PDA

View Full Version : changing chrome wheels to painted

Jackson
7th August 2007, 04:34 PM
Hey Guys,

question: i have some chrome rims that i really like the design of but hate the chrome.

does anyone know of a place in sydney that can machine them and paint them black or gunmetal or something ?

cheers :)

Wraith
7th August 2007, 05:14 PM
In Sydney no, if you were in Melb. I could help......

It's definitely something that can be done though.

Probably best thing to do, if no one else here has any info, is to look up places that do that sort of thing in your yellow pages and enquire/go from there - I recommend using a place that's experienced in this sort of thing or one that can show you proven examples of their work :)

low astra
7th August 2007, 05:16 PM
new wheels will probably be cheaper, its rather expensie to strip chrome

Ginge
7th August 2007, 05:18 PM
giday. i have thought of getting chrome stripped off in a few different ways. but the best decision, unless chrome is flaky, is to paint over the chrome. you just get it ready as u would a car panel. this is what i will be doing when i get some time, and money. so unless chrome is ****ed u can paint over it.

matt

Wraith
7th August 2007, 05:20 PM
You might get lucky......here in Melb. I know a back yarder (he's very well set up with all the right gear and he does good work too) who'll do a set of 17's for about 100-115 bucks each.

You could get a new set for the same or less, but as Jackson said, he really likes and wants to retain these rims ;)

Bill_G
8th August 2007, 09:16 AM
does anyone know of a place in sydney that can machine them and paint them black or gunmetal or something ?I suggest that you give Brookvale Powder Coating a call, and ask Dean (the owner and my brother-in-law) for a rough estimate. Sorry I don't have his number handy so you'll have to look it up in the Sydney phone book, but if you do give him a call, tell him that you're doing so on my recommendation, and he'll look after you very well indeed.

At my recommendation, Greg K took his 4 x 17" GSi alloys there recently to have refurbished and repainted in white (for his red Vectra B) and he was extremely impressed with the workmanship, as well as the fact that he was only charged around half the prices being quoted by other repairers. :)

blueraven
8th August 2007, 02:37 PM
i was just going to suggest a powder coater.

They will be very familiar with sandblasting paint/chrome off things and then powdercoating them. i had soem motorbike wheels done ages ago for about $100 a wheel.

digifish
8th August 2007, 04:26 PM
i was just going to suggest a powder coater.

They will be very familiar with sandblasting paint/chrome off things and then powdercoating them. i had soem motorbike wheels done ages ago for about $100 a wheel.

Just a cautionary note, be sure whatever technique is used does not alter the strength of the rims. Failures can start at micro-pits/stress points etc

digifish

xplosv57
8th August 2007, 06:05 PM
Yeah a light sandblasting wiill remove the chrome and also keep the rim free from damage!!

JohnBu
9th August 2007, 12:28 PM
You might get lucky......here in Melb. I know a back yarder (he's very well set up with all the right gear and he does good work too) who'll do a set of 17's for about 100-115 bucks each.

You could get a new set for the same or less, but as Jackson said, he really likes and wants to retain these rims ;)

Ange, does he also repair curbed rims?

if so, PM me his number

no, it wasn't my fault!