PDA

View Full Version : Any point to a rear spolier on a FWD?

jch75
11th June 2004, 09:56 AM
Any point to a rear spolier on a FWD? I would have thought a rear spoiler would cause traction issues.....................any comments?

InsaneAsylum
11th June 2004, 10:08 AM
well it looks pimpin dude, especially on lancers and civics, it helps with downforce too so you can get better rear wheel traction on front wheel drive cars. plus as a bonus, spoilers help you to pick up chicks. girls love spoliers, it's the difference between having a sportscar and not having a sportscar. i think having a blow off valve and chrome rims also adds to the bling factor which translates to even more punnani!!! :D

honestly i don't think we go fast enough on the street to even warrant having a spoiler, hence i don't have one and never will, unless my car starts puling 4 sec 0-100's. and factory and aftermarket plastic or fibreglass spoilers don't even look effective i mean the angle of wind deflection is fvck all.

now go and bolt up a walkinshaw spoiler to an astra or whatever, at least you've got a portable spa bath if you get in and fart, after it's been raining.

Vectracious
11th June 2004, 10:23 AM
You are a farkin laugh Adrian. :D

Most spoilers out there are cosmetic and that is all. At 100 km/h the difference they would make wouldn't be worth a pinch of sh*t, let alone cause traction problems. Which is why when we got the Astra, even though the spoiler looked fantastic, I didn't get it. It's just another thing to look over when you reverse park, and another nook and cranny you have to stick your hands under when you clean the car.

Rhino
11th June 2004, 10:38 AM
Admittedly I thought the spoiler gave the astra Fat Arse.

But I'm not going to option taking something off a car. If it comes with it, it comes with it. Maybe its because it's a turbo and some people might want the spoiler when I resell it...

They definitely do F all!
My favourite is a Carolla with a big Cosworth spoiler on it. 100% fully sick breh!

By the way, were you picking on my avatar?!?! :oops:

RAiMA
11th June 2004, 10:46 AM
Unless the car is used for circuit racing, there wouldn't be much point. The only benefit would be stabilising the car under hard braking from high speeds, that's if the rear was ever twitching.

Molky
11th June 2004, 12:21 PM
Wet the spoiler on your car, and go for a drive, the water will show the airflow. The water just sits there which tells me basically there is no airflow on an Astra rear spoiler. On a race car thats doing over 160kph, it would make a difference, but only a properly designed one at the correct height, angle etc

GOZOFF
11th June 2004, 12:23 PM
Actually the SRi Astra's rear spolier has had wind tunneling tests and has some sort of use other than cosmetic so I read in a article. http://members.aol.com/browrob549/emo/common076.gif

Molky
11th June 2004, 12:36 PM
Thats interesting GOZOFF, can you do the spoiler test for us?

It can also be done with streamers but it may look a bit weird. Maybe because its a couple of inch's higher than a normal Astra/HBD spoiler it may be in that area to do something

Jackson
11th June 2004, 01:50 PM
If your going to put streamers on your spoiler , why not get a playing card and shove it in your mags as well , give it a meaner sound,

hmmmm if only they made spokey dokeys for cars!

Molky
11th June 2004, 02:53 PM
Jackson: as stupid as may sound the streamer method is quite effective, a couple of years ago when parity was a big issue in V8 supercars, there was much debate about the Holden aero package being a lot more efficient than the Fords. As the championship got to barbagallo (about Round 4 I think it was) it had been decided that something had to be done.

To test the rear wing efficiency, a number of these streamers were attached to the rear wings of both a ford and holden, and both cars went out and did several laps, with strategically placed cameras on them. The Commodores wing proved to be quite good with good air flow going over it and making the streamer sfly behind the car in a nice flowing motion. On the Falcon, the streamers were simply stuck hard down onto the upper plain of the rear wing - showing it's airflow over the rear of the car to be an absolute mess.

frankie9fingers
11th June 2004, 03:09 PM
Still, I don't care Jacksons comments are GOLD!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jackson
11th June 2004, 03:24 PM
Hey, was just joking, still it's interesting :)

maybe they got the idea after visiting an air conditioning super store ?

gotta be cheaper than booking some time in a wind tunnel !

are there any wind tunnels in Syd that can be used by public, i have a canoe i want to test, hopefully it's the biggest longest toughest most airodynamic canoe there is :)

Molky
11th June 2004, 03:41 PM
Not sure if there is one in Sydney but even if there was I dare say it would be quite expensive. Another method i've heard of is that they spray the car with fluro paint and run it through the wind tunnel and view it with one of those black lights, to see the way the air is moving over the car, pretty cool stuff

InsaneAsylum
11th June 2004, 03:49 PM
if anyone wants to spray their car fluro, i can hook you up with the black lights and a few fans :D

sparksy
11th June 2004, 04:09 PM
There is a bit of a wind tunnel here in Melbourne.

Espically after I get a few beers and a pie into me.

I would consider renting it out for testing for the right money.

InsaneAsylum
11th June 2004, 04:14 PM
i wouldn't like to be smoking in that tunnel when it starts up :mrgreen:

ultim8DTM5
11th June 2004, 05:44 PM
The Vectra might need a rear spoiler with 300Nm!

InsaneAsylum
11th June 2004, 06:36 PM
yeah watch out for my torque monster :)

Anonymous
11th June 2004, 06:37 PM
The Rear SRi(Astra) Spoiler does Help, But Sweet FA.
It only works 150km/h+ to Hold the Rear Down but F All, I took mine off to see if it Looked better without it. Straight Line No Difference, But Hard Conering the Tail Skated 10 Fold. My SRi Skates hard in the Rear due to Heavy Springs in the Rear coz I hate to say, I was gunna but a Tow Bar on it :oops:
But they do work. Like I said It only Help hold the Rear Down during Cornering, But that can be counter acted. Don't take ya foot off the Loud Pedal :lol:

01CDsedan
11th June 2004, 09:14 PM
The short answer, as others have said, is no.

Most spoilers are for looks only, and nothing else - even those fitted at the factory. They need to be at the right height, right angle, and be of the right shape to have any effect. Even then, at normal speeds, there'd be no difference to your roadholding.

DoomTrooper
11th June 2004, 10:43 PM
i don't have a spoiler and i have actually had the back twitch a bit when breaking hard but whether or not the spoiler would help is debateable

RAiMA
11th June 2004, 11:31 PM
Try increasing the PSI in the front tires to 38 PSI

Seus
12th June 2004, 12:07 AM
i saw a new black vectra today with a spoiler, looked very nice

DoomTrooper
12th June 2004, 10:15 AM
i would increse the psi, i know my dads audi runs on 42 i think which is bloody high but my tyres are already probly illegally bald and i've had them on for 22000, theres a nice bald ring on the outside of the left tyre as well, bloody round a bouts, so i'm trying to make em last till my first rego test

astra_city
13th June 2004, 11:46 AM
Speaking of towbars, I've got one on my car (although havn't changed springs or anything like that specifically for towing) so I can tow my go kart trailer and it looks mean chromed like I had it :) But I'm glad I have got it after being rear ended the other day - saved me a hell of a lot of damage!

DoomTrooper
13th June 2004, 03:09 PM
i remember when the audi TT first came out and when ppl braked from speeds over 250km/h on autobahns they would loose control and thats why every TT has a boot lip spoiler now, just that little thing makes a difference