PDA

View Full Version : Colin McRae Dead?

KID_SRi
16th September 2007, 10:31 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/15/ncopter115.xml

Colin McRae feared dead in helicopter crash

By Brendan Montague and Jasper Copping
Last Updated: 8:29pm BST 15/09/2007

Colin McRae, the former world rally driving champion, is feared dead in a helicopter crash in Scotland.

Colin McRae
Colin McRae was awarded an MBE in 1996

The aircraft burst into flames after it came down in woodland near Lanark, at around 4.10pm, killing everyone on board.

Jean-Eric Freudiger, McRae's agent, last night told The Sunday Telegraph he had spoken to the driver's brother and that he had confirmed the former champion had been piloting the Squirrel aircraft.

Speaking from his home in Switzerland, Mr Freudiger said he was still in shock and fighting back tears as he said he could not reach Mr McRae's wife, Alison.

He added: "I have heard that it was his aircraft. He was in the helicopter. I cannot believe it was a helicopter pilot error because as my best friend and the godfather of my daughter I know he was a very safe pilot.

"We have been close business partners and friends for seven years. He is the best person I have ever met in my life. I have to try and understand what I have just been told."

The aircraft, which was registered to McRae, came down in Jervis Wood, around a mile from Mr McRae's home at Bellefield Road in Lanark.

The 39-year-old McRae – who has two children, Hollie and Johnny – became Britain's first World Rally Champion in 1995 and was still competing in the sport.

His father, Jimmy, was a five-time British rally champion, while his younger brother, Alister, is also a professional driver. Mr McRae has said he uses his helicopter, as well as a six-seater jet, to travel between his homes in Scotland, Monaco and Majorca.

He once told reporters: "I don't have things for show. I'm not brash and I'm not on an ego trip. If I buy something it is because I genuinely want or need it."

Squirrel helicopters can carry up to six people and police were last night unable to say how many people were on board.

A spokeswoman for Strathclyde Police said: "There is at least one dead and no one survived the crash. We don't yet know how many people were on board."

The crash was witnessed by a farmer. The aircraft was so badly damaged by fire that police could not initially identify what type it was.

The Scottish Ambulance Service confirmed that its own helicopter had been despatched to the scene along with three ambulance crews.

Strathclyde Fire Brigade also sent units to the scene.

The RAF spokesman added that its helicopter was on stand-by to assist. Police have cordoned off the area and the Air Accident Investigation Branch has been informed.

A spokesman for the British Airports Authority said the helicopter did not come from Glasgow or Edinburgh Airports.

Four people were killed when a Squirrel helicopter crashed in Cambridgeshire, earlier this year.

If confirmed, What a Terrible Loss to World Rallying.
Possom Bourne, Richard Burns & Now Colin Mcrae.
Rest in Peace Colin. He was aged 39

Skribble
16th September 2007, 11:42 AM
Oh my god... if that's true, that's incredibly sad.

kuruptz
16th September 2007, 12:11 PM
Apparently his son and another adult + child were in the helicopter, colin was the pilot.

Im pretty sure its confirmed.

R.I.P

skulless
16th September 2007, 12:27 PM
RIP mate. He's one of my fav rally drivers. And his games were really nice rally games too.

xplosv57
16th September 2007, 02:18 PM
Yet another motor racing legend tragically killed, one of my all time favourite drivers on the world stage...

Calibrated
16th September 2007, 02:49 PM
:(:(:(:(
Very Sad day for Motorsport.

SIMid
16th September 2007, 04:22 PM
I heard this morning as well.

Great driver and loved his driving style, always made headlines.

He will be missed deeply by millions.

sooty
16th September 2007, 05:57 PM
OMG WTH....that's terrible. He truly will be missed by millions.

R.I.P

nadg63
16th September 2007, 06:54 PM
"If confirmed, What a Terrible Loss to World Rallying.
Possom Bourne, Richard Burns & Now Colin Mcrae."

Think I'd be a bit spooked if I was Petter Solberg or Chris Atkinson - they were ALL Subaru drivers ........................ !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wraith
16th September 2007, 07:05 PM
Absolutely tragic.....

Another needless loss.....

KID_SRi
16th September 2007, 07:21 PM
"If confirmed, What a Terrible Loss to World Rallying.
Possom Bourne, Richard Burns & Now Colin Mcrae."

Think I'd be a bit spooked if I was Petter Solberg or Chris Atkinson - they were ALL Subaru drivers ........................ !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I noticed they were all Subaru Factory Drivers aswell.

Skribble
16th September 2007, 07:52 PM
Now that it's confirmed, I know no one who knew him would read this, but if they do I'm sorry for the loss.

And I'm also sorry for the loss to any car lover, car enthusiast... I'm sorry for the community.

cyclonic
16th September 2007, 07:57 PM
RIP Colin... very sad day.. :(

Black Nugget
16th September 2007, 08:59 PM
Very sad, a true champion with imense skill, thanks to him and his games i'm sure he has introduced thousands to WRC.

bornwild
16th September 2007, 11:34 PM
Sorry guys I didn't even see this thread so I opened up the Tribute one....

Very, very sad day. I could not bloody believe it.....

blueraven
17th September 2007, 01:45 AM
RIP...most famous man in WRC..and one of the best.

Tfer
17th September 2007, 09:34 AM
A gifted talented driver, something different to the norm.... he will be missed.

What a loss. :(

poita
17th September 2007, 05:40 PM
wat a tragic loss, heard about this while watchin teh F1 last night.
will be terrible for his family, even more so that his 5 yr ols son was killed also :(

xplosv57
17th September 2007, 07:20 PM
Ironically none of the three mentioned rally drivers actually died racing, Bourne on the recce run in a standard car, Burns of illness and McRae in the helicopter crash...

...shows how well they did their sport in their times!!!!

Very sad news however about Colin, his young son and the other passengers also!!!!

JR
17th September 2007, 11:42 PM
R.I.P Colin McRae MBE (1968-2007)

Thanks for all the great moments in the World Rally motorsports.

btm
18th September 2007, 10:00 AM
i really liked his playstation games too :)

RIP buddy

SaInT
19th September 2007, 04:17 AM
RIP. One of the most fearless WRC drivers.

Greggy
20th September 2007, 06:44 PM
A day or so later, his old Subaru boss was involved in a helicopter crash, but he survived.........very spooky that he too was in the same make / model aricraft....!

btm
21st September 2007, 10:23 AM
A day or so later, his old Subaru boss was involved in a helicopter crash, but he survived.........very spooky that he too was in the same make / model aricraft....!

really! i did not hear that

OPC
21st September 2007, 11:08 PM
wonder how nicky grist is copeing ?