PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Pontiac G8

MatsHolden
15th August 2007, 05:28 PM
Saw one of Holden's Pontiac G8's this morning on the Nepean Hwy in Seaford. Surprisingly the front treatment looks quite good. Big road pressence, stood out from about 200m off. Would almost say it has more pressence than with the SS front. From the rear it wasn't hard to pick... the LEFT HAND DRIVE decal on the rear always gives it away. lol

Shaun
15th August 2007, 09:57 PM
Holden should have done a trade off for the Pontiac G6. They are a neat looking car . If i lived in the states i would buy one.

bornwild
15th August 2007, 10:02 PM
For those of us who are unknowledgable of american horsecarts...err cars....what do the G8 and G6 look like?

Red AH SRI T
16th August 2007, 08:43 AM
Pontiac G8 (Rebadged commodore)

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/02/08/036618.1-lg.jpg

Pontiac G6

http://www.autobytel.com/images/previews/05PonitacG6/400/2005-pontiac-g6-front.jpg

Google is your firend ;)

entice
16th August 2007, 09:22 AM
:0

I saw a Ve ute the other day.. in camo gear that made it look like a police car. Must have been an HSV model, as the wheels (thru the large covering plates that were over them) were huge, and the rear tray had the batmobile style cover on it.
Very high waistline...

Shaun
16th August 2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks Kurt. As you can see doing a " Google " search can be helpful.

bornwild
16th August 2007, 10:32 AM
Americans have those bonnet scoops on everything these days....

Wraith
16th August 2007, 11:38 AM
I used to spot the Pontiac Monaro models quite frequently up and down on the Sth Eastern Freeway, with no covering or camo at all on them, it seems Holden only tries to disguise the local market variants...

Entice the VE ute would've looked hot, it certainly does in pics so I could imagine the real thing, the wagon and coupe models are gonna be really something too I think...

By the looks of things it I think we'll see the VE utes in showrooms by the end of this year - maybe :)

entice
16th August 2007, 12:09 PM
VE ute rollout in October I think. Dealer release is coming soon.

But, rumour file this morning on AW reckons one per dealer uppon release....

Wraith
16th August 2007, 12:46 PM
I predict they're gonna sell like hot cakes ;)

poita
16th August 2007, 06:12 PM
official launch site for teh VE ute
www.evolutionendshere.com.au
6 days 15hrs till official release

dieselhead
16th August 2007, 07:48 PM
Bit off topic here...
Guys, please explain to me why are utes great. I simply don't get it, can't understand why a tradesman would need a V8 ute that can carry a few hundred kilos only, has two seats but it's not a sports coupe and often use an ancient suspension solution at the rear end...

xplosv57
16th August 2007, 09:59 PM
To be honest, i can't explain it either, but fark i love them!!!! I guess it's cos theyre so raw, no weight in the back, basic setup!!! Plus they look super tough!!!!

Holden utes have always had the same rear end setup as the sedan and wagon!! Fords still use leafs so the load rating can be higher!!

Shaun
16th August 2007, 10:05 PM
Bit off topic here...
Guys, please explain to me why are utes great. I simply don't get it, can't understand why a tradesman would need a V8 ute that can carry a few hundred kilos only, has two seats but it's not a sports coupe and often use an ancient suspension solution at the rear end...

Cheap Sports car. They have apeal as they look good standard. (both Holden and Ford versions) But throw a set of big ass rims on them lower them a couple of inches and "BANG" You have a decent looking sports car looks. I too dont understand it but my cousin had a FPV Tornado and it was lowered a few inches . APS Remap and a John Bowe enhance Exhaust system but **** did it have alot of appeal on the road.

And im normally not a ford person TBH but it looked great. As i said. They are a cheap sports car. (2 seaters) and they have a heritage too i guess with the Australian Public.

Wraith
17th August 2007, 09:22 AM
Agree with all the above, utes just look HOT even if they arn't the best tradies choice of vehicle, they are the most appealing for sure !

As for ancient rear suspension (I assume your talking about leaf springs) they are in fact still one of the best set ups in this type of vehicle to handle large loads, hence why Ford has stuck with them for so long and also why Ford utes outperform Holden utes in gross weight capabilities...

I'd buy one of them new VE utes anyday if I was a tradie for sure :)

entice
17th August 2007, 12:03 PM
if you've ever had to renovate your own home, or are generally a person who likes to do things yourself, You'd understand teh attraction of a ute..

I came close to buying one, but decided that it wasnt a good look in turning up to a medical practice with a ute...

Wraith
17th August 2007, 12:48 PM
hahaha LOL, yes, totally agree, I often seriously contemplated getting one, certainly would've come in handy having built 2 houses of my own over the years, but the '2 seater only' thing is what turned me away....

This new VE in HSV guise will be a stunner, a wagon will be very interesting too :)

bornwild
17th August 2007, 01:52 PM
As for ancient rear suspension (I assume your talking about leaf springs) they are in fact still one of the best set ups in this type of vehicle to handle large loads, hence why Ford has stuck with them for so long and also why Ford utes outperform Holden utes in gross weight capabilities...

You can get springs with higher spring constants. This would give you the ability to have comfort/safety and transport large loads. Don't see any advantage in having leaf springs...maybe cheaper?

As for the Utes themselves, stupidest thing on 4 wheels I have ever seen. Especially since not even 1% of the utes on our roads are used what they are made for....transport large loads!

There is some nice ones...but very rare.

rjastra
17th August 2007, 03:54 PM
The leaf spring argument doesn't stack up for the desirable FOrd Utes (XRs) as they don't have any payload advantage over the Holden alternatives.

Expect the next Falcon ute to ditch the leaf springs.

poita
17th August 2007, 06:31 PM
if ppl are serious bout carting loads in a ute they will put a decent set of airbag suspension in it
and no not the type so the 'tray is full slik sliding and sprkin on the bitchy yo' airbags either

MatsHolden
21st August 2007, 09:10 PM
I'm not a tradesman, but i'd seriously consider the SS ute. Fantastic visual impact, and 10k cheaper than the sedan.

Red AH SRI T
23rd August 2007, 09:18 AM
Expect the next Falcon ute to ditch the leaf springs.

The spy pics of the Orion ute tell a different story

MatsHolden
8th September 2007, 02:04 PM
My old man spotted 2 Pontiac G8's leaving Lang Lang and drove with them down Gippsland... Got a photo, but not the best lol Bit hard drivin and tryin to take a good photo. Apparently the exhaust on the G8 versions sounds amazing.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/DSC00751.jpg

Wraith
9th September 2007, 02:21 PM
Great 'grab' :)

Maybe they (U.S. market) have different emissions laws and can have a louder exhaust ??

Our VE's actually sound great too stock standard, the V8 sound is certainly louder/more audible than in previous models....:)

When I test drove a VE GTS earlier this year, I couldn't believe my ears how much better it sounded compared to my LS1 VTII R8, that car was so quiet, unless you hammered and revved it out, sound wise you wouldn't know it was a V8...

MatsHolden
9th September 2007, 02:52 PM
Great 'grab' :)

Maybe they (U.S. market) have different emissions laws and can have a louder exhaust ??

Our VE's actually sound great too stock standard, the V8 sound is certainly louder/more audible than in previous models....:)

When I test drove a VE GTS earlier this year, I couldn't believe my ears how much better it sounded compared to my LS1 VTII R8, that car was so quiet, unless you hammered and revved it out, sound wise you wouldn't know it was a V8...

Yeh the US have less strict sound emission laws. Heard a VE SS with the stock exhaust the other day under hard acceleration, whilst it had a bit of a note, it was still 'wheezy'.

Wraith
9th September 2007, 03:33 PM
Yeh the US have less strict sound emission laws. Heard a VE SS with the stock exhaust the other day under hard acceleration, whilst it had a bit of a note, it was still 'wheezy'.

Not to worry, a little exhaust systems mod will fix it up nicely :)

Then you'll have that outstanding horn bags V8 trade mark sound :D

rjastra
10th September 2007, 02:00 PM
Is that really a G8? I thought the G8 ditched the "over the top" SS rear spoiler for a much smaller one?

MatsHolden
10th September 2007, 03:08 PM
Is that really a G8? I thought the G8 ditched the "over the top" SS rear spoiler for a much smaller one?

Was definately a Pontiac G8. Yeh the G8 'Concept' had a lip spoiler, possibly the production model may have the SS spoiler or may be an option. Note that the production model isn't recieving the VE GTS inspired 20" alloys as shown on the concept.

Also it could just simply be that Holden just put on an SS spolier to draw less attention when they were first starting public road testing.