PDA

View Full Version : Hire Cars In The USA.

Shaun
12th July 2007, 06:41 PM
After recieving an email from friends in the usa i need to hire a car for my upcoming trip starting next thursday. (Due to one of there cars have died on them Dahm Saturn's. Thank god they are going to an Opel built product in 08)

Any one got any suggestions ? Thinking maybe something the size of a Dodge Caliber or a Jeep Compass (Driven both here and are decent size car for the travelling i will be doing.)

xplosv57
12th July 2007, 06:59 PM
Bugger that, go all out and hire a Vette!!!!!!!!!

Shaun
12th July 2007, 07:03 PM
Bugger that, go all out and hire a Vette!!!!!!!!!

I thought of that but there are 3 of us travelling. If i could obtain a car through work ( I work Daimler Chrysler Or as we are now known Daimler AG) i would go for that option but i dont think i can.

If there were only two of us travelling i would go for a Crossfire more then likely.

Red AH SRI T
12th July 2007, 07:27 PM
How about a Chevrolet Aveo?

LMAO!

Shaun
12th July 2007, 08:05 PM
How about a Chevrolet Aveo?

LMAO!

What is that Kurt? if the Saturn Astra's were on the market and a Hire company had them i would go for one of them. So far the Caliber or Compass is leading the way. Need something thats practical for baggage of 3 people.

damienhelen
12th July 2007, 08:07 PM
hire a "Grange"

Shaun
12th July 2007, 08:09 PM
Searched it... Smart Ass.. its a Holden Barina / Daewoo Kalo's.... Need something practical in size for baggage, remembering i wont be travelling light because im going for 2.5 weeks. The smallest car i have found so far is a Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio. both would be too small. Next size up is a Caliber it seems which is a med size car .

MatsHolden
12th July 2007, 08:09 PM
What is that Kurt?

Daewoo Kalos/TK Barina

What about a Chev Cobalt Coupe? Got the Opel 2.2L.

Shaun
12th July 2007, 08:13 PM
Daewoo Kalos/TK Barina

What about a Chev Cobalt Coupe? Got the Opel 2.2L.

Looking at that now.. depends on what the rental company's have in stock. Cobalt has a Supercharged model i noticed..

Im really thinking the Compass or Caliber are going to be what i end up getting...

pred8r
12th July 2007, 08:14 PM
Magnum
http://www.motorweb.no/artikler/nyheter/2003-03-04/2003-03-04-Dodge-Magnum-SRT-8-Sports-T-01.jpg

Charger perhaps
http://www.lemonlawvehicle.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/dodge-charger-srt8.jpg

damienhelen
12th July 2007, 08:14 PM
Mercedes S320 CDi Saloon

Shaun
12th July 2007, 08:15 PM
Magnum
http://www.motorweb.no/artikler/nyheter/2003-03-04/2003-03-04-Dodge-Magnum-SRT-8-Sports-T-01.jpg

Charger perhaps
http://www.lemonlawvehicle.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/dodge-charger-srt8.jpg

If im able to get a car through work i would prehaps ask for something like that considering fuel is cheap in the USA. (Well compaired to here SRT8 300C hear i come....)

MatsHolden
12th July 2007, 08:17 PM
Mercedes S320 CDi Saloon

Nah it's gotta be American! For the full American experience. lol Save the German taxi's for Germany.

Shaun
12th July 2007, 08:21 PM
Nah it's gotta be American! For the full American experience. lol Save the German taxi's for Germany.

German Taxi's.... In Italy they Use E Class Benz for taxi's... Found that out last year.....

Seen a Nitro today. One of the Press Car's We have ... Black with 20 inch rims.. Man they look good.

damienhelen
12th July 2007, 08:25 PM
G6 GXP Pontiac?

bill142
12th July 2007, 10:14 PM
If you want to fit in, get a H2 hummer with spinners.

EL BURITO
12th July 2007, 10:24 PM
If you want to fit in, get a H2 hummer with spinners.
lol good one.

the 300c would be a good one for lots of driving.

go continue to beg work

Vectracious
12th July 2007, 10:26 PM
Ford Crown Victoria - you want authentic american motoring shaun, go for a Crown Vic - you might just get hailed for a fare though :p

Shaun
12th July 2007, 10:37 PM
Ford Crown Victoria - you want authentic american motoring shaun, go for a Crown Vic - you might just get hailed for a fare though :p

TAXI....!!!!

Guys i would go for something big and expensive and flashy but my friends in the US are Uni Students so a Budget has to be met. Compass / Caliber is about $139 USD for 3 days. Not a bad price. Next cheapest is a Kia Rio . Although there is nothing wrong with the Rio i dont it will cut it with 3 adults and atleast 3 items of baggage in the boot.

btm
13th July 2007, 09:10 AM
get a 300C

that's exactly what i got for my trip from Vegas to LA

very roomy and comfortable

Shaun
13th July 2007, 10:09 AM
What was the price to hire though BTM?? I have tried to get one through work to drive for a weekend but havent been able to at this point.

oneightoo
13th July 2007, 10:11 AM
buy a an old cadilac and drive around the country..

Shaun
13th July 2007, 10:14 AM
buy a an old cadilac and drive around the country..

I want something reliable Matt.

oneightoo
13th July 2007, 10:17 AM
an unreliable car is part of the american experience :p

btm
13th July 2007, 10:41 AM
What was the price to hire though BTM?? I have tried to get one through work to drive for a weekend but havent been able to at this point.

we were upgraded for free so it was still pretty cheap. there were 4 of us and so from memory we were only paying like US$10-15 each/per day

bargain :)

Shaun
13th July 2007, 10:51 AM
Who did you hire the 300C from Bryan?

btm
13th July 2007, 11:09 AM
now that's pushing the memory bank a bit too far... it was a few years back. i'll ask one of my mates to see if they remember.

but we hired from vegas, not LA

platypus
15th July 2007, 01:21 PM
why not just look at the websites?
try http://www.alamo.com/
or all the normal options like budget, avis, hertz etc

you'll only be able to hire an option most of the time and not a make... just pick the size you need..

2.5 weeks, for 3 people you'll only need 3 duffle bags, or 2 suitcases, more than plenty for even an astra, unless you need to take equipment there!

even with suit bags, and hand luggage it won't take that much room!!!

remember 32kg allowance!!

pred8r
15th July 2007, 02:45 PM
The magnum is the same as the 300c touring. Different bolt on front panels.

Shaun
15th July 2007, 04:02 PM
why not just look at the websites?
try http://www.alamo.com/
or all the normal options like budget, avis, hertz etc

you'll only be able to hire an option most of the time and not a make... just pick the size you need..

2.5 weeks, for 3 people you'll only need 3 duffle bags, or 2 suitcases, more than plenty for even an astra, unless you need to take equipment there!

even with suit bags, and hand luggage it won't take that much room!!!

remember 32kg allowance!!

Yeah i know about the weight limits. 20kg for Europe....
Caliber is what the class as a med size car. next one under it is a Kia Rio or a Hyundai Accent.

Both in my opinon are too small . So Caliber is looking like the choice and at 800 aud for 3 weeks its not a bad price.

Shaun

pred8r
15th July 2007, 04:43 PM
If it makes you feel like home - Pontiac GTO

oneightoo
16th July 2007, 09:02 AM
now that would be fun!

rjastra
16th July 2007, 10:14 AM
Word of wisdom... See who you employer's rental agency of choice is. They will usually have a discount number you can quote to reduce your rate to a corporate one. It will also usually include liability and accident insurance which will save you a bundle.

With Avis its called a "wizard" number.

Next, never go for the small car range. They will invariably be povo-spec (much more so than here). Go for a Taurus, Camry etc class at the very least. Actually, a Camry would be your best bet.

Shaun
16th July 2007, 10:30 AM
Word of wisdom... See who you employer's rental agency of choice is. They will usually have a discount number you can quote to reduce your rate to a corporate one. It will also usually include liability and accident insurance which will save you a bundle.

With Avis its called a "wizard" number.

Next, never go for the small car range. They will invariably be povo-spec (much more so than here). Go for a Taurus, Camry etc class at the very least. Actually, a Camry would be your best bet.

On the Caliber i dont think there is much of a lower spec then our base entry level model.

But thats not a bad idea.. I have a card that is ment to actually give us discount through work. well i have applyed for it but it still hasnt come yet.

Shaun

bornwild
18th July 2007, 10:19 AM

You're insulting all of us by calling a Merc a German Taxi.

That imply's that the standard of living in Australia compared to Germany is so poor that we can't even afford to drive what they use as taxis there......Get it??:clap:

EL BURITO
18th July 2007, 10:44 AM
You're insulting all of us by calling a Merc a German Taxi.

That imply's that the standard of living in Australia compared to Germany is so poor that we can't even afford to drive what they use as taxis there......Get it??:clap:
but is not a Mer in Germany along the same lines as we see VW over here. given that VW (the people car) is the same as Holden here.

(dose that make sence)

bornwild
18th July 2007, 03:59 PM
but is not a Mer in Germany along the same lines as we see VW over here. given that VW (the people car) is the same as Holden here.

(dose that make sence)

Errr No, the Merc is considered the same in Germany as it is here.....it's a high-end car. The Volkswagen, Opel brands are considered like a Holden or Ford here.

OPC
18th July 2007, 04:35 PM
merc's suck anyway...good if ya wanna get car jacked in USA

shaun see if they have the turbo mini in the states...

dont get anything too flash that someone wants to take it...