PDA

View Full Version : Bought a "lemon"? - move to Victoria...

MK
27th September 2007, 09:41 PM
well, maybe in the future.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=43780&s_rid=smh:ClassiePuff

The Victorian government wants to put the squeeze on car makers with tougher laws.

The Victorian Government is planning to introduce the nation’s first ‘‘lemon laws’’ to force car makers to replace persistently defective cars, but it will have to overcome the collective resistance of the automotive industry.

The Government has published a paper and started a public consultation process to determine the extent of the problem. Australian manufacturers and importers refuse to be part of a regular quality survey such as those done in the US by the J. D. Power group and they refuse to publish their warranty claims records, which would also give consumers an idea of which cars were more reliable.

The Victorian move follows the introduction of ‘‘lemon laws’’ in many states in the US, where a car is considered a ‘‘lemon’’ if problems arise within the first two years and persist after three or four separate attempts at repair.

There are no accurate figures on how many ‘‘lemons’’ there are in the state, said Victorian Minister for Consumer Affairs, Tony Robinson.

‘‘Last year, Victoria recorded nearly 250,000 new-car sales. Yet, despite manufacturers’ warranties and existing consumer protection legislation, purchasers of lemon vehicles can experience compensation and rectification problems,’’ Mr Robinson said.

The Government wanted to clarify the rights and responsibilities of consumers, dealers and car makers, he said. It also wanted to provide buyers with a clear system of redress and to encourage prompt settlement of disputes. The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries said lemon laws were unnecessary as only an ‘‘infinitesimal’’ number of cars were involved.

‘‘The problem is so small you have got to question whether it warrants this response,’’ said the chamber’s chief executive, Andrew McKellar. Mr McKellar said all car brands had ‘‘very comprehensive’’ warranties. ‘‘The emphasis on quality and customer service is really entrenched in the industry and anyone who thought they could get away with anything less will find themselves at a major disadvantage in the marketplace.’’

Mr Robinson said manufacturers’ warranties offered consumers only partial protection.

‘‘Under most of these warranties, manufacturers are only required to repair defects during the warranty period. There is no express obligation to replace or refund a defective vehicle,’’ he said when launching the consultation process.

Mr McKellar said there were adequate protections for consumers under the Victorian consumer affairs laws and under the Federal Trade Practices Legislation.

‘‘Our view is that this is completely unnecessary and will only contribute additional costs and additional complexity and is open to abuse.’’

He said the situation was different in the US, which lacked the level of consumer protection provided in Australia by state and federal consumer legislation. The public consultation process on lemon laws will be led by Mordialloc MP Janice Munt.

Nawtee
27th September 2007, 09:52 PM
Our car, 06.5 Astra Turbo Diesel, is in Victoria waiting to be fixed(After countless things going wrong, grrr), and we plan on moving there soon. Maybe I should leave the bugger there and wait for this to come in.
Dumb ass Holden!!!

Wraith
27th September 2007, 10:33 PM
Well it's about time :)

Alot of people could've benefited from this in the past, instead of being piss farted around......

Looks like GMH will have to do what some other car makers do when they sell a new lemon to someone, ie: cut their losses and replace the bloody thing, instead of trying to fix it, with no good or complete result....

USC
27th September 2007, 10:33 PM
Our car, 06.5 Astra Turbo Diesel, is in Victoria waiting to be fixed(After countless things going wrong, grrr), and we plan on moving there soon. Maybe I should leave the bugger there and wait for this to come in.
Dumb ass Holden!!!

i saw a brand new astra hatch getting a new engine fitted at the dealer the other day! i wonder what went wrong...

Nawtee
27th September 2007, 10:43 PM
i saw a brand new astra hatch getting a new engine fitted at the dealer the other day! i wonder what went wrong...

We were told by 2 dealerships our car was safe to drive, and told by another dealership and NRMA it wasnt safe to drive. The Particulate Filter is gone on our car, and if we keep driving it, we would be needing a new engine too. I'm seriously over the shabby way Holden has dealt with our car. The car has only just hit 30,000kms. Grrrrrrr...

Noir
28th September 2007, 12:15 AM
Ha! If only...my Astra would have been perfect for Victoria.

EL BURITO
28th September 2007, 12:47 AM
they have laws along this line in the UK, some thing with treading standards.

rjastra
28th September 2007, 11:08 AM
We were told by 2 dealerships our car was safe to drive, and told by another dealership and NRMA it wasnt safe to drive. The Particulate Filter is gone on our car, and if we keep driving it, we would be needing a new engine too. I'm seriously over the shabby way Holden has dealt with our car. The car has only just hit 30,000kms. Grrrrrrr...

Isn't your CDti modded with the DTUK CRD2 ?

Could that be the source of your issues?

Nawtee
28th September 2007, 11:52 AM
Isn't your CDti modded with the DTUK CRD2 ?

Could that be the source of your issues?

Yeah it is, and we've talked to Joe about this....Why would that be the source of our issues?? (I just need answers on what's wrong with me car, it's really pissing me off now!!) :(

Vectracious
28th September 2007, 12:23 PM
I wonder if these laws will extend to other things like appliances or even houses?

Tfer
28th September 2007, 12:26 PM
I wonder if these laws will extend to other things like appliances or even houses?

Well in Qld new houses come with a warranty and protection under the BSA :)

Vectracious
28th September 2007, 12:31 PM
Well in Qld new houses come with a warranty and protection under the BSA :)

so if they have to keep reparing your house because of whatever, do you get a new house?

Tfer
28th September 2007, 12:37 PM
so if they have to keep reparing your house because of whatever, do you get a new house?

Couple of cases have actually got to the stage, whereby the house was demolished and a new one built.... in Qld the warranty is for 7 years.

Huhness
28th September 2007, 03:09 PM
‘‘The problem is so small you have got to question whether it warrants this response,’’ said the chamber’s chief executive, Andrew McKellar. Mr McKellar said all car brands had ‘‘very comprehensive’’ warranties. ‘‘The emphasis on quality and customer service is really entrenched in the industry and anyone who thought they could get away with anything less will find themselves at a major disadvantage in the marketplace.’’
If the problem is so SMALL! Then i'm sure the car companies could afford to replace their pieces of shit they ****ing sell.. Lemons make me angry...

rjastra
28th September 2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah it is, and we've talked to Joe about this....Why would that be the source of our issues?? (I just need answers on what's wrong with me car, it's really pissing me off now!!) :(

Well. It cranks the power up of the car. And since you said you had a particulate filter then I gather you have an auto CDti. I was under the impression that the drivetrain of the auto can't handle the extra torque.

ECU mods like that will most likely have voided your warranty.

kaoshunter
28th September 2007, 06:49 PM
Well. It cranks the power up of the car. And since you said you had a particulate filter then I gather you have an auto CDti. I was under the impression that the drivetrain of the auto can't handle the extra torque.

ECU mods like that will most likely have voided your warranty.

It ain't an ecu mod, its a chip that plugs into the common rail and it is made for a vehicle with a particulate filter. Nothing to do with drive train, its to do with exhaust emitions, its come down to bad oil so far as I am told but the dealership ain't owning up to it. All that is happening and this will happen in all auto diesels, it is going into limp mode for safety precautions due to the rooted particulate filter and if you want heres a link which is the problems they are having with them in england http://forum.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14197
sent to me by Joe, also it ain't just opels it is happening to, its pajeros and hyundais aswell

Plus all disels 2007+ have a particulate filter installed, manual or auto

kaoshunter
28th September 2007, 07:39 PM
Bugger... best to steer clear of diesels then.

Nah just have it removed I found a great article on it

rjastra
28th September 2007, 08:18 PM
Bugger... best to steer clear of diesels then.

USC
29th September 2007, 12:34 AM
nahm diesels are great..they just need to fcken train their technicians better and get appropriate oil to use in their engine!

kaoshunter
29th September 2007, 12:35 AM
nahm diesels are great..they just need to fcken train their technicians better and get appropriate oil to use in their engine!

agree 100% and get rid of the ridiculous DPF or at least reprogram them to our standards of traffic