PDA

View Full Version : Rims 14 To 16 Or 17inch.

stolenbadge
15th August 2007, 10:41 AM
I would like some opinions on the fitment of either 16 or 17 inch rims to my 2002 astra city, for example if some of you have gone to a 17inch rim from the 14inch have you noticed any differance in accelleration is it slower or about the same?

I am looking at 17x7. Anyway have your say.

Regards,

STOLENBADGE. [AGAIN]

Wraith
15th August 2007, 11:10 AM
If your going to go from 14" to 16" or 17" the O/A dia. will remain nearly exactly the same as it is with the 14's so acceleration, top end speed and rpm at any given speed (and economy) should remain the same as stock.

You will get a slight improvement in acceleration and economy if the new rims are noticeably lighter than the stock rims - vice versa if they're noticeably heavier !

Ride quality and comfort levels will deteriorate a little from 14's to 17's since you'll have a 40 series low profile tyre with 17's compared to the 'spongy' stocker, but believe me it's not a concern at all.

Cornerring will improve due to a lower profile tyre.

Looks wise - what can I say - no comparison, the 17's will look HOT, stock 14's look well..............you know what I mean.

IMHO go for it if you can afford to, the benifits are plenty and these days you can get a gorgeous looking set of new 17's for around 900-1600 all up with tyres and fitting :)

JR
15th August 2007, 12:29 PM
i did exactly that - upgraded from 14s (195/65/14) to 17s (215/40/17) on my astra 2002 city :D

as Wraith said, ride comfort is reduced - u feel lotsa bumps.
the biggest thing u'll notice is road/tyre noise.
...oh n tyres on 17s cost alot more than 14s!! then again, thats obvious.

in terms of handling, performance, acceleration - no probs there.

go for it!!!

oh....check with ur insurance company - some won't let u go more than 2inches (in diameter) from stock (in the astra city's case, its 14 inch stock). some don't care about the diameter, instead they won't let u go more that 7 inches wide.