PDA

View Full Version : Astra Oiler V VXR

VZKOOP
11th July 2007, 09:27 PM
Not sure if this one has been up before......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo987X-Au48
Interesting result, not unpredicted but damn close.

EL BURITO
11th July 2007, 09:31 PM
yes. but its a good comparasion. just want a desiel coup'

Shaun
11th July 2007, 09:49 PM
888 Motorsport CDTi are tuned out too 147kw and has had many changes made with its Suspension and Brakes. VXR is standard

VZKOOP
11th July 2007, 10:01 PM
888 Motorsport CDTi are tuned out too 147kw and has had many changes made with its Suspension and Brakes. VXR is standard
Errr, standard?
Like a HSV R8 is a standard Commodore?

lampshade
11th July 2007, 10:40 PM
Depends on what is defined by standard?

The Vxr is made to it's spec at the production factory.

The 888 is a ltd editon car from U.K dealers Thurlby who bought 25 cdti's of each colour and then added the wheels/brakes etc etc to the car before selling them on as a ltd edition car.

So as I see it the Vxr is a standard factory produced car but the 888 is not.

VZKOOP
11th July 2007, 11:08 PM
I would say neither are 'standard'. The VXR is an enhanced vehicle built on the Astra platform. It has enhanced suspension, brakes, bodykit, turbo, etc. In fact the VXR badge comes from Vauxhalls motorsport activities.

It's a great car. I sat in one today and....... well let's just say lucky I was wearing my comfortable fit jeans.

EL BURITO
12th July 2007, 12:24 AM
I would say neither are 'standard'. The VXR is an enhanced vehicle built on the Astra platform. It has enhanced suspension, brakes, bodykit, turbo, etc. In fact the VXR badge comes from Vauxhalls motorsport activities.

It's a great car. I sat in one today and....... well let's just say lucky I was wearing my comfortable fit jeans.
lol

guess u would look at HSV the same?

Shaun
12th July 2007, 12:46 AM

Your Missing the Point. When you buy a HSV Product you buy it STANDARD form off the Show room floor. HSV build all there products to a Spec with Options . Meaning the cars are a Standard Build across the range accept for the Options such as Leather trim etc.

The VXR is a Standard Build of the Production lineThe above mentioned compoents have been engnieered to suit from the ground up. These car are build down the line as they appear in the show room. The life of the VXR product starts from the moment the shell is pressed. and the items mentioned above with many others are fitted as the vehicles roll down the line. Therefore Making the Car Standard from Factory. The 888 has been Enhanced by Vauxhall's Offical Factory BTCC Championship Race out fit.

If it was a VXRPC VXR and a 888 CDTi you could say that they are both not Standard. But the VXR in the clip is Factory Standard build.

None the less both are great car and the CDTi is one that turns head when you see a diesel pulling that kind of power with very little mods. Not so much the power but more so the torque.

VZKOOP
12th July 2007, 09:16 AM
Your Missing the Point.
You're right. I am missing the point. But I'd prefer to think of the VXR as an enhanced vehicle. I suspect you won't be changing your mind so let's just say we each have a different view of what a 'standard' car is.

guess u would look at HSV the same?
Actually, no. I like the HSV's but that little VXR is different. I think it might be the size. I felt much more part of the car just sitting there. There is so much space in the GTS. It just didn't feel the same inside. I think I'd even go so far as to say I'd buy a VXR before a GTS just on looks and feel......

Wraith
12th July 2007, 09:38 AM
This topics being brought up and discussed before.....I agree with Shaun on this one !

I've owned a HSV V8 and always considered it to be standard, until when and if I modified it.

The VXR is an enhanced AH Astra, but if it's untouched from the showroom floor, as it was made, it is 'stock standard' - plain and simple.

The 888 AH oiler has been 'after market' modified, so it's not 'stock standard' .

Also in this case the 888 has been pretty much 'maxed out' if you do the same to the VXR, the oiler will be way behind in terms of performance, with whatever comparison you do...

aussie_in_london
12th July 2007, 06:22 PM
. I think I'd even go so far as to say I'd buy a VXR before a GTS just on looks and feel......

i wouldnt, for me it would be GTS all the way, VXR cant compare but thats my opinion currently owning a 300bhp VXR. I went out in Tom Walkinshaw's GTS that he brought over to the UK just recently and was instantly blown away and walked away wonting one, after that im not even interested in the VXR8 (clubsport r8) for me GTS or nothing lol i will keep my little astra until i return to Aus : )

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/aussie32/corsapickup013ed.jpg

MatsHolden
12th July 2007, 07:48 PM
I agree with Wraith and Shaun.

Something completely off topic, but why do a lot of people call Walkinshaw, Wilkinshaw? lol

Wraith
12th July 2007, 08:31 PM
i wouldnt, for me it would be GTS all the way, VXR cant compare but thats my opinion currently owning a 300bhp VXR. I went out in Tom Wilkinshaw's GTS that he brought over to the UK just recently and was instantly blown away and walked away wonting one, after that im not even interested in the VXR8 (clubsport r8) for me GTS or nothing lol i will keep my little astra until i return to Aus : )

Welcome to the very wonderful world of V8's my friend ;)

Wraith
12th July 2007, 08:36 PM
Something completely off topic, but why do a lot of people call Walkinshaw, Wilkinshaw? lol

LOL, I think it's got something to do with pommie-lising it, alot of things there are Wilkin - something or other :)

Shaun
12th July 2007, 08:46 PM
i wouldnt, for me it would be GTS all the way, VXR cant compare but thats my opinion currently owning a 300bhp VXR. I went out in Tom Wilkinshaw's GTS that he brought over to the UK just recently and was instantly blown away and walked away wonting one, after that im not even interested in the VXR8 (clubsport r8) for me GTS or nothing lol i will keep my little astra until i return to Aus : )

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/aussie32/corsapickup013ed.jpg

Shane Im Sure with your level of Contacts with In Vauxhall Something could be arranged if you wanted a GTS ???

aussie_in_london
12th July 2007, 09:33 PM
Shane Im Sure with your level of Contacts with In Vauxhall Something could be arranged if you wanted a GTS ???

car is a bit on the big side for me living in central London, wouldnt even get down my access road which the astra just makes it through lol

aussie_in_london
12th July 2007, 09:36 PM
Welcome to the very wonderful world of V8's my friend ;)

nothing new to me mate : )
i actually learnt to drive in my old mans Holden v8 some years ago and grew up with them and my last trip home i had the use of his 04 V8 SS ute for 6 weeks but over here its not really practicle for where i live

Shaun
12th July 2007, 09:41 PM
car is a bit on the big side for me living in central London, wouldnt even get down my access road which the astra just makes it through lol

Yeah i know what you mean .

VZKOOP
13th July 2007, 03:12 PM
i wouldnt, for me it would be GTS all the way, VXR cant compare but thats my opinion currently owning a 300bhp VXR. I went out in Tom Walkinshaw's GTS that he brought over to the UK just recently and was instantly blown away and walked away wonting one, after that im not even interested in the VXR8 (clubsport r8) for me GTS or nothing lol i will keep my little astra until i return to Aus : )

I guess I'm going in the opposite direction. Having lived with the Monaro for 3 years I like the feeling of being more wrapped up in the car and you get that even more with the VXR. The GTS is like a bus inside compared to the VXR and the Monaro for that matter.

Just on the 'standard' question.......
What is an Astra SRi Coupe? A below standard VXR? :D
When you tried describing it (The VXR) to someone would you say 'it's just like the standard CD Coupe...... only, different'?

If it is just a standard Astra then I'm not buying one! :p

oneightoo
13th July 2007, 03:35 PM
lol i will keep my little astra until i return to Aus : )

OT - are you going to bring your VXR with you?

EL BURITO
13th July 2007, 03:36 PM
ok Its a special Astra

EL BURITO
13th July 2007, 03:37 PM
bring both of them

Wraith
13th July 2007, 04:45 PM
nothing new to me mate : )
i actually learnt to drive in my old mans Holden v8 some years ago and grew up with them and my last trip home i had the use of his 04 V8 SS ute for 6 weeks but over here its not really practicle for where i live

Great to hear :)

Similar past to myself, pretty much always had V8's for the past 23 years :)

aussie_in_london
13th July 2007, 05:50 PM

ive been here now for just over 5 years and the VXR will be hitting its second year this coming Dec, plans are to do another 6 years and pay off as much as we can on our apartment in London (the exchange should make us a bit of cash especially with the Olympic site just down the river from us) i doubt i will have the astra by then but good chances it will be what ever the replacement will be in 3 years time, that will probably make the trip home with us : )

aussie_in_london
13th July 2007, 06:36 PM
I guess I'm going in the opposite direction. Having lived with the Monaro for 3 years I like the feeling of being more wrapped up in the car and you get that even more with the VXR. The GTS is like a bus inside compared to the VXR and the Monaro for that matter.

Just on the 'standard' question.......
What is an Astra SRi Coupe? A below standard VXR? :D
When you tried describing it (The VXR) to someone would you say 'it's just like the standard CD Coupe...... only, different'?

If it is just a standard Astra then I'm not buying one! :p

and for me for the past 5 years its been nothing but small cars so going back to something with a bit more room would be nice, but where i am living its not practical but when i return to Aus and the distance between my wifes family on the sunshine coast to mine in Sydney a GTS would make a nice GT for me but i wouldnt consider a monaro myself tbh : )

Astra SRi definatly isnt a below standard VXR but it aint no VXR either lol
i consider the SRi to be more at the top end for sports range were as the VXR is more considered the performance edge, thats more how its looked over here, there is difference and it starts with the chassie-
The VXR chassis is more aggressive than the SRi in every area. Chassis is 15mm lower , front anti roll bar bigger , rebound springs added to front dampers to control roll , new front uprights and steering knuckle raised roll centre up by 30mm. Spring and damper rates increased by 40 and 50%. Rear axle is unique to VXR and effectively invokes oversteer.
Net result is the car steers and pivots ‘sky hook’ style. Is more composed over bumps and delivers a more direct steering feel.
Technically apart from the pick up points for the suspension being the same everything else is different, does that make the SRi a bad chassis and the VXR a better chassis? nope it makes the VXR a more aggressive chassis compared to the SRi , that’s all really.
Engine -
Same block, uprated cams, pistons incorperate oil coiling sprays (yield forged items with the skirts Teflon coated), uprated injectors and rail, uprated turbo & manifold, different intercooler, revised induction and ecu software.

hth

lampshade
13th July 2007, 06:45 PM
FFS Shane,your an Aussie and yet know so much more bout the Astra Vxr than me (And I love Vaux to bits LOL) bloody oath I hate you sometimes:p

Please tell me you never had an astra GTE, so I can get just 1 over on you:(

aussie_in_london
13th July 2007, 07:53 PM
FFS Shane,your an Aussie and yet know so much more bout the Astra Vxr than me (And I love Vaux to bits LOL) bloody oath I hate you sometimes:p

Please tell me you never had an astra GTE, so I can get just 1 over on you:(

John your lucky there mate, GTE was never released in Aus, around that period we had the LD astra made by Nissan (rebadged pulsar) then the astra was dropped in 1990 for a Nova (Toyota carolla lol) until 96 when Holden imported the astra G. From the GTE error i had a Ford Laser TX3 turbo lol
So no mate never owned a GTE : )

Wraith
16th July 2007, 08:08 PM
Sorry Aussie, but just a slight correction - Astra G (TS) was released in August '98 in Australia, not '96 :)

OPC
16th July 2007, 11:30 PM
Sorry Aussie, but just a slight correction - Astra G (TS) was released in August '98 in Australia, not '96 :)

96 in england... your so pedantic (spell)

Wraith
17th July 2007, 08:39 AM
Oh, appologies again, I thought Aussie was talking about Oz release date :confused:

EL BURITO
17th July 2007, 08:48 AM
but we did get the Astra F for the whole of 2 years did we not and that did includ the GSI version

96-98

Wraith
17th July 2007, 09:02 AM
but we did get the Astra F for the whole of 2 years did we not and that did includ the GSI version

96-98

Correct...

In Oz we got the Astra F (TR) from early '96 til July '98 and there was a GSI version available :)