PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane...whats it like?

blueraven
11th September 2007, 10:58 AM
I have been offered a job in brisbane and told to name my price...

So whats it like to live there? i am pretty settled over here in perth, but maybe a change of scenery would be good...

btm
11th September 2007, 11:05 AM
remember that crispy lives there :rolleyes:

:p

Dee
11th September 2007, 11:05 AM
I like it better than Melbourne

But then again, I was out in the sticks in Melbourne and all of my family and friends were in Brisbane.

It depends what you like doing - name a few things and I'm sure people here would be more than willing to pass on feedback

oneightoo
11th September 2007, 11:53 AM
yeah it's good.. never been to perth so i cant compare those to..

surfers is fun, and only an hour away, sunshine coast is fun, and only an hour away..

it's cheap to live there, well compared to what we pay in sydney it's hell cheap..

Tfer
11th September 2007, 12:34 PM
To me, Brisbane is a like a very big country town, but is growing rapidly.

Currently, 481 people are moving to South East Queensland per week.

Housing values generally speaking, are rising by about 15% pa.

Brisbane seems to have most things others have, and as 182 said, Gold Coast is 45 minutes from Brisbane, and the Sunshine Coast is one hour to one hour fifteen, depending on time of day.

Ease of access to most things, and the short amount of time to get from one side of Brisbane to the other, are big advantages.

If you rely on public transport, be careful of location, as some suburbs really lack, where as others have plenty of options.

My 2 cents.....

Tfer
11th September 2007, 12:46 PM
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/visitors/

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane

http://lonelyplanet.com/destinations/australasia/brisbane/

http://www.ci.brisbane.ca.us/

http://www.brisbanecitylife.com.au/

:cool:

EL BURITO
11th September 2007, 12:51 PM
least you would be in a alright position to get alright $'s for your place considering Perth's housing problems

btm
11th September 2007, 12:52 PM
To me, Brisbane is a like a very big country town,
full of bogans?? :D

i like brisbane, but personally prefer perth much more

Tfer
11th September 2007, 12:53 PM
full of bogans?? :D

i like brisbane, but personally prefer perth much more

Nah... that's Ipswich :D

Dee
11th September 2007, 12:54 PM
and Toowoomba is full of slack jawed yokals

Tfer
11th September 2007, 12:57 PM

Muwahahahahahaha :D

Keep left.... just speed :rolleyes:

Wraith
11th September 2007, 01:01 PM
I read somewhere Perth was the best capital city in Oz to live, with all things considered ??? maybe, maybe not, I've never been so can't comment, other reports suggest Melbourne is the most live-able ???

If that is the case, you'll be going backwards BR.... :rolleyes: although being in close proximity to surfers and a cheaper cost of living must be a plus :)

btm, you want bogans, just come down to Melbourne lol and I'm sure Sydney has its fair share too :D

low astra
11th September 2007, 04:25 PM
same as everywhere else once you get settled, untill then its what you make of it...

skulless
11th September 2007, 05:29 PM
maybe i'm the right person to answer your questions, i came to au to study close to 5 years ago, i've been to sydney and melbourne but i still prefer brisbane.

the weather, the people, the traffic and the beaches, mate, you cant get better beaches than up here in the coast.

cost of living is cheaper than sydney and mel. entertainment tho is abit dead compare to them. but most importantly, the decision lies with yourself, family and friends are the most important factor to consider.:)

Noir
11th September 2007, 10:31 PM
It depends what would keep you in Perth.

When the money is right and if your Mrs is willing, why the hell not? At least you would get more people to cruise with ;)

EL BURITO
12th September 2007, 12:35 AM
It depends what would keep you in Perth.

When the money is right and if your Mrs is willing, why the hell not? At least you would get more people to cruise with ;)
in a state were it is easier to loose your license

CJB
12th September 2007, 07:56 AM
remember that crispy lives there :rolleyes:

:p
Didnt you hear, thats what actually drives people to move to QLD!!! hahahaha

Nah... that's Ipswich :D

True...

even more true.

We have the best weather too - none of this 4 seasons in one day :)

cbrmale
12th September 2007, 08:44 AM
I've done a lot of business travel around Australia, and Brisbane was my least favourite city. For its size, it's dead. I am into art and culture, and in Brisbane such things are non-existant. For younger people there is night life, but it is very, very dodgy.

On one of my first business trips I flew in on a Sunday. On the way to the hotel, I asked the taxi driver for something interesting to see for the afternoon. He couldn't name anything, which pretty much sums up the place.

Ishley
12th September 2007, 09:20 AM
I've done a lot of business travel around Australia, and Brisbane was my least favourite city. For its size, it's dead. I am into art and culture, and in Brisbane such things are non-existant. For younger people there is night life, but it is very, very dodgy.

On one of my first business trips I flew in on a Sunday. On the way to the hotel, I asked the taxi driver for something interesting to see for the afternoon. He couldn't name anything, which pretty much sums up the place.
I wouldnt take one taxi drivers in-ability to name one good thing for you to look at on your way to the hotel as an indication of what Brisbane is like. He probably couldnt care less what you saw and was close to finishing his shift. And thought you might you might get cranky if he took too long.

As for the night life. Im sure Sydney and Melbourne are just if not more "dodgy" then Brisbane. We have clubs in the Valley and in Brisbane, as well as up the Sunshine Coast and down the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast also offers many more things then clubbing in its night life. We also have MANT theme parks to visit.

The weather is perfect hot in summer, cold in winter and perfect the other times of year. The season's are what you would expect.

Art & Culture. Its the same for every city. You just have to know where to look. Plenty of art galleries & art shows around Brisbane and both coast's. Day time activities on your days off are endless. The Gold Coast is always a popular place, as is the Sunshine Coast. A country drive out toward Ipswich and beyond is only 45mins to an hour away.

At the end of the day the same things you do in Perth will be here in Brisbane. It just comes down to weather the deal your employer offers you can justify the move across country.

skulless
12th September 2007, 11:24 AM
very well said indeed, it all comes down to your employment deal and whether you paid well enough to make move across the country

miss beckie
12th September 2007, 11:35 AM

And what year was that that you visited? I agree with Ishley...i wouldn't take one Taxi driver's opinion to sum up a city. If you are into Arts and Crafts, Southbank is an excellent area for this. Apart from the Weekend Markets, we have the newly built Gallery of Modern Art which and the revamped Qld Art Gallery, The State Library, for shows you have QPAC with the lyric theatre.....head over into West End and there are some brilliant hidden coffee shops and other places.
Alternatively, head over to New Farm Park and surrounding areas, a gorgeous area to sit and read a book surrounded by rose gardens (haven't been there in a few months but i have no doubt that even in this drought it would still be beautiful), there are also a lot of nice little cafes and markets around there, plus the Powerhouse, and the Valley Markets. And there is plenty of public transport around too.

If you had really wanted something to do, perhaps you could have picked up one of those 'what is there to do in <Insert City/ARea here> Guides, i know that's one of the first things i do when i get to a new place.

But at the end of the day, it is whether the employment deal and salary is suitable to you as well, and how you can make whatever area you live in your home.

Ishley
12th September 2007, 12:51 PM
If you did choose to move you have an instant "family" in OpelAus QLD. We can show you around, and have all the relative information about the state in which we live. I mean who better to ask.......

blueraven
12th September 2007, 03:23 PM
thanks for your input guys :)

bornwild
12th September 2007, 03:46 PM
Mate I live in Melb but recently went on a 5day trip to Brissie. Much smaller than Melb so for me it was rather interesting but I imagine I'd get bored after a while. As for you coming from Perth, go for it...Brissie is gorgeous....I loved it.....and the WOMEN!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

btm
12th September 2007, 03:46 PM
just watch out for those cops patrolling the nullabor if you end up driving your way over

CJB
12th September 2007, 04:52 PM
just watch out for those cops patrolling the nullabor if you end up driving your way over
and any possible mad men with guns! Yes I watched CI Australia last night!!! hahaha

My town for example, Ipswich is considered a sh1thole, not much to do, but I make things to do - just ask Ishley!

We either head to the many shopping centres (Tour De City Beach I call it)... Carindale, Chermside, HyperDome, Pacific Fair Grand Plaza, Indro, then there is further west, River Link (personal fav, lol) Grand Central in Toowoomba.

We go for nice drives on the scenic rim, to Cunningham's Gap, to Toowoomba - take in the sights, have a look around, explore... always fun.

Then closer to Brisbane there is Mt Nebo, Brisbane Forest Park, Mt Coot-tha - Planetarium... As for clubs, Indro goes off on a Wednesday, and then there is the Storey Bridge Hotel, the Exchange, the Regatta, City Rowers, the city itself... You can go camping at the coasts, or inland... there is Montville and Maleny, beautiful views with nice expensive shops.

You can do the Storey Bridge climb, climb the Kangaroo Point cliffs, go to Southbank on a Friday for dinner and the markets... ummm...

If you like driving, there is lapping in the city, coast and Ipswich - u can go to the spit on a Sunday.

There is always something going on in the Valley - example, the Valley fiesta (can't remember if it was the weekend just gone or coming).

I think every city is the same (not that I have visited them all) but it's more about what you make of it, who you have with you and how you choose to spend your time.

As for Art and Culture - our culture is our lifestyle. I haven't really spent much time in Sydney, but you ask anyone that visits from NSW, and they all say we are very laidback and cruisy, and it's admired by many. That's our culture.

Sometimes Brisbane does tend to be "boring" but like I said, it's what you make of it, what you do, and more then not, who you're in the presence of.

And just because Brisbane is smaller doesnt mean it isnt expanding - in the last ten years the Western side of Brisbane has built up so much. For example in say 1995 Ipswich felt remote from Brisbane, you could really feel the distance driving, now you can't, it's all built up and just feels part of Brisbane - much like Parramatta is to Sydney.

Dee
12th September 2007, 05:26 PM
valley fiesta is this weekend - 14-19th sept

Baulderstone Hornibrook is a sponsor :D

i'll go and have a look around i reckon

shoey85
12th September 2007, 08:06 PM
br, the week i spent in QLD was one of the best weeks ive ever had off work! did so much and there is so much left to do over ther, i found it expensive but if ur getting paid whatever u want then who cares, i wud prolly rent out ur place so you can still build equity n shit, thinkn 4 the future.

as 4 the traffic well they love to go through red lights and pedestrians have right of way over turning cars WTF :confused: no radar detectors allowed over ther though :(

seems to be a heap more active state than good old sleepy WA, so i reckon go 4 it!

low astra
12th September 2007, 09:07 PM

maybe your cab driver could think of so mant things he just didnt know where to start?
and our night life goes off, just have to pick your nights, and know the spots,

p.s. sunday arvos, go to fisho's down the gold coast,

dug74
12th September 2007, 09:57 PM
If brisbane and SE QLD is so bad....why are ppl from NSW and VIC moving up here in droves....

Brisbane was once a sleepy big country town...over the last 10 years like said...it has grown very large...I live south of brissy in area that was once considered *remote*. Now you can drive from Brisbane to the either coast and never leave surburbia.....same goes when you travel west.

Art and culture is plentiful in Brisbane....we have Southbank, West End, Valley and New Farm to name a few areas that have art galleries, theatre and many other culture events.

Obviously the taxi driver either didnt know brisbane himself or didnt care about the visiting traveller.

Either way...like said..its up too what you getting paid to relocate and what you have to leave in WA.

Look to the future.....and think...when im old..where do i wanna live....WA or maybe Noosa or Hervey Bay :dance:

Cheers
DUG74

EL BURITO
12th September 2007, 11:23 PM
New Australian Land speed record lol

cbrmale
13th September 2007, 08:52 AM
And what year was that that you visited? I agree with Ishley...i wouldn't take one Taxi driver's opinion to sum up a city.

I've been to Brisbane dozens of times and I know my way around and what to see. I quoted the taxi driver in a allegorical sense. My sense of Brisbane is that for the size, it is really boring. With the exception of Sydney, for their sizes Australian cities are boring by world standards, but Brisbane more so than most.

I don't like the weather in any case, the summer is too hot and humid for me. I don't like Canberra's winters either, but at least summer in Canberra is superb.

Red AH SRI T
13th September 2007, 12:49 PM
Brisbane is fabulous..........Crispy and Ishley live there!!!!!

Ishley
13th September 2007, 01:43 PM
Would you need another reason to move???

I know thats why Dee moved from Melbourne to Brisbane. And we have sooo many visitors like Em, Kurt, Matchu comes up often. BTM has been up before. And i am sure there are others.

Ishley
13th September 2007, 01:44 PM
I've been to Brisbane dozens of times and I know my way around and what to see. I quoted the taxi driver in a allegorical sense. My sense of Brisbane is that for the size, it is really boring. With the exception of Sydney, for their sizes Australian cities are boring by world standards, but Brisbane more so than most.

I don't like the weather in any case, the summer is too hot and humid for me. I don't like Canberra's winters either, but at least summer in Canberra is superb.
Just interested to know what you did do while you were up here? How long were you up here for and where do you stay???

We can give suggestions for the next time you come up, so you arent so bored.

digifish
13th September 2007, 02:30 PM
Hot and humid were the first two things that came to mind :)

...that said, I'd put Brisbane in the top 3 cities in Australia to live in tho.

here's trouble :)

From a car-drivers perspective -

Adelaide, Canberra, Brisbaine, Hobart, Perth (nice places to live)
Melbourne (difficult)
Sydney (impossible and stupid).

digifish.

btm
13th September 2007, 02:51 PM
impossible and stupid is a little harsh...

digifish
13th September 2007, 02:56 PM
impossible and stupid is a little harsh...

...I said here comes trouble :)

BTW: I live in Adelaide, which is a fairly dull/boring place...but it's a relatively nice place from a drivers perspective...if you catch the drift of my post.

digifish.

Tfer
13th September 2007, 03:29 PM

Gross over exagerations, and under estimations, but I respect your opinion. I believe Brisbane could very well come across like that, if you do not have a good circle of friends. Brisbane comes into its own within your circle of friends, social group etc. I haven't had the need to go to another city to catch a performance, show, etc, yet. :)

Maybe that is why I refer to Brisbane as a large country town.....

Our taxi drivers, generally speaking, are flat out staying on the road, let alone being your tour planner :rolleyes:

Mate I live in Melb but recently went on a 5day trip to Brissie. Much smaller than Melb so for me it was rather interesting but I imagine I'd get bored after a while. As for you coming from Perth, go for it...Brissie is gorgeous....I loved it.....and the WOMEN!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ah yes, the women! :D

Possibly it would seem.... not :rolleyes:

Oh dear.... Canberra :p

Glad you didn't spend summer in FNQ ;) then you would know what humidity is all about, by Queensland standards, and yes I too, hate Queensland's summers...... and now maybe onto to India :eek:

Just interested to know what you did do while you were up here? How long were you up here for and where do you stay???

We can give suggestions for the next time you come up, so you arent so bored.

Indeed..... the Opelaus South East Queensland Tour.... done in your choice of Opel, and your choice of driver :D

btm
13th September 2007, 03:53 PM
Our taxi drivers, generally speaking, are flat out staying on the road, let alone being your tour planner :rolleyes:
at least your taxi drivers can speak english...

Tfer
13th September 2007, 03:57 PM
at least your taxi drivers can speak english...

There really does appear to be an increase in the number who can't..... and I wonder why? :rolleyes:

But if anyone is after a very knowledgeable, well spoken, polite Business Class Taxi Driver in Brisbane, pm me for John's details..... he is really that good! :cool:

mr corsa
13th September 2007, 08:57 PM
2 weekends a year is enuff in qld for me thats mini jam and jambo but going back again in oct for jambo 07 as the last one was washed out! and that sayn
"beautiful one day perfect the next" wot a load of bull

low astra
13th September 2007, 10:42 PM
but I respect your opinion.

sorry i dont, brisbane is tops, you just dont know what your talking about ( not you thomas, i know you know your stuff )

2 weekends a year is enuff in qld for me thats mini jam and jambo but going back again in oct for jambo 07 as the last one was washed out! and that sayn

um, thats ipshit, the bumhole of brisbane,( sorry crispy ) its always a little on the fukked side out there

EL BURITO
13th September 2007, 11:32 PM
sorry i dont, brisbane is tops,

He is entitled to his opinion thou

low astra
13th September 2007, 11:38 PM
He is entitled to his opinion thou
ehhhh
he doesnt want to listen to anyone else'

btm
14th September 2007, 09:59 AM
um, thats ipshit, the bumhole of brisbane,( sorry crispy ) its always a little on the fukked side out there

no need to apologise... he likes bumholes ;)

cyclonic
14th September 2007, 06:13 PM
Well i'm from northern NSW and been here in Perth for 13 years. If you can deal with the relative humidity then you'll do fine in Brissie.

I lived in Sydney and that place was an utter hole. I love Perth to bits but Brizzie has got lots of stuff around it.

BR, i'd name your price (make it a big one!) and go for it. What do you have to lose? The chance to live and work in another city doesn't come up too often and one of the better things you can do in life, I think. It helps give you a more rounded perspective on things.

Ishley
17th September 2007, 11:25 AM
What dont you like/makes your stay shite?

Both weekends you come, you are in the same area..... Dont think you have experianced much of QLD

BAHAHAHAHA :D :clap:

CJB
17th September 2007, 10:32 PM
This is a very good fact - in fact it should be on tour guides IMO.

Also a good fact, to be added to the brochure.

Hey I know you're curious!

Having just been to Melbourne, I must say... I'd be eager to pack my bags and get down there!!!!!

However things Brisbane def has in it's favour, the weather, not necessarily the heat, but the sunshine. I noticed in Vic even when sunny for that one hour, it was very dreary, very grey like... a little depressing at times I guess.

Every city in this country has something to offer, and half the attraction to a new city is somewhere to explore.

btm
18th September 2007, 10:42 AM
Every city in this country has something to offer, and half the attraction to a new city is somewhere to explore.

bingo! hit the nail on the head with that one

vectraguy01
20th September 2007, 07:53 PM
been in brissie all my life and love it to bits, syd is a shit hole :P, melb is to crap-on-a-stick.com, and well perth i havent been to, have had a few friends come from there and its like 5-20yrs behind the rest of aust, is wat my friends tell me. I love Tassie especially Hobart its a nice easy going place to go, and to be honest the chicks down there are well i say extremely hot lol, same as bris and gc.