PDA

View Full Version : CRASH - One sad Corsa

immenotu
2nd October 2007, 06:41 PM
Not a happy day. Driving home behind someone, get to a roundabout so we both slow down to a near stop, there's a gap so he starts to go, i start to go as well, look right to check no cars had come out of nowhere and while im looking he changes his mind a stops. Only had time to think about braking, my foot didnt actually make it to the pedal. Not much i could do but still at fault so its gonna hurt my pocket a bit with insurance.

Poor car ('01 Corsa SRi) has a bent bonnet, caved in front bumper, smashed headlights, air bags went off, seat belt pretensioners went off, smashed windscreen, interior panels out of place, leaking liquid from engine but cant open the bonnet to check it. not a pretty sight. PS For anyone who doesnt know airbags are VERY LOUD and the middle of your steering wheel really hurts when it smacks you in the arm, ive got half a holden logo bruised into my arm.

Anyway, getting it all fixed under insurance (wanted a new bumper and headlights anyway but thats another story) so not too bad.

Im thinking of getting the facelift headlights instead of the old ones and paying any difference. Just wondering if anyone has the GM part number for the facelift headlights.

Thanks, now its time to go and lick my wounds.

imad4u
2nd October 2007, 07:37 PM
sounds like a write off from that list...

poita
2nd October 2007, 07:41 PM
i did about that to my calibra, was all fixed.
total bill was close to 8k, that goodness for insurance :D

immenotu
2nd October 2007, 08:44 PM
sounds like a write off from that list...

Damn, hope it isnt written off, love the car too much.

Dee
2nd October 2007, 09:09 PM
i did $12K damage to my corolla

front bar, passenger headlight, bonnet, roof - all ****ed...

all fixed under warranty, but then again, it goes on the value of the car if they write it off or not... if it's over a certain percentage, it's just easier to give you money than for them to pay to get it fixed

EL BURITO
2nd October 2007, 09:24 PM
given the age of you are probably border line might be worth swapping the wheels back before the assessor looks at it

JR
2nd October 2007, 09:37 PM
so sorry to hear that - wat a bummer!! :(
hope it all gets fixed quickly.

USC
2nd October 2007, 10:15 PM
Hey mate, so sorry to hear about the car! lucky you came out safely and not injured!!

I had a hyundai that had been in a similar crash and trust me, I would advise to try write off and get a new car.

it will never be the same again, especially if roof, windscreen and interior panels have moved/bent. you will have a lot of problems with wheel alignment, screws not fitting in place in the engine bay and heaps of other problems like headlights not aligned properly etc etc... it gave me a massive headache!! when, i turned my wheels, they would rub against the plastic inside...man, im glad I got rid of it!

also, the car wont be as safe as when it was not hit.

btm
3rd October 2007, 08:23 AM
the middle of your steering wheel really hurts when it smacks you in the arm, ive got half a holden logo bruised into my arm.

sorry to hear about the accident mate... but why was your arm across the steering wheel??

rjastra
3rd October 2007, 09:13 AM
Sounds like a writeoff with that much damage. You must have been going a bit faster than you think to set the airbags off.

btm
3rd October 2007, 09:16 AM
fingers crossed for a write off... the car will never be the same again otherwise

immenotu
3rd October 2007, 09:47 AM
Hey guys, sounds like a write off might be a good thing. I totally agree it will never be the same again.

Talked to the guy who came to tow it and he said if they write it off I can do a direct swap for anything ive changed on the car. So i can put my factory mags back on and put the factory head unit back in and keep my stuff. Ill get the speakers out too.

BTM with the arm, i usually drive with my right hand at the top of the steering wheel so when the airbag cover hinged up it hit me under my forearm.

immenotu
3rd October 2007, 09:59 AM
Here a a few pics...

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/immenotu_sri/Img_0417_sml.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/immenotu_sri/Img_0420_sml.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/immenotu_sri/Img_0423_sml.jpg

btm
3rd October 2007, 10:07 AM
what hit your windscreen?

oneightoo
3rd October 2007, 10:12 AM
the air bag smashed the windscreen..

my ex did $19k worth of damage to my first astra - 03 astra city, back in mid 03.. they repaired it..

looks like you were going to fast and you were too close to the car in front.. glad you're ok, but still, next time dont drive so dam close to other cars arses..

immenotu
3rd October 2007, 10:13 AM

Not exactly sure but i think it was from the air bag. Only things i had loose were my phone and my wallet on the front seat and i dont think it was those :) . The windscreen was smashed from the inside tho.

immenotu
3rd October 2007, 10:20 AM
the air bag smashed the windscreen..

my ex did $19k worth of damage to my first astra - 03 astra city, back in mid 03.. they repaired it..

looks like you were going to fast and you were too close to the car in front.. glad you're ok, but still, next time dont drive so dam close to other cars arses..

Not good about the astra, pretty pricey.

Wasnt driving too fast or too close, just the usual distance away when you are slowing down for a roundabout. He started to go and the road I was turning onto has a 90km speed limit and is a bit blind so you have to look right as you turn to check for hoons coming up to the roundabout (100-110 is common on that road). Just bad timing that when i looked was the exact moment he changed his mind an decided not to go.

Yeah I should've seen him but I wasnt going too fast or following too close, just an accident.

JohnBu
3rd October 2007, 10:21 AM
i did $12K damage to my corolla

front bar, passenger headlight, bonnet, roof - all ****ed...

all fixed under warranty,

Gee Donna, Toyota are pretty good warranties! lol..

I'd say its a write off.. whats the insured value?

immenotu
3rd October 2007, 10:26 AM
Insured for $14380, but to get one with the same k's (only done 47000) for the price wont be easy, possible but might have to search a bit.

USC
3rd October 2007, 11:14 AM
u can get one of those new korean babies:D

or save up for a vxr;)

HisSRI
3rd October 2007, 12:16 PM
Shame about the car mate, And I believe where all glad that you are OK.
As for finding another SRI its not that hard, If your hard to please then maybe it will be hard, but if you open to options like colour and year its pretty easy.
Here is a link to an 04 Model SRI that I was looking at when i brought mine. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2004-Holden-Barina-XC-SRi_W0QQitemZ150125637315QQihZ005QQcategoryZ102235 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like a very nice Little SRI.

Well good luck with what ever happens, but keep us informed.

Greg

immenotu
3rd October 2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the "glad you're ok's". Much appreciated.

As for a new car, im EXTREMELY picky :D . Took me 6 months just to pick my mags. If i get another SRi (which im planning on doing atm) it has to be black (pain to keep clean but so hot when shiny) and 99% sure it would have to be pre-facelift cause i love the front bar although i must admit the facelift is growing on me.

This waiting for the assessors to decide if it will be repaired or written off isnt much fun tho.

InsaneAsylum
3rd October 2007, 01:05 PM

the flying chicken you dummy :p

KID_SRi
4th October 2007, 12:47 AM
That'll Buff Out.

But seriously, You might find it will be a Repairable Write-Off.
As some XC Barina parts are obselete. Yes, A Model that only finished sales here just on 2 Years has Un-available Parts.

When my Mum smashed her MY04 Barina in March this year, It was written off because some Parts are un-obtainable.
Heres the Thread about it with pics of the Damage
http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12157

immenotu
4th October 2007, 07:55 AM
That'll Buff Out.

But seriously, You might find it will be a Repairable Write-Off.
As some XC Barina parts are obselete. Yes, A Model that only finished sales here just on 2 Years has Un-available Parts.

When my Mum smashed her MY04 Barina in March this year, It was written off because some Parts are un-obtainable.
Heres the Thread about it with pics of the Damage
http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12157

Just checked out your thread. Sounds nasty, how was your mum's recovery, hope all is now well. I'd definitely agree that the airbags probably wouldn't have been good for her. I wish mine didnt go off. I wasnt going fast enough for my body or face to touch them, but my arm got smacked by the cover. Did more damage than good (not to mention smashed the front windscreen which cut my knuckles).

As to my car im hoping ill get some news today as to what they are going to do, repair or write off. Im hoping for the write off option.

KID_SRi
4th October 2007, 10:50 AM
Mum recovery was Good. She was in pain for a month or so & couldn't lift anything just in case the Fracture opened again.

USC
4th October 2007, 12:27 PM
damn holden..unobtainable parts is bull!! holden barina still exists and they should supply parts...does not matter if model has changed!

mazda still supply every parts for the BG astina(1990`s)!!

oneightoo
4th October 2007, 02:51 PM
un-obtainable?

try driving a calibra, holden laugh at you and say "no seriously, what car do you drive?"

poita
4th October 2007, 03:09 PM
a holden what?
oh them, heres the part.
and they charge you triple cause you swore and said calibra

USC
4th October 2007, 04:21 PM
and you`ll prob have to wait 3-4 weeks for a part from overseas as well.

oneightoo
4th October 2007, 04:29 PM
i get mine pretty much within 7-10 working days from overseas..

poita
4th October 2007, 06:13 PM
same as mat said, buy most of my bits from autovaux.
here within 10 workin days

immenotu
4th October 2007, 08:15 PM
Bit of an update, talked to the assessor this arvo and he reckons it will definitely be a repair job, not a write off. Should find out tomorrow how long it will take to get it repaired.

USC
4th October 2007, 08:41 PM
yeh, the pics dont look as bad as your description. normally the air bag shouldnt have come out as damage does not look too bad.

well, if repaired insist on genuine parts, and even genuine windscreen! i wonder if holden carries all the parts in stock??

immenotu
4th October 2007, 08:47 PM
...well, if repaired insist on genuine parts, and even genuine windscreen! i wonder if holden carries all the parts in stock??

Yeah, ill definitely be getting genuine parts, and i want to get facelift headlights instead of the older ones (they have exactly the same fitment as the old ones dont they???)

As to parts in stock ive been wondering the same thing, guess ill find out soon enough :confused:

xplosv57
4th October 2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah that would definetely not be a write off, my car similar accident looked 10x worse and it was repaired in 2 weeks, that will be fixed for sure!!

Make sure you get genuine parts, even if you ask for them, they may not do it, so ask for receipts for parts when you pick up the car!!

cyclonic
4th October 2007, 09:09 PM
Damn. That sucks.. :(

EL BURITO
4th October 2007, 10:38 PM
i want to get facelift headlights instead of the older ones (they have exactly the same fitment as the old ones dont they???)They do mate. have a look at mine.
Also think about having a color code done as well if they are going to be mixing a color match. Shouldn't cost too much as they are going to have to do the whole bumper bonnet and splitter

immenotu
5th October 2007, 09:11 AM
Car looks hot Laurie, the colour coding would be good but dont know if i can afford it atm, insurance excess hurts ($900).

My uncle is a spray painter/panel beater tho and i am getting him to respray the roof (faded something shocking) hopefully after christmas so ill probably get him to do the colour coding as well, itll only cost me for the paint and maybe a case of beer and ill sand the plastic back myself so i know its perfectly smooth.

USC
5th October 2007, 09:36 AM
cool! yeh, I m pretty sure you can ask for facelift headlights if they are the same price..otherwise, ring bennett wreckers and ask if they have some good second hand one in stick.

Most insurance companies wont put a genuine windscreen on but insist on it so you get the GM logo ...haha.

xplosv57
5th October 2007, 06:25 PM
My insurance company wouldn't put facelift headlights in my car after an accident, they said they have to fix it to the exact specification of the original vehicle!!

Still ask them, maybe your insurer might not be as anal as mine!!!

immenotu
5th October 2007, 06:37 PM
My insurance company wouldn't put facelift headlights in my car after an accident, they said they have to fix it to the exact specification of the original vehicle!!

Still ask them, maybe your insurer might not be as anal as mine!!!

Interesting to know, cant hurt to ask i suppose. Out of interest which insurance company do you use if you dont mind me asking, its cool if u dont want to say?

xplosv57
5th October 2007, 06:40 PM
Just Car insurance, maybe cos their a cheaper insurer they didn't wanna help me out, definetely won't hurt to ask, hope they do it for you!!!

immenotu
5th October 2007, 06:48 PM
Yeah, im with NRMA and they have been great so far. When i got the rear bumper fixed after someone ran into it in a carpark the repairer actually asked me if i wanted it repaired or replaced (of course i said replaced) and NRMA didnt seem to care

EL BURITO
6th October 2007, 02:05 AM
talk to the smash repairs place if they order the parts

immenotu
6th October 2007, 09:43 AM
talk to the smash repairs place if they order the parts

Thats what im gonna do. Gotta see them and take my head unit out before they do the work anyway cause i dont want them to damage my custom fascia when they pull the dash out, ill be putting that back in myself.

EL BURITO
6th October 2007, 06:34 PM
the price difference on the lights is around $40 a side.

immenotu
6th October 2007, 08:40 PM
Yep, thats about what I got out of Holden.

They told me $327 pre-facelift, $365 facelift per side.

$76 for facelift headlights sounds pretty good to me :) Just hope they let me do it!!!

immenotu
8th October 2007, 09:05 AM
Bit of an update

Just talked to the repairer and he's got no problem with putting in facelift headlights. :) :) :) :) :) :)

I just pay have to pay the difference. He is going to confirm with Holden they are a direct plug in to be sure but other than that no problems.

Should have the car back in about 2 weeks.

btm
8th October 2007, 09:08 AM
good news!

USC
8th October 2007, 09:49 AM
Bit of an update

Just talked to the repairer and he's got no problem with putting in facelift headlights. :) :) :) :) :) :)

I just pay have to pay the difference. He is going to confirm with Holden they are a direct plug in to be sure but other than that no problems.

nice! well done mate!
how are they going to fix the air bags?do they need to replace the whole dash and steering wheel??

immenotu
8th October 2007, 10:01 AM
nice! well done mate!
how are they going to fix the air bags?do they need to replace the whole dash and steering wheel??

Not entirely sure, he said it will need two new airbags of course which bolt in (i think the steering wheel one may be separate to the actual 'wheel'), and a new cover panel of some sort, but from looking at the dash before the crash the passenger one hides behind the dash and is sealed over, so from what i could tell the dash is all one piece (i always wondered how the passenger one came out if needed, found out the hard way lol).

Gonna go in there 2morrow or wednesday and take out my h/u anyway so ill have a good chat to him then and let u know exactly what needs replacing.

Now i have to try and get a genuine GM windscreen out of them. :)

USC
8th October 2007, 10:24 AM
Not entirely sure, he said it will need two new airbags of course which bolt in (i think the steering wheel one may be separate to the actual 'wheel'), and a new cover panel of some sort, but from looking at the dash before the crash the passenger one hides behind the dash and is sealed over, so from what i could tell the dash is all one piece (i always wondered how the passenger one came out if needed, found out the hard way lol).

Gonna go in there 2morrow or wednesday and take out my h/u anyway so ill have a good chat to him then and let u know exactly what needs replacing.

Now i have to try and get a genuine GM windscreen out of them. :)

good stuff! yeh, I noticed on the astra that the passenger airbag is sealed somehow under the dash.
lucky, you dont have curtain airbags ...otherwise you would have needed a new headlining too!

yeh, get the genuine windscreen...dont accept those crappy "australian standard" ones but made in china!!

btm
8th October 2007, 12:47 PM
yeh, get the genuine windscreen...dont accept those crappy "australian standard" ones but made in china!!
how could it be 'crappy' if it meets australian standards?

i would have thought that our standards in this country are pretty high regardless??

immenotu
8th October 2007, 12:53 PM
how could it be 'crappy' if it meets australian standards?

i would have thought that our standards in this country are pretty high regardless??

I know someone who got an aftermarket and didnt have a single problem, couldnt tell the difference.

I want it for the little 'GM' logo so it matches the other windows cause im so picky lol.

oneightoo
8th October 2007, 12:57 PM
non genuine ones are exactly the same...

USC
8th October 2007, 01:24 PM
non genuine ones are exactly the same...

They are NOT exactly the same. Holden lists 2 windscreens for the astra AH coupe and aftermarket has one that fits all.
It might look the same but the quality of the glass used would be a lot better in a genuine windscreen. Plus you get the GM logo:D

xplosv57
8th October 2007, 01:29 PM
To be honest, when i get a car with a wind noise issue or water leak from the winscreen, 9/10 times it's a non genuine windscreen, they may look the same but sometimes they don't sit properly which makes them noisy or don't seal well!!

USC
8th October 2007, 01:50 PM
To be honest, when i get a car with a wind noise issue or water leak from the winscreen, 9/10 times it's a non genuine windscreen, they may look the same but sometimes they don't sit properly which makes them noisy or don't seal well!!

exactly! and quality of the glass used in a genuine windscreen will be more resistent to stone chips.

oneightoo
8th October 2007, 01:53 PM
oh well, i never had a problem with the non genuine one in my commodore, nor did my older bro with his pulsar.. must have been an exception..

USC
8th October 2007, 02:41 PM
oh well, i never had a problem with the non genuine one in my commodore, nor did my older bro with his pulsar.. must have been an exception..

aftermarket commodre windscreens are still made by pilkington and so do the genuine ones...so you will have no problem as they are both manufactured here.

the "never heard" brands are bit dodgy.

xplosv57
8th October 2007, 03:22 PM
Yeah commodores are ok because they are produced here, it's when a car is produced overseas and they make an aftermarket one, then the cost cutting is evident!!

EL BURITO
8th October 2007, 07:49 PM
Bit of an update

they are trust me. the loom unplugs from the old and gos straight into the new. they may say there is a difference as they did to Dug but i had no issue

immenotu
8th October 2007, 08:43 PM
they are trust me. the loom unplugs from the old and gos straight into the new. they may say there is a difference as they did to Dug but i had no issue

I trust u that they fit, when i told him over the phone that i knew of someone who had done the swap he seemed fine with it. I think he's mostly just gonna check the price difference for me. He pretty much took my word for it that they fitted, seemed like a top bloke so shouldnt have any probs.

immenotu
26th October 2007, 05:44 PM
:D :D :D

Finally got my car back. All shiny and new again.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/immenotu_sri/Img_0615_sml.jpg

The repair bill ended up being $9000 :eek:, glad i have insurance!!!

Very happy with the quality of the work, although it needs to go back to have the skirt reglued on the front bar because they didnt put it on straight.:rolleyes:

Soooooo glad to have it back, 3 weeks without it really sucked.

PS. Got the facelift headlights in too, only cost $33 each so couldn't be happier.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/immenotu_sri/Img_0613_sml2.jpg

reedaaron
26th October 2007, 05:54 PM
facelift headlights look sweet as on the pre-facelift... didn't realise how different they would look, so used to seeing the facelift bodykit shape whenever i see the headlights... i wanted a set, but best price i could get was $309 each... so eyelids instead :p

immenotu
26th October 2007, 06:01 PM
facelift headlights look sweet as on the pre-facelift... didn't realise how different they would look, so used to seeing the facelift bodykit shape whenever i see the headlights... i wanted a set, but best price i could get was $309 each... so eyelids instead :p

Im stoked with the lights, they look heaps better in person too, photos dont show them up as well. Once the bumpers and wheel flares are colour coded it should look sweet.

USC
27th October 2007, 02:13 AM
looks awesome mate! did u end up getting genuine windcreen?

the skirts look straight on photos. if they are glued on, you dont want to remove them again...they will wreck your paint or damage your bumper.

immenotu
27th October 2007, 09:10 AM
looks awesome mate! did u end up getting genuine windcreen?

the skirts look straight on photos. if they are glued on, you dont want to remove them again...they will wreck your paint or damage your bumper.

Nah. aftermarket windscreen :(, seems no insurance companies cover for genuine, but the tinted strip at the top kinda makes the car look a bit meaner so im happy with that and it hides the only sticker you cant get rid of, rego (Yes it can still be seen up close).

The skirt is straight from the front (parrallel to the road), but it isnt quite in the middle so the drivers side near the wheel is about an inch too low and there are a couple of gaps. Most people wouldnt notice cause you cant see both sides of the car at once but im extremely picky and it'll bug me forever if i dont get it fixed, and if you look under the car along the bottom of the skirt it's very noticable.

Repairer said if the paint gets damaged they will respray it. He's already had drivers side off once to try and fix it but realised the whole thing will have to come off to get it straight.

EL BURITO
27th October 2007, 11:15 AM
looks great. lights are the bomb too.
9K thou surprised it was not a right off

immenotu
27th October 2007, 12:21 PM
looks great. lights are the bomb too.
9K thou surprised it was not a right off

Thanks mate. The repairer told me it was just under the write off limit. Im guessing probably within $500-1000. She's driving perfectly tho so im not unhappy that it got repaired.

USC
27th October 2007, 12:36 PM
kewl! yeh. Im extremely picky with my car too:D so, get it fixed..its still under warranty! if they are willing to respray, then there`s nothing to worry about.

yeh, i noticed your tinted strip at the top of the windscreen and it looks great!!

They did an excellent job...headlights are aligned perfectly.

immenotu
27th October 2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, everything except the front skirt is pretty much millimetre perfect.

Biggest surprise is getting an entire new dash put in and there isn't a single rattle in it. Champion effort by the repairers IMO. Little rattle in the drivers seatbelt b-pillar but they are going to look at that too.

Dave
27th October 2007, 01:57 PM
looks like a good job man :cool: what was your excess worth though ?

immenotu
27th October 2007, 02:36 PM
excess was $900. $500 standard plus $400 age. Put a good hole in my wallet.

Dave
28th October 2007, 05:13 AM
Thats not to bad i gues. Will you stick with Just Cars ?

immenotu
28th October 2007, 09:46 AM
Thats not to bad i gues. Will you stick with Just Cars ?

Im not with Just Cars, im with NRMA. But yeah ill stick with them, they also payed for a hire car for 2 weeks which came in handy.

USC
28th October 2007, 06:40 PM
how about your premium next year?? would probably climb up to the roof!!

bornwild
28th October 2007, 06:42 PM

Yeah that would hurt big time...

immenotu
28th October 2007, 08:48 PM

:( Im not looking forward to next year. I lose 10% off my no claim discount plus my premium will probably go up. Although because im under 25, my premium goes down a fair bit each year so hopefully that will offset the extra from the crash (fingers crossed).

Shouldn't be as bad as when i got the car. Had just turned 21, premium was over $3000 :eek:.

What pisses me off the most is another 6 months and i would have had max no claim for life.

immenotu
30th October 2007, 03:11 PM
Picked the car up again for the second time, front skirt fixed perfectly, all straight again. Also got the seatbelt rattle fixed. Everything is good.

Now I can just go back to driving it :)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/immenotu_sri/071028_001.jpg

btm
30th October 2007, 03:15 PM
those rims suit the car perfectly

immenotu
30th October 2007, 03:20 PM
those rims suit the car perfectly

Thanks mate, i love em. Even have one in the boot as a spare :D.

btm
30th October 2007, 03:26 PM
now get your arse to the cruise this weekend!

immenotu
30th October 2007, 03:34 PM
id love to but im poor atm, need one closer to newy.

USC
30th October 2007, 03:41 PM
car looks amazing! they did an excellent job!

did u put your stereo back on?

btm
30th October 2007, 03:49 PM
id love to but im poor atm, need one closer to newy.

yeah. maybe a newie/central coast cruise is in order for soon

EAK33Y
30th October 2007, 03:50 PM

Yes once i get my Car Back :D

immenotu
30th October 2007, 04:37 PM
car looks amazing! they did an excellent job!

did u put your stereo back on?

Thanks mate, stoked with the work.

Yeah stereo is back in, although the perspex fascia is only superglued on instead of using the little stainless steel bolts i had b4. Got plans for a new install (thinking carputer) so it'll do for now.

For sure, id be there!

btm
30th October 2007, 04:55 PM

immenotu
30th October 2007, 05:06 PM

already there :)

dont think ive posted anything tho

btm
31st October 2007, 08:48 AM
start a thread about a newie/central coast cruise in the near future :)

immenotu
31st October 2007, 08:57 AM
sounds like an idea, ill have to do that