PDA

View Full Version : Help! Possum/Clutch/Help

Skribble
23rd September 2007, 01:50 AM
Ok so here's what happened...

Just out cruising... parties etc. then as I was driving I saw something in the middle of the road, could have been a bag, some peice of clothing or a possum... turns out it's a possum, so I run over it... (wasn't going to swerve, was going to fast to avoid really) and I heard it hit underneath the car... all is fine, we laugh about it (possums are evil anyway right) then after driving for a few more K's I clutch in to downshift at a red light...

For some reason it wouldn't go into gear, I let the clutch in and out... nothing. I roll into a side street and slowly realise my pedal isn't doing anything.

It feels to me like the the cable (metal bar) whatever it is that connects the pedal to the actual clutch plate has come off, the pedal just does nothing, just pushes in and out.

Any help or advice as to something it may be is hugely appreciated... just thought there might be something people know about...

A few things to note...
In going into reverse it will still grind as if the clutch isn't in... all the other gears are locked out (as if no clutch in). Car still starts, runs and everything perfectly... just can't go anywhere as I can't get it into gear.

Thanks for any help.

PaulyJ
23rd September 2007, 10:28 AM
That possum went down fighting!
Best thing for you to do is to jack the car up, and check for anything that may have come loose, like the cable you're talking about, or anything around the gbox area.

Below is a pic of the cable in my car. It'd be different in yours, but its an indication of what you should check.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/paulyj/Gboxcable.jpg

Hope that helps.

Skribble
23rd September 2007, 10:42 AM
Alright thanks for that... helps alot...

My only problem is that the car is like 2k's away... so I will have to tow it either back here or down to the local garage...

I'll probably tow it on a rope behind someones car, shouldn't be too difficult right?

And thanks again Pauly... I beleive and hope that's all that happened. If that's the case it should be cheap to fix!

blueraven
23rd September 2007, 12:13 PM
yeah sounds like the possum made a lunge for a bracket or clutch cable :D...shouldnt be a big deal hopefully.

possum - 1
clutch - 0

Skribble
23rd September 2007, 09:15 PM
Yeh, my car did get owned by that possum...

I think it's possible I might have knocked a hose or something loose and drained the clutch fluid... because the car kept going for a few K's it didn't happen instantaniously. I'm going to go down to where it is tomorrow and fill up the clutch fluid again and then hopefully... she will work and I can drive down to the garage and get him to look at it.

Black Nugget
25th September 2007, 04:54 PM
Alright thanks for that... helps alot...

My only problem is that the car is like 2k's away... so I will have to tow it either back here or down to the local garage...

I'll probably tow it on a rope behind someones car, shouldn't be too difficult right?

And thanks again Pauly... I beleive and hope that's all that happened. If that's the case it should be cheap to fix!

Lol If you tow with a rope always remember to have the keys in the correct position. Everyone's seen that viral clip of the dousch in the WRX who engages steering lock when towed and crashes into a tree:D

woody
25th September 2007, 05:11 PM
FYI, intentionally killing a possum in australia is an offence punishable by law.. they are not evil creatures but cute little f#ckers who were here long before we were.

This message brought to you from you local W.I.R.E.S. Spokesperson.

**Edit**

Oh yeah sounds like the Clutch Cable is snapped/popped out - should be an easy fix.. that is unless it was a fighting possum... those buggers are tough and in which case i'd check you chassis is still there! :)

reedaaron
25th September 2007, 05:41 PM
Lol If you tow with a rope always remember to have the keys in the correct position. Everyone's seen that viral clip of the dousch in the WRX who engages steering lock when towed and crashes into a tree:D

wow good job :p that would have been funny for all onlookers :D

Skribble
26th September 2007, 06:13 AM
FYI, intentionally killing a possum in australia is an offence punishable by law.. they are not evil creatures but cute little f#ckers who were here long before we were.

This message brought to you from you local W.I.R.E.S. Spokesperson.

**Edit**

Oh yeah sounds like the Clutch Cable is snapped/popped out - should be an easy fix.. that is unless it was a fighting possum... those buggers are tough and in which case i'd check you chassis is still there! :)

It's also illegal to swerve on a road to avoid wildlife. I didn't intentionaly kill a possum. But there was no way I was swerving into parked cars just to save it's life.

reedaaron
26th September 2007, 07:55 AM
and rightly so! :)

i wouldn't either..

Tfer
26th September 2007, 09:05 AM
Gotta love our wildlife..... they certainly never give in, right to the very end :rolleyes:

Good luck with the car dude.

low astra
26th September 2007, 05:59 PM
um clutch cable??? dont astra's have a hydrualic clutch not cable???

bigmick
26th September 2007, 10:36 PM
that'd be right....little bugger just laying there playing possum...just waiting for some unsuspecting driver to come along....then it unleashed it's evil plan......(insert evil laugh)....lucky it wasn't one of them satanic wombats.....

btm
27th September 2007, 10:31 AM
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/8587/baby20possumvb5.jpg

bornwild
27th September 2007, 10:33 AM
Go Possum Go! :D

oneightoo
27th September 2007, 11:51 AM
did you go back and check the possum? if you hit one and it's still alive you should at least take it to a vet to be put to sleep..

woody
27th September 2007, 05:14 PM
um clutch cable??? dont astra's have a hydrualic clutch not cable???

Good point, hadn't thought about that.. not even sure to be honest..

Oh and swerving to avoid something is not illegal... it's just like swerving to avoid a pedestrian.

btm
28th September 2007, 10:42 AM
Oh and swerving to avoid something is not illegal... it's just like swerving to avoid a pedestrian.
so that's where i've been going wrong all these years... :rolleyes: :D

jerrypufflewell
29th September 2007, 07:02 PM
It's also illegal to swerve on a road to avoid wildlife. I didn't intentionaly kill a possum. But there was no way I was swerving into parked cars just to save it's life.

Lesson: Drive slower, and if you see a shape on the road slow down more incase it isn't just clothes or whatever.

Also how many lanes were there?

Lol I'm just feeling self-righteous