PDA

View Full Version : If Aliens took your Astra!!!

mintaka
18th August 2007, 04:07 PM
G'day All,

I coped a typical kid's question from my son a little while ago.

"Dad, if you had to replace your car, what would you get?"

"Well, son, I'd get another Astra."

"But what if you couldn't get another Astra!"

"Mmmmm!"

So lets assume for a moment that aliens abducted my CDTi and Holden decided that they were going to replace the Astra with the New Deawoo / GM Peesikrap, what would I look at as a replacement.

In rough order, I'm thinking it would be these;

Focus TDCI
Mazda 3 Diesel
Golf TDI
Mazda 6 Diesel
Gold GT TSI
Golf GTI
Mazda 3 MPS
Focus RS

What would be your choices?

Just a thought experiment.

Mintaka

Alix
18th August 2007, 04:15 PM
If I had to replace the CDTi, the Focus diesel would be high up my list as well. Possibly the Megane diesel.

Didn't like the Pugs or Citroens when I looked at those. Not a big fan of the current 3 shape, and I'd prefer a Euro diesel if possible. The Golf gets a lot of good press, but it's overpriced in my book and looks like a jellybean that's been attacked with a bicycle pump.

Couldn't go smaller, so stuff like the 207 and Polo would be out on that count.

Oh, I don't think I need to point out that this hypothetical replacement would be another diesel...

jsantos
18th August 2007, 04:50 PM
Well if when they took the astra they gave me a bit of extra cash as well it would be

Civic Type R
XR5 Turbo
Clio 197
GTI
VXR
3 MPS
VE SS

mintaka
18th August 2007, 04:54 PM
Alix,

I've owned a 307 and drove a lot of C4's when I was working in New Caledonia. They had some good points, like really nice interiors, but they weren't build very well and had shocking gear changes, so that's why I don't have them on my list.

Mintaka

mintaka
18th August 2007, 04:56 PM
Well if when they took the astra they gave me a bit of extra cash as well it would be

Civic Type R
XR5 Turbo
Clio 197
GTI
VXR
3 MPS
VE SS

Isn't the VXR an Astra?

;)

jsantos
18th August 2007, 05:17 PM
Isn't the VXR an Astra?

;)
I'd Hopeing the aliens didn't realise that

Alix
18th August 2007, 05:17 PM
Hi Minitaka,

I've nothing against Pugs/Citroens per se, I leased a diesel 206 while I was in Europe a few years back and was very impressed and happy with it. Too small for everyday needs here now, especially since I now have a young family. The 307 was high on my list for the new car when I bought the Astra, but when I gave it a going over I wasn't impressed with the interior. The C4 was also just a touch too out there for me as well.

EDIT: That would be a 206 I leased, not a 207...

Shaun
18th August 2007, 05:26 PM
HSV GTS.(would have had one instead of the VXR if i could have afford it )
Focus XR5
MPS 3
New WRX
C230 Benz.
Audi A4
Audi S3.
Audi RS4 (Can keep dreaming about that one)

dieselhead
18th August 2007, 05:27 PM
Well, if the aliens took my Astra, I would go after them, to recoup my green box :)
Since they took the Astra only, I would look for a car with the same engine as the CDTi, say Alfa 147 JTD, or even better, some of the new Saabs with the 135 kW two stage bi turbo diesel or whatever they call it :)
The price of these two cars just shows, once again, what a bargain the Astra diesel is, agree?

Off topic: I was thinking, should we dieselheads have our own area? We could discuss there not only about Astras, but also about other new players on the market, tuning, diesel news and what not. What do you say?

bornwild
18th August 2007, 07:57 PM
I certainly wouldn't even look at the French cars...it would have to be something German.

In order of preference:
-BMW 120d
-Ford TDCi
-Ford XR5
-Golf GTi
-Golf GT
-Golf 2.0TDi

bornwild
18th August 2007, 07:57 PM
Off topic: I was thinking, should we dieselheads have our own area? We could discuss there not only about Astras, but also about other new players on the market, tuning, diesel news and what not. What do you say?

Agreed, even though I don't own a diesel....unfortunately :(

bornwild
18th August 2007, 07:59 PM
Alix,

I've owned a 307 and drove a lot of C4's when I was working in New Caledonia. They had some good points, like really nice interiors, but they weren't build very well and had shocking gear changes, so that's why I don't have them on my list.

Mintaka

Yeah French cars are usually nice to look at(ie. C4) but terrible terrible to live with(ie. quality, reliability) and sometimes they are really good drivers like the Megane 220 and the Clio Sport.

Ishley
19th August 2007, 10:52 AM

Civic Type R
XR5 Turbo
Clio 197
GTI
VXR
3 MPS
VE SS
I'm almost sure you got that list out of my back pocket :p

All those cars would make my list, maybe just in a different order.....

CJB
19th August 2007, 09:49 PM
I'd be going

New Mitsu Lancer VR-X
Honda Accord Euro
Dodge Nitro
Ford Explorer
Mazda 3 SP23

mintaka
20th August 2007, 09:28 PM
I certainly wouldn't even look at the French cars...it would have to be something German.

In order of preference:
-BMW 120d
-Ford TDCi
-Ford XR5
-Golf GTi
-Golf GT
-Golf 2.0TDi

The trouble I have with 120d is that it's sooo much more expensive than everything else. Would I pay more for it, yes, would I pay the sums BMW Aus charges, no way. It's not THAT much better.

Mintaka

mintaka
20th August 2007, 09:32 PM

I'm seriously in 2 minds about this.

I can see your point, but I would hate to "Getto" us oil burners away from the general crowd. How do we convert them otherwise??? :p

And we can talk about all the stuff you mentioned anyway. We would still annoy Entice whatever we do!

Cheers.

Mintaka

EL BURITO
20th August 2007, 10:02 PM
Ford TDCi

I drove his today.it pulls really well, but the astra still has more going for it in the form of the suspension

bornwild
20th August 2007, 10:08 PM
The trouble I have with 120d is that it's sooo much more expensive than everything else. Would I pay more for it, yes, would I pay the sums BMW Aus charges, no way. It's not THAT much better.

Mintaka

$50k on-road....not bad for a rear-wheel drive hot hatch diesel if you ask me.....especially once the twin-turbo 400Nm/160kW version comes out. Though you are right, for a couple of more grand you can get the 3 series.