PDA

View Full Version : GOLF GT - Dyno

RudeOne
6th August 2007, 01:25 PM
Did anyone see the review on that channel 9 car program on saturday about lunch time?

They dyno'd a New 1.4 golf GT supercharged+turbo, it produced 125kw atw, the car is only rated to 125kw at the engine.

They thought it might have been a fluke, so they rang vw and got another, at first it only produced 97kw atw, which is about what they expected, they put it up again and got 120kw atw again.

So 125kw atw should be about 147-150kw at the fly, making it as powerful as a GTI, for 5k less. its a nice car, it should sell very well.

USC
6th August 2007, 01:42 PM
Top gear says its rubbish...

Calibrated
6th August 2007, 01:49 PM
you just clearly stated why its rubbish..its inconsistent...
as jeremy says:

its about as comfortable as falling down the stairs...with leg braces on

RudeOne
6th August 2007, 02:40 PM
you just clearly stated why its rubbish..its inconsistent...
as jeremy says:

LOL.

The technology obviously needs work, I am trying to remember who else tried this before and failed..

Good in theory, not so good in practice.

The channel 9 reviewer claims it was a very smooth power line in the actual drive and she couldn't tell when the two forced inductions kicked in. The dyno also proved this.

Anyway, Id love to go test drive one myself. infact, i might just go and do it this weekend if time permits :)

sasrit
6th August 2007, 02:56 PM
I'm interested in one of these cars as well, but a new one with the options I want (DSG + roof) is around $42k on the road, which puts it in the same bracket as a 1 year old Gti........hmmmmmm a bit pricey (both of them!!!!!!)

Wraith
6th August 2007, 03:15 PM
Did anyone see the review on that channel 9 car program on saturday about lunch time?

They dyno'd a New 1.4 golf GT supercharged+turbo, it produced 125kw atw, the car is only rated to 125kw at the engine.

They thought it might have been a fluke, so they rang vw and got another, at first it only produced 97kw atw, which is about what they expected, they put it up again and got 120kw atw again.

So 125kw atw should be about 147-150kw at the fly, making it as powerful as a GTI, for 5k less. its a nice car, it should sell very well.

Yes I taped, then viewed the program and can believe it !

The figures were more like 121kw atw for the 1st GT (red car) and then a best of 117kw atw for the 2nd GT (silver car)

As we all know forced inducted engines can give different output readings from one run to another, compared with atmo engines.

The reason I say I can believe it, is because I've done some researching into the 1.4ltr twin charged engine and have found that VW are 'puposely' under selling it, so as not to undermine their 2.0ltr TFSI engine equipped cars !!!

I remember mentioning this in another thread where the 1.4ltr twin charger engine was talked about.

xplosv57
6th August 2007, 04:14 PM
Yeah that test was done at my school, was very impressive result by the VW's!!!

However a dyno result can vary between dynos, the real test is out on the street or on the track!!!!

digifish
6th August 2007, 04:21 PM
Yeah that test was done at my school, was very impressive result by the VW's!!!

However a dyno result can vary between dynos, the real test is out on the street or on the track!!!!

Yes I would have liked them to ask for another GT and a GTi for comparison. Edit: BTW 5th gear liked the GT...I'd trust them begore Clarkson any day.

digifish

bornwild
6th August 2007, 04:30 PM
Don't take german figures as flywheel figures. As far as I'm aware, the DIN states that power figures are at the wheels. Hence an M5 will dyno 370kW

xplosv57
6th August 2007, 04:46 PM
1/2 right, DIN power is the German flywheel power but its still measured from the flywheel, it's rated in metric power rather than the conventional mechanical power!!!

bornwild
6th August 2007, 05:31 PM
1/2 right, DIN power is the German flywheel power but its still measured from the flywheel, it's rated in metric power rather than the conventional mechanical power!!!

Ah bugger me, there you go. Though I'm pretty certain some companies do state the power figures from the wheels. Like for example the Merc SL65...quite reasonable for it to have 450kW at the wheels if you ask me.

xplosv57
6th August 2007, 05:38 PM
Hmm who knows, ive never heard of manufacturers quoting at the wheel power, may have to investigate the SL65 you mentioned!!!

P.S. i wish i was there for the VW filming, would've had a go at that clown Morley!!!

bornwild
6th August 2007, 05:40 PM
I'm just guessing for that merc, I don't know whether it's at the wheels :D

rjastra
6th August 2007, 06:08 PM
The regular GTi 2L TSFI also returns dyno figures higher than expected. As do the Polo Gti. Seems VW understates its power figures.

Calibrated
6th August 2007, 07:32 PM
He means Front Wheel kW (fwkw). :)
oh ok..my bad..:o
thats still a low reading though

SSS_Hoon
6th August 2007, 07:57 PM
The regular GTi 2L TSFI also returns dyno figures higher than expected. As do the Polo Gti. Seems VW understates its power figures.

Yeah i belive they do understate the power figures.

Take our GTI it has been 2 diff dyno's and made 126fwkw and 126.6fwkw stock, and have 147kw, yet the astra G with same 147kw are lucky if they make 115fwkw stock.

I think they do this so when they update or bring out a special edition version of the car there is not much they have to do to get it up in power(remap only maybe)

But i do think that the 125fwkw is a tad high and maybe it was done in 3rd gear or just a happy dyno as i would put them around the 100-115fwkw mark.

Still not a bad figure for a little 1.4l engine with a fair amount of torque too for the size of it, heard a rumour that the Pogo GTI will have a twin charger engine in maybe 1.6 or 1.8l version in it next that would be intersting for sure, if only they were as good on fuel as VW claim they are.

SSS_Hoon

Calibrated
6th August 2007, 08:29 PM
, yet the astra G with same 147kw are lucky if they make 115fwkw stock.

What??? i have never heard of a G OPC making such low power atf.
unless you mean atw. which i have still not heard of that low..:confused:

MatsHolden
6th August 2007, 08:32 PM
What??? i have never heard of a G OPC making such low power atf.
unless you mean atw. which i have still not heard of that low..:confused:

He means Front Wheel kW (fwkw). :)