PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Astra Updates?

Rick76
28th August 2007, 07:29 PM
Hi guys,

My partner and I are looking at upgrading her 2003 Corolla to a new Astra Coupe soon (still deciding between CD & CDX - not sure if we really need the extras). Unfortunately it has to be an auto (for her) so we will probably just tint it, put on some nice aftermarket 18" wheels and maybe lower it little bit if it needs it.

The dealers are doing specials until the end of September so does this mean that the MY07.5 ends around then? Is there a MY08 coming soon and if so will be there any significant updates?

I just dont want to get caught out with the 'old model' if there is some known signinicant improvement due to the drivetrain on the CD/CDX auto models for MY08.

I have had a google but cant seem to find any info so I assume there will only be minimal changes.

rjastra
28th August 2007, 09:56 PM
See if you can stretch to the 2.2L Sri Coupe and not bother with any extras.

Rick76
28th August 2007, 11:28 PM
See if you can stretch to the 2.2L Sri Coupe and not bother with any extras.

That would be a lot nicer than the CD and the extra grunt would be great... but I think its going to be a bit over budget. After a nice set of 18" wheels on the poverty pack it should still come in at around $28-29K max. Originally it was just going to be a CD Hatch so we have already stretched a bit.

*CD Coupe Auto RRP $25,990+ (advertised $23,361+ at Phoenix Holden) about $26,500 on road in W.A. with metallic paint and 12 months rego.
*CDX Coupe Auto RRP $28,990+ (advertised $25,973+ at Phoenix Holden) about $29,300 on road in W.A. with metallic paint and 12 months rego.
*SRi Coupe Manual $27,950... auto not advertised - assuming special @ $29,950 ($2000 more than manual) = $33,000 or more on road.

I wish we could just get a manual but somebody cant drive one :boohoo:

imay
28th August 2007, 11:53 PM
I wish we could just get a manual but somebody cant drive one :boohoo:

I feel your pain! 2 Astras in our stable . . . both auto for that very reason. But then again, with the majority of travel being city driving, I do enjoy not having to worry too much about changing gears. Miss the chance of swapping cogs when we come across a nice bit of road that begs a bit of spirited driving though.

Red AH SRI T
29th August 2007, 07:50 AM
The AH7.5 was the major update. AH8 im guessing will only be a minor reshuffle of clours and maybe some trims. Should start ariving very late this year

cbrmale
29th August 2007, 08:17 AM
SRi 2.2 automatic is $32,000 plus on road costs, but nobody pays recommended retail. The SRi comes with aggressive-looking 17" wheels and 235/45 Continental Conti 2 tyres, which is a very effective wheel / tyre combination. Compared to the CDx you get leather seats, lowered and stiffened suspension, more powerful brakes, traction control, esp and a body kit.

The 2.2 engine is superb: smooth and amazingly torquey. The bucketloads of torque is brilliant with an automatic gearbox.

I've got an SRi 2.2 automatic hatch, and I got about a $4500 discount, which made it quite reasonable.

Red AH SRI T
31st October 2007, 07:47 AM
The AH8's have just started to arrive.

The revisions are:

Deletion of Ultra Blue
Introduction of Metro across the range (Except SRi)
New Cup holder behind the hand brake from the Saturn Astra

USC
31st October 2007, 10:53 AM
why dont you get a brand new corolla? The AH has been around for ages now...

MatsHolden
31st October 2007, 10:58 AM
why dont you get a brand new corolla? The AH has been around for ages now...

The looks of the Astra alone are enough reason to buy the Astra over the Corolla. Corolla's not bad looking, just boring.

bornwild
31st October 2007, 11:12 AM
Plus, this 'all-new' corrolla is just a facelift.....

btm
31st October 2007, 11:23 AM
i personally don't like the shape of the corolla at all

Apex
31st October 2007, 11:45 AM
Plus, this 'all-new' corrolla is just a facelift.....

Its a all new car.

USC
31st October 2007, 12:01 PM
yep, a whole new car with a new engine too!

astra looks good but toyota = resale value and build quality...

btm
31st October 2007, 12:09 PM
toyota = resale value and build quality...

toyota have been having a shocker recently with build quality... how many cars have they recalled back in the last few weeks?? its millions worldwide isn't it?

Ishley
31st October 2007, 12:18 PM
I got my AH SRi Turbo in December last year. I got a $5000 discount basically because it was almos the end of the year, and they want to get rid of all their 06 stock to start 2007 with minimal 2006 plate vechiles.

So if you can wait until early/mid December you could save enough to get the 2.2 SRi within your budget. Also if you are good at swindeling a deal. You could also work in a set of the 18's that come on the SRi turbo for free or cheaper then an aftermarket set of 18's. . .

oneightoo
31st October 2007, 12:20 PM
toyota have been having a shocker recently with build quality... how many cars have they recalled back in the last few weeks?? its millions worldwide isn't it?

i think it's trillions actually..

Rick76
31st October 2007, 07:44 PM
We already picked up a new Astra mid-September..... I don't like the styling much on the Corolla (or almost any other Toyota for that matter) and the interior really turned me off. That dash/console is weird.

CD Auto Coupe (Pannacotta)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/OzRick76/AstraWheels.jpg

USC
31st October 2007, 10:10 PM
u need to colour code your door handles, put a body kit and add a roof spoiler:D

bornwild
31st October 2007, 10:30 PM
Its a all new car.

Just like the new Ford Orion is an all new Falcon...lol;)

MatsHolden
31st October 2007, 10:35 PM
We already picked up a new Astra mid-September..... I don't like the styling much on the Corolla (or almost any other Toyota for that matter) and the interior really turned me off. That dash/console is weird.

CD Auto Coupe (Pannacotta)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/OzRick76/AstraWheels.jpg

I like what I see in the garage better! lol

bornwild
31st October 2007, 10:36 PM
You need to lower that thing bad...:)

cyclonic
1st November 2007, 01:36 AM
I think that looks really nice! Esanda just offered me $26k for a new car so i'm thinking of going up to an Astra Coupe myself. I should get $5-$7k for the Barina do that potentially gives me $30k minus on-roads. SRi would be nice...

USC
1st November 2007, 09:55 AM
I think that looks really nice! Esanda just offered me $26k for a new car so i'm thinking of going up to an Astra Coupe myself. I should get $5-$7k for the Barina do that potentially gives me $30k minus on-roads. SRi would be nice...

before you guys get the coupe, make sure you test drive it and are 100% happy with rear view. and room in the back....just in case you have a family...

btm
1st November 2007, 11:21 AM

as do i mat... as do i ;)

USC
1st November 2007, 11:34 AM

thats why they are in the garage....:D

oneightoo
1st November 2007, 12:12 PM

storage shelves?

you need to go to bunnings..

thats why they are in the garage....:D

exactly

:D

Red AH SRI T
1st November 2007, 06:01 PM
before you guys get the coupe, make sure you test drive it and are 100% happy with rear view. and room in the back....just in case you have a family...

And if you're not happy with the rear view learn to use your wing mirrors. They aren't just there for looks.

USC
2nd November 2007, 09:52 AM
And if you're not happy with the rear view learn to use your wing mirrors. They aren't just there for looks.

mate, i dont have a prob with it but most people ive spoken to do..so i think u shld write an article in the age teaching others how to use their side mirrors.

Red AH SRI T
2nd November 2007, 09:56 AM
ROFL that would be hilarious!!!!

Btw, my post wasn't directed at you, it was more a generalisation. So many ppl have no idea to how to use their mirrors. The amount of times i get in someones car and the mirrors are adjusted so that you see the whole side of the car and just a thin slither of road is just amazing!

Apex
2nd November 2007, 10:03 AM
I found the rear vision quite poor at first but soon got used to it, neither my Fiancé nor I have hit anything yet…touch wood

Passengers have been impressed on how much room there is in the back for a coupe, funniest part is watching them try to figure out the front seat fold and slide mechanics :D

oneightoo
2nd November 2007, 10:25 AM
ROFL that would be hilarious!!!!

Btw, my post wasn't directed at you, it was more a generalisation. So many ppl have no idea to how to use their mirrors. The amount of times i get in someones car and the mirrors are adjusted so that you see the whole side of the car and just a thin slither of road is just amazing!

i only ever use my passenger side mirror, never the drivers side.. no need for it.. the passenger side is directed straight down to the rear wheel, makes kerb parking an absolute sinch..

Apex
2nd November 2007, 10:33 AM
i only ever use my passenger side mirror, never the drivers side.. no need for it.. the passenger side is directed straight down to the rear wheel, makes kerb parking an absolute sinch..

My old BMW did this automatically!

btm
2nd November 2007, 10:41 AM
there are quite a few cars that automatically put the mirror down when reverse is engaged - cool feature

just like water sensing wipers