PDA

View Full Version : HID Kit. Recommendation?

Huhness
30th August 2007, 08:25 AM
Can anyone recommend a good HID kit for the astra?

Was going to buy Astra Turbo wheels from Ebay but now that the seller is a sus ****.. :mad: i think i'll pass..

is $400 a good budget? i don't want a cheap chinese kit because i know the quality of cheap chinese lights..

Whats a good brand and place to buy from? :confused:

btm
30th August 2007, 08:48 AM
are you putting them in your angel eyes?

Huhness
30th August 2007, 08:49 AM
Yea when i get them :( Probably another week or 2 before they arrive..

Wraith
30th August 2007, 08:51 AM
Can anyone recommend a good HID kit for the astra?

Was going to buy Astra Turbo wheels from Ebay but now that the seller is a sus ****.. :mad: i think i'll pass..

is $400 a good budget? i don't want a cheap chinese kit because i know the quality of cheap chinese lights..

Whats a good brand and place to buy from? :confused:

I'll dig up all the info on mine which I've installed in both my Cali and Astra and send you some info.

Hope you didn't loose any money with that sus ebay seller, I did with that prick that came on board here selling dump pipes back in March :mad:

ope126
30th August 2007, 08:53 AM
I had a Bosch HID Kit in my old SRi Barina. Well under $400 from eBay.
Made in Germany! :D

Huhness
30th August 2007, 08:59 AM
I'll dig up all the info on mine which I've installed in both my Cali and Astra and send you some info.

Hope you didn't loose any money with that sus ebay seller, I did with that prick that came on board here selling dump pipes back in March :mad:

Thanks for that! can you take a photo of where you mounted your ballasts also? did you just zip tie them?

Shame the internet is full of criminals.. The guy selling the wheels keeps bidding with another account of his and retractiong the bids so that the price goes to my limit.. I've reported him to ebay and they said it is sus and have fowarded it on to the next level of investigation..

3 times there have been retracted bids.. Reason given is "Wrong amount entered" except they are reasonable amounts.. $515, $525 and $600.. right outside my bidding amount.. and the bidders are annonymous.. and he won't answer my question about the wheels condition he just keeps mentioning the tyres.. I'm not that desperate anyway..

Thanks again!

Wraith
30th August 2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks for that! can you take a photo of where you mounted your ballasts also? did you just zip tie them?

Shame the internet is full of criminals.. The guy selling the wheels keeps bidding with another account of his and retractiong the bids so that the price goes to my limit.. I've reported him to ebay and they said it is sus and have fowarded it on to the next level of investigation..

3 times there have been retracted bids.. Reason given is "Wrong amount entered" except they are reasonable amounts.. $515, $525 and $600.. right outside my bidding amount.. and the bidders are annonymous.. and he won't answer my question about the wheels condition he just keeps mentioning the tyres.. I'm not that desperate anyway..

Thanks again!

No worries, I'll send you some pics too :)

I my Astra the ballasts/coil packs are just sitting tight, with no restraints necessary as I've found a pocket of space where they just fit in snug.

In my Calibra I've tied em down.

And yes it's a pity these thugs are out there, at least in your case, you havn't lost any money and ebay will get onto this guy !

In my case, no one can chase him up, (he's in the U.K) not even Admin on the forum where he lives and is most active have done anything about it :mad:

Huhness
30th August 2007, 10:26 AM
I had a Bosch HID Kit in my old SRi Barina. Well under $400 from eBay.
Made in Germany! :D
I saw these what was the qaulity like? any problems?

bornwild
30th August 2007, 11:18 AM
I saw these what was the qaulity like? any problems?

You're asking about quality?.....Made in Germany ffs.....:D:D

Huhness
30th August 2007, 11:25 AM
You're asking about quality?.....Made in Germany ffs.....:D:D

I guess your right! :p

Lucky_Astra06
30th August 2007, 11:40 AM
These are what i put in my astra few months ago...

http://www.autojoy.com.au/product/lighting/ln_h_hid.htm

skulless
30th August 2007, 03:22 PM
for the astra ah, the bulbs are H4 and H7 rite? does that mean you need to get both HID kit or either 1 will do.

Huhness
30th August 2007, 03:29 PM
for the astra ah, the bulbs are H4 and H7 rite? does that mean you need to get both HID kit or either 1 will do.
I'm only getting H7 for the main beams.. not going to bother about high beam or foglights..

skulless
30th August 2007, 04:18 PM
so when you put on the high beams, you would have the yellow and white lights then. this is what i'm having in my car now, i replaced the bulbs but the front fog light is still yellow. but i've changed both my high and low, cost me 99 pr

bill142
30th August 2007, 08:10 PM
These are what i put in my astra few months ago...

http://www.autojoy.com.au/product/lighting/ln_h_hid.htm

did you have any canbus issues?

cyclonic
30th August 2007, 09:15 PM
Dumb statement but.... be aware these kits are illegal as they don't meet ADR's and aren't OE. Its an immediate defect if you're pulled over.

I think its a bit dumb myself, but thats the ADR's for you.

JR
30th August 2007, 09:37 PM
Dumb statement but.... be aware these kits are illegal as they don't meet ADR's and aren't OE. Its an immediate defect if you're pulled over.

I think its a bit dumb myself, but thats the ADR's for you.

the ones i have are ADR compliant & even have the sticker on it.
the boys in blue can pull me over all they want.

Huhness
31st August 2007, 07:47 AM

Well c'mon lets us know what you have then? :p

Lucky_Astra06
31st August 2007, 04:15 PM
did you have any canbus issues?

No probs at all, worked from day 1...

Dregger
31st August 2007, 10:59 PM
Hey i'm interested in a kit aswell, globes just blew on my car and thought seeing as though i would be spending $50 for new Halo's i might look into HID kits.

If you could post all the info here that woudl be great. ie pics price and location.

i saw the following but i'm not sure of the quality. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170143228330

dug74
1st September 2007, 02:45 AM

Maybe complaint...but still illegal as they dont meet ADR rules...as they dont have auto levelling and headlight washers.

Anyways....i know a contact in Brisbane who has supplied most mazdas with HID kits and i have bought a kit for my foggies.

http://www.sparksecret.com/ (http://www.sparksecret.com/)

email: [email protected] ([email protected])

Tell him DUG74 sent you from OMC <ozmazdaclub> to get a better price.

Also try http://www.gthid.com/gthid.html i can provide you with some contacts here in Australia.

Cheers
DUG74

JR
1st September 2007, 10:57 AM
Maybe complaint...but still illegal as they dont meet ADR rules...as they dont have auto levelling and headlight washers.

true....i guess they can defect me cause i don't have headlight washers.

as for auto leveling - that's wat the headlight level switch is for on the dashboard (0,1,2,...) - only difference is i do it manually based on the number of passengers. with "auto", it sets the level by itself.

the cheaper angel eyes do not have the headlight leveling feature.

RobCDX
3rd September 2007, 07:17 PM
i've got a HID kit in my ts... cost me $550 at the time (late 2005) i havent had any probs with the police (touch wood) even at the RBT's they don't pay attention to the lights.

i've got the transformer/grey box attached to the front bar. i've got them in the 6500k, so its bluish at the headlight but the light on the road is bright white with a tinge of blue

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee230/RobCDX/P7160018.jpg

low astra
3rd September 2007, 08:59 PM
i dont mean to crash the thread,

but those of you who have retro fitted hid to there cars, did you find the light you got any better to drive with i.e. stronger light, further vision, or just a different colour light? are there any pros and cons,

im not talking about standard hid lights as they have been devolped to suit the use of hid globes, just trying to work out if the 500+ price tag is worth looking at on my next car

thanks Rob

kz_11
3rd September 2007, 09:42 PM
i dont mean to crash the thread,

but those of you who have retro fitted hid to there cars, did you find the light you got any better to drive with i.e. stronger light, further vision, or just a different colour light? are there any pros and cons,

im not talking about standard hid lights as they have been devolped to suit the use of hid globes, just trying to work out if the 500+ price tag is worth looking at on my next car

thanks Rob

wellz...I can't think of any disadvantage if it is fitted properly of coz. It def. enchance the vision when I sat in my friends' cars with HID on. However, my H doesnt fit any+_+

RobCDX
5th September 2007, 07:02 AM
well the pros' that i saw immediately include:
* brighter light on the road
* things are highlighted much better
* street signs can be seen at a greater distance compared to the stock halogen lights
* improved street presence (hehe cant miss my car rolling up on you)

atm i dont have angel eyes so the light looks a little patchy compared to a car with factory fitted HID's( projectors make the difference), but the light output & brightness is comparable.

i had them installed simply because i do a lot of night driving and with the brighter light, it takes the strain off your eyes.