PDA

View Full Version : Captiva V Outlander and my Ultimate Decision

ZC_74
3rd July 2007, 08:04 PM
As requested a bit of a run down on why I decied to buy a Mitsubishi Outlander over a Holden Captiva MaXX.

Reason for Car
My wife is preganant with our second child and we felt that her car wan't going to be big enough. We also went camping a ew weeks ago and that clenched the deal.

Car
Both cars, as most now, sit in that small 4WD/SUV market. I had dearly wanted to buy a Pajero Exceed with all the goodies but when we tested one on the weekend, it came quite apparent that my wife didn't want a big car to drive around day to day. She was going to be the one that mainly drove it so she had to be happy with it.

We then had a few cars in mind. One, the Suzuki Grand Vitara, two, the base Captiva range, three the MaXX and finally the Outlander. I ruled out the Suzuki straight away more because I felt that although a capable 4WD (I used to own one along time ago), the 2.0 engine was not going to be much chop. So, I moved on to Captiva range. I guess the reason I didn't look to hard was that we were already getting out of a Daewoo so why would I want another. That's probably a bit harsh on the girl but you get used to things. I was quite interested in the diesel though. We then went to the MaXX where I really was drawn between it and the Outlander. I obviously had grand ideas of what I could do with the car but somehow it wasn't drawing me in. Then the Outlander. Well. What can I say? I think it drives extremely well in both 4 and 6 cyl guise and we have chosen a the 4CYL model that looks exactly the same as the V6 VRX.

Reasons we Bought Outlander

My wife didn't like the Captiva, any of them. She was very complimentary of the MaXX interior but was hard pressed to pick the difference between the two. Then her comment was the one that steered me away. Have you ever seen a Lexus RX 4WD? It's rear door/glass is sloped back like a normal car rear window. Result - depleted rear storage, and when you buy a smaller 4WD, space is a premium factor
5-10 Warranty. 5 year factory warranty and 10 year powertrain warranty. Nice piece of mind.
Drive. The Outlander 4 Cyl has the Mitsubishi CVT transmission. Seemless automatic changes that needs to be felt while driving rather than me trying to explain it.
4WD. It comes from the well know and trusted stable of the great Dakar winning Pajero. I felt that its 4WD capablities would be better than anything similar (ecept the new Freelander 2). It also has a tri mode 2WD, 4WD and 4WD Lock.
Price. Well this possibly debatable and I'm sure there will be comments. To try and compare Apples with Apples - The MaXX would be equivalent to a 5 seat Outlander and is about $200 cheaper :rolleyes: . You can't really compare the two cars after that because we have got a 4 CYL and Holden don't offer the public that option. You get to choose a diesel. Price wise, before our options, it would be on Par with a SX. We however optioned (more on that) which made our car come in at about $44k drive away.
Storage/Space. As I mentioned, the Captiva lost based on it's space/storage. The rear tailgate being sloped like that is a big disappointment. The Outlander has a flat rear. Also, the rear seats can be slided forward (perfect with baby seats) when you are going somewhere so that you can pack even more in.
Options-mmmmmmm Rockford Fosgate mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Yes, we chose the Rockford Fosgate/Sunroof option which was worth just over $2000. We also got a towbar and the dealer had an end of financial year deal where they gave us a Garmin Portable Sat Nav as well. You really do need to add this option I think. If only for resale later. But you will enjoy it. Trust me :D
Ralliart - access to Ralliart badged accessories (and easily - you opel drivers know what I mean).
Leather - OK, so we missed out on it (it was a 1900 option and it was hard enough to convince the boss on the stereo)
Paddle Shift
Button Touch folding rear seatsSummary
For those in the same predicament but hedging towards the Captiva I hope this has given you something to think about. I think the Outlander also looks a bit nicer than the captiva. Check out the attached Japanese tuner

Cheers. let me know if you want to know anything else.

Wraith
3rd July 2007, 08:42 PM
Congrats well done :)

There's nothing to say, you and your missus knew exactly what you wanted and grabbed it.....

IMHO you can't really go wrong with most Japanese makes and Mitsubishi have got the best warranty going to boot ;)

ZC_74
3rd July 2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks Wraith

Apart from the Outlander and the Paj, the Evo would be the only other car from the Triple Diamond I would buy. I'm not a big fan of any of the others.

ope126
3rd July 2007, 08:52 PM
All that cleaning paid off then...:D

digifish
3rd July 2007, 09:05 PM
As requested a bit of a run down on why I decied to buy a Mitsubishi Outlander over a Holden Captiva MaXX.

One of the things I like about this forum and the members is that there is very little blind loyalty to brands...and an eye for value when it appears, and I suppose that's why most of us own Opels of various flavours and are here in the first place...I have no idea what brand my next car will be. It's amazing how many people can't say that :)

digifish

pred8r
3rd July 2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the write-up :) very informative, seen a few of the new shape ones but not up close (FWY at 100km/h) and been curious.

Enjoy the new beast

ZC_74
4th July 2007, 07:15 AM
All that cleaning paid off then...

:D .....

Yeah ended up doing it myself. Took me a good 4 hours total. I'll be giving my car to someone else to do

entice
4th July 2007, 07:49 AM
Very interesting and informative. I must however disagree in one point. I have often wondered about the rear slope tailgates on cars, and persoanlly I have concluded that it doesnt matter. Most of the load goes under the waistband of teh car (ie, when you load it, you tend to fill it up to the glass, and not beyond - well I do anyway).

In teh family amongst all other things we have a Forester and an Astra Wagon. I can tell you that the forester looks like it will gobble up more junk, but it's teh astra that is the choice pick in terms of loading it up.ease of access is much better in teh Astra Wagon than in the Forester (did you consider the (ageing) Forester? I'd be interested in your comments.

But I digress.

A few times I've had to load stuff that goes above the waistband of teh car...and it';s absolutely horrible to drive, with very very limited visibility. Havong to rely on only the side mirrors is horrible...

Anyway, at theend of teh day, a brilliant choice for your needs. I would hope that you've selected rear parking sensors or camera... If not, make that your FIRST accessory/mod....

bornwild
4th July 2007, 09:12 AM
I think you made the right choice. I'd get the Outlander before the MaXX anytime, purely cause the Outlander looks better and seems a better quality car in general.

Good choice you made if you ask me, oh and yeah, how wicked is the feeling with the CVT???

I couldn't believe it....

Anywho, enjoy the outlander, it's perhaps the best car in it's class for the money. :)

ZC_74
4th July 2007, 09:38 AM
Very interesting and informative. I must however disagree in one point. I have often wondered about the rear slope tailgates on cars, and persoanlly I have concluded that it doesnt matter. Most of the load goes under the waistband of teh car (ie, when you load it, you tend to fill it up to the glass, and not beyond - well I do anyway).

In teh family amongst all other things we have a Forester and an Astra Wagon. I can tell you that the forester looks like it will gobble up more junk, but it's teh astra that is the choice pick in terms of loading it up.ease of access is much better in teh Astra Wagon than in the Forester (did you consider the (ageing) Forester? I'd be interested in your comments.

But I digress.

A few times I've had to load stuff that goes above the waistband of teh car...and it';s absolutely horrible to drive, with very very limited visibility. Havong to rely on only the side mirrors is horrible...

Anyway, at theend of teh day, a brilliant choice for your needs. I would hope that you've selected rear parking sensors or camera... If not, make that your FIRST accessory/mod....

I almost agree but obvioulsy you haven't been camping with us ;) .
The car is almost full except maybe a slight hole that I can see through but I use the mirrors. No big deal.

Didn't want a Forester is my honest response to your question.

Parking Sensors. Standard on the car.