PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new car

patton
11th August 2007, 01:26 PM
Hey guys,

Ive got a deposit on a new Astra SRI Turbo and the salesman had to order one from another dealership (he wouldnt tell me which one)....I told him I wanted to see the car before I went ahead with the full purchase as im generally not comfortable spending over $30k on something I havent seen first.

I went and saw it last week at the back of the dealership where they keep the new cars and I must say it was one of the dirtiest cars there.
It had dust covering the duco and the wheels had been through the mud. There was also a scuffmark in the footwell area probably from the truck driver that transported the car. He guaranteed theyd have the car looking magnificent but yeah theyve got some work to do.

Obviously they arent going to detail it until I commit to the purchase but is this normal?

I must admit i do pay attention to detail but would you expect anything less than perfection in a new car?

Also what would you say the maximum amount of kms on a new car is acceptable?
Obviously it wont have 0k's on it but how many is too much? I forgot to check it when i saw the car.

Cheers.

MK
11th August 2007, 01:31 PM
that is normal...its what you get on the day of the delivery that counts :)
the km's should be well below 500km! and i mean well below!

that is my opinion :)

EL BURITO
11th August 2007, 01:39 PM
requirments by most dealers wont sell a car with over 50km as new but then there is the abilty to reset the OD on opels when under 100kms.

I wouldnt let a dealer clean my new car again after the previous experiance, i would want to pick it up will all the protective plastics still atached, (yes this can be done i had it writen into the contract but backed out). I have seen out the back of the dealership thou and no one cleans the cars till there sold

EL BURITO
11th August 2007, 01:42 PM
BMW's with more than 50km have to be sent back to the factory aparently. read that on here

xplosv57
11th August 2007, 04:09 PM
BMW's with more than 50km have to be sent back to the factory aparently. read that on here

Yep thats correct, BMW's cannot have more than 50km on the car on the delivery bay if sold as a new car!!! If it does have more, then its sent back to either the HQ or to the docks!!!!

The dirt side of things, just remember the car has to be transported from O/S to our shores, then once off the boat can be sitting in the docks for ages, then has to be transported by truck to your dealer!!!

After all that travel, of course the car is going to be filthy!!! Hence the detailing department spend a good few hours making it look great when you pick it up!!! It's not like someone has been driving it through dirt and mud or anything!!!

bornwild
11th August 2007, 06:06 PM
I specifically asked them not to clean my car. Don't want some kiddo cleaning my car...

KID_SRi
11th August 2007, 07:33 PM
The dirt side of things, just remember the car has to be transported from O/S to our shores, then once off the boat can be sitting in the docks for ages, then has to be transported by truck to your dealer!!!

You are correct Steve.
When New Cars are Brought in from OS, They sit in a Massive Gravel/Mud Holding Compound in Quarantine for up to 2 months until AFP(Federal Police) & Customs have had there chance to X-Ray & Sniffer Dog Check. Yes, More than likely your driving a Car that a Sniffer Dog has already walked on the seats. Then they're moved on to Motor Manufacturer to add(in our case, Holden Badges) check to see if the Vehicle complies to ADR's then onto Car Frieghter Companys to consign to Dealers.

But like already Mentioned. As along as its in Perfect Condition & Everything your order after sales is fitted when you take delivery,Thats all that matters.

patton
11th August 2007, 10:07 PM
Cheers guys I'll be having a good look at the car before I take the keys.... I wonder what they do with all those Opel badges? I thought they would try to sell them back to us after ripping em off? :shifty:

USC
11th August 2007, 10:59 PM
I think they come without badges...

oh, yeh, be very careful with the rubber mould around the rear tailgate glass if you r buying a 3door astra as they tend to lift and little bits break off around the edges if they are too harsh while cleaning it...

also, check for stone chips on the paint work that they just fill in with cheap lacquer, check for scratches on silver dashboard, check for marks on rubber trims outside, check for brake dust on alloys, check for scratches on windows from removing stickers, check for scratches underneath the front bumper, check for tear in rubber seal around doors, check for leaking tail light...etc

bornwild
11th August 2007, 11:03 PM
Leaking tail light?!

USC
11th August 2007, 11:16 PM
yes my friend, unfortunately, both my tail lights leak! They get full of moisture every morning or when it`s raining...Holden said they will replace them under warranty...