PDA

View Full Version : Tandem trailer plans

ynmakr
6th July 2007, 06:22 PM
G-day all,

Does anyone have plans for a tandem car trailer, that you can post or email...or maybe a link. I have been lookin' round' the net but every bugger wants ya' to pay, ..c'mon a set of plans for a car trailer someone's gotta' have some ;) it would benefit all of us who know how to use a welder and have access to a metal supplier..:dance:

KID_SRi
7th July 2007, 12:01 AM
Its not hard to make a Trailer.
I hope you have a While to read.
I made a Tandem/Car Carrier from a Stuffed Caravan, Just removed the Caravan Shell & Cut off the Mounting Points leaving the Bare Chassis.
Then got a Sheet of Tread/Checker Plate, Cut it to approx size in the Guilitine @ Dad's(RIP) Work.(Can be done with a Grinder or Oxy) Then made New Brackets & welded them to the chassis for the Plate to weld too. I made the Sides out of 50mm X 20mm RHS Blue Tube. Cut the Uprights x 4 @ the Height I wanted with 22.5 degree Angle on the Base to be welded to the chassis, 22.5 Degree Angle on the Other end to be welded to the Length runners to be cut with the same angle to Make a /-------\ (Sorry about the Dodgy Pic, You get the Idea ;) )

The Leaf Springs, I got a Extra 2 Leaves Added.
Brakes. As the Caravan was a Big Unit, It looked like it had Factory Ford F Series Drums on all 4's.

I hope that gives you some inspiration. :)

SKM_87
7th July 2007, 12:23 AM
thats the best way to make one. dont start from strach. you need to get your a-arm right or your trailer wont tow straight. i can get metal an have a welder. but im in perth so thats a lil usless

ynmakr
7th July 2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks for that KidSri, I'll try and track one down. I want the duel axle trailer and I'll have to make ramps too. Should be cheaper than hiring transport companies to move our cars around.

KID_SRi
7th July 2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks for that KidSri, I'll try and track one down. I want the duel axle trailer and I'll have to make ramps too. Should be cheaper than hiring transport companies to move our cars around.

No Problem.
I forgot to say I used a Tandam Caravan

low astra
8th July 2007, 08:44 AM
use whatever u can find a tandam boat trailer 2nd hand can be got for under $1000 if u are lucky, just have to put in a floor and ramps, but thats not hard