PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel

ZC_74
17th September 2007, 07:58 AM
Ok guys

I have started to try and remove the lion frm the steering wheel. I have seen a couple of threads on here but what I can behind the badge seems a little different to what I have read.

I have sort of 'dislodged' it now but when I get a torch in behind it looks like there is one thick 'pin' right in the centre. Has anyone seen the same? Any suggestions for removing that bit? I figure if I somehow cut it, the badge would come off but the remaning part of the pin would fall in behind he wheel.

Thoughts?

Skribble
17th September 2007, 08:17 AM
I havn't rebadged my wheel... but I can only imagine a thin hacksaw blade would do the job.

Tfer
17th September 2007, 09:31 AM
Adam, I read something somewhere (may have been on Vectra-C.com) that a guy used fishing line to take the badge off, leaving the backing plate in place.... I have been meaning to try this, but keep forgetting :o

ZC_74
17th September 2007, 09:37 AM
TFER

too late for that I'm afraid. The badge is almost destroyed and the backing plate has nearly come off. I'm more concerned now about getting it off but making sure that if that pin goes that nothing will happen as far as affecting the airbag

guy 27
17th September 2007, 10:59 AM
I did the same as you and completely destroyed the backing plate.
Just keep snapping it off and with a sharp knife carefully keep cutting away at the plastic pin. took me about 45 minutes to get it all flush.
Its a pain but it can be done

ZC_74
17th September 2007, 08:22 PM
I did the same as you and completely destroyed the backing plate.
Just keep snapping it off and with a sharp knife carefully keep cutting away at the plastic pin. took me about 45 minutes to get it all flush.
Its a pain but it can be done

Guy

What sort of car? The responses I'm getting from the Vectra-c forum are scaring me

guy 27
17th September 2007, 08:33 PM
My car is an astra sri. i shitted myself at one stage thinking i was going to pull the pins out and cause the air bag to pop but if you just take your time and do it carefully it will work. i found heating up the scalpel i used worked wonders

ZC_74
18th September 2007, 07:12 AM
I think it may be a different setup.

This is what my airbag looks like de-badged and removed from the car.

Imagine the badge having a great silver pin which goes through that centre hole. I have dislodged the badge enough to get something in there and cut it off but what would happen to the remaining part of the pin?

ope126
18th September 2007, 05:15 PM
Do you have a badge to replace it with?

ZC_74
18th September 2007, 06:52 PM
Was going to make a black cap and I have an Opel wheel cap that I have taken the flash from

R3N
18th September 2007, 07:09 PM
astras and vectras have diff designs in their steering wheel. mine didn't have a pin when i removed the backing plate. so can't help you there. i'd imagine the pin would fall back inside the steering wheel. but that can easily be fixed, all you gotta do is remove the battery for a while to disable the airbag then take the airbag cover off and retrieve said pin. i know its easier said than done. but that would be your other alternative

MK
18th September 2007, 11:27 PM
this is the best i could find that i assume is as close what you have in your Vectra...

http://images3.fotosik.pl/238/7893e149fded4395m.jpg (http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/7893e149fded4395.html)

confirming what R3N said you will most likely have to retrieve the backing pin\disk from inside the air bag compartment just to avoid any flying objects in the event of the air bag activating when in collision (which i wish you never have)

USC
19th September 2007, 12:47 AM
mate, be brave. disconnect the battery and pull the steering apart...u should have access to the pin. or get a long bent nose thin pliers and pull the pin out ....

ZC_74
19th September 2007, 07:22 AM
So the question is...

Can I remove the airbag safely from the cover to then get the pin out?

If I unbolt the cover, is it simply a matter or removing the airbag from the cover? Will it still 'detonate' in the case of an accident safely?

I'm prepared to remove it from the wheel and do it because as I said I have well and truly stuffed the lion trying to get it out but I want to make sure that the airbag is still safe and still working

USC
19th September 2007, 09:40 AM
what I would probably advise is ask a vectra forum from the UK as these cars are more popular over there and someone must have done it b4. Or your other option is to try ask Holden or a mechanic but I doubt they will know.

oneightoo
19th September 2007, 10:04 AM
your airbag wont go off unless the sensor is triggered.. and the sensor isnt in your steering wheel..

USC
19th September 2007, 01:35 PM
your airbag wont go off unless the sensor is triggered.. and the sensor isnt in your steering wheel..

yep thats a good point but he was asking whether the airbag will still work?
Im pretty sure it will. I saw my curtain airbags behing the headlining and it just looks like rolled up cloth...pretty weird.as long as u dont unwrap it, it should be fine I guess.

oneightoo
19th September 2007, 02:05 PM
just taking that piece off shouldn't affect it, so long as everything goes back together 100% correctly it should work fine..

still, prolly not something you want to tinker with for the sake off changing a badge..