PDA

View Full Version : Interesting site

rjastra
3rd August 2007, 11:08 AM
http://www.crashprevention.com.au/index.html

xplosv57
3rd August 2007, 12:42 PM
This may have been useful to me before this morning!!

reedaaron
3rd August 2007, 12:49 PM
what happened this morning??

xplosv57
3rd August 2007, 01:02 PM
LOL yeah had a bit of an accident, dont really wanna go into it...

bornwild
3rd August 2007, 02:02 PM
LOL yeah had a bit of an accident, dont really wanna go into it...

You screwed up didn't you? And now you're scared to tell us cause the missus will spank your ass until it bleeds.....damn straight

btm
3rd August 2007, 02:28 PM
You screwed up didn't you? And now you're scared to tell us cause the missus will spank your ass until it bleeds.....damn straight

he may like that :p

Wraith
3rd August 2007, 02:53 PM
mmmm curious site.

Steve, hopefully nothing too bad to yourself and your car....

reedaaron
3rd August 2007, 03:01 PM
fair enough.. accidents suck.. and so does getting your ass spanked until it bleeds..

cbrmale
3rd August 2007, 05:34 PM
I did most of all my early driving (riding) on motorcycles, and to survive on two wheels you must ride defensively all of the time. Defensive driving means you place your car on the road in such a way that others can see you, or you look for avoidance space in case the other driver hasn't seen you. Eye contact is a key attribute, you must make eye contact at each intersection, even when you are on a main road.

It doesn't mean going slow, indeed sometimes it can be safer to speed up and close a gap to make sure that another car who may take half-a-chance has that option closed off to him or her.

It became second nature to me very quickly, and I remember taking a few driving lessons for my car licence and my instructor being amazed by the way I was doing this out of habit at 18 years old!

I agree with the site concept of speeding not being the most dangerous issue on the road; in my early days of driving we used to go everywhere at 130! No radar, no speed cameras, sometimes amphometer tapes on the road when you were entering a country town. Between towns, you went as fast as was appropriate. However, speed is dangerous if other drivers expect a car to close within a given speed range, and a single car is doing way above that speed range. For example, 130 in a 110 zone is certainly quite safe, but 160 may catch out a driver changing lanes, checking his mirror and not expecting another car to close so quickly. This is why, on high-performance motorcycles, we generally didn't go faster than about 130 or so.

xplosv57
3rd August 2007, 07:19 PM

You're a tool...

mmmm curious site.

Steve, hopefully nothing too bad to yourself and your car....

Cheers Ange, im fine mate thanks for asking, car is a bit worse for wear though!!

But back on topic, yeah its a good site, very graphic but can teach a thing or two for me definetely and hopefully others too!!!

bornwild
3rd August 2007, 07:56 PM
Don't worry I won't tell her :D

digifish
5th August 2007, 05:06 PM
http://www.crashprevention.com.au/index.html (http://www.crashprevention.com.au/index.html)

The problem I have with this site is it's implying that the authorities are inappropriately focusing on speed as an issue (~32% of all crashes) and that drink-driving (31%) and not wearing a seatbelt (20%), inattention in driveways and intersections are major causes too.

They suggest that the laws are 'dumbed down'...and there is a 'truth'...

http://www.crashprevention.com.au/main_pages/cpa_awful_truth.html (http://www.crashprevention.com.au/main_pages/cpa_awful_truth.html)

However last time I looked drink driving and not wearing a seatbelt also get you into big trouble with Mr Plod and are regularly the focus of campaigns, as are fatigue, stop-signs etc...

I think it's disingenuous at best to say the authorities are somehow skewing the law.

...and while I think we need some clear definitions of 'speed' and it's role in accidents, 32% certainly looks like a major factor to me and worthy of modification as it's cheap (no, profitable!) to police :)

digifish

pred8r
6th August 2007, 01:31 AM
Statistics can be made to read how you want

ie. Did speed have a facton in the accident? yes, why? because he was moving. meaning, if you wernt moving their probably wouldnt have been an accident. Also doesnt cover whether the 'speed' was within the limit or not, just that it was a factor.
Similar to all the gun fatality stats they raved on about, they didnt differentiate between a malicious shooting (murder/homicide) and suicide, just that the death involved a gun.

I think the majority of accidents are caused by either fatigue or distraction, neither of which can be tested for and can rarely proven anyway, as you cant test for either. The adrenaline rush alone would eliminate the fatigue.

Eg guy hits a tree, fatality; Was he asleep with the cruise control on, or did he swerve from something? If there is no witnesses or evidence to prove otherwise, all they can say is that speed was a factor in it.

MitchSRi
6th August 2007, 04:42 AM
Harold Scuby from Pedestrian Council would love that site.

Its a fact and a well know one (that those without blinkers know). Speed as a sole component can't, and never can kill someone.

However it can be a contributing factor.

In an ideal world with ideal stats, there should NEVER be a recorded death due to "speed", because it cannot happen.

Inability to control a vehicle, inattention, chopping and changing lanes, not driving to conditions, they'll all kill you, and speeding will exacibate whatever you hit (at the bottom line), but at the end of the day only one thing causes an accident to occur. A person behind a wheel.

A speeding vehicle doesnt cause an accident... a person who cant control said vehicle at that speed does.

Calibrated
6th August 2007, 10:54 PM
Harold Scuby from Pedestrian Council would love that site.

Its a fact and a well know one (that those without blinkers know). Speed as a sole component can't, and never can kill someone.

However it can be a contributing factor.

In an ideal world with ideal stats, there should NEVER be a recorded death due to "speed", because it cannot happen.

Inability to control a vehicle, inattention, chopping and changing lanes, not driving to conditions, they'll all kill you, and speeding will exacibate whatever you hit (at the bottom line), but at the end of the day only one thing causes an accident to occur. A person behind a wheel.

A speeding vehicle doesnt cause an accident... a person who cant control said vehicle at that speed does.
100% correct...now if only the authorities understood that;)

dieselhead
6th August 2007, 11:23 PM
Wanna see an interesting site? Feel the need for more stats? Have a look at this one...

http://www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock.swf

bornwild
7th August 2007, 10:10 AM
Wanna see an interesting site? Feel the need for more stats? Have a look at this one...

http://www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock.swf

Whoa.........:(