PDA

View Full Version : What oil?

bornwild
25th September 2007, 11:28 AM
Hey guys, tried searching the forum but yeahhh...

What's the best oil brand and what type of oil do I need for the MY07 1.8l Astras?

:)

JasonGilholme
25th September 2007, 11:31 AM
How many k's has the car done?? you should use a mineral oil for the first few thousand k's and then after that feel free to change to a semi or full synthetic if you wish to.

Also, you're better off using cheaper oil and changing it more often rather then buyin an expensive oil and leaving it in there for 40+ thousand k's.

USC
25th September 2007, 11:45 AM
How many k's has the car done?? you should use a mineral oil for the first few thousand k's and then after that feel free to change to a semi or full synthetic if you wish to.

Also, you're better off using cheaper oil and changing it more often rather then buyin an expensive oil and leaving it in there for 40+ thousand k's.

dont use cheap mineral oil and it doesnt even last for 2000kms...I could feel the difference in my old car! the valves started to get noisier etc...

use semi synthetic or fully synthetic...your handbook should suggest what grade to use. I would say 10w-40 is the best for your car. 10: easier to start in the morning, 40: protects your engine when its hot.

JasonGilholme
25th September 2007, 11:52 AM
USC: I totally agree. mineral oil isn't good at all, however it is much better at cleaning the engine during the run in period while everything is tight and bedding in. Although in this case the oil has already been chosen for the run in period.

After the very first 1000 k's i'd change the oil (whatever oil is in there) and would go to fully synthetic. I agree that 10-40 is good for these engines (i run it in the barina) and theres plenty of options as to which brand you wish to use.

DirtyHarry
25th September 2007, 12:08 PM
ive been using Motul Xcess 5w-40. dont have any complaints.

bornwild
25th September 2007, 12:33 PM
Hey, yeah it's a 15k service. What car do you drive Harry?

Yeah I was thinking full synthetic and it certainly won't be in the car for longer than 15,000kms. I'll check up on the grade in my manual.

What brand though?! Shell, repsol, mobil, castrol....?

Shaun
25th September 2007, 12:36 PM
Refer to your owners Manual for grade. Refer to your dealership as to what brand . Its not going to make much difference providing the grade is the right grade.

bornwild
25th September 2007, 12:51 PM
Refer to your dealership as to what brand.

I did, it's no brand name lol....hence I'm getting my own.

bornwild
25th September 2007, 02:30 PM
So I went and checked. They have semi-synthetic Mobil 10W-40 oil....$30.

Price sounds about right. Should I go the extra $50 and get fully-synthetic?

USC
25th September 2007, 03:25 PM

semi synthetic is good enough mate.

MY SRI
25th September 2007, 04:09 PM
I use Amsoil 5W-40 European Engine Oil in both my Astra SRI Turbo and Barina SRI.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/afl.aspx

I have always used Amsoil lubes in my cars since it was recommended to me by my mechanic. I read this independant test ages ago in Fast Fours and Rotaries where Amsoil came out on top too.

http://planetsoarer.com/OilAnalysis/Amsoil.htm

Amsoil make great oil filters too that filter much finer than your normal brands hence keeping the oil much cleaner too = less wear. With the AUD/USD the way it is at the moment it is cheaper than Mobil 1!!!

Shaun
26th September 2007, 01:18 AM

Whats the difference between brand names ??? All oil comes out of the same place. The ground with the exception of Synethics. Meaning that the grade refining is the only thing you need to worry about. Also part of Whats known as " Dealer Standards" dealers must comply with using an Oil that is meets Holden's Dealer Standards When taking on a Franchise An agreement with Holden signied and compliance depends on them meeting the standards set out in the agreement.

So the so called " No name brand" as you put it would be Inspected by Holden so the dealer is in compliance with the Dealer Standards Agreement.

Tfer
26th September 2007, 12:12 PM

Whats the difference between brand names ??? All oil comes out of the same place. The ground with the exception of Synethics. Meaning that the grade refining is the only thing you need to worry about. Also part of Whats known as " Dealer Standards" dealers must comply with using an Oil that is meets Holden's Dealer Standards When taking on a Franchise An agreement with Holden signied and compliance depends on them meeting the standards set out in the agreement.

So the so called " No name brand" as you put it would be Inspected by Holden so the dealer is in compliance with the Dealer Standards Agreement.

Hells bells.... are you two still fighting.... Shaun, I think bornwild actually listened to you and took up your suggestion. :rolleyes:

digifish
26th September 2007, 11:06 PM
Hey guys, tried searching the forum but yeahhh...

What's the best oil brand and what type of oil do I need for the MY07 1.8l Astras?

:)

This is a very emotional topic where marketing and heresay throw evidence and reseach data out with the baby and bathwater...

Oil that meets the spec is the best oil :)

If you keep oils within spec there is no meaningful and measurable difference between oils. It's hard to believe I know.

digifish

bornwild
26th September 2007, 11:20 PM
Well I ended up buying the Mobil1 semi-synth 10W-40...fully synthetic, Mobil 10W-40 was $90!!!....stuff that!

digifish
26th September 2007, 11:27 PM
Well I ended up buying the Mobil1 semi-synth 10W-40...fully synthetic, Mobil 10W-40 was $90!!!....stuff that!

It's a fine oil....as it meets the spec for your engine :)

More important to engine wear than the type of oil you purchased is how you treat your car when cold.

Don't idle it warm, drive it to warm it.
Drive it gently for at least the first 5 minutes.

digifish.

bornwild
26th September 2007, 11:37 PM
It's a fine oil....as it meets the spec for your engine :)

More important to engine wear than the type of oil you purchased is how you treat your car when cold.

Don't idle it warm, drive it to warm it.
Drive it gently for at least the first 5 minutes.

digifish.

Mate, my gf complains I treat the car better than her :D

I don't let the revs go above 2500-3000rpm until after 15mins of driving :)

KID_SRi
28th September 2007, 12:37 AM
This Might make you think about Oil Purchases, The results are Shocking.
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Dave
28th September 2007, 04:32 AM
interesting that.................... i gues oils aint oils...........

MK
28th September 2007, 06:29 PM
Gulf Western! i switched to this oil two services ago (10,000Km - 5,000Km each oil change)

i'm satisfied, price is good, quality is good and most of all..its made and owned by AUS ! ;)

digifish
28th September 2007, 06:37 PM
This Might make you think about Oil Purchases, The results are Shocking.
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf (http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf)

US consumer reports did a major study using NY taxies a few years back (millions of KM were covered). Their results failed to show any significant differences between oils. However they changed at 9,500 km intervals and all oils met spec.

The test shown bears little relationship to the performance of the oils in cars and there are many more factors making a good oils than just film strength.

http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.shtml

digifish

KID_SRi
28th September 2007, 07:35 PM
US consumer reports did a major study using NY taxies a few years back (millions of KM were covered). Their results failed to show any significant differences between oils. However they changed on the recommended intervals and they all met spec.

The test shown bears little relationship to the performance of the oils in cars and there are many more factors making a good oils than just film strength.

http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.shtml

digifish

That Test from Street Commodores has my Doubts.
Like you say, Its only based on Film Strength aka Timkin OK Test.
In all my Former 351 Clevelands & 2 Isuzu G180W Twin Cam Turbos I used Castrol GP50(20W-60) With No problems, But yet I read somewhere it was Crap & Its only good for Hyundai Excel Owners to pour on the road to start Burnouts off.
In my opinion, These tests are to be taken Lightly.
Every Engine is Different, Its trail & Error(Hopefully not Error)
Internal Engine part Tolerances very from every Engine Manufacter vary.
No one really knows whats happening inside a Engine at anyone time.
Look @ F1. A Car finishes Poduim 1 week, the next Race it DNF's due to engine Failure. Why, Different Country Different Climate? Who knows.