PDA

View Full Version : HOLDEN VZ SV6? Thoughts?

struz
18th September 2007, 08:14 PM
Hey guys...

Been looking for a new car for awhile and really need 4 doors and an automatic.

Currently driving an 03 TS SRi and im happy with it but i need more room. Was looking at the Mazda 6 but that's a tad pricey, now have come across the SV6 and i quiet like it. I don't want an 8 i've been there and done that. I was just want something sporty, good on petty/insurance and some power.

This thing pretty much has everything.. The only thing is i don't really know to much about them nor have i driven one yet. I have been searching google and haven't found that much on them.

Any of you guys driven one? Or even own one? Would love to hear some proper feedback.

John.

MatsHolden
18th September 2007, 08:27 PM
I've driven my mates VZ SV6, not a bad car. 5 speed auto isn't bad, but forget about the paddle shift mode that comes with the auto, it's terrible. Havn't driven the 6 speed manual, but i'd tend to go for that over the auto. Engine is smooth, but sounds quite raspy over 4500.

SKM_87
18th September 2007, 08:29 PM
i prefer the commo's woth the older type v6. the new alloytec, in the vz is a revvy, peaky p.o.s. the older engines are alot torquier, much nicer in a large car. but the prob is its a older car.

bornwild
18th September 2007, 08:46 PM
Don't expect any relationship between SV6 and words such as 'sporty' or 'some power'. In saying that it's not on the slow side either, I mean it has a 3.6L engine. Handling is terrible compared to the middle class segment comprised of Mazda6/Subaru Liberty/Ford Mondeo/Holden Vectra.

If I were you I'd wait and test the new Mondeo. A starting price of around 33k is not bad either.

PS. Just don't get a Toyota sportivo....please?

EL BURITO
18th September 2007, 08:57 PM
have u considered just getting a 5door SRi 2.2

bornwild
18th September 2007, 08:59 PM
He has one already and wants a larger car....lawl Burito :p

MatsHolden
18th September 2007, 09:04 PM
He has one already and wants a larger car....lawl Burito :p

He's referring to the AH 5 door SRi 2.2

EL BURITO
18th September 2007, 09:05 PM
its still bigger than the 3 door :p

struz
18th September 2007, 09:06 PM
He's referring to the AH 5 door SRi 2.2

Same engine tho and power output..

Want something a tad more faster..

190kw is looking quiet nice same with the 5 speed auto

bornwild
18th September 2007, 09:08 PM

Your fuel bill will be quite a looker as well :D:D.....+resale value with the SV6 is....."what resale value?"....lawl

MatsHolden
18th September 2007, 09:18 PM

Actually, slightly more... 2kw. lol Don't forget the Extra weight too with the Commodore. ;) Might have 190kw but the weight takes the edge off.

But i'd say the SV6 is a nice car. All well and good for people to say oh it doesn't do this or could be better here, but at the end of the day you are wanting a practical car and a bit of fun, not a pure bred performance vehicle.

pred8r
18th September 2007, 09:34 PM
Go a Calais or Berlina, at least itll have a slightly higher resale down the track.

xplosv57
18th September 2007, 09:40 PM
Ditto with above, go the Calais, slightly extra, but so much more niceties inside and resale a bit better also seeing as you want an auto!!! If you were after a 6spd manual, then the SV6 would be your only choice!!!

With the Alloytec V6's, tuning companies have begun tinkering round with them and are getting very decent power and fuel economy results, so these V6's would be a good buy!!!

The VZ's are quite well built seeing they're the last of the series, so most issues have been ironed out, safety is very good and is a comfortable car which is actually quite good on fuel (10-11l/100km i've seen in alloytec owners cars)!!

Hackstra
18th September 2007, 09:43 PM
I dunno bout the SV6, ever considered a Subaru Liberty? theyre ecconomical, look great and handle unreal. XR6's are cheap at the moment too i think, fel ecconomy isnt great on them tho

struz
18th September 2007, 10:22 PM
I actually don't know if i wanna spend to much on the car as i have a house as well guys and i don't wanna cut myself short.

I just want a neat package... Was thinking VY SS but don't know if it's for me.

Never really liked the look of the Liberty's well only the newer ones and they are a bit steep in price.

Keep the comments coming guys love the feedback.

John.

Wraith
18th September 2007, 10:23 PM
If your looking as you say for a decent sized 4 door sedan in auto guise, with ample grunt, and good value for money, then your choice is a good one - the VZ SV6's are very cheap to buy now and are still next to new.

You shoudn't have any dramas with servicing either and whether you leave it stock or do some mods to it, there's everything you could ever need for them out there.

Black Nugget
18th September 2007, 10:25 PM
SV6 is a bit like a tranny in my opinion, got the looks but not rite under the hood.......lol

still i rekon holden 6s lack refinement and at 1800kg it is lardy!

2nd hand lib gt, mazda 6, accord euro, IMO.

But at the end of the day it's your car mate, you're driving it so get what you like the best:D

jsantos
18th September 2007, 10:37 PM
Not sure about how much they cost etc. in comparison to the VZ SV6 how about a BA XR6T though?

oneightoo
19th September 2007, 10:14 AM
get the ute instead.. my flatmate has one, it's fun, and plenty on grunt under the bonnet..

Tfer
19th September 2007, 10:23 AM
Vectra C CDXi:

Cheap (you will get one for less than $20,000 with low k's)
Full leather
Climate control dual zone aircon
Either 5 speed auto or 5 speed manual
6 stack CD player with 9 speakers
Huge boot
Seats 4 very comfortably
Heated front seats
17" wheels standard
3.2l V6 (155kw and 320nm)
90% of max torque produced at 1,800rpm (she is quick off the line)
Goes hard, handles well, rides firm (so this is your sporty)
Great fuel economy on the highway
Have seen 250kph on my private runway
Okay fuel economy around town (depending on your right foot)
ABS, traction control, yaw assist, EBD, 4 -6 airbags standard
The later models had electric front seats and rain senstive wipers
They still have great presence on the road
Insurance is not expensiveMy 2 cents.....

rjastra
19th September 2007, 01:16 PM
Ditch the SV6 and get an VZ Acclaim instead.

You loose the 5 speed auto (which isn't that good anyway) and get the benefit of ESP and side airbags.

Invest in this... http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_3062/article.html and you will have a car thats faster than the SV6.

BTW. The VZ SV6 is nowhere near 1800kg.

bornwild
19th September 2007, 01:25 PM
It's 1600kg.

I agree with Tfer, get a Vectra Cdxi.

maloo97
19th September 2007, 06:22 PM
I also have been looking into getting into something bigger and have been out around looking for either a Vecy or a commowhore. Either way you go there in the same price bracket and fuel costs vary. These new alloytec are surposed to be better on fuel than the older models. My mums old vp sport wagon used to get about 400ks off a tank and my old man's Vs maloo also reached about the same.

Last week i test drove a few
vy s, 3.8 S $20ish
vz sv6 3.6 S - $27ish.
vectra cdxi 3.2 tiptronic - $23k ish.
and a Vs Statesman / caprice 3.8 S anywhere from $11k - 17k

I will def be going the supercharge just for that little bit of omph.

Vectracious
19th September 2007, 07:53 PM
I dunno what kind of VZII's or VE's some people have been driving to say that the old ECOTEC was better than the Alloytec V6's, but having extensively driven a VX Berlina with the 152kW ECOTEC and a VZ Berlina with the 175kW Alloytec - the Alloytec is a much nicer motor - yes it may sound ordinary etc etc but if you want a car that sounds nice, you buy a V8.

VZ's are built well (except for glovebox fit and finish) and they may be a bit old tech, they are definately NOT a shit drive. They are roomy, bloody fantastic on long trips but are good in the city as well.

Take into account fuel usage though - even though they are a smaller V6, they can still drink a bit which is due to the weight more than anything else. I had a VZ Berlina for about 2 months and most of my driving was in stop start traffic to work and back - was getting on average about 14L/100km not driving gently either - so was about average in terms of realistic fuel consumption I suppose.

But as Tfer and a few others have said, have a look at a Vectra C - a much nicer car and yes smaller than a Commo, but not by much.

Hackstra
19th September 2007, 08:05 PM
You can get one of the 3GEN liberties 2nd hand for under 28k. And im talking the B4, twin turbo. Otherwise you can settle for the 2.5 - 3.0L models, cheaper

struz
19th September 2007, 08:31 PM
I think i'll steer away from the Vectra, i agree they are a beauty of a car. Love the interior... Of course the only downfall is the fwd. Definately going back to a rwd i reckon.

I still think the VZ is a decent car... Still thinking that maybe a VY SS wouldn't be to bad of a choice but there goes my petrol economy.

Tfer
20th September 2007, 09:46 AM
It's 1600kg.

I agree with Tfer, get a Vectra Cdxi.

Yay!!! :D

I dunno what kind of VZII's or VE's some people have been driving to say that the old ECOTEC was better than the Alloytec V6's, but having extensively driven a VX Berlina with the 152kW ECOTEC and a VZ Berlina with the 175kW Alloytec - the Alloytec is a much nicer motor - yes it may sound ordinary etc etc but if you want a car that sounds nice, you buy a V8.

VZ's are built well (except for glovebox fit and finish) and they may be a bit old tech, they are definately NOT a shit drive. They are roomy, bloody fantastic on long trips but are good in the city as well.

Take into account fuel usage though - even though they are a smaller V6, they can still drink a bit which is due to the weight more than anything else. I had a VZ Berlina for about 2 months and most of my driving was in stop start traffic to work and back - was getting on average about 14L/100km not driving gently either - so was about average in terms of realistic fuel consumption I suppose.

But as Tfer and a few others have said, have a look at a Vectra C - a much nicer car and yes smaller than a Commo, but not by much.

Indeed... the Veccy is great for 4 people :)

I think i'll steer away from the Vectra, i agree they are a beauty of a car. Love the interior... Of course the only downfall is the fwd. Definately going back to a rwd i reckon.

I still think the VZ is a decent car... Still thinking that maybe a VY SS wouldn't be to bad of a choice but there goes my petrol economy.

The Veccy CD's and CDX's imo have rather wooden handling, compared to the CDXi, and if you haven't driven a CDXi.... do it first. I suppose it is what your personal preferences are, but I know (over 160,000km) that the Veccy C CDXi can be hustled very rapidly, safely and it really does shrink around the driver if you get my drift (just ask Dee or Reedaaron for their thoughts :rolleyes: :p ) :)

To me... the Veccy C CDXi is an absolute bargain :cool:

rjastra
20th September 2007, 10:20 AM
The bargain of the century would be to get a ........... 380!
Pickup one up cheap secondhand and then run it into the ground :)

MatsHolden
20th September 2007, 10:38 AM
Take into account fuel usage though - even though they are a smaller V6, they can still drink a bit which is due to the weight more than anything else. I had a VZ Berlina for about 2 months and most of my driving was in stop start traffic to work and back - was getting on average about 14L/100km not driving gently either -

That was because you were trying to do burnouts... with traction control on Pete. :p

Black Nugget
20th September 2007, 01:58 PM
I will def be going the supercharge just for that little bit of omph.

really? apparently they use nearly as much fuel as a v8 and have much less performance. Also only drinks premium!

USC
20th September 2007, 02:00 PM
Get a Toyota Crown.

maloo97
20th September 2007, 02:03 PM
really? apparently they use nearly as much fuel as a v8 and have much less performance. Also only drinks premium!

Oh really?
I'll have to look into that a bit further.

bornwild
20th September 2007, 03:57 PM
Oh really?
I'll have to look into that a bit further.

Yeah the supercharger requires 95Ron. Anyhow, steer away from the SV6....like, seriously....no jokes, it's a crap car.

Get a 2nd hand Liberty B4. :cool:

ps. The b4 can, with a bit of modding, kill aything on the road.

oneightoo
20th September 2007, 04:12 PM
Get a 2nd hand Liberty B4. :cool:

ps. The b4 can, with a bit of modding, kill aything on the road.

this is true..

a cat back, FMIC, and air flow metre controller will boost the atw power from 124kws to 170kw at all four paws with boost raised slightly to 1.1 bar.. thats a 37percent increase for next to nothing done..

GreyRex
20th September 2007, 05:20 PM
Well my family had a VZ SV6 auto from new for about 2/3 years. My mum owned it and drove it like a granny, but she enjoyed the fact the power was there if she wanted it, it was great as a country tourer and really economical on long trips. Before that we had a VY S pack, so I reckon i'd be valid in making a comparison. The VZ IS better. The transmission in the VZ SV6 is pretty good. Still sort of clunky, but it does hold the gears and 'learn' i suppose your driving style. I tested this many times on some mountain drives, whereas you wouldnt always be flicking and clunking through the gears in the VY. In short for me, for an SV6:

PROS:
Decent power
Fairly reliable
Fairly safe
Side airbags were available
Electronic throttle (no massive drop in power when the Traction Control kicked on, nor did it pulsate the pedal anymore)

CONS:
Engine doesn't sound as nice as some may hope
Can be thirsty round town
Suspension can be pretty hard
Seats waaaaay too soft and unsupportive
Steering wheel feels thin (same thickness all the way round)

As an all rounder though, it's pretty good

xplosv57
20th September 2007, 06:25 PM
If fuel isn't an issue, go the VY SS, the smile the V8 gives you is so worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!

struz
20th September 2007, 08:40 PM
I went past a holden dealer and checked out a black 04 cdxi..

I actually quiet like the car and it has actually swayed my mind a tad.
The interior is very nice (this one was leather) it felt pretty comfy. Anyone with any complaints with the seats?

I heard someone said they make 152kw? or something? thats quick.
I actually kinda like the vectra will need to be black with the smoked lights looks pretty sexy... Hmm decisions... decisions..

Mizled - I actually did find the seats in the VZ to be annoying aswell, they just didn't feel like you were sitting in them..

stevedee3
20th September 2007, 10:09 PM
I heard someone said they make 152kw? or something? thats quick.155 kW, 300 Nm - Factor in the weight difference and you'll probably find a CDXi Vectra is quicker than a V6 VZ Commodore. Much better chassis and safety gear too.

VE SV6 probably has a better chassis than the Vectra, but is also a lot more expensive.

cdxi
21st September 2007, 11:33 AM
I chose the Vectra CDXi over the SV6 and wouldn't have it any other way. My Vec is an '05 model with 6 'bags, ESP, 8 way-3 position memory electric seats, rain sensitive wipers etc.

Drive one and you'll enjoy it for sure. Steering has great feel and response, handling is taut, flat and there are no surprises thanks to the ESP, TC (switchable) and CBC. Ride is firm but supple. And, if you give it a bootful, it'll go like stink and has a pretty musical growl.

Plus, the Vectra looks the biz! Dual exhausts, 17s, dark headlight surrounds, deep front intake and a nicely subtle and mature body kit.

Cost wise, the Vec is on a par with insurance and both have already gone past the initial depreciation shock. Fuel economy around town will swing the Vec's way, but remember that will be offset somewhat by the need for premium. Servicing costs....well, don't take either the Vec or the SV6 to a Holden dealer for that!

I find that the 5 speed auto can be a bit Jeckyl & Hyde.....sometimes it is as smooth and seamless as honey, but in a traffic crawl, can sometimes be caught out and shift up and down in an instant, causing a fairly loud clunk.

Seats are comfortable on short and long trips, the 9 speaker stereo craps all over the standard unit in the SV6, the boot is he-yuge but the SV6 wins on rear seat leg-room.

Definitely have a close look at the 3.2 CDXi. Find a very late '04 (MY05 upgrade) or an '05 build with all the fruit. CDXis ceased importation into Australia quite early in 05 so you won't find an 06 compliance. The 3.2 CDX and 3.2 CD models (also available in sedan) continued for a while to clear Euro stock ahead of the 2005 Opel/Vauxhall facelift so there'll be some bargains out there.

Just drive one!

MatsHolden
21st September 2007, 03:03 PM
If fuel isn't an issue, go the VY SS, the smile the V8 gives you is so worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely...