PDA

View Full Version : snow trip meet sydney/act

auzvectra
23rd August 2007, 04:18 PM
as discussed in the snow trip thread http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13089.
we are heading thru syndey on sat the 8th september, just wondering if we will be meeting up with ne1 in sydney, and canberra.
i know insubourdinate, and jr were wanting to meet up in canberra, but not sure about sydney.
we will most likely crash for the nite in sydney, so does ne1 know a spot on route, just a motel ect...
and when n were a good meeting point would be.
we can time our arrival a lil, but would most likely be late afternoon to early nite.

btm
23rd August 2007, 04:27 PM
its APEC weekend so stay clear of the city... it'll be a nightmare!

auzvectra
23rd August 2007, 06:57 PM
ok, that sucks, well we can meet up in sydney then, n pass thru to canberra, maybe find a motel there with a 24hr check in.
i dont know the area that well, so i need some locals input and ideas ;).

auzvectra
23rd August 2007, 06:58 PM
although we dont really go near the city neway, so might be alright. more liverpool and parramatta sort of area.

vectraguy01
23rd August 2007, 07:10 PM
well when i was coming back up from tas last yr, we found a motel at liverpool, pretty nicely priced as well, just off i think it was the m4 or m5, cant remember now though.

vectraguy01
23rd August 2007, 07:12 PM
or we could head n stop in act n stay there the nite, up to u auz.

Alix
23rd August 2007, 07:52 PM
ok, that sucks, well we can meet up in sydney then, n pass thru to canberra, maybe find a motel there with a 24hr check in.
i dont know the area that well, so i need some locals input and ideas ;).

If "Minimum deviation from route" is the go then your best bet is to actually bypass Canberra City centre and take Majura Road through past the airport and head straight on down the Monaro highway.

The nearest hotel to that is the Heritage: http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hotel=321&page=1&viewType=weekends - and they do have a 24 front desk. I've had a few conferences there and it's nothing flash, but it isn't a dive either. A bit of a hike to the city centre (by Canberra standards) - maybe 10 minutes by car? There's not a lot to "do" around the area where the hotel is.

If you want "Maximum people per dollar" and you don't mind sharing then you're better off finding an apartment. This might prove a little bit tricky as Parliament starts sitting the Monday after the weekend you;re coming through, so you might find a lot of pollies and their staff have taken most of them up. A bit closer to the city (and still no stretch off the Monaro) is Pinnacles Apartments - http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hotel=345&page=1&viewType=weekends

There's a lot more nightlife around that area too. Not so sure about 24hr check in though. Still not in the city, but would only be 5 minutes in a car.

There are more apartments near the Pinnacles, but they are the only ones I have personal experience with.

auzvectra
23rd August 2007, 08:31 PM
it really just depends on if we are meeting any1 in sydney or not.
another thought, if we went strait thru on the way, and stopped in sydney on the way back, would suit the time schedule better, and that way we wouldnt need to find a motel anywhere.

Alix
23rd August 2007, 09:05 PM
it really just depends on if we are meeting any1 in sydney or not.
another thought, if we went strait thru on the way, and stopped in sydney on the way back, would suit the time schedule better, and that way we wouldnt need to find a motel anywhere.

It's been a while since I did a snow trip from here (Canberra), but I drove Canberra -> Cooma last weekend, and it was only an hour, if that. The snow is about that again from memory.

Sydney -> Canberra is about 2.5 hours from when you leave Sydney.

Transit time across Sydney on the old Cumberland Highway (Route 7) used to be at least an hour, worse if it was busy (which was most of the time). I have no idea what it is on the new M7 as I haven't done the whole way through, but it is significantly faster - I did Liverpool through to Chatswood in about an hour earlier this year at around 9-10am on a weekday, using the M7 and M2, and that's further. The Sydney guys should be able to give you a better idea.

Staying in Canberra gives you an easy run down to the snow the next day, and you won't be so saddle-sore, and you should still have the energy to do something when you get there. Straight through from Sydney will get you there, but you might be suffering a bit from numb-bum or travel weariness when you arrive.

auzvectra
24th August 2007, 09:47 AM
yeah, i've done the trip a few times, always strait thru, but with the possibility of meeting a few members in sydney, am prepared to change the schedule to suit.
normally we would leave up here about 9-10pm sat nite, and get in sydney very early sunday morning, and end up at the snow around lunch sunday, which is why i was thinkin of meeting sydney peeps on the way back, as we normally leave about lunch - early arvo friday, and could meet up then instead. but would probably be best to meet canberra members on the way down, on sunday mid morning, we can always slow the trip down with an extra break here and there, or an hr snooze or sumthing, less nodoze that way :).

bill142
26th August 2007, 03:52 PM
What dates will you be in CBR?

auzvectra
26th August 2007, 05:41 PM
mid morning on the 9th september, and passing back thru mid afternoon on the following friday.

vectraguy01
26th August 2007, 09:06 PM
proberley best to drive straight thru way down and then meet ppl in syd on the way back up, then stay in syd for the nite, shouldnt be to bad i guess. Ive down a run down to tas early last yr, n did all the driving 11hr days so yer plus cruise works well in da veccy

JR
27th August 2007, 12:05 AM
dang-na-mit!!! i'm gonna b up north in port stephens getting trashed dat weekend!!! :D
otherwise i would've come meet up with u lot on ur canberra stop over.

awesome snow this year - u should've have a blast up on the mountains.

btm
27th August 2007, 09:45 AM
stay in the shire on your way back :D

vectraguy01
27th August 2007, 05:56 PM
where da Shine lol (like wheredafreak)

auzvectra
5th September 2007, 09:28 PM
ok, so it's almost upon us, we leave sat nite about 8-10pm, will get to sydney bout 5-7 sun morning, and onto canberra from there.

vectraguy01
6th September 2007, 06:56 AM
sounds awesome, cant wait

Shaun
6th September 2007, 12:24 PM
Are you guys meeting up in Sydney with anyone ?

auzvectra
6th September 2007, 04:52 PM
ok, we will be headiung back thru sydney the following friday in the late afternoon, so if any1 wants to meet up, then pick somewhere near out route and we will ;).
i'm sure we will be too early this sunday morning to meet up with any1 :).