PDA

View Full Version : AH Astra and LCD

guin83
6th September 2007, 03:48 PM
With AH astras, I noted that we can't purchase normal in-dash LCD screens and install as the stereo unit is actually built in to the dash board that can not be replaced.

I was thinking, it may be possible to remove original LCD that sits on top of the air conditioning vents. Size of the original LCD is a lot smaller than that of the retail units (normally 7 inch) but I realized I may be able to remove entire frame around the LCD to fit 7 inch after market screens.

My query is, I also don't want to loose central display (that gives you time, Air-Con info, Music track info etc) when removing the original screen. Does anybody know if the original screen is connected with the central display system using RCA input that you can simply disconnect, and reconnect to the new LCD unit?

Does anyone have a picture of any examples of Astra AH with modified LCD screens?

EL BURITO
6th September 2007, 03:56 PM
well yes u can remove the deck and yes to also being able to replace the in-dash screen. It would be hard if at all possible to get all that data on a after market screen

Wraith
6th September 2007, 04:08 PM
You can replace the original stereo with an in-dash LCD screen, you need to purchase and aftermarket centre console panel from O/S and away you go - that's the easy part, the hard part is getting through the canbus issues...

Refer to the ICE section, there's lots of people there playing with these kinds of mods on the AH Astras :)

USC
7th September 2007, 11:38 AM
If I am correct, I have been members of other astra forums in the UK buy original trim from Vauxhall to replace their head unit with normal size aftermarket one. It is even painted in silver for ya!

i wouldnt remove the centre display....its got trip computer, air con settings and all sorts of stuff displayed there.

Petey
16th September 2007, 07:53 PM
If you have the time & inclination, almost anything can be done.

Check out the following "How to" links:

http://www.ffoeg.com/AS/HT/TFT.pdf

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96753

These are for a UK Astra website...

Red AH SRI T
16th September 2007, 09:48 PM
The stereo is not built into the dash, its a double DIN unit which can be removed.