PDA

View Full Version : Well Wedesday is D Day - Time to pick up the new Astra and Petrol Question

spikeyboy22
30th July 2007, 09:35 PM
Hey everyone,

Well Wedesday is pick up day of my new Astra SRi Turbo ... Can I have some tips of things I should be checking at pick such as know problems or things that should be there ....

Also I know the petrol that should be 95, do many people use 98 or is it not worth the extra money

Any tips would be great I am so excited ... 2 more sleeps

OZChris
30th July 2007, 09:43 PM
Just my 20c as I do not have a SRi Turbo, we use 98 exclusively in our cars and find that they run smoother and show better economy.

Our recent cars include MINI Cooper S / Mazda 6 MPS and BF2 Fairmont Ghia.

Amazer
30th July 2007, 10:06 PM
I am in a 2000 TS astra and have been using V-Power for the last 6 months or so.

I find the car runs well on it and can do around 5.5L per 100km on just highway driving.

generally I average low 6's with commuting from wollongong to sydney everyday for work with being in traffic

for me I find the 98 Octane fuel better. Avoid Vortex. It used to be good till they changed the formula.

Rob

Tfer
30th July 2007, 10:57 PM
I am in a 2000 TS astra and have been using V-Power for the last 6 months or so.

I find the car runs well on it and can do around 5.5L per 100km on just highway driving.

generally I average low 6's with commuting from wollongong to sydney everyday for work with being in traffic

for me I find the 98 Octane fuel better. Avoid Vortex. It used to be good till they changed the formula.

Rob

Only run Caltex Vortex in the Veccy C..... and found it to be better than Shell or BP.... never can find a Mobil anywhere these days ;)

But yes, running the 98 octane is the way to go! :D

My 2 cents.....

EL BURITO
31st July 2007, 12:13 AM
make sure your kit looks right

colour match. (there has been a Issue previously)

As per normal Scratches and kurbing on wheels and interior.

And yes 98 just find a prand that works for you.

Red AH SRI T
31st July 2007, 10:18 AM
Yes, stick to 98 or V Power racing, which has 5% (or is it 10%) Ethanol in it and it has 100 Octane, although u can't find it in too many places!

Enjoy your car!

GreyRex
31st July 2007, 11:05 AM
I used 98 for the first two tanks, then have used 95 for about the next 4 or 5. I've had mine from new for about a two months. One of the rubber transport blocks was left in the suspension, which I discovered a week later... got that out myself quick smart. Apart from that, nothing else really. Try to pick up the car in the daylight if you can... that would be my main recommendation. Easier to see imperfections and scratches. Hope your seat doesn't start squeaking like i couple of us are experiencing after two or three weeks of ownership.

jsantos
1st August 2007, 02:24 AM
Check your rego sticker?
The date on mine was wrong, the "paid on" date was right however the date it said it was valid to was wrong, was kinda weird s'all good now though.
As for fuel i've only ever put 98 in it i've really got no idea if its better or not, it does make me feel better though so for a few extra bucks a week for peace of mind is worth it to me, The cars petrol tanks specifies min 95 or E10
Does anyone know the octane rating of E10?

USC
1st August 2007, 11:22 AM
when you say rubber left in suspension, do u mean the rubber that sits in the front springs?? Ive noticed mine has them on both sides!! do they need to be removed?

GreyRex
1st August 2007, 11:58 AM
They're basically transport blocks. I had one left in the front suspension. It's a piece of black rubber, about an inch wide and four inches long. It sits on the outside of the spring. If you jack the car up... the spring expands... and it can be pulled out.