PDA

View Full Version : CDTi and Oran Park

mintaka
31st August 2007, 09:19 PM
G'day All,

I've just had 2 days learning how to drive around Oran Park - Quickly!

What a blast! I was able to unleash the CDTi as much as my skill and bullocks would allow. And I'm pleased to say that both increased markedly during the 2 days, thanks to the instructors.

I was amazed by what a modern car can do. I never thought it could brake that hard or corner that hard. Every time I pushed it and I thought I would find the limit, it just keep responding.

Comments from the instructors were most interesting.
"It has great brakes, it stops real hard, use them!"
"It handles very well."
"It's a great little car. Hard to believe it's a diesel"

But the best comment was from a gent who had a race spec WRX with him during the course "Your really hammered that Astra. You were getting 160 kmh down the straight!"

Now this is the Oran Park short circuit, not the full track that the V8's run on. (Basically, you don't go under or over the bridge). So 160 down the short straight is very good for a road car, or so I'm told be the instructors.

So, in short, the CDTi (and myself, eventually) aquited itself rather well and impressed a few petrol heads. Do I think they would swap their WRX's, Evo's and SS utes for a diesel on the track? No, they were clearly very much faster. But they no longer think diesels are slow.

It was great fun. If you have done it, you will understand. If not, there is no better way of fully exploring your cars capabilities.

Mintaka

Alix
31st August 2007, 09:53 PM
G'day All,

I've just had 2 days learning how to drive around Oran Park - Quickly!

Sounds fantastic. Got any info on the course - who/times/cost etc? Might have to put something like this on my Chrissy Wish List.

mintaka
31st August 2007, 10:00 PM
Alix,

Can't tell you exactly how much it cost, it was a present from the father-in-law.

As for the rest, I'll PM you the details.

Cheers.

Mintaka

Alix
31st August 2007, 10:22 PM
Got it - thanks for that.

bornwild
31st August 2007, 10:37 PM
Green Box?

mintaka
1st September 2007, 09:33 PM
Green Box?

No, mate, she is stock standard. And after this, I think she has all the power I will ever really need (at least in a car that size).

Mintaka

bornwild
1st September 2007, 10:14 PM
Good work mate. Imagine how she'd go with the greeny :D

dieselhead
1st September 2007, 10:37 PM
I'd love to run a few rounds in mine at Oran Park, but heck, it's too far from Adelaide... I might try my luck at Mallala though.
Grippy 18" and a green box-should be a lot of fun to let it loose on the track :)

bornwild
1st September 2007, 11:59 PM
And a lot of money on the 18" tyres :D

MatsHolden
2nd September 2007, 01:10 PM
And a lot of money on the 18" tyres :D

It's only money.

xplosv57
3rd September 2007, 10:50 AM
I wanna go to Oran Park, but only for the Skidpan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mintaka
3rd September 2007, 02:22 PM
I wanna go to Oran Park, but only for the Skidpan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

During the course you walk the track and have each corner explained to you. Then one of the instructors takes one of the cars through the corner to show you what to do. So we were all standing there, waiting for the instructor to lap around. We could see the drifters working on a different part of the curcuit. Well, one of the driffters didn't put his bonnet holding pins in. WHACK, the bonnet flies up and hits his windscreen. We didn't laugh, much! :p:D:clap:

Mintaka

Corsa
3rd September 2007, 09:39 PM
So 160 down the short straight is very good for a road car, or so I'm told be the instructors.

So, in short, the CDTi (and myself, eventually) aquited itself rather well and impressed a few petrol heads. Do I think they would swap their WRX's, Evo's and SS utes for a diesel on the track? No, they were clearly very much faster. But they no longer think diesels are slow.
Mintaka

I guess they wouldn't swap there cars for the other diesels that have been hitting 160kmh down the straight for many years and actually lap quicker than a lot of the performance road cars whilst being speed limited to 160kmh.
Corsa

kaoshunter
3rd September 2007, 09:49 PM
I guess they wouldn't swap there cars for the other diesels that have been hitting 160kmh down the straight for many years and actually lap quicker than a lot of the performance road cars whilst being speed limited to 160kmh.
Corsa

They aren't speed limited to 160

shoey85
3rd September 2007, 10:00 PM

well ive had mine at 180 on a private rd :P

kaoshunter
3rd September 2007, 10:17 PM
yeah I have the crd2 in mine and I got to 180 + still had more so they definately aren't limited

mintaka
5th September 2007, 02:23 PM
yeah I have the crd2 in mine and I got to 180 + still had more so they definately aren't limited

Gents,

I know that the stock car will do over 220 kph. The only limit that the Germans put on their cars is a voluntary 250 kph and that's only for stock cars. If you have a car in Germany that will do more that 250 kph, the first thing most Germans do is go to the closest performance shop and have the limiter removed / software changed.

Mintake.

bornwild
5th September 2007, 02:46 PM
.... go to the closest performance shop and have the limiter removed / software changed.

Mintake.

Every Carmaker in Germany offers uncapping the speed limit as an option....costs around 300 euros I think.

rjastra
5th September 2007, 04:00 PM
Gents,

I know that the stock car will do over 220 kph. The only limit that the Germans put on their cars is a voluntary 250 kph and that's only for stock cars. If you have a car in Germany that will do more that 250 kph, the first thing most Germans do is go to the closest performance shop and have the limiter removed / software changed.

Mintake.

Stock CDTi manual has a topspeed of around 210 km/h according to the spec sheets.

dieselhead
5th September 2007, 08:04 PM
That's right rjastra. The engine will cut out at 4,200 rpm in 6th, so there's no way it will do much over 210 km/h stock...
There is one particular AH CDTi wagon in UK that reached 255 km/h on autobahn in Germany. Don't take my word for it, ask Andrew888. Anyway, that oiler wagon is anything but stock :)

digifish
5th September 2007, 09:00 PM
...hey I was just noticing that we can also say that the CDTi has the same Torque as the WRX too :)

digifish

shoey85
5th September 2007, 09:04 PM
...hey I was just noticing that we can also say that the CDTi has the same Torque as the WRX too :)

digifish

stock it has the same as the vectra 3.2 v6

digifish
5th September 2007, 09:34 PM
stock it has the same as the vectra 3.2 v6

Yeah, but WRX sounds more impressive :)

mintaka
6th September 2007, 02:07 PM
Every Carmaker in Germany offers uncapping the speed limit as an option....costs around 300 euros I think.

Really? I'm a bit out of date then. I thought the main car makers were staying away from that.

Guess they got sick of being undercut by the small shops.

:D

Mintaka

mintaka
6th September 2007, 02:11 PM
That's right rjastra. The engine will cut out at 4,200 rpm in 6th, so there's no way it will do much over 210 km/h stock...
There is one particular AH CDTi wagon in UK that reached 255 km/h on autobahn in Germany. Don't take my word for it, ask Andrew888. Anyway, that oiler wagon is anything but stock :)

Mmmm,

Cut out at 4,200 rpm in 6th? Maybe they made a mistake in the factory one day....

:whistle:

:dance:

bornwild
7th September 2007, 11:49 AM
Well it is a diesel so I think it redlines at 4800-5000rpm, yeah?

dieselhead
7th September 2007, 02:31 PM
it does red line at 5,000 rpm alright. thing is, try to reach 5,000 rpm in sixth, see how you go. on a private road, obviously ;)

Corsa
18th September 2007, 02:10 PM

Maybe you and others didn't read my post when i mentioned "other diesels that have been hitting 160kmh down the straight for many years". The "other diesels" and "for many years" would be two phrases that eliminate Astra Turbodiesels as the thread was about an Astra Turbo and they are fairly new to Aust.
The diesel vehicles i was referring to would flog a standard road WRX or EVO around the track without their 160km/h speed limiters and probably still do it confortably with the limiters in place.
http://www.nmd.com.au/images/newsimages/articleimages/S-Zammit1.jpg
Corsa

digifish
18th September 2007, 02:14 PM
Corsa

Photoshop alert! Where's the soot? :)

kaoshunter
18th September 2007, 07:42 PM
Maybe you and others didn't read my post when i mentioned "other diesels that have been hitting 160kmh down the straight for many years". The "other diesels" and "for many years" would be two phrases that eliminate Astra Turbodiesels as the thread was about an Astra Turbo and they are fairly new to Aust.
The diesel vehicles i was referring to would flog a standard road WRX or EVO around the track without their 160km/h speed limiters and probably still do it confortably with the limiters in place.
Corsa

I would reread the title of the thread b4 you comment, Its about a cdti at oran park not an sri-t at oran park

Corsa
19th September 2007, 10:43 PM
I would reread the title of the thread b4 you comment, Its about a cdti at oran park not an sri-t at oran park

That's quite funny considering i only ever referred to or commented on the turbo Diesel verison of the astra and at no point did i ever mention an SRi-Turbo.
I guess your comments this time are just as relevent as the one about no speed limiters on the Turbo diesel race trucks i was referring to that had Oran Park as their home race track for NSW.
Corsa

Skribble
20th September 2007, 08:04 AM
Anyone want to let me know what a green box is?

I would love to do this whole oran park thing... would be sick.

bornwild
20th September 2007, 08:24 AM
A green box is a tuning chip for the CDTi. Pretty wicked too

Skribble
20th September 2007, 08:38 AM
Is there something similar for normal astra's or is it just like remapping the ECU... but for deisels.

bornwild
20th September 2007, 06:15 PM
Is there something similar for normal astra's or is it just like remapping the ECU... but for deisels.

Someone around here on the forum does it....forgot who, though. But nothing that gives you an increase in performance as the green box.

Green box pushes the CDTi from 110kw/320Nm to 150kw/400Nm. :D