PDA

View Full Version : CDTi 1 Year on.

digifish
13th August 2007, 12:00 PM
It's almost a year since I got the CDTi.

Economy (economy is for the weak, but interesting too :))

I have been keeping some statistics on it's economy around town (urban driving in Adelaide), this is based on km driven and pump fill volumes (not the ECU).

Average city range (based on tank/economy) = 848 km.
Average time between fills = 28 days.
Average consumption = 6.4 l/100 km (or 15.4 km/liter)
ECU accuracy, reading 16% optimistic, I am using 16% more fuel than it reports. I will get this adjusted at the next service (can be done in Tech 2).

Warranty Jobs:

Engine oil leak from around vacuum pump & cam-cover (replaced gaskets).
Gearbox input shaft lubricated (gearbox out job).

The dealer Claridge Holden has been great (free loan cars), helpful.

Positives: Strong air-con (very cold), aggressive acceleration, eats hills, taught - confidence inspiring handling/chassis. Superb in the wet. Q-car looks.

Negatives: Noise at idle when you are stuck in stop-start traffic. Weak stereo. Occasional greasy diesel pumps. Smokey under hard acceleration.

It's a great car. I will buy the next one when it arrives...with the 400 nm 150+ kW twin-tururbo diesel...

digifish

Wraith
13th August 2007, 12:54 PM
Good report and good to see your happy with it.

That error your getting on the ecu consumption read out is about the same in my petrol TS turbo....and I believe it's an across the board thing, I've always gauged my fuel consumption the same way you've done yours.

Next model power and torque figures are more like it (especially the kw's) but is this just a case of a tuned up current engine (ie: you can get that power/torque with a green box or similar) or will you be able to get a bigger increase with a green box or similar as you can on the current 1.9 engine ??

Would be good if for eg: if it could be raised to around 175-180kw and 450-500nm :)

cbrmale
13th August 2007, 04:33 PM
I have an SRi 2.2, and the trip computer is quite accurate. The trip computer shows 9.0 litres / 100km, and my arithmetic averaging several fills (petrol consumed and distance covered) is - 9.0 litres / 100km. Maybe the trip computer inaccuracy affects different models (turbos?), or just some cars.

dieselhead
13th August 2007, 05:18 PM
Happy Anniversary digifish, glad to see you're happy with the car.

Just turned 8 months myself and still can't wait to get behind the wheel every morning!

Strange thing, I'm getting the same 16% error. I thought it's because of the green box, but now that I know you're getting the same error convinced me it's not that.
My computer is reporting 5.7 l/100km over 12,000 km when in fact I get, according to my measurements at the pump, 6.6 l/100km. Not bad at all, considering I'm a very aggressive driver and didn't drive it interstate yet ;)
Let us know how you go with adjusting it during the next service. I'll have my 15,000km check done sometimes next month. Are you sure the adjustment can be done at the dealer? Don't wanna look like an idiot when asking them...

Tfer
13th August 2007, 05:32 PM
It's almost a year since I got the CDTi.

Economy (economy is for the weak, but interesting too :))

I have been keeping some statistics on it's economy around town (urban driving in Adelaide), this is based on km driven and pump fill volumes (not the ECU).

Average city range (based on tank/economy) = 848 km.
Average time between fills = 28 days.
Average consumption = 6.4 l/100 km (or 15.4 km/liter)
ECU accuracy, reading 16% optimistic, I am using 16% more fuel than it reports. I will get this adjusted at the next service (can be done in Tech 2).

Warranty Jobs:

Engine oil leak from around vacuum pump & cam-cover (replaced gaskets).
Gearbox input shaft lubricated (gearbox out job).

The dealer Claridge Holden has been great (free loan cars), helpful.

Positives: Strong air-con (very cold), aggressive acceleration, eats hills, taught - confidence inspiring handling/chassis. Superb in the wet. Q-car looks.

Negatives: Noise at idle when you are stuck in stop-start traffic. Weak stereo. Occasional greasy diesel pumps. Smokey under hard acceleration.

It's a great car. I will buy the next one when it arrives...with the 400 nm 150+ kW twin-tururbo diesel...

digifish

Good report digifish and glad you are still enjoying your ride.... :)

But, it takes you 28 days to travel 848 kms on average..... can we trade? :rolleyes: Sometimes I will travel 1,000 in a week :o

digifish
13th August 2007, 06:21 PM
Let us know how you go with adjusting it during the next service. I'll have my 15,000km check done sometimes next month. Are you sure the adjustment can be done at the dealer? Don't wanna look like an idiot when asking them...

There is a Field Remedy for it (using tech 2)...looking for number now.... However you will need to give them the percentage adjustment. Or the litres actual vs trip computer consumption....not sure what format they need it in.

digifish

EL BURITO
13th August 2007, 11:17 PM
Thomas same boat as you mate min of 650km a week but i dont have any other option + 80% is tax deductable :).

Digfish or Desielhead Have some Q for u

Do you have any better figures on freeway hight way driving Lts/100km or idea

dieselhead
13th August 2007, 11:20 PM
I have not driven interstate yet, but over 45 km at 110 km/h I averaged 4.5 l/100km, in 6th at about 2,100 rpm. Hope that helps giving you an idea about cruising ability of this car.

Show me another car, other than the so called green Prius, that would average 6.6 l/100km over 12,000 km of fairly focused city driving. Sure, Adelaide is not Sydney, but it's not Alice Springs-Darwin, either :D

EL BURITO
13th August 2007, 11:26 PM
much apriciated
I do 120 daily on quiet freeway

rjastra
14th August 2007, 12:56 PM
Show me another car, other than the so called green Prius, that would average 6.6 l/100km over 12,000 km of fairly focused city driving. Sure, Adelaide is not Sydney, but it's not Alice Springs-Darwin, either :D

Just about any medium sized diesel car on the market... your point? ;)

EL BURITO
14th August 2007, 01:05 PM
seeing as there are only 4 options available 2 of witch only just fit into those requirements as mid size

digifish
14th August 2007, 01:22 PM
seeing as there are only 4 options available 2 of witch only just fit into those requirements as mid size

Peugeot 307 HDi
Ford Focus TDCi
Mazda 3 Diesel
Mazda 6 Diesel
Astra CDTi
Golf TDI

?

Wraith
14th August 2007, 01:25 PM
I have not driven interstate yet, but over 45 km at 110 km/h I averaged 4.5 l/100km, in 6th at about 2,100 rpm. Hope that helps giving you an idea about cruising ability of this car.

I think we all know oilers have fantastic economy/range figures, that is afterall their biggest attribute :)

My old AE82 Corolla could achieve those figures and it didn't have a 6th cog to bring the revs down to 2100rpm at 110km/h or it would do even better than that...true smaller engine and not as powerful and different fuel costs, but very efficient.

'Probably' the best example of a new petrol car with similar power is the new Golf GT 1.4 twin charger, which averages 7.7ltrs combined cycle, not as good, but it will give you 150kw of petrol revving power...:)

EL BURITO
14th August 2007, 01:26 PM
Peugeot 307 HDi
Ford Focus TDCi
Mazda 3 Diesel
Mazda 6 Diesel
Astra CDTi
Golf TDI

?
forgot the purgeot and the 3 isn't here yet

dieselhead
14th August 2007, 01:52 PM
Just about any medium sized diesel car on the market... your point?

Well, my point is that I've got (due to green box) 141 kW under the bonnet and that feels every time I take off.
All the other mid sized diesel cars on the market here, down under, are more or less slower than a CDTi, when comparing stock engines. Except perhaps the BMW 120d, but those cost $50k, a totally different league :)
Amongst current crop the 4 cylinder turbo diesels, the CDTi seem to be the "sportiest". Don't take my word for it, read the reviews and the official 0-100 km/h figures.

There's no way any petrol engine in the under $30k price bracket cars could match the power & economy of a Astra CDTi, Ford TDCi or Mazda 3 Diesel. If you think there is any, I want to know more about it.

Wraith, If the Golf GT has 125 kw, not 150. Also, would not compete directly with the GM/Ford/Mazda diesels, costing many thousands more...

digifish
14th August 2007, 02:26 PM
There's no way any petrol engine in the under $30k price bracket cars could match the power & economy of a Astra CDTi, Ford TDCi or Mazda 3 Diesel. If you think there is any, I want to know more about it.

Wraith, If the Golf GT has 125 kw, not 150. Also, would not compete directly with the GM/Ford/Mazda diesels, costing many thousands more...

It seems the Golf GT has 120-125 kw ATW, so probably 147 at the engine.

The Astra CDTi is certainly the fastest and meanest (stock) small car I know for less than 30K. That's why I bought one, I had never experienced anything like it in a stock small 4 Cyl car before (well the Golf 2.0 TDI :))...but never the less, it was quite a revelation.

digifish

Wraith
14th August 2007, 03:51 PM

As DigiFish has already pointed out - in actual fact the Golf GT has 150+kw and NOT the advertised 125kw !!!

This has been proven with 2 new cars tested on the dyno (channel 9's car show a couple of weeks ago) - one pulled 121kw and the other a best of 117kw at the wheels, the better one equated to around 151kw at the engine and that's stock ! :)

I've also read and wrote about it on a thread several months back, after doing some research, found that VW are purposely underquoting it, to not outshine their more common 2.0ltr TFSI petrol turbo.

The Golf GT does cost over 30k though...but I'm sure we'll see this engine in future VW models.

Given the choice of engine, I'd rather that beaut little 1.4TC petrol over the 1.9TD oiler anyday :)

dieselhead
14th August 2007, 03:59 PM
Given the choice, I'd be driving full leather Recaro sports seats 150 kW Polo GTI. Now that would be a lot of fun for under $35k :)

digifish
15th August 2007, 11:02 AM
I thought it's because of the green box

...do you have that thing out from inside the battery cover yet? or at least in a zip-lock bag...it will end in tears if, no when, the battery leaks.

digifish

digifish
16th August 2007, 09:24 AM
BTW: Can anyone find on the net the 0-100 figures for the Golf GTI vs GT done independently?

digifish

rjastra
16th August 2007, 11:12 AM
I have a Polo Gti with the APR Stage 1. 150kw, 320Nm (max Nm from 2000rpm) and all for under 30K on the road. The standard Polo GTi is faster than any of the current mid sized diesels. The APR stage 1 is way way faster. Stage 2 APR is 180kw!

dieselhead
16th August 2007, 11:14 AM
The standard Polo GTi is faster than any of the current mid sized diesels.

...but is quite smaller, too. And some 300 kg lighter. Different class, really. :)

Red AH SRI T
16th August 2007, 01:23 PM
Peugeot 307 HDi
Ford Focus TDCi
Mazda 3 Diesel
Mazda 6 Diesel
Astra CDTi
Golf TDI

?

You forgot the Renault Megane dCi and Citroen C4

bornwild
16th August 2007, 01:41 PM
I have a Polo Gti with the APR Stage 1. 150kw, 320Nm (max Nm from 2000rpm) and all for under 30K on the road. The standard Polo GTi is faster than any of the current mid sized diesels. The APR stage 1 is way way faster. Stage 2 APR is 180kw!

Fuel Consumption? :D

digifish
16th August 2007, 11:05 PM
Are you sure the adjustment can be done at the dealer? Don't wanna look like an idiot when asking them...

Quote ...

Field Remedy 2063

digifish

dieselhead
16th August 2007, 11:29 PM
thanks digifish! I'm not going to ask how you obtained that info... :)

digifish
17th August 2007, 08:45 AM
thanks digifish! I'm not going to ask how you obtained that info... :)

Actually my dealer is quite happy to tell me Field Remedy codes.

So you are prepared...

To get the correction factor you have to:

1. Refuel vehicle till maximum and reset "Board-Computer Absolute Consumption". Drive the car as normal (for you that means fast :P )

2. At the next refueling fill to maximum and has to make a note of the trip computer trip consumption and the fill amounts of fuel.

They will want these values for tech 2 I think. I have made an average over 5 fills now.

digifish

bornwild
17th August 2007, 02:08 PM

I'm assuming your Polo GTi returns 10L/100km....imagine a Diesel 2.0L drinking 10L/100km......you'd probably have like 200kW and 500Nm.....bwahahahhahaha:D:D:D:D:D

digifish
17th August 2007, 02:37 PM
I'm assuming your Polo GTi returns 10L/100km....imagine a Diesel 2.0L drinking 10L/100km......you'd probably have like 200kW and 500Nm.....bwahahahhahaha:D:D:D:D:D

...and leave a soot cloud that can be seen from space :)

Look bornwild just started his CDTi...

http://danielhernandez.typepad.com/daniel_hernandez/images/2007/03/30/28710143.jpg

bornwild
17th August 2007, 02:39 PM
...and leave a soot cloud that can be seen from space :)

Look bornwild just started his CDTi...

http://danielhernandez.typepad.com/daniel_hernandez/images/2007/03/30/28710143.jpg
Guilty! :D

rjastra
17th August 2007, 03:44 PM

Around 9L/100km around town (mostly very short trips)
<7L/100km on the freeway.

dieselhead
17th August 2007, 04:01 PM

well, the 4.2 TDI that's on the Audi Q7, returns 11.1 l/100km delivering 240 kW and 760 Nm. Pretty good, ha?

blueraven
17th August 2007, 04:48 PM
My astra still has an average consumption of 9.2l per 100km :)

on the freeway at 110 it holds 4.8l per 100k regularly.

bornwild
17th August 2007, 05:33 PM
My astra still has an average consumption of 9.2l per 100km :)

on the freeway at 110 it holds 4.8l per 100k regularly.

Yeah, but that's driving normally. To get as much power out of your car as you normally get it out of a diesel, you'd have to thrash yours, hence fuel consumption would go above 11-12L.

NOTE: Not since yours is tuned, but talking of a standard one.

dieselhead
17th August 2007, 06:30 PM
I'm a lead foot, I said that before... Driving months and years in each car , in a V6 Commodore I was getting 13.5 l/100km/h, Magna V6 12.5 l/100km, Astra AH 1.8 auto 9.2 l/100km/h.
The CDTi sips only 6.2 l/100km. Don't think I've changed my ways, quite the contrary I should say. I'm not a hoon, only like to reah the speed limit, fast. This oiler is allowing me to have fund driving without the guilt and without the bowser punishment. :)

sooty
17th August 2007, 08:10 PM
6.3l/100km for me...but i've only done 7,000k...it's constantly going down as i keep driving...oh yeah...and that's in peak hour traffic...50km a day....i wish i could do more freeway driving....6th will be getting dusty XD

Alix
18th August 2007, 03:12 AM
6.3l/100km for me...but i've only done 7,000k...it's constantly going down as i keep driving...oh yeah...and that's in peak hour traffic...50km a day....i wish i could do more freeway driving....6th will be getting dusty XD

Heh. I think mine's showing 7.1l/100km at the moment. Nearly 8000kms over ~6months, but the big difference is it's only 5-10 mins to work. Most of the time my CDTi is running cold on short trips. I try and give it a longer run most weekends, but even then that's usually just around town.

I'm in Canberra, so when I say "running cold", I mean it. Wasn't so bad in summer - mid 6s was the norm. On the highway, mid 5s average, easy.

mintaka
18th August 2007, 03:45 PM
G'day Everyone,

Well, I've had my CDTi for over 12 months as well.

Unlike the D Fish, no major problems with the car. Had a buzzing noise in it that t urned out to be a rattling E-Tag. Very mild oil leak, barley noticeable.

The engine has freed up nicely, and I have just over 25,000 on the clock, the vast majority of Km done on rural and semi rural roads.

When driving long distances, the economy will be around the 4.8 to 5.1 range. If you drive like a real granny, you could see 4.3 (you could also die of boredom!). I cruise around the 115 mark indicated on the speedo, so I guess I'm bang on the speed limit most of the time.

Still love the way it accelerates. I have to drive alot of petrol hire cars for work and it brings home what a fun thing this is to drive.

Apart from getting the paint scratched :mad: this has been a great car. Still a bit hard in the suspension, but that's the price you pay for tight handling.

I may just finish with things I'd like to see in the next version;

-Leather seats
-Colour trip computer / sat nav
-Climate control (I'm such a wussy old man!!!!)
-At least 1 bloody cup holder!
-Easier to clean alloy wheels
But most of all - Twin turbo, 400 Nm!!!! :D (I know I can get a green box Dieselhead, but I'm talking stock here)

Cheers.

Mintaka

digifish
18th August 2007, 04:12 PM
-Leather seats
-Colour trip computer / sat nav
-At least 1 bloody cup holder!
But most of all - Twin turbo, 400 Nm!!!! :D (I know I can get a green box Dieselhead, but I'm talking stock here)

Of those my priorities would be...

-Leather seats
-Twin turbo, 400 Nm
-Colour trip computer/sat nav
-At least 1 bloody cup holder

It may seem strange, but the interior is where you spend all your time with the car and it's a much classier place in leather...the current model is *almost* rapid enough :D

digifish

cbrmale
21st August 2007, 04:06 PM
Unfortunately, the intercooled turbo-diesel engine is quite expensive to build relative to a simple petrol engine, so Holden economise with cloth seats, non-climate-control, 16" wheels and so on. If they specified the CDTi like a SRi, it would cost thousands of dollars more than it does now (the leather seats, the wheels and the tyres are quite expensive).

I like the semi-auto climate control on my SRi by the way, it is simple but very effective. Just set the temp, and drive all day in comfort.

Alix
25th August 2007, 11:15 AM
On the highway, mid 5s average, easy.

Just to illustrate this, last weekend I did a loop out of Canberra --> Cooma --> Bega --> Tathra --> Batemans Bay --> Canberra. Most of that is quite hilly, I had Sports Mode on, and I was no shrinking violet. About 550kms @ 5.6l/100.

I cruise around the 115 mark indicated on the speedo, so I guess I'm bang on the speed limit most of the time.

According to my GPS, an indicated 110 is a couple of kays over 100.

I may just finish with things I'd like to see in the next version;
A slightly higher first gear, so I'm not swopping cogs so quickly
A better stereo. In particular:

Scrolling CD text, so I don't just see the first part of the track details
Auxiliary inputs, for large capacity mp3 players
Better speakers
Better button layout - why are the Radio buttons round and the CD button rectangular? Makes it hard to change inputs on the move if you haven't memorised what is where.
The ability to switch out the stock head unit for an aftermarket one would be nice too.
Better cupholders - the ones in the doors are awkward to use at the best of times.
More/bigger storage spaces. My parking permit only just squeezes into the console in front of the gear lever, and the only place my phone will fit is in the one behind the hand brake.
Some space somewhere on the dash where I could mount a phone kit/holder and still see/use the phone
A particulate filter
Auto-off headlights. Just about everything else on the car self cancels when I shut down the engine, and the headlights do turn off with the ignition. So why oh why does the Annoy-o-tron start up when I open the door?
An intermittent wiper delay adjustment mechanism that I can actually work out how to use. This has bugged me since day one, and I still can't work it out.
Slightly better lighting in the back seats. After discovering that sitting my regular work bag on the passenger seat caused the seat belt warning light to come on (and the Annoy-o-tron to kick in as well) I keep it behind the front seat now. And I notice its a bit dim back there when I get it out. I don't fancy fiddling about with baby seat buckles back there in the dark.
EDIT (Remembered one more) Get rid of the double remote press to deadlock the car and make it the default. I can't think of too many times where you wouldn't want to deadlock the car, and making you press the remote twice is a pain.While that seems like a long list, but they are mostly fairly minor quibbles and should be easily fixed in a future model. Quite a few relate to all Astras, not just the CDTi.

cbrmale
27th August 2007, 02:55 PM
Apart from the particulate filter and unique-to-diesel gearing, the list applies to pretty much every Astra. I would add that the climate control adjustments should be mounted higher on the centre console as they are difficult to fiddle with way down low, and the cruise control on the end of the right-hand stalk is quite awkward to use too.

To alter the intermittent wiper timing, hold the left stalk down as far as it can go for the time of your required duration, and then lift it up to intermittent. Voila, the duration has changed. Awkward and complicated, rotating the end of the left-stalk (like most Japanese cars) is way more logical.

Alix
27th August 2007, 06:04 PM
I would add that the climate control adjustments should be mounted higher on the centre console as they are difficult to fiddle with way down low

Yep, I'd agree with that.

and the cruise control on the end of the right-hand stalk is quite awkward to use too.Hmm. I've not found that.

To alter the intermittent wiper timing, hold the left stalk down as far as it can go for the time of your required duration, and then lift it up to intermittent. Voila, the duration has changed. Awkward and complicated, rotating the end of the left-stalk (like most Japanese cars) is way more logical.So that's how it works - thanks. Although it must be a pain to make adjustments to the delay timing on the move. You know, like in variable weather, such as when you'd want to use variable speed wipers...

I'm tossing up whether to add timed auto-locking to my list. I think so. The number of times I've got an attack of the Did I's and gone back to check, it'd be nice to be able to know the car locks itself if left unlocked for x amount of time with no key in the ignition. With the ability to turn it off for those who have a habit of taking the keys out and leaving them in the centre console or something.

bornwild
27th August 2007, 07:25 PM
I think the auto-lock feature is there.....:S I'm pretty sure mine has locked itself a couple of times.

cbrmale
28th August 2007, 10:35 AM
Like most cars, the Astra only auto-locks if you unlock it and don't open a door within a specified timeframe. This is obviously for when someone accidently presses the unlock button on the remote, although this is less likely an Astra compared to my previous car, which I used to accidentally unlock all of the time.

And yes, varying the duration of intermittent wipe in changeable weather is a pain, so I don't do it very often. I tend to use the push-down for one sweep option when drizzle is really light or there is a Canberra fog, and then standard duration intermittent if the rain is a little heavier.

digifish
27th August 2012, 02:56 PM
I just saw that Opel is coming to Australia ... and I have been clinging to my CDTi since I bought it in 2007 (only 35,000 km on it tho as I don't drive it much). So as soon as I see one of the sportier diesels arrive at Opel looks like it's time to upgrade it...finally ;)

Wraith
29th August 2012, 07:42 PM
Hey, talk about a blast from the past :)

Speaking of the sportier new AJ Astra diesels this was brought up in another thread also, they are IMHO the pick of the bunch of the cooking model Astras, especially for high km everyday usage...

If your only doing low kms, might be better to settle on the 1.6ltr turbo petrol...

digifish
29th August 2012, 09:51 PM
Hey, talk about a blast from the past :)

Speaking of the sportier new AJ Astra diesels this was brought up in another thread also, they are IMHO the pick of the bunch of the cooking model Astras, especially for high km everyday usage...

If your only doing low kms, might be better to settle on the 1.6ltr turbo petrol...

I am addicted to torque ... ;)

I'm looking for something closer to 400 Nm this time.

digifish

Wraith
4th September 2012, 03:38 PM
I am addicted to torque ... ;)

I'm looking for something closer to 400 Nm this time.

digifish

I hear you, I've always loved the seat of the pants push with just the right amount of power putting it to work :)

I'm now also part of the oiler bridgade my new everyday ride is a Merc oiler and I absolutely love the torque on this thing - 500nm almost immediately off idle provides a beautiful base for daily driven situations...

I have the option of factory ramping it up to as much as nearly 700nm, but it's already more than enough as is, exactly 5 months on and nearly 10,000km travelled distance I couldn't be happier :)

digifish
4th September 2012, 03:55 PM
I hear you, I've always loved the seat of the pants push with just the right amount of power putting it to work :)

I'm now also part of the oiler bridgade my new everyday ride is a Merc oiler and I absolutely love the torque on this thing - 500nm almost immediately off idle provides a beautiful base for daily driven situations...

I have the option of factory ramping it up to as much as nearly 700nm, but it's already more than enough as is, exactly 5 months on and nearly 10,000km travelled distance I couldn't be happier :)

Yes that's the point. For 99% of driving that we do (around town, up to the speed limit) the diesel shove in the back and low fuss while doing it is pretty much perfect. Also great for long distance cruising.

digifish

Wraith
4th September 2012, 06:15 PM
Yes that's the point. For 99% of driving that we do (around town, up to the speed limit) the diesel shove in the back and low fuss while doing it is pretty much perfect. Also great for long distance cruising.

digifish

Absolutely - love it :)

Been waiting for the new generation of diesels to come along before converting, always liked the efficiency and torque they offered, now finally they also give true high performance and clean no smoke or soot running drawbacks...

I still also fancy the rev happier petrols, but limit their use to weekend/fun runs, I'm all for the new oiler as a daily hands down !!!

Are you going to try out the new AJ oilers digifish ??

If so, also try out the Beemers and others which have the new generation of high efficiency twin turbo oilers, if not for anything else just to get a comparison of how the Opel stacks up, maybe even try the VW's which feature the new gen oilers, that should give a good comparison...