PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth carkit/handsfree units - Which one?

pred8r
11th July 2007, 05:57 PM
New phone has Bluetooth and am considering a carkit. The ones Im looking at are;

Nokia genuine (CK-7W)
Blueant Supertooth Lite
Maybe one of the Parrot units (I like that they have a LCD screen)

Has anyone here had experience with any of these, and how did they find them?

OZChris
11th July 2007, 06:11 PM
My wife runs a Pilot id unit that clips to the visor, similar to the Blueant unit. It comes with a small screen and actually vocalises caller id - pretty neat. Surprisingly it's clearer than the integrated Motorola kit in my car.

Here's a line to d-store: http://dstore.com.au/Mobile-Phones/Pilot-id-Bluetooth-Handsfree-mobile-Car-Kit/970526.html

http://www.citysoftware.com.au/Content/ProductImages/PIL0001_0.jpg
Also, I noticed that SONY now have Bluetooth on their headunits - a nice alternative esp. there is a need to upgrade the stereo :)

pred8r
11th July 2007, 07:41 PM
Also, I noticed that SONY now have Bluetooth on their headunits - a nice alternative esp. there is a need to upgrade the stereo :)

Been through the BT H/U route(Pioneer), wont go there again.:rolleyes:

EL BURITO
11th July 2007, 07:46 PM
can u explain

I was looking at the alpine add on unit

OZChris
11th July 2007, 07:51 PM

can u explain

I was looking at the alpine add on unit

+1 as I will probably need to buy a new head unit shortly :)

pred8r
11th July 2007, 08:41 PM
Basically it was an EXTREMELY poor design and rushed onto the market to be one of the first. wouldnt sync, make/answer calls or stream audio.

They MAY be ok now, but I would ONLY get one if you could try it instore to test the basic functions (like does it connect, answer and hangup)

It was the top of the line pioneer Bluetooth unit (single DIN).

I did a write up on it here somewhere.

I wasnt given the refund based on the phone part not working ("Oh, we know that doesnt work with all phones", guess that makes it a feature then), it was because ASL (Auto volume control) doesnt come on the Australian models and the Salesman said it did. I SPECIFICALLY asked if it had that feature as it was one of the main reasons for buying it, apart from the MP3 and bluetooth parts.

Greggy
11th July 2007, 09:14 PM
We run the Nokia genuine (CK-7W) in all of our cars at work - they work really well, and integrate into the (standard) headunits with little fuss and give very good sound reproduction.

Some fones (Sony Ericcson T610 as an example) proved to be very echo-y for the caller - was quite annoying for the caller..

The mic is good and the little dash answer / hang up button with the volume control is very handy.

Do you guys get any 'parrot' stuff over there, they are quite good as an alternative device.

http://www.drivehandsfree.co.uk/sl3200.html

EL BURITO
11th July 2007, 09:16 PM
ok. well at the moment i just have a blue tooth head set and it hurts my ear + it dies after 5 days and i only use it on my commute (80min per day) (ment to have 200hrs)

but i will still go look at the alpine but hte guy that runs the store is allright when i want to really look at something. I will let u all know

Vectracious
11th July 2007, 09:25 PM
Basically it was an EXTREMELY poor design and rushed onto the market to be one of the first. wouldnt sync, make/answer calls or stream audio.

I actually don't feel so bad buying the DEH6850 for the WRX without the bluetooth feature....
I'll be very interested to hear what people have to say about different units as well as I've been looking for a handsfree kit as well and am not sure between the hard wired stuff or the Blueant type visor clip on units.

poita
11th July 2007, 10:55 PM
blueant supertooth light is awesome, boss has one.
have used it a few times.
the sound from it is great, speaker is very clear.
and you dont have to shout at it so the other person acn hear you.
normal talkin is plenty loud enough for the unit to pick it up.
not 100% on battery life, but as far as i know he only charges it every 2 or 3 weeks.

Brian
12th July 2007, 03:41 PM
I've got a Nokia CK-1W which is the same as the 7W but is only for Bluetooth, the 7W allows for the use of a holder and you don't need the Bluetooth, it's optional. I've had no probs with it and you can hook it up to the head unit so the radio mutes and audio comes through your speakers.

You may be able to pick up a 1W on ebay but they don't make them anymore so you may have to go with the 7W. I assume you have a Nokia phone?

kirssn
13th July 2007, 12:04 PM
I've got a Nokia CK-1W which is the same as the 7W but is only for Bluetooth, the 7W allows for the use of a holder and you don't need the Bluetooth, it's optional. I've had no probs with it and you can hook it up to the head unit so the radio mutes and audio comes through your speakers.

You may be able to pick up a 1W on ebay but they don't make them anymore so you may have to go with the 7W. I assume you have a Nokia phone?

got both of these - both are pretty good though I prefer the 7w which is in my car coz its the only time i ever charge my phone! clear, minimal drop outs etc, is good.

pred8r
13th July 2007, 07:55 PM
And the winner is Blueant Supertooth Lite

$129 (price matched from Crazy Johns, which you needed a coupon for)

Fantastic unit, paired straight away. Its loud at my end, Mrs Pred says its very clear at her end of the phone.

It has a mini usb plug for charging, which is great as its the same as my GPS unit and the Imate.

poita
13th July 2007, 09:00 PM
good choice mate :)