PDA

View Full Version : Topping up engine oil....

WLD-18L
28th June 2007, 05:18 PM
I just had the carserviced and the monkeys didnt fill the engine oil right back up to full. (oil is still one notch from the top on the dip stick)

The service joint told me they used FUCH's (spelling ?) but when i dropped in at supper cheap they didnt have any FUCH;s top up oil in 15w-40 so i just bought 1 liter of Castrol GTX 3 which is for modern multivavle engines. in 15w-40

Is it ok to mix these engine oils ??

thanks for the help :)

bornwild
28th June 2007, 05:22 PM
Shouldn't be a problem, from a theoretical point of view. Only thing that comes to mind is; if the two companies use some chemicals which when mixed together precipitate....this could spell trouble, otherwise, should be alright. :)

WLD-18L
28th June 2007, 06:54 PM
gotta fair hike for work tomoro so i wonna top it up befor then....if anyone has any info let us know.

MatsHolden
28th June 2007, 07:05 PM
If it's the same as the Barina and a lot of cars, the oil level needs to be between the two points on the dip stick, so from your description it sounds like it's spot on... you DON'T want to overfill it unless you want to be blowing seals left, right and centre.

WLD-18L
28th June 2007, 07:12 PM
thanks matt.

dipp stick looks like this

( | | | | | )========================================HANDLE
.........^

oil is about here. and obviously is even lower when hot.

MatsHolden
28th June 2007, 07:29 PM
thanks matt.

dipp stick looks like this

( | | | | | )========================================HANDLE
.........^

oil is about here. and obviously is even lower when hot.

Yeh that's pretty good mate...

WLD-18L
28th June 2007, 07:35 PM
yea thanks man i was gonna leave it but had some spare oil in the shed and thought about toping it up. just wanted to check if it was ok to mix brands. its at an ok levle anyways. thanks man.

SKM_87
28th June 2007, 07:43 PM
thats levels fine. mixing oil brands is fine. mixing oil types is diffent. dnt mix fully synthetic and castor oils together. most times its ok but just good practice. but most oils are synthetic so its not much of a worry.

mackeysam
1st July 2007, 05:51 PM
you can mix engine oils...so long as you're not mixing like 50/50. a little bit of mixture is fine...in your case it is fine