PDA

View Full Version : 2.2 fuel consumption

Anonymous
14th January 2004, 01:59 AM
Hi there,

Just wondering what is the best fuel consumption you guys get on your 2.2. The best I can achieve with highway cruising is in the region of 7~8l/100km, kind of high compare with factory figure of 5.8l/100km for high way cruise...

Anonymous
14th January 2004, 07:50 AM
have you got any mods?
Your figure also includes accelerating and decelerating. Factory will always give their absolute lowest value to sell the car.

Turblue
14th January 2004, 08:08 AM
Just for information/comparison. My Astra Turbo gets the same economy as my 1999 corolla 1.8L did. And considering it is a turbo'ed 2.0L engine with 50% more power, I'm happy.!!

The Astra gets 10.3L/100km if I drive just to work and back (13km one way). I guess it never really reaches full running temp and efficiency. And it is stop/start traffic too.

If I drive around a bit, ie around Melbourne, I average 9.5L/100km.

I have not done any looong trips yet. I have watched the trip computer's instant consuption mode, and if I am just cruising at a steady speed, it can be under 6L/100km. So I would guess that a long country trip would return bloody good economy.

Another thing I found too, is to use cruise control where possible. The car is extremely good at deciding how much fuel to use for a given speed. Much better than your right foot. It also keeps you at a legal speed !!

Anonymous
14th January 2004, 11:48 AM
I only have a straight through rear muffler. There was some occasional overtaking maneuvers but nothing excessive. I thought I would at least hit high 6s since the car and the tyre pressure has always been maintained. I get abt 9~10l/100km with combined driving which is fine for me. Just curious what other Sri owners get with their highway cruise as my seems a bit off with factory figure.

Anonymous
14th January 2004, 04:03 PM
Last Big Drive I went on, I got 730KMs out of a Full Tank in my Astra SRi N/A and I was pushing it on the way back. I have a Chip and Cam but that shouldn't make a Difference.
Daily Driving I get about 100-130ish Kms to a 1/4 Tank(What ever that is in Litres.

Rhino
14th January 2004, 05:46 PM
I have a Chip and Cam but that shouldn't make a Difference.

Where did you get your car chipped?

The best avg fuel economy I have got on the SRiT is 7.8 city driving! Miss Daisy would have been proud. Did it after I got my mods to see what impact it would have on normal driving... mid 500 kms on that tank.

TURBLUE: What I have noticed can influence these figures lots is...
Start your car and switch to Instantaeous Consumption, it revs out at just over 2 litres per hour cold start. Let it idle until it warms up (only a couple of mins) and it will drop to 1.2L p/h. Makes a big difference to your ave because those first couple of K's is v. inefficient.

BTW: Ever seen your turbo glow after you've given it a floggin? Take it out at night, hurt it for a while, pull over somewhere dark, LEAVE IT RUNNING, flip the bonnet and check out your handy work!!! See how long it takes to lose all signs of colour - good indication (If you don't have a turbo timer) for next time you flog it to your doorstep and don't know how long you should run it... 3 - 6 minutes if it's had a pants down spankin'!

Anonymous
14th January 2004, 06:00 PM
The Chip came with the Car(2nd Hand). I bought it off the Dude that owns the Dealership. I think he got the Chip From Germany, Its a Genuine OPC Chip, I have all the OPC Equipped Sticker(In German) In with the Paper Work somewhere. I have to find it coz a Few People want me to Copy it.

Turblue
14th January 2004, 06:39 PM
BTW: Ever seen your turbo glow after you've given it a floggin? Take it out at night, hurt it for a while, pull over somewhere dark, LEAVE IT RUNNING, flip the bonnet and check out your handy work!!! See how long it takes to lose all signs of colour - good indication (If you don't have a turbo timer) for next time you flog it to your doorstep and don't know how long you should run it... 3 - 6 minutes if it's had a pants down spankin'!

This is a bloody interesting thing to say. Might be a really good way to determine how long to idle.

Damm good thought Rhino..!!!

Anonymous
14th January 2004, 08:40 PM
Hi Kid_Sri,

Have you tried the standard Sri and compared the two? Are the chip and cam together as a package? I didn't know opc already makes a chip for it, how does she go!!? :D

astrix
15th January 2004, 02:12 PM
2.2 Auto

8.4 lt/100 kl Highway crusing
10.3 lt/100 kl City driving

Anonymous
15th January 2004, 04:41 PM
Hi Kid_Sri,

Have you tried the standard Sri and compared the two? Are the chip and cam together as a package? I didn't know opc already makes a chip for it, how does she go!!? :D

I dunno if the Guy who used to own it got the Cam and Chip as a Package.
I've put it up against Standard Astra SRi and Mine has More Torque and It makes more Noise :P @ around 4500rpm. Its like a VTEC, It hits 4000 and It will take a Frieght Train to stop it..

Anonymous
15th January 2004, 05:51 PM
the highway figure the manufactures qoute isnt the same sort of hw driving you will ever do think its at about 90 kmph

Anonymous
15th January 2004, 08:21 PM
[quote=gforce]Hi Kid_Sri,

I've put it up against Standard Astra SRi and Mine has More Torque and It makes more Noise :P @ around 4500rpm. Its like a VTEC, It hits 4000 and It will take a Frieght Train to stop it..

Cool... are you in syd? I am really interested to see the difference! let's have a drag next time :wink:

I tried once to do 90km for abt a quarter of a tank when it's full, but i know it is not acurate as the indicator drops really slowly when it's full and really fast when it is empty

smyley69
16th January 2004, 12:50 PM
I got a 02 SRi engine Auto (Convertible) and changed exhaust, air filter (panel) and chipped it up. Town went from low 9s to high 9s (unless really standing on it all the time) and highway didn't change much still get low to mid 7s at 110-120. Depends if I'm catching rays or not. Mods made a huge difference - very very happy!

Anonymous
16th January 2004, 03:45 PM
[quote=gforce]Hi Kid_Sri,

Cool... are you in syd? I am really interested to see the difference! let's have a drag next time :wink:

I tried once to do 90km for abt a quarter of a tank when it's full, but i know it is not acurate as the indicator drops really slowly when it's full and really fast when it is empty

As ya probably already know, I'm in Melb. and I don't have a Licence no more and wont do for a While :cry:

NUTTTR
20th January 2004, 01:13 AM
Best i've done is ~6L/100K's in manual 2.2L thats on the freeway included overtaking @ 160 or so, so very true figure... worst is about 15L/100k's, need lotsa traffic and hard driving to that tho, was quite an effort, i nearly fell over when i saw the consumption, rofl :)
normally about 8/100k's :) (thats mostly medium density traffic driving too)
Aaron

Anonymous
20th January 2004, 06:03 AM
hi Aaron,

over what range of the dial did you average the 6l/100km!? was that out of the whole tank?

your fuel consumption do VARY a bit! the worst I have ever got was 12l/100km

NUTTTR
20th January 2004, 05:51 PM
It was over 1250kms!!!
It was from noosa back to here... Going there was about 7L/100 wasn't in THAT much of a rush either way, probably more on the way back tho... as overtaking caravans and the like... Depends on where i'm driving, if it's a regular week, it's usually around 8/100k's :)
Aaron