PDA

View Full Version : GPS/NAVMANS - Which is best to buy

damienhelen
1st July 2007, 06:40 PM
Hi ppl,

Just want to know what GPS system is best value for $X

And also the interface which is used ie Destinator, TomTom etc etc

Two things which it must have is Travel Speed and Voice Navigation (which are probably standard anyway)

Thanks

bornwild
1st July 2007, 06:41 PM
TomTom.....

OPC
1st July 2007, 10:34 PM
best one and cheapest to my knowledge is the UBD

pred8r
1st July 2007, 10:49 PM
I use a Imate K-jam smartphone with a Bluetooth GPS unit. I DONT recommend this setup as I was reinstalling software about every 3 weeks, just to keep it running.
The Imate is now dedicated to GPS use only, it is now a LOT more stable as its not switching between applications all the time, and I use a Motofone as my 'proper' phone. I have used both Destinator and Tomtom.

Destinator has a few things that are 'good' in the way you use it, but Tomtom wins hands down for 'prettiness' and its UI.

Both will give spoken directions, both have realtime speed and both running the latest map versions will be fairly accurate.

My last look at units, the cheap AWA one from BigW was very good value for money, IIRC it runs a Destinator derivative.

Please note though; The differences between Destinator and Tomtom are much the same as Ford & GM, everyone has their own preference and opinion, but basically they are the same.

Have a looky here (http://austech.info/forumdisplay.php?f=116) for info that may help/confuse you more.

poita
1st July 2007, 10:53 PM
defin the TomTom range, they are a GPS and thats it
they donbt ahve all hte other bits and pieces in there software that slows the others down.
also out of all the brands the least i have hassles with at work

Mainframe_Module
2nd July 2007, 12:53 AM
yeah tomtom are good

both technologically and affordably....i have the new tomtom one.
cheap, affordable, and worth its weight in gold. **** maps - this is so much better.

i dont use it that often, but im 100% glad i bought it, its REALLY handy to have and if im going somewhere far away or where im not sure where everything is or how to get around, it makes me feel safer knowing i have it on hand.

damienhelen
2nd July 2007, 05:08 AM
thanks for your opinions.
Tom Tom sounds like it's the go.

Vectracious
2nd July 2007, 06:56 AM
TomTom is good, but pray that nothing goes wrong with it - their customer service is shit. I know of a couple of people who have had to call up for whatever problem and minimum wait on hold was about 1 hour, and after that 1 hour wait, the CS just told them to reset it. One friend has had the company send her out a new memory card with a new map 4 times now - and her GPS still doesn't work properly.

Tfer
2nd July 2007, 09:01 AM
I have been running a Navman for the past 3 years (on its 2nd update of maps) and not a problem..... top of the range (well was when I purchased it).... and has proven to be both easy to use and reasonably accurate with directions. After the first couple of months, the volume was turned off ("luvvy" was giving me the
sh!ts), and I now just use the distance countdown and directions. ;)

The speed display is what I set my cruise control to, and it has not let me down :D *touches wood*

Have not used any others.

P.S. funny you have referred to the Sat Navs as GPS / Navmans (they do appeared to have established their name in the market) tehehe

My 2 cents......

Wraith
2nd July 2007, 11:31 AM
I also have a top of the range Navman, agree with all the above, but they're not the cheapest of brands to buy...

bornwild
2nd July 2007, 11:33 AM
I don't own any of them, I just remember watching 'Fifth Gear' ages ago and they had a comparison of GPS units.

They said the TomTom was the easiest to use and most value for money sat-nav. The others come with 'unnecessary' features that slow it down.....well it went something along those lines.

Me.....I'll stick to Melway and use my brain to figure out the quickest route :D:D

astro boy
2nd July 2007, 11:49 AM
best one and cheapest to my knowledge is the UBD

^^^ What he said.

Metro1288
2nd July 2007, 12:13 PM
I use TomTom mobile on my Nokia n73.. works a treat! Cheap as well

Wraith
2nd July 2007, 12:29 PM
I don't own any of them, I just remember watching 'Fifth Gear' ages ago and they had a comparison of GPS units.

They said the TomTom was the easiest to use and most value for money sat-nav. The others come with 'unnecessary' features that slow it down.....well it went something along those lines.

Me.....I'll stick to Melway and use my brain to figure out the quickest route :D:D

Certainly nothing wrong with this approach :) despite having a Navman, I too still use my Melway alot - suppose old habits die hard....

But as stated a good feature of these things is the speed check :)

imay
2nd July 2007, 02:51 PM
Navman is my choice in GPS, mainly because of reputation . . . and the fact that it was a VERY good price when I bought it.
As good as it is, it can be frustrating if you have some idea of where you want to go. It has a habit of sending you in a roundabout way. I know you can change the navigation settings, but still not worth the mucking around programming it each time if you are in a hurry. But good at finishing your journey and getting you to the front door of wherever you are going. As a handy backup I always travel with a relatively recent UBD in the boot.
Another benefit over factory fitted navigation . . . you can transfer it from car to car, or even carry it with you when walking an unfamiliar part of a city.
Sun glare is also a problem with the roof down, making the screen almost impossible to view.

Tfer
2nd July 2007, 03:11 PM
Navman is my choice in GPS, mainly because of reputation . . . and the fact that it was a VERY good price when I bought it.
As good as it is, it can be frustrating if you have some idea of where you want to go. It has a habit of sending you in a roundabout way. I know you can change the navigation settings, but still not worth the mucking around programming it each time if you are in a hurry. But good at finishing your journey and getting you to the front door of wherever you are going. As a handy backup I always travel with a relatively recent UBD in the boot.
Sun glare is also a problem with the roof down, making the screen almost impossible to view.

First thing I did when I got the Navman was throw the UBD out! I put my faith in the Navman totally :D

Gee I wish I have your problem imay of not seeing the screen due to no roof :(

imay
2nd July 2007, 03:25 PM
Gee I wish I have your problem imay of not seeing the screen due to no roof :(

Yeah, it's a bugger . . . it's just one of the many tribulations in owning a convertible (ha ha) but I'm trying really really hard not to let it worry me too much!

Wraith
2nd July 2007, 03:48 PM
Ian, I for one know exactly what your talking about.....but I can tell you, that problem also occurs in any other 'roofed' car if it's a very sunny/bright day and you have your Navman dash mounted, it becomes very hard to see clearly :(

imay
2nd July 2007, 03:54 PM
Ian, I for one know exactly what your talking about.....but I can tell you, that problem also occurs in any other 'roofed' car if it's a very sunny/bright day and you have your Navman dash mounted, it becomes very hard to see clearly :(

Know what you mean . . . and there was a hint of sarcasm in my reply. But then again, when the sun is shining who really cares if it takes you a bit longer to get to where you are going? I can't wait for the sun to come out from behind these bloody clouds again!

Wraith
2nd July 2007, 04:10 PM
hahahaha LOL yes, bring back the vert happy weather :)

poita
2nd July 2007, 06:15 PM
when your driving the last thing you should be focused on is a 3" screen mounted onto ur windscreen.
thats why they have voice guidance :p

pred8r
2nd July 2007, 11:42 PM
A couple of things came to me today;

AFAIK none of the versions of Tomtom can do route optimization from a list of destinations (like if you were a courier)

Destinator apparently can (I tried to use the feature, took me ages to put the destinations in and then froze my phone. Probably just me)

Last I inquired only the highest spec version of navman could do it, but even the salesperson wasnt so sure. (I have NO personal experience with Navman)

Also;
Tomtom was MUCH faster than Destinator (on my setup). This may not be applicable to 'dedicated' units.

Tfer
3rd July 2007, 09:22 AM

Mine is dash mounted, and I can't recall having a problem viewing the Navman ;)

Know what you mean . . . and there was a hint of sarcasm in my reply. But then again, when the sun is shining who really cares if it takes you a bit longer to get to where you are going? I can't wait for the sun to come out from behind these bloody clouds again!

Just drive quick enough so you don't get wet with the roof down (old trick from my Capri days) :p :D

when your driving the last thing you should be focused on is a 3" screen mounted onto ur windscreen.
thats why they have voice guidance :p

Disagree.... depending on where you locate the GPS.... mine is positioned in a location that I believe is within my peripheral vision, hence eyes still basically on the road the majority of the time. :)

I sooo hate the voice :rolleyes:

A couple of things came to me today;

AFAIK none of the versions of Tomtom can do route optimization from a list of destinations (like if you were a courier)

Destinator apparently can (I tried to use the feature, took me ages to put the destinations in and then froze my phone. Probably just me)

Last I inquired only the highest spec version of navman could do it, but even the salesperson wasnt so sure. (I have NO personal experience with Navman)

Also;
Tomtom was MUCH faster than Destinator (on my setup). This may not be applicable to 'dedicated' units.

My Navman (ic635 ?) has this feature and it is not too bad :) but hardly ever use it ;)

Red AH SRI T
3rd July 2007, 09:54 AM
I have a TomTom One and its just brillant, very highly reccomended!

pred8r
3rd July 2007, 03:34 PM
My Navman (ic635 ?) has this feature and it is not too bad :) but hardly ever use it ;)

Just to clarify; most can all do itinerary eg. I need to go to A, B, C and D.
But, very few models can work out the shortest way eg. going A, C, D then B may save you 20kms.

Personally I think it should be a function on most of them, it is NOT that hard to calculate.
(Not everyone will use it, but how many people regularly use their mobile as an MP3 player or TV).
I'm just a consumer, what do I know.

Wraith
3rd July 2007, 03:47 PM
Mine is dash mounted, and I can't recall having a problem viewing the Navman ;)

Only happens on sunny days and only at certain angles of sun exposure, late in the afternoon when the suns low over the horizon, no matter where you put it - unless it's low down the console, or higher up on the windscreen, both not favourable positions - the glare from the sun, if it enters the car - makes it impossible to see :(

I too hate the voice, I like looking at the moving map in 3D mode, very cool :)

Tfer
3rd July 2007, 04:34 PM
Just to clarify; most can all do itinerary eg. I need to go to A, B, C and D.
But, very few models can work out the shortest way eg. going A, C, D then B may save you 20kms.

Personally I think it should be a function on most of them, it is NOT that hard to calculate.
(Not everyone will use it, but how many people regularly use their mobile as an MP3 player or TV).
I'm just a consumer, what do I know.

Ah I see.... it is not a useful function for me, as my appointments are made without any real geographical order in mind (first in first served), so I could end up bouncing from one end of Bris Vegas, down to the Gold Coast and then up to the Sunshine Coast, a lot of the time without any real geographical organisation. ;)

Only happens on sunny days and only at certain angles of sun exposure, late in the afternoon when the suns low over the horizon, no matter where you put it - unless it's low down the console, or higher up on the windscreen, both not favourable positions - the glare from the sun, if it enters the car - makes it impossible to see :(

I too hate the voice, I like looking at the moving map in 3D mode, very cool :)

Yep that's the mode I use too, always also in daytime colours :cool:

jsantos
3rd July 2007, 05:50 PM
Nokia 6110 Nav?

Shaun
4th July 2007, 12:53 AM
Garmin. One of the better brands that have been doing Sat Nav for many years.

Red AH SRI T
4th July 2007, 08:26 AM
Nokia 6110 Nav?

I so want that phone!!!

Does anyone have one yet??

kaoshunter
5th July 2007, 08:06 PM
Get yourself a Nokia N95, in built satnava and phone in one. Also has wifi and everything a normal phone has

Mainframe_Module
5th July 2007, 10:07 PM
the satnav in the n95 isnt really designed for in car use.

as it is, the n95 does lots of things okay instead of one or two things exceptionally well.

ever used a gps system withouut a touchscreen?...be prepared to fumble around alot.
its a handy add on, but not a worthy replacement imo.

kaoshunter
5th July 2007, 10:17 PM
I personally use a O2 XDA Mini with the Tomtom software it works a treat.

I just thought popping the N95 into the convo due to the fact it is a phone aswell

Tfer
6th July 2007, 08:30 AM
the satnav in the n95 isnt really designed for in car use.

as it is, the n95 does lots of things okay instead of one or two things exceptionally well.

ever used a gps system withouut a touchscreen?...be prepared to fumble around alot.
its a handy add on, but not a worthy replacement imo.

My Navman does not have a touch screen function, and I do not fumble around a lot, and in fact works perfectly well and easily without! ;)

EL BURITO
6th July 2007, 08:47 AM
My Navman does not have a touch screen function, and I do not fumble around a lot, and in fact works perfectly well and easily without! ;)
then again thou some systems are much easyer to use than others. Seeing as yours is disigned as a nav tool not a mobile phone its 1st purpose will be the most user friendly

Alix
6th July 2007, 09:10 AM
Nokia 6110 Nav?

Yeah, I got about a week ago. Great phone so far.

I've used the GPS function a couple of times just locally and it worked well. Sat lock can take a minute or two, but route calc seems fast. And it does turn-by-turn voice instructions that are loud enough to use with four people in the car.

It seems to have no problems sitting in the centre console of my CTDi (ie between the seats) - I don't need to windscreen mount it. There's a car mounting bracket coming out for it in a couple of weeks that I'll have a look at though, so I can use the screen.

Tfer
6th July 2007, 09:29 AM
then again thou some systems are much easyer to use than others. Seeing as yours is disigned as a nav tool not a mobile phone its 1st purpose will be the most user friendly

Agreed! :D

Yeah, I got about a week ago. Great phone so far.

I've used the GPS function a couple of times just locally and it worked well. Sat lock can take a minute or two, but route calc seems fast. And it does turn-by-turn voice instructions that are loud enough to use with four people in the car.

It seems to have no problems sitting in the centre console of my CTDi (ie between the seats) - I don't need to windscreen mount it. There's a car mounting bracket coming out for it in a couple of weeks that I'll have a look at though, so I can use the screen.

Good feedback..... now if I could get a reliable system on a business mobile that supports a Blackberry email plan (so that eliminates the Nokia N series etc) I would consider this option ;)

Red AH SRI T
6th July 2007, 09:29 AM
Get yourself a Nokia N95, in built satnava and phone in one. Also has wifi and everything a normal phone has

All the reviews i've read from people who own the phones say that the Nokia 6110 Navigator is better than the N95 in terms of the GPS use.

Check out www.gsmarena.com

I've found it pays to shop around. Optus wanted me to pay $709 outright for the 6110, Allphones were $629, then i found Ryda would do it for $599

BINGO!

pred8r
6th July 2007, 03:13 PM
Current optus offer for both business and personal users is;
6110nav = free on $49/mth cap plan (with $300 call credits) on a 2yr contract
I would assume the difference is just the higher rates non-business users are hit with.

This weekend Ill be trying a 'new' GPS prog for smartphone called iGO, not available in Aus but uses maps for something that is....apparently very pretty and similar to tomtom to use.

damienhelen
7th July 2007, 06:42 AM
N95 is a waste of money, and the 5MP camera is crap +++plus - it's like HUGE! but yet i wouldn't buy anything but Nokia - great computer connectivity, there technology may take a nit longer than other brands but they have it down pat. I mean yeah if i wanted a bigger brick than i got now i would have no probs getting a N95.... ....... ..........

pred8r
7th July 2007, 10:00 AM
From what I read re the n95 and the 6110 nav, the main differences are the camera (5mp vs 2mp) and that you pay data usage to use the nav on the n95, the 6110 has it on a card (like most other GPS systems)

and a couple of other connectivity differences (n95 has wifi and i/r) both have bluetooth

Oh and the obvious one, N95 will cost a lot more.

bigmick
7th July 2007, 12:39 PM
I use an IPAQ PDA with Papago software and plug into GPS cradle mounted on windscreen...nice big display and amplified speaker in cradle so hearing the thing isn't a problem...I also run a gps speedo software with 6 preset speed zones...handy to keep an eye on speed...

pred8r
7th July 2007, 01:41 PM
I also run a gps speedo software with 6 preset speed zones...handy to keep an eye on speed...

Vitesse limite?

Petey
7th July 2007, 09:28 PM
the navman & tom tom sat navs do the same thing really... choose the one you feel the most comfortable with, likr the look of etc...

the navmans current units maps are pre-loaded, the tom tom one & xl are on an sd card & need to loaded

some navman units have a camera (navpix) so you can snap a location & re-use from the menu to go back to that location as well as download other locations from their website... it basically keeps the lattitude & longtitude in memory

the tomtoms have about 36 language options

the navman windscreen mounts are "sexier" & better functionally that tomtoms

both are slim designs & can fit in your pocket when not in use...

navmans customer service is heaps better than tomtoms... you have to ring a sydney number but they have are available 7 days for help or servicing needs...

i have a navman n40 in one car & a tomtom one in another and like both very much...

i thought the navpix would be overkill & I'd never use it but its great. I take a photo of where ever I am & want to keep a record of, then I can go back there but pressing a couple of menu buttons...

so far both units have been great, no problems at all...

OZChris
7th July 2007, 09:37 PM
I run a Mio P550, which I originally chose because it was a Windows Mobile 5 device so that I could sync my work calendar to.

As a GPS, both my wife and I find it easy to use - it may not be a Tom Tom or Navman, but it gets the job done :)

The nice thing about the P550 is that it comes complete with a window mount and adapter for the cigarette lighter.

bigmick
8th July 2007, 08:06 AM
Vitesse limite?
proggy called GPS speed sentry

mr_sikma
10th July 2007, 10:03 AM
i have been selling these all weekend as part of a sale...

and if you just want GPS with a big screen the TomTom One-XL is great...

For not alot more the Garmin C510 has 'text to speech' so it tells you all of the road names unlike the TomTom. Allthough its a much bulkier unit as it runs 2 speakers, so if you are going to be carrying it around alot it may not suit you!

If you want the lot, Pioneer do GPS, Bluetooth and MP3 player for around the $700- mark.

poita
10th July 2007, 11:28 PM
in love with the new tomtom xl
the screen is great, we cant keep up with them at work.
they sell so quickly, plus they are a top unit.
i've actually just got myself an imate pda-n, has wireless bluetooth and teh gps receiver in it. so gonna put the tomtom software on it and see how it goes.
i need a pda for work, and thought with the extra goodies this one would be a good choice
now just tryin to get the bastard to sync with vista..........

pred8r
11th July 2007, 05:42 PM
A 6110 Nav arrived for me today, tomorrow it will run alongside Tomtom for comparison.

EDIT (21/07/07)
TT wins, routes better/more efficiently than the 6110.
Directions are Ultimately what you need it for, not the fancy crap.
The 6110 would be a good backup but not recommended for daily use.

nicecar
21st July 2007, 12:47 AM
If you are after a really cheap GPS, I am selling my PDA on ebay at the moment.

This is quite a few years old now but with GPS, it is excellent with its nice size screen (also can do all the other things a PDA can do - listen to music/music videos/movies/photos documents etc)

Need a few extras but at $31 on ebay at the moment, much better than $300 - $600:-

See post

http://opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=242581#post242581

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/iPAQ-3870-PDA-w-Bluetooth-upgraded-OS-Could-be-GPS_W0QQitemZ170131279445QQihZ007QQcategoryZ70891Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i17.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/a9/0d/f6d6_2.JPG

Matt

bornwild
21st July 2007, 02:06 PM
in love with the new tomtom xl
the screen is great, we cant keep up with them at work.
they sell so quickly, plus they are a top unit.
i've actually just got myself an imate pda-n, has wireless bluetooth and teh gps receiver in it. so gonna put the tomtom software on it and see how it goes.
i need a pda for work, and thought with the extra goodies this one would be a good choice

Good luck syncing it with vista. Mate of mine can't do it due to some drivers not being whl certified or some other bullshit like that. Software issue...

kaoshunter
21st July 2007, 03:35 PM

You need to download the latest mobile sync software from the vista updates, the one bundled with it is really crap, I hav an O2 xda Mini and had the same dramas I updated the sync software and then I had no dramas at all

poita
21st July 2007, 11:47 PM
the sync program used in XP, activesync is no longer used on vista
its now called windows mobiles device centre.
stupid thing