PDA

View Full Version : Veyron - Beaten

Wraith
24th September 2007, 04:00 PM
The mighty Veyron has been surpassed and no longer the most powerful and fastest production car........

It has been done by this SSC (Shelby) supercar

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ssc-sets-new-top-speed-record.html

Specs at a glance:

1183hp (870kw :eek:) 387 cu.in. (approx. 6.3ltr) twin turbo V8.

0-100km/h - 2.78sec :eek:

0-400m (1/4 mile) 9.9sec :eek:

Top speed 257.11mp/h (over 410km/h :eek:)

Don't know about the price, but I don't think it'll cost anywhere near as much as a Veyron either........

btm
24th September 2007, 04:09 PM
:eek:

USC
24th September 2007, 04:12 PM
I have one of those babies in my garage.

btm
24th September 2007, 04:14 PM
it looks like a mixture of a zonda, the honda NSX and a little bit of ferrari thrown in for good measure

Dee
24th September 2007, 04:15 PM
a workmate was telling me about the greatness of Mr Shelby.... i guess i can give him bragging rights now

Wraith
24th September 2007, 04:23 PM
a workmate was telling me about the greatness of Mr Shelby.... i guess i can give him bragging rights now

I kind of like the greatness of the good ol V8.......

It powers the most powerful and fastest/quickest drag cars and race cars and now also the fastest quickest street car........

Long live the good ol V8 :)

btm
24th September 2007, 04:29 PM
long live the good ol V8 :)
amen to that :D

bornwild
24th September 2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah....it's ugly as **** and won't last a 100th of the mileage a Veyron will. Nice try, though :)

Vectracious
24th September 2007, 06:45 PM
would love to hear what that 8 sounds like at full noise :D

skulless
24th September 2007, 07:15 PM
OMG, 1183hp...that's like having a jet engine in a car. now if holden could muster 20% of the power and put it into their cars as a min hp

xplosv57
24th September 2007, 07:24 PM
Long live the good ol V8 :)

Amen to that brother!!!! :D When you getting another one??

Yeah....it's ugly as **** and won't last a 100th of the mileage a Veyron will. Nice try, though :)

Well longevity really isn't an issue for it as i highly doubt someone will be using the Shelby as a daily driven car, it would spend most its time locked away, so it'll last as long as the owner takes care of it!!

Not sure about the styling, but can't argue with those figures, makes my pulse race!!!! :dance:

dieselhead
24th September 2007, 10:02 PM
"...Ultimate Aero was able to hit a top speed of 257.11 mph and averaged 255.83 mph — 3.11 mph faster than the unofficial record set by the Bugatti Veyron."

Sorry, I still think the Veyron is miles ahead in refinement and quality, being a supercar you can drive every day and go to the drags on the weekend should you feel like it. I doubt that's the case with the American wonder.
I'm pretty sure the Germans have an ace down their sleeve. Let's not forget there's no official top speed run done with the superbug...

bornwild
24th September 2007, 10:10 PM
Exactly, you'd probably have to reconstruct the engine for that aero thing after one 1/4 mile run.

dieselhead
24th September 2007, 10:26 PM
Wanna see why Veyron is the best? Look for Fifth Gear S12E01, when they test drive one, with the ESP on and off. That thing can corner, too. Amazing stuff!

bornwild
25th September 2007, 12:22 AM
Wanna see why Veyron is the best? Look for Fifth Gear S12E01, when they test drive one, with the ESP on and off. That thing can corner, too. Amazing stuff!

I just watched that...and ummm...I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to own one of these.

Seriously.......I have no clue how they managed to make that car.......this car will be remembered for the next 100 years.

VW are Gods among carmakers.

Wraith
25th September 2007, 08:56 AM
Amen to that brother!!!! :D When you getting another one??

In time Steve, in time :) still undecided which way to go though - get something new (ie: wait for VE coupe or new Nissan 400Z) or go back to my roots and get an old muscle car - that idea still grabs me, we'll see.... :)

Wraith
25th September 2007, 08:58 AM
I have one of those babies in my garage.

I had a similar dream last night :D

Wraith
25th September 2007, 09:08 AM

I don't think it would be too disimilar to the drooling sound of your typical LS1 or LS2 twin turbo Pete.....

Go here for a taste of one of the 9sec APS vehicles :) just click the vid pic.

http://www.airpowersystems.com/ls1/tonner/tonner.htm

Nothing sounds better than a V8 proper !

I also hear Ferrari are going to ressurect the twin turbo V8 for their next supercar (Enzo replacement) :)

Vectracious
25th September 2007, 02:30 PM
I don't think it would be too disimilar to the drooling sound of your typical LS1 or LS2 twin turbo Pete.....

I also hear Ferrari are going to ressurect the twin turbo V8 for their next supercar (Enzo replacement) :)

Haha - V8 AND turbo-spool - best of both worlds!

Black Nugget
25th September 2007, 04:35 PM
Reminds me of an idea I had the other day.....:rolleyes:

Do you reckon you could take out the backseats in a 3 door astra and replace it with a twin turbo V8 and drive the rear wheels....The only real problem i see is a) cost b) license and c) weight distrubution:D

Wraith
25th September 2007, 04:44 PM
Anythings possible, provided you have the $$$ and time etc. to do it ;)

What you've suggested is not too disimilar to what VW have done with their latest Golf concept, but with one of their W12 engines :)

bornwild
25th September 2007, 04:47 PM
By the way, the Veyron has a quarter mile time of 9s flat. Read it on www.supercars.net when the Veyron came out.

Black Nugget
25th September 2007, 04:50 PM
Anythings possible, provided you have the $$$ and time etc. to do it ;)

What you've suggested is not too disimilar to what VW have done with their latest Golf concept, but with one of their W12 engines :)

yeh its hardly an originbal idea (renult v6 golf etc.) but there's something inside me that wants to upstage all those v8 bogans with a little astra.

*before any one gets angry i don't mean all v8 drivers, i love v8s i want an e39m5, but everyone knows of those tailgating,swerving dickheads who tend to drive SS commodore/ford variants....that includes the cops:D

Wraith
25th September 2007, 05:13 PM
It's been done on an Astra already.....

There's an Astra G Coupe in Europe with an LS1 and rear wheel drive - almost the same as what you want to do....

BTW I know what you mean by bogans, they give me the shits too........

xplosv57
25th September 2007, 06:52 PM
yeh its hardly an originbal idea (renult v6 golf etc.) but there's something inside me that wants to upstage all those v8 bogans with a little astra.

*before any one gets angry i don't mean all v8 drivers, i love v8s i want an e39m5, but everyone knows of those tailgating,swerving dickheads who tend to drive SS commodore/ford variants....that includes the cops:D

LOL no comment, got no idea who these hoon V8 drivers are :p

P.S. right with ya with the E39 M5, one of the most fun cars i've ever driven!!!!

Tfer
26th September 2007, 12:07 PM

Now I am sure that would be a sound to behold :D

KID_SRi
26th September 2007, 02:16 PM

I love that 1 Tonner, 100% Daily Driven Strip Monster.
When I was on day shift, I used to see the Bloke driving to APS in Croydon every Morning.

Wraith
26th September 2007, 02:38 PM
Yes, the APS TT installs are a work of art.....he's running old school Ford 9" diff and GM 2spd powerglide (exactly thesame as I had in my 9sec Torana) to handle the power and get the best ET's in that thing.

You should've lined him up LOL :)

KID_SRi
26th September 2007, 03:01 PM
You should've lined him up LOL :)

HEHEHE :)
I had a Lil play with him in SSZ Thunder(Ex Company Car) Earlier in the Year,
We both had a Laugh.

Wraith
26th September 2007, 04:03 PM
I assume that even with exhaust system in place for street driving, you can still hear the twin turbos doing their thing on that that beast, so it's a dead give-a-way that it's 'tricked up' ;)

KID_SRi
27th September 2007, 12:42 AM
Well its has across the Back Window "Australias Fastest LS1"
So its a bit of a giveaway it aint slow.
But I think in Feb, It wasn't TT Yet. I think it was N/A running 10's

Wraith
27th September 2007, 11:51 AM
Yes, that's right, it's a modified LS1 cam, heads etc. with the APS TT kit just bolted up as is standard at just 5 or 6psi !!!

I believe it's currently tricked up a little more though - they're aiming for 8's :)

bornwild
27th September 2007, 12:20 PM
How does it handle in those rare....what are they called again....corners!!! that's the one....how does that APS TT handle in one of these world wonders called corners :D

Wraith
27th September 2007, 12:42 PM
Bornwild, it's a 1 tonner ute, for crying out loud........ :rolleyes:

Since when are these things used for handling LOL !

It's the owners everyday ride and workhorse which he just happens to have made into Aust. fastest LS1 powered car - in a straight line of course - 1/4 mile :)

That don't mean that another type of car powered by an APS TT wont handle, now does it ;)

Check out their website with the link I provided and look at the Corvette with the TT install, I'm sure it'll corner better than you or I could ever handle ;)

KID_SRi
27th September 2007, 02:40 PM
As well as there Nissan 350Z TT Kit.
From memory its good for about 400kw & It Corners :)

bornwild
27th September 2007, 03:30 PM
I know I was just kidding :D....I would have put it on the Sedan though, much better looking :)

Wraith
27th September 2007, 04:06 PM
There are already a few VE sedans 'running around' with the APS TT kit and they're all 11sec machines, running the basic bolt on kit as is at about 5-6psi only - not bad ;)

You'll also find that dozens of Monaros have it too and further dozens of both Munros and various sedans are fitted with other brand TT and supercharger kits from 'CAPA' and other tuning suppliers.......

In short there are ALOT of V8 sleepers out there :D

blueraven
27th September 2007, 05:06 PM
The veron has just been released in a special edition "Pur Sang" (pure blood).

it now is 100kg lighter(no paint, bare alimunim and carbon fibre), and will probably take back the top speed crown :)

xplosv57
27th September 2007, 07:22 PM
All this talk about LS1's and twin turbos is getting me upset!!!

I WANT TWIN TURBO!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon Wraith you know you wanna donate your TT kit to me............

digifish
27th September 2007, 08:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnOh6WY4FbY

Wraith
27th September 2007, 09:59 PM
Great find Digifish - well done :)

And for all those who wanted to hear what this twin turbo beast sounds like - there you have it, AWESOME :D

Wraith
27th September 2007, 10:08 PM
All this talk about LS1's and twin turbos is getting me upset!!!

I WANT TWIN TURBO!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon Wraith you know you wanna donate your TT kit to me............

LOL good things come to those who wait....... :)

This is what I want to put it into and your welcome to ride shot gun with me Steve :)

http://i23.tinypic.com/x3thmu.jpg

digifish
27th September 2007, 10:33 PM
Great find Digifish - well done :)

And for all those who wanted to hear what this twin turbo beast sounds like - there you have it, AWESOME :D

More here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_c6-euAkdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3u4GMc_XBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5NbyyILx_I

digifish
27th September 2007, 10:37 PM
Oooo look a Veyron doing donuts (1:20)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_4PY_xJjY

no sound tho :(

Wraith
27th September 2007, 10:42 PM
Holy crap Digifish, those vids of the SSC have made cream my pants, love the one on the dyno........damn, I need to clean myself up :D

Wait til Steve watches them LOL :D