PDA

View Full Version : windscreen - AH 3 door

USC
3rd September 2007, 02:13 AM
hEY guys, does anyone know how hard it is to change the windscreen of an AH astra 3 dr?I assume it s the same as the 5 door hatch?

How do I get the wiper arms off? i cant see any bolts?? there s a strange cap that impossible to remove...

do i even need to get wiper arms off?

im attempting this myself...got a chip on the windscreen:mad: if too hard, i might get holden to do it. how much are they for genuine ones?

cheers!

bornwild
3rd September 2007, 08:16 AM
I think you'd be looking at a 4 figure cost.

xplosv57
3rd September 2007, 08:26 AM
Nah i doubt it'd be in 4 figures!!!

Trying to think what cap it is that is on the end of the wipers, must be some sort of clip or cap, try to flick it up with a screwdriver!!

By the way, do you have any experience doing windscreens?? They're not exactly easy to replace without the necessary tools!!!

Also how bad is the chip, might be repairable which will save you alot of hassles!!!

bornwild
3rd September 2007, 08:29 AM
For holden to do it....definitely a 4 figure sum. The windscreen is what....$500-$700 plus labour....mhm

Like xplosv said, better off trying to repair it....there's all sorts of kits available at autobarn and the likes.

Apex
3rd September 2007, 08:58 AM
I would get it repaired if possible mate, as long as the chip is not in your direct line of vision and there is no crack reaching the edge of the screen you should have no problem next time you go for a warrant of fitness.

I hade my windscreen replaced through Lexus on my last car and the bill came to $2400!

DirtyHarry
3rd September 2007, 09:30 AM
im not sure how the AH windscreen is like, however with my astra g, if you take it off, apparently you have to replace the bottom rubber, which if its genuine costs an arm and a leg, however after market ones are heaps cheaper.

skulless
3rd September 2007, 10:54 AM
cant we replace the windscreen thru o'brien or something? i tot it's way cheaper that way

USC
3rd September 2007, 11:06 AM
im not sure how the AH windscreen is like, however with my astra g, if you take it off, apparently you have to replace the bottom rubber, which if its genuine costs an arm and a leg, however after market ones are heaps cheaper.

hmmm..enquired at holden today and the windscreen costs about $550 with the rubber that sits around it as well. not sure what bottom rubber u r talking about. but i think ill get orbien or something to do it. I think lexus was about $2400 because it prob had rain sensors etc...

Ive had chips repaired b4 on my other car but u can still see it and the resin comes out after a while....

low astra
3rd September 2007, 06:34 PM
hmmm..enquired at holden today and the windscreen costs about $550 with the rubber that sits around it as well. not sure what bottom rubber u r talking about. but i think ill get orbien or something to do it. I think lexus was about $2400 because it prob had rain sensors etc...

Ive had chips repaired b4 on my other car but u can still see it and the resin comes out after a while....

call a local smaller windscreen guy, obrien is expensive, they do the same job, they are everybit as good ive found, just dont have the overheads of a massive company, i got the windscreen for my ute for 200 bucks, installed, obrien quoted me 480

USC
3rd September 2007, 10:28 PM
call a local smaller windscreen guy, obrien is expensive, they do the same job, they are everybit as good ive found, just dont have the overheads of a massive company, i got the windscreen for my ute for 200 bucks, installed, obrien quoted me 480

was that for genuine glass mate? $200 sounds good! I know the aftermarket ones are cheaper.

Holden also told me that my astra sri is the one b4 the newest model, therefore, it has the expensive windscreen. apparently, the latest model astra has a much cheaper windscreen:confused: about half the price of mine for a genuine one!! anyone can explain this??

RudeOne
4th September 2007, 09:54 AM
was that for genuine glass mate? $200 sounds good! I know the aftermarket ones are cheaper.

Holden also told me that my astra sri is the one b4 the newest model, therefore, it has the expensive windscreen. apparently, the latest model astra has a much cheaper windscreen:confused: about half the price of mine for a genuine one!! anyone can explain this??

Im not sure if im imaging but you seem to break lots of things on your car???

BTW novus is very cheap for windscreens! good service and same warranty as obrien

USC
4th September 2007, 12:31 PM
Im not sure if im imaging but you seem to break lots of things on your car???

BTW novus is very cheap for windscreens! good service and same warranty as obrien

havent been very lucky so far with it....someone smashed my rear glass and now my windscreen got a chip!! damn it!!

??what else did u think broke????

reedaaron
4th September 2007, 01:55 PM
i'd just get it repaired.. shitloads cheaper and not that noticeable.. i haven't had any issues since i got my chip repaired.. i suppose it depends on how bad it is though..

USC
4th September 2007, 03:36 PM
i'd just get it repaired.. shitloads cheaper and not that noticeable.. i haven't had any issues since i got my chip repaired.. i suppose it depends on how bad it is though..

hmm.true, might do that until it cracks...Ive noticed the rubber around it is already starting to perish as well....bloody astra...they must use shit rubber I reckon...

what do u think of national windscreens..r they any good?i heard they are a bit better than novus....

digifish
5th September 2007, 10:17 AM
what do u think of national windscreens..r they any good?i heard they are a bit better than novus....

Any franchise/business is only as good as the technican that does the job.

digifish

bornwild
5th September 2007, 01:12 PM
I copped a chip yesterday.....mother****ing trucks.

reedaaron
5th September 2007, 01:20 PM
if you call around a few places you should be able to get it repaired for a reasonable price... i got quotes from $35 up to about $100 for a chip repair last time... $35 required me driving 30mins to the other side of town.. so that wasn't an option.. got it done locally for $50..

USC
5th September 2007, 02:55 PM
if you call around a few places you should be able to get it repaired for a reasonable price... i got quotes from $35 up to about $100 for a chip repair last time... $35 required me driving 30mins to the other side of town.. so that wasn't an option.. got it done locally for $50..

cool! how does it look now? can u still see it? does ur wiper blade catch it when it rains??

reedaaron
5th September 2007, 04:01 PM
can still see 2 tiny chips where it was... but only if you know where to look... and no catching with the blades... got flatblades..they're awesome :p