PDA

View Full Version : The joy of old cars...... (AKA my 'secret' dream hobby)

pred8r
28th July 2007, 03:31 PM
Thursday afternoon;
Get a phonecall, its my cousin, "Can you help me fix an inlet manifold leak?".
He has a HZ 308 panelvan, (used to be mine, which I spent WAY too much money on with people who didnt know what they were doing).

He turned up an hour later with a new gasket set. Out comes the rattlegun, top stripped within 30 mins. We start cleaning all the old gaskets off, I find the problem (which is common in 30yr old 308's) water has corroded through the manifold to a bolthole next to it. Its a writeoff.

Its now 6:30 where do we got one from.....cousins mobile has a contact 'holden parts' he rings it, "Yeah mate got about 6 of 'em"

1½hr later and $100 poorer, return with 'new' manifold and refit it. Fill with water (10:30pm)......."why is there a leak?". There was a tiny pinhole in between 2 boltholes, completely unnoticed. We shall fix it...Selftapper and silicon (the fix for all old engines)....It doesnt go tight, just around and around "Oh no".....Bigger selftapper (10mm).....
Cousin - "We have a problem"....yes...."you know the first selftapper?"....yes...."The hole just collapsed and it fell through the manifold and down inside the head".....Oh......Lets call it a night and have coffee.

Friday
Finish work at 1:30 make a few phonecalls, a few visits to a few wreckers (all found have the same problem or even worse "$250 Mate. Coz thats what they go for on Ebay Mate!!"), get a pricematch. Few more phonecalls.

Walk into Autobarn (Not the cheapest but Rocket Industries is in Sydney and the VPW unit is not good. I saw one at a wreckers that looked brand new and it was corroded out, in the same place as the OEM one);
Edelbrock Performer inlet manifold
Thermostat
Thermostat housing
heater hose
blockoff bungs
another gasket kit
Gasket goo
etc
Is there anything else I need?....."that about covers it"...

My logic was this, Do it right, do it ONCE and with NEW parts , install it all off the car and I 'should' get a few more years before another phonecall. I'm also not interested in having all the work ruined by re-using a second-hand $4 part that stuffed up.
If I'm lucky I get it all done before he gets to my place.

I didn't succeed on the last point, I was mid off-car fitup and he walked in. 10 mins later, he gets fits of the giggles....What?....."I just read the name....How much am I up for?"....You dont want to know (he was still reeling from installing the stuffed one)

Took our time, had some dinner, went out and started. Removed the old unit, found the selftapper, cleaned the gaskets off and went to fit new manifold, Dizzy is in the way, (It was a new one I got custom made to suit the cam/application, when I owned the van. Runs 12-16° of advance, can't remember now)...huh?...The manifold was too high and wont go under the dizzy.....stuff it it can run retarded or half engeged until we sort something out. We turned it and install the manifold. All torqued down I turn the dizzy, there is about .5mm clearance between them YES!!!. Fill car with water.
Still cant remember the static timing, not that it matters, the markings on the timing cover dont go that high anyway, timing is set to about ½" past the last mark...Why is there water everywhere.....F**K NO!!!....its ok, radiator hose leak....Testdrive Time, all goes well...."Did you connect the vacuum advance"....nope, did you?...."nope".....connect the advance on the side of the road, another testdrive....Fantastic....11pm...done.....

Cousin still doesnt know how much it all cost yet......maybe Ill make it an Xmas present.
I did have fun, it was worth it.

I love working on old cars (they are simple), I may even attempt another

........one day.........

SIMid
28th July 2007, 03:56 PM
You sound like Dave that use to own a Calibra, always loved tinkering old cars and his ex-Calibra gave him so many headaches!

I know who I might PM if I get stuck on my Lancia. :p

Wraith
28th July 2007, 04:30 PM
Mate, if I knew this before, I could have offered you some help......

I've still got a 308 manifold handy !!!

It's a 'pollution' model though, from my old VH SL/E 5.0ltr Commodore - which I too replaced with an Edelbrock performer ;)

If you need another, let me know :)

pred8r
29th July 2007, 11:42 AM
Sorry, dont have the confidence or experience to work on stuff that cant afford to sit for 6 months, because I had NFI what i was doing, or replaced completely. I just fiddle and in NO WAY describe myself as a mechanic.

All good, finished on the 308 for a while (I hope).

Next weekend, if I still feel like a challenge, I may disassemble a v6 3800 to find out why its losing water and running like a bag of crap.
Im assuming its;
Blown inlet manifold gasket
blown headgasket
cracked head

I hope that its just an inlet gasket, but it has been running like crap for months and recently got a lot worse and began drinking lots of water.
Suppose the good thing is its not filling the sump with water, I just hope it hasnt been leaking into a one of the cylinders as the car has just sat for a few months now, that would be nasty but its just my luck........

OZChris
29th July 2007, 12:29 PM
Apologies for going a little OT, I love old cars - here's what takes some space in my garage :) Did a bare metal restoration 10 years ago :D

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb72/OZChris/Cars/MKIIA.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb72/OZChris/Cars/DSCN1983a.jpg

Put it on club plates a couple of weeks ago :) (Full reg was killing me)

SIMid
29th July 2007, 11:32 PM
How do club plates work?

OZChris
29th July 2007, 11:55 PM
How do club plates work?

For cars >25 years (I think) or some criteria, you can get club plates (assuming that you are in an affiliated car club). At the moment this allows for club runs (any affliated club) and maintenance/testing. There is talk of up to 90 days a year tracked via a log book.

This suits me at the moment as only use the car a handful of times a year at club plate events :), oh yeah it's about $100 compared with $600 for registration in Vic :D

poita
29th July 2007, 11:56 PM
afaik simon you pay about 1/4 the price of normal rego and allows to to drive it so many k's a yr.
only for meets etc
if you use it as a daily driver and get caught in ur trouble.

SIMid
30th July 2007, 12:09 AM
Cool, just wondering what to do when I get the Lancia ready for the road. ;)

OZChris
30th July 2007, 12:12 AM
Cool, just wondering what to do when I get the Lancia ready for the road. ;)

Best thing is chat with a club (assuming there is a Lancia car club).

The rumoured changes regarding 90 days a year via log book are club free events (these changes have been rumoured for about 12 - 18 months :( )

SIMid
30th July 2007, 12:53 AM
Was with a Lancia club, but all I got was newletters every 3 months. They dont even have an online forum which is useless. So far they have a major meet every 2 years and a Xmas run. Pointless with the club reg then.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and pay full rego.

KID_SRi
30th July 2007, 01:48 AM
I had a Isuzu Bellett on Club Reg. with the Bellett Club, It was a Pain the arse.
You had to have Periodical Modifications from the Era, So automatically that ruled my 1st Bellett Out because it has Later Model SOHC 1800 Engine from a GT Bellett. So I ended getting a Stock Standard Bellett Sedan with less than 50k miles & Club Rego That instead.

platypus
30th July 2007, 08:55 AM
lancia?? burn it!
nice cars... but fire risk aplenty!!
didn't the beta have the trouble in england of breaking away at the firewall under hard launches?

still i'd want one!

SIMid
30th July 2007, 09:29 AM
*LOL*

Na, they crumbled to a brown flour like substance when the rain touched the body work.

Never heard of them catching on fire or breaking away at the firewall.

entice
30th July 2007, 11:24 AM
With the Lancia I'd consider joining the Alfa or Maseratti car clubs. If you intend on club rego, look at a club that has many events.
I considered club reg for one of my Fiats, but decided against.. too restrictive.. and have also heard of teh limited use 90 day log book thing.. Hope that they bring that one in.. i'd have a few cars for them!

SIMid
30th July 2007, 03:40 PM
With the Lancia I'd consider joining the Alfa or Maseratti car clubs. If you intend on club rego, look at a club that has many events.

Good idea! Once she's close to registration, I'll check it out. Thanks for the advise!