BMW.

Shaun
21st October 2007, 04:45 PM
What people also forget is that designers move between manufacturers. And really, just like musicians, they tend to settle on a particular style.

And you can understand why the I30 has some BMW 1 series hints in it if one of the designers was formally with BMW.

Same thing i said about 3 pages ago. Its going to happen no matter what. Its just the way the industry is theses days.

MatsHolden
22nd October 2007, 01:56 AM

Yep, and he copped a caining for it too.

Tfer
22nd October 2007, 09:43 AM

Correct.... and why I am not interested in a Mercedes, and I also consider their design too contrived. :rolleyes: Seems to me that the quality of VW, Audi and BMW is superior :)

Still not interested in Hyundai though....

USC
22nd October 2007, 10:00 AM
Correct.... and why I am not interested in a Mercedes, and I also consider their design too contrived. :rolleyes: Seems to me that the quality of VW, Audi and BMW is superior :)

Still not interested in Hyundai though....

Im not so sure about VW...but Audi and BMW are quite good! Lexus is still the best though.

MatsHolden
22nd October 2007, 10:02 AM
Lexus is still the best though.

Must be different Lexus' than what i've been in.

Tfer
22nd October 2007, 10:10 AM
Im not so sure about VW...but Audi and BMW are quite good! Lexus is still the best though.

The couple of VW's I have been in, as is the case with the Audi's and BMW's I have been in, have all been very nicely finished, presented, etc. The last Mercedes I have been in (a C Class delivered new 2 weeks ago) was not that impressive. But I am not an expert. Have not yet sat in or done the inspection etc on a Lexus, so cannot comment here ;)

USC
22nd October 2007, 02:53 PM
Oh I meant, in terms of going back for warranty work, Lexus would have the least defects.

VW`s are nicely finished though...Ive heard of a few odd ones but I guess its the same with any companies...

Tfer
22nd October 2007, 02:56 PM
Oh I meant, in terms of going back for warranty work, Lexus would have the least defects.

VW`s are nicely finished though...Ive heard of a few odd ones but I guess its the same with any companies...

Aha.... you could be right there for sure :)

MatsHolden
22nd October 2007, 03:00 PM

Oh yeh for sure.

USC
22nd October 2007, 04:14 PM
yeh ...one of my mates bought a brand new series 1 BMW and he had to have some plastic trims under the seat changed under warranty as they broke after moving the seat too much forward on delivery day!!

2 days later, his wiper blades accidently closed on on this windscreen while washing his car and they cracked it!!

hm...i dont think bmw quality is as good as it used to be.

MatsHolden
22nd October 2007, 04:42 PM
2 days later, his wiper blades accidently closed on on this windscreen while washing his car and they cracked it!!

lol that's just unlucky though, not a quality issue.

USC
22nd October 2007, 05:02 PM
lol that's just unlucky though, not a quality issue.

a wiper arm closing on the windscreen shouldnt really crack it...quality issue..glass too thin perhaps

you should have seen the plastic trims under the front seat area..i held them in my hand and they felt like cheap chinese toys...even the astra does not have trims like that!

rusole21
22nd October 2007, 05:21 PM
i have driven a hyundai and it was a great little car!! my mate had an excel and we used to muck around with it all the time. they are a pretty good peice of kit for what you spend. they have a teachable ecu as well. so it will maximise economy on long runs but when around town will maximise power if you fang it. also they go forever!! i have seen over 300000km on one. alot of couriers use them and they dont exactly have an easy life.

im stoked that hyundai has done this with the i30. pure plagarism but good on em.

xplosv57
22nd October 2007, 06:37 PM
yeh ...one of my mates bought a brand new series 1 BMW and he had to have some plastic trims under the seat changed under warranty as they broke after moving the seat too much forward on delivery day!!

ROFL i know exactly what trims you're talking about, not a great design there!!!

However dropping a wiper arm, with enough force, will crack a windscreen!!

The glass used isn't thin at all but not much can stop a wiper arm with alot of tension cracking the screen!!

BMW quality is very high, but with all car makes, there are a few flaws here and there!!!

bornwild
22nd October 2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah of course a wiper arm is gonna crack the screen...it's glass after all.....a crystalline structured material :)

USC
22nd October 2007, 08:47 PM
hehe...I guess you guys might be right re wiper arms...but it happened to my other car lots of times and windscreen never broke...

but i must admit.leather is stunning in there, dash looks good, no vibration, paint looks very thick,engine sounds great... bmw do make good cars.

nevertheless, I still think for the price, the astra is great! ive been playing around with my remote window shutting lately:D

bornwild
22nd October 2007, 09:26 PM
ive been playing around with my remote window shutting lately:D

that is so addictive :D