PDA

View Full Version : Decent tyres??

lampshade
20th August 2007, 10:41 PM
Anyone got any suggestions for a new set of boots 4 the car, got a new set of wheels coming in the next week or so.
Looking for more of a softer compound but not so soft that they need replacing in a matter of weeks:o

Vectracious
21st August 2007, 12:35 AM
How much do you want to spend??

Cheap but good -> Maxxis Victra MA-Z1's
Expensive and good -> Bridgestone Potenza's, Goodyear F1's GS-D3's. Have also heard good things about the Yokohama S-Drives...

Calibrated
21st August 2007, 01:43 AM
Anyone got any suggestions for a new set of boots 4 the car, got a new set of wheels coming in the next week or so.
Looking for more of a softer compound but not so soft that they need replacing in a matter of weeks:o
Marangoni Zeta Linea
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

cyclonic
21st August 2007, 03:21 AM

Expensive and good -> Bridgestone Potenza's, Goodyear F1's GS-D3's. Have also heard good things about the Yokohama S-Drives...

I've got the Goodyears on my Barina. Awesome wet weather tyre and a great all-rounder. Depending on size, they aren't too pricey either.

Vampire
21st August 2007, 06:48 AM
Got the Toyo's on my SRi

Bill_G
21st August 2007, 08:39 AM
I have Goodyear F1s on my Vectra while my wife has Maxxis V1s on hers, and although the wet weather performance with both is extremely good, the Maxxis tyres break traction well before the Goodyears do. In the dry however, there's virtually no difference.

Is it worth paying almost twice as much for the Goodyears, which (on our Vectras) cost $300 as opposed to $160 for the Maxxis V1s? IMO, unless you spend most of your time driving on wet roads, I honestly don't believe it is.

OPC
21st August 2007, 10:53 AM
get some Nankangs hehehe just kidding

USC
21st August 2007, 11:09 AM
micheline all the way!

JohnBu
21st August 2007, 11:12 AM
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 on mine.. no complaints..

won a few awards.. I like the rim protector sidewall.

would also consider the Dunlop Sport Maxx,

then you have your usual suspects, Yokohamas, Michelin, Continentals, Bridgestone

end of the day, you can't go wrong with the top branded ones, all have its own strengths and weaknesses...

expect for Pirelli, which always have poor reviews of, even the P-Zero

I generally go for the best value (i.e. cheaper) of the top brand ones

what size rims? 18s or 19s?

Dave
21st August 2007, 09:37 PM
ill vouch for the dunlop lemans lm600's, great tyre, decent wet grip and very nice dry, not to pricey 140 per wheel, Only down side is there a soft compound and i chew through a set in around 30k

I had to go cheapo unfortunatly with my last pair of tyres and got a set of sava's ( made by good year ) aparently, and the bald set of dunlops on the back still have more grip ! GO FIGGURE. Also they seem to have next to no feedback so there alot harder to feel out, or to feel the road your driveing on even.

But as soon as i scrape up the dosh im given a set of good years a go, 160 per tyre, forget there name, but aparently there ment to be ok.

But then again if your ot pushign your car even the savas will do nicely for every day driveing, but i have a habbit of feeling my tyres out and cornering on there breaking point :angel: ( you know just before squeeling but one small blip of the accelerator away from slideing. )

Wraith
21st August 2007, 09:56 PM
Pirelli PZero's or Bridgestone SO3's...

Not cheap, but up there with the best !

J
22nd August 2007, 12:58 AM
Has anyone ever tried the Falken RT615? Here's a link:
http://www.falken.com.au/tyres/passenger-RT615.html

blueraven
23rd August 2007, 04:25 AM
i have also been doing heaps of tyre research lately and my decision will be one of these :
toyo t1r (heard many, many good things)
federal 595rs (or maybe ss..but prolly not good enough, the rs is possibly the best option, its an R comp, but a high wear one, expect about 15k-20k from them)
Hankook rs212(also heard many good things)
kumho ecsta ku31(heard good things...but price and spec suggest maybe not good enough)

either way i will be getting something very sticky..treadwear under 200 with minimum AA traction rating.

mini
23rd August 2007, 08:20 AM
got the federal 595 ss on mine, must admit quite impressed with them
good in the wet and dry. and not a bad price either

Metro1288
23rd August 2007, 11:22 AM
Just curious roughly how many klms my tyres would last with normal driving (conservative stick to the speed limit mix of city and highway) would last? I have a 2007 SRI-T, i think they are Dunlop Sport SP-01?

btm
23rd August 2007, 11:36 AM
kumho ecsta ku31(heard good things...but price and spec suggest maybe not good enough)

i just replaced my Pirelli P6000s with the Kumho's... so far so good, but only done a couple of hundred k's :)

rjastra
23rd August 2007, 01:10 PM
I need to replace some 205/45R16 tyres and was quoted $150 each for Goodyear F1 GSD3

There is a special deal going on them at the moment.

Don Cornell's Tyre Service (02) 9502 4666 Stoney Creek Rd (cnr Coveney St) Bexley 2207

The Michelin Preceda and Bridgsestone Adrenalin are $200.

Any of these tyres will be better than the Korean stuff.

The Toyos have squishy sidewalls and give vague responses.

JohnBu
24th August 2007, 09:32 AM
i just replaced my Pirelli P6000s with the Kumho's... so far so good, but only done a couple of hundred k's :)

the Pirelli P6000s are a poor tyre

btm
24th August 2007, 09:36 AM

i didnt think they were that bad... the fronts lasted me just over 40,000 k's and my car likes to corner fast :rolleyes:

blueraven
25th August 2007, 12:43 AM
if you get more than 20000ks out of your tyres they are not a proper sports tyre.

never heard the toyo's had soft sidewalls...quite the opposite actually. I have the proxes 4 at the moment and the sidewall flex isnt that bad...the t1r's may be different though.

vectraguy01
26th August 2007, 09:08 PM

I wouldnt go for the Maxxis Victra MA-Z1's ive had 2 accidents in them, they are good new, but once they get worn they are crap and are deadly.

lampshade
26th August 2007, 09:25 PM
Pretty sure I'm going with toyo's or Pilot Sport's

many thanks for the replys guys.

Oh and the new rims are 18"s

johno

EL BURITO
26th August 2007, 09:35 PM
so u are selling the 19's then

lampshade
26th August 2007, 10:09 PM
so u are selling the 19's then

Nah m8 there scratched to fvck:(

MatsHolden
26th August 2007, 11:31 PM

Yes they are. Expensive and poor.

Anyone mentioned Falken?

J
27th August 2007, 12:02 AM
Yes they are. Expensive and poor.

Anyone mentioned Falken?

I did. But no one appeared to have tried the RT615 :)

Vectracious
27th August 2007, 07:24 AM
I wouldnt go for the Maxxis Victra MA-Z1's ive had 2 accidents in them, they are good new, but once they get worn they are crap and are deadly.

How long before they turn crap and deadly then?

JohnBu
27th August 2007, 09:45 AM
forgot about this little beauty..

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11172&highlight=motor+mag

vectraguy01
27th August 2007, 06:05 PM
How long before they turn crap and deadly then?

like still with 5mm on it, I now understeer all the time and lose traction, and the back end will try to overtake the front even on a small bend, i no longer trust my car with them, im putting my stock rims back on, cos yer n in wet, u will understeer straight over a kerb in really bad weather. They are great for the first 6mths then shit, but they understeer more than any other tyre i have had on it.

CORZZA
6th September 2007, 09:35 PM
toyo proxies

PaulyJ
6th September 2007, 09:48 PM
Next week i'm getting a set of Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza RE001.
Awesome tyre and worth checking out.

CORZZA
6th September 2007, 11:18 PM

heard they good! But iv seen the toyo proxies street series and man its sh1t to a blanket!

cbrmale
7th September 2007, 08:53 AM
My wife's XC Barina came with Pirelli P6000s, and she always complained of the car being twitchy in the wet. And once they were half-worn, they were as noisy as 100 Landrovers going through a tunnel! The size was unusual (185/55 x 15), so we had a limited range of replacement tyres to choose from, but I read some good things about the Hankook Optima. She says the car is much better to drive in the wet now.

My AH Astra SRi came with Continental SportConti2 in 225/45 x 17, and they are awesome! Great grip wet and dry and not too noisy. I've only done 4,000km, so I can't comment on how long they will last, but reviews suggest 'average', which I take to mean about 40,000 or so. With my experience and what I have read about the SportConti2, I would recommend them to anyone who wants a high performance tyre with great all-round abilities.

digifish
7th September 2007, 10:01 AM
Stop guessing...be objective...90% of the suggestions people make about tyre performance have little relationship to actual objective performance IMO :p

Wheels 2007 Tyre Test

http://www.digifishmusic.com/public/files/WheelsTyreTest2007.pdf

11 Meg, I'd right-mouse 'save as' the link.

digifish

Dee
7th September 2007, 12:48 PM

i was just told about them and given a price too... $220 each... we'll see....

skulless
7th September 2007, 03:09 PM
i have bridgestone potenza in mine. do not what series though, but it is a 205/50/17 tyres that came with the 17" at the dealer. i was told they are good tyres, is that true?

Calibrated
7th September 2007, 04:04 PM
poor is an understatement..:mad: they suck! stuff all grip in the dry, wet well, you can go figure..

i cant even try to pull away normally without spinning...

oh, and i need to say this again

MARANGONI ZETA LINEA FTW!!!!

Dee
7th September 2007, 04:05 PM
a bit like Silverstones hey Ash?

Calibrated
7th September 2007, 04:13 PM
a bit like Silverstones hey Ash?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

digifish
7th September 2007, 04:19 PM
Did anyone notice I posted the ...

Wheels 2007 Tyre Test results?

digifish

Dee
7th September 2007, 04:23 PM
Did anyone notice I posted the ...

Wheels 2007 Tyre Test results?

digifish

yes and i read most of it
the results for the 16" and the 18" are different.... and they didnt compare my size 205/40 R17 (not expecting them to do all sizes of course) but they will more than likely have different results too

digifish
7th September 2007, 04:27 PM
yes and i read most of it
the results for the 16" and the 18" are different....

Yes and this is an important point -

You can't make any assumptions about what tires will be the best between brands, within brands OR even within sizes within a brand.

AND

best depends on what performance criteria you are looking for.

I have seen this in about 3 major tire shoot-outs now.

digifish

cbrmale
7th September 2007, 08:32 PM
I read the tyre test, but remember that the majority of performance tyres are European, and are designed for front-wheel-drive cars. A Commodore is an overweight dinosaur, by European standards. It is probably less about the larger sized version of a tyre having poor performance compared to the small-sized version and more about the tyre not being suited to what is an oddball car.

On the whole we get universal impressions on some tyres, like Pirelli P6000s are crap. From then on, it becomes a matter of compromise, and the more research one does the better. There are a lot of tyre review sites on the net, and it is possible to review the distillation of hundreds and thousands of votes on things like dry grip, wet grip, tread life, noise and so on. At least that's how I arrived at the tyres for my wife's car (better than average grip, reasonable tread life, not too noisy).

Calibrated
7th September 2007, 08:51 PM
Marangoni Reviews

http://www.tirereview.com/default.aspx?type=wm&module=4&id=2&state=DisplayFullText&item=4443
http://www.eurotyreusa.com/zetalinea/zetalinea.shtml
http://www.marangonityre.co.uk/News_Item.asp?ID=15
http://www.euroshina.com.ua/en/tyres/Marangoni/Zeta_linea

i'd been using them for years. absolutely amazing tyres. trust them with my life

digifish
7th September 2007, 10:26 PM
trust them with my life

We all trust our lives with whatever tyres we are using :)

digifish

Calibrated
7th September 2007, 10:29 PM
We all trust our lives with whatever tyres we are using :)

digifish

lol..yeah i know,but you know what i mean.;)

digifish
7th September 2007, 10:34 PM
lol..yeah i know,but you know what i mean.;)

indeed! :)

rjastra
10th September 2007, 10:21 AM
I think you should start with a name brand. You are far more likely to get a dud tyre from manufacturers like Nankang, Silverstone etc.
And on average the less you pay the worse the tyre will be.

If you want the best at the moment try the Michelin Precedas 2, Bridgestone Adrenalins, Dunlop SPort Maxx etc. These will give very good performance for a good price.

Hankook, Kuhmo, Falken have some good tyres but they are invariably their top spec models and are usually priced similar to the ones I have mentioned (go figure!).

kaoshunter
10th September 2007, 08:25 PM
Just wondering how many people on this forum have run on nankangs, and if so, why don't you like them??? Just interested as my mate swears by them on his Soarer and a few others recommend them to me aswell. Just trying to find out info on them

blueraven
10th September 2007, 10:02 PM
depends which nankangs... if he is running a motorsport tyre, then sure.

I have just bought some Federal 595RS tyres on some lightwieght racing rims, i would normally go for something from bridgstone/dunlop etc, but since this is a 'cheaper' motorsport tyre(semi r-comp, somewhere between a high end street tyre and a full track tyre), it will outgrip anything the better know brands can offer for the same price in a street tyre. Let me put it this way, the best tyre from an average company is normally better than an average tyre from a good company...or something like that :)

entice
11th September 2007, 09:29 AM
IF you are considering race application, cant go past Bridgestone Re05s... much better than the Toyo R, adnd nowhere near the price of teh Michellin R Rateds...

Bridgestone Adrenaline is teh replacement for the Potenza G3's... From reports I've heard from suspension engineers they are a very good piece of kit.

Conti Sport contacts are also brilliant, as per the AH SRI (I think CBR mentioned them)

PaulyJ
13th September 2007, 11:07 PM
Saturday morning my Bridgestone Adrenalin's are going on.
205/45/R16 for $200 each. I've only heard great reviews on them, and for that price, why not.
When people say "What's a good tyre?", its like asking 'How long is a piece of string?"
There are a lot of good tyres out there, but it mainly depends on how you drive, and what performance you're wanting to get. Some will sacrifice grip for longer life, others look at grip only. I drive my car hard, and love throwing it into corners. Thats why I'm getting a type with awesome grip. I know that I'm not going to get the same life like that of a cheaper tyre, however thats not what I'm after.

At the end of the day, we can all give heaps and heaps of suggestions, but at the end of the day, we need to sit down and work out what tyre will best suit our driving style and needs.