PDA

View Full Version : Astra SRiT 4.0 - WRX 0

Rhino
13th January 2004, 12:15 PM
Went cruising in Perth on Friday night... good results...

Went up against an '02 WRX STi and beat him twice! Was well chuffed. He was stock and not getting good starts... I realise that, but impressed none-the-less.

Then had a rolling run with another of the same build but modded (low 12s for the 1/4).

Here's what he had to say...

The Astra went hard....definitely the most responsive turbo car I've seen in a long time!!

Going up to Pinnaroo Point, the Astra was next to me and Ryan nailed it, and I nailed it also....by the time my turbo spooled up, the Astra was already in front of me in my lane!!! I'm sure I would have probably caught it when the turbo came on full boost, but hey, too little too late.

Go the Astra!

I've replaced intake and exhaust, installed GReddy EBC - so don't try that stock!

- 215HP at the boots -

Anonymous
13th January 2004, 01:00 PM
Pretty impressive... :wink:

Have you run your Astra on the 1/4? I'd be curious to know how it runs...haven't heard or seen of too many modded turbos out there.

Jass
13th January 2004, 01:06 PM
Umm very nice....

id be intrested to see how quick the astra turbo'sin these site are?
ie kw's at the wheels bhp ect ect

Most of us are in the same boat, seen as the astra only came out a few months ago, i wonder who has the fastest one hehehe :wink:

Rhino
13th January 2004, 02:33 PM
Gonna take it down to the drags next Wed.

Wanna do high 13s - low 14s... will see what happens...

I'll be sure to let you guys know.

Jass
13th January 2004, 02:46 PM
what work have u done on yours rhino?

Rhino
13th January 2004, 05:41 PM
Performance:
- Short feed from filter to turbo (get nice BOV sound and spool up)
- Custom, mandrel bent, stainless steel exhaust
- GReddy EBC

Aesthetics:
- lowered 40mm on 'King' springs
- 15 grade tint
- 46 grade on windscreen

Before Kings - Looks like a shopping trolley
http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~bradleys/indrive.jpg

Anonymous
13th January 2004, 06:09 PM
Looks very noice!
hehehe where's the custom frontmount... you know u want one! :wink:

Turblue
13th January 2004, 07:08 PM
Can you upload a pic of your engine bay..???

Anonymous
13th January 2004, 08:00 PM
Do you have any pix of yr car lowered.....agree that mine looks to much like a 4wd standard....thought pf getting some custom springs done cause the Kings on my prev Astra were a little soft 4 my liking!

Turblue
14th January 2004, 08:09 AM
My dream is to piss off a WRX owner..!!!

Good on ya..!!!!

Rhino
14th January 2004, 11:05 AM
hehehe where's the custom frontmount... you know u want one! :wink:

My car SUFFERS during the day. A larger IC would be nice, pricey for a Courtenay... not a lot of room to play with either...

Might just go for an extra cool air feed for now...

Rhino
14th January 2004, 11:13 AM
Can you upload a pic of your engine bay..???

Can do... nothing impressive though? Will get something together.

Do you have any pix of yr car lowered.....

The car is having a pro photo shoot tomorrow night through the guys that modded it... he's done some pretty nice stuff. Will set up a website in the next couple of weeks...

I'll let you know if anything happens before then.

Anonymous
15th January 2004, 07:20 PM
Hate to rain on your parade dude but i cant see it happening
147kw +30KW MAX from your mods and thats being VERY generous :roll:
up against 190KW STI :shock:

Oh well we can all dream :lol:

Lets see a post of your time slip from the quater mile

Still the Astra is a very nice ride

mr_astra_retired
15th January 2004, 07:22 PM
Get back to your own neck of the woods pal :lol: :lol:

Anonymous
15th January 2004, 07:24 PM
Mate, if you ready carefully, the SRiT came on boost quicker than the STI, so its possible. It doesn't say that he killed the rex, mearly that he was pulling away. It also depends on the driver.

Anonymous
15th January 2004, 07:31 PM
Get back to your own neck of the woods pal :lol: :lol:

LOL just thought i would come over and stir the pot a little

BLK^Barina Sorry will never happen not even if you was driving the REX LOL

P.S Im just Sh1t stirring im a fan of the Astra Turbo

Anonymous
15th January 2004, 10:16 PM
:? hey watch it there pal hehehe :D :mrgreen:

Rhino
16th January 2004, 10:37 AM
147kw +30KW MAX from your mods and thats being VERY generous :roll:
up against 190KW STI :shock:

Oh well we can all dream :lol:

Lets see a post of your time slip from the quater mile

Still the Astra is a very nice ride

My Astra comes with an umbrella...

I appreciate you being VERY Generous with my mods but I am ALSO RUNNING 190kW. And given that my turbo is fully spooled at 2k, you can appreciate a quicker than average acceleration curve...

A FWD or RWD has a MUCH more efficient drive line than a WRX. So when we're running, I know which I'd rather be in.

STi is only .5 sec quicker than WRX over the 1/4! They aren't as tough as everyone thinks - given the extra 15 000(?) notes?!

But, I had fun anyway and look at all the discussion and conversational unity it has created.

My work here is done. :)

Jass
16th January 2004, 11:23 AM
What work did you have done on your astra Rhino??

Would be nice to get a complete list of what worked for you and what didn't

Anonymous
16th January 2004, 11:53 AM
Well done Ryan! :D
Would love to see your baby move!

Turblue
16th January 2004, 12:12 PM
When I was looking at getting a new car, I nearly ended up in big arguments with my Lady. She HATES wrx's with a passion. She is sick of wrx drivers thinking that they are the best, and being dickheads in traffic because they got 4wd. Besides, she is right here, they are now common.

The Astra Turbo is not 'common.' I get heaps of comments on the SRiT. People are blown away by the way it looks.

For me..??? It was a combination of what she liked ( I still have to live with her ) and the fact that wrx's are more expensive. And really for not that much more.

I have TC,EPS, full leather, 215/17/40 wheels, ABS etc. Have a look at the wrx and SRiT. Not much except for 4wd and a bit more power. I can accelerate out of a corner in the wet at full throttle, and she doesn't break loose.

I really just don't give a stuff about whether a wrx has 20kw more power and can beat me. I got the better deal. And will continue to save money each year.

And another good thing besides price..??
INSURANCE..!!!! How many wrx's have full comp for $767 ??

Flame me as you will.

Rhino
16th January 2004, 12:33 PM

ZERO - Try $1500! And HELL YES!!! I even rang them to tell them I was going to do the mods and was expecting a nasty increase - nothing. :D

WRX flew past me (guessing 120kms) on the Fway last night, so I got on the loud peddal and pulled up next to him, I looked across and he shook his head.

Anyone can speed... let's see what you really got!! :twisted:

Go the SRiT

And yes, I get lots o' looks too. I still love the sound of a boxer engine, but I got leather and something fresh! that now is just as quick.

Anonymous
16th January 2004, 12:36 PM
I can do 2 things...

a) save up for a SRiT
b) do what the poms do... put the calibra 2L T engine into mine...

decisions decisions... think i might do the latter...

Anonymous
16th January 2004, 03:12 PM
Well people now ive stirred the pot its time to put up or shut up LOL

We at the REXNET forum are having a cruise on the 15 february so far there is 39 cars attending and we would love to have you come along we are very freindly and welcome all types of cars.

Mr astra has placed his name on the list so let his good example lead others to do the same.
It will be his first cruise in the Astra Turbo :D

Our most recent cruise was with the skyline club with around 60 cars so we will be expecting those guys to show as well.

Here is the link so dont be affraid i promise you will have a good day and meet some mad car enthusiasts like yourselves.

http://www.wrx.net.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7365

You might even get a chance to show us what the Astra is all about.

P.S bring a C.B its a lot more fun

Rhino
16th January 2004, 03:31 PM
Helluva cruise from WA :(

Shame

Have a good one and tell me about the encounters.

Jass
16th January 2004, 03:35 PM
Hey Opel_eata what day are you planing on going wouldn't coming along.

mr_astra_retired
16th January 2004, 04:34 PM
hey opel eata yeah ill go im hoping to get my car on the 13th so it will 2 or so days old , but dont expect me to give it a flogin

SmellyTofu
16th January 2004, 05:06 PM

Flame me as you will.

I know how you pay $0 for insurance.. work for Subaru Australia. ;)

Anonymous
16th January 2004, 06:18 PM
hey opel eata yeah ill go im hoping to get my car on the 13th so it will 2 or so days old , but dont expect me to give it a flogin

Its going to be a cruise not a race so should be a good day

Anonymous
16th January 2004, 06:44 PM

Its going to be a cruise not a race so should be a good dayIf we get a few Astra's coming along, then I wouldn't mind going...Kanga Valley is always a good run ;)
Will advise closer to the date....

Maybe post it up in the NSW section...if we're lucky, we might get a decent turnout of 5 cars :P

Seus
7th March 2004, 01:00 AM
did u say 2.5 T ???
or aws that a typo

Dregger
7th March 2004, 08:21 AM
did u say 2.5 T ???
or aws that a typo

thats the count of drag wins....

Astra SRiT 2.5 - WRX STi 0

Seus
7th March 2004, 05:53 PM
ah makes more sense now.

on the topic of larger dsiplacement turbos
would it be an good idea to turbo the 2.2 litre engine from the normal SRi?

Rhino
12th May 2004, 01:45 PM
I think that would be a great idea. Don't think the clutch will hold up though and you might come across some GB problems too.

That would be a beast :twisted:

FLY-SRi
12th May 2004, 02:23 PM
147kw +30KW MAX from your mods and thats being VERY generous
up against 190KW STI

Oh well we can all dream

its all about the driver.....! doesnt matter how powerful your car is, doesnt mean jack unless u can drive it

Rhino
17th November 2004, 05:59 PM
Including the poor WRX owner that blew his clutch (I gave him .5), the count is now up to 4.

Saturday night I passed a REX and obviously the zorst was making some noise, so he pulled up next to me at the next set of lights.

He didn't launch and we pulled away at the same rate.
In 1st gear I was in front just
In 2nd gear I had pulled quite convincingly away (longer gear in SRiT)
In 3rd I accelerated again and noticed that I could see him quite easily in the rear view mirror without moving my head - so he was well behind.

I backed off to see if he was still trying and he came back at me, so he was.

Content, I settled down, and funnily enough, I didn't get any recognition from him when he drove past me.

OPC
17th November 2004, 06:12 PM
hahaha well done ryan.. hopefully i will be sayin the same things in a month or two :D

Anonymous
17th November 2004, 07:29 PM
ohhh you guys make me wanna get a turbo!!! :P LJ you so have to bring you turbo to the dyno day :D

KevinFok
18th November 2004, 04:12 AM
the only wrx that i like is the 22B which i have never seen on the roads over here but that one rips like anything and also the price of those are well......not really worth it for that extra .2 liters in from normally the 2.0......and cost 100k
which is like two bloody astra turbs

think ill have more fun with 100k of buying an astra turb and then mod it off its nuts with that extra 55k to be honset :mrgreen:

Anonymous
18th November 2004, 08:19 AM
AMEN BRUDDA! SING IT!!!! :P

Wraith
22nd November 2004, 09:55 PM
Well done my son - good to see some of those smart a%$ WRX owners getting chopped down to size. :)

Prob is they think they can beat anything on the road - how painful and embarassing it must be when they get smoked by the likes of an Astra T

Good work, keep it up :wink:

jch75
28th November 2004, 08:24 PM
When I was looking at getting a new car, I nearly ended up in big arguments with my Lady. She HATES wrx's with a passion. She is sick of wrx drivers thinking that they are the best, and being **moderated** in traffic because they got 4wd. Besides, she is right here, they are now common.

I'd say WRX owners now hold the mantle that commodore drivers had 5 years ago.

sir-sri
1st December 2004, 08:33 PM
That's why my next car will be a Lib GT, not a WRX...not as fugly either :D

blueraven
1st December 2004, 08:37 PM
calibra with nos : 1
wrx : 0
(haha.. only just!!)

:P

Rhino
2nd December 2004, 09:55 AM
Sweeeeet! Welcome to the club Nik

OPC
14th March 2005, 08:56 PM
just thought id resurect this one for ENTICE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brett
14th March 2005, 09:02 PM
wahahaha

Brett
14th March 2005, 09:03 PM
wahahaha

InsaneAsylum
14th March 2005, 09:27 PM
calibra with nos : 1
wrx : 0
(haha.. only just!!)

:P

RESPECT!! :D :D

OPL-20T
14th March 2005, 09:41 PM
i gave it a hit with an R33 skyline, about 11pm on the M5 entry at bexly north. he was in front and i was stuck up his butt and he didnt pull away from me at all in3rd gear i was at max revs so the speed was LEGAL lol. he was upset he didnt pull away so when i backed off he kept going. had exhaust and boost on the skyline. but SRiT is a quick litlle car with s few good mods.

Brett
14th March 2005, 09:50 PM
Yeh just more of a problem racing a GOOD driver off the lights in a new wrx, the 05 rexys are considerably quicker then the old bug eyes, once your moving however you can chop most things haha

Namus
14th March 2005, 10:01 PM
yeah mainly ecu improvements with the 05 rex....less of the infamous off-boost lag...still would go with an Evo VIII if i had a choice of the two

Brett
14th March 2005, 10:06 PM
yeh and the new rexy also have active valve control, I drove a WRP-10 the other day, Was really impressed, big step over the others, goes hard in first and second and even third and fourth arent so whimpy anymore

Brett
14th March 2005, 10:07 PM
yeh and the new rexy also have active valve control, I drove a WRP-10 the other day, Was really impressed, big step over the others, goes hard in first and second and even third and fourth arent so whimpy anymore

Namus
14th March 2005, 10:10 PM
yeah that's wat i've read in car mags too about the WRP-10; but that's the thing about the WRX; a minor ECU tweak and u get a whole new car....wish ours were that simple

Brett
14th March 2005, 10:13 PM
Yeh I reckon below 100ks a WRP would be seriously hard to drop, although they still bog down off the start, so i reckon you could get them off the lights unless they do a more brutal launch, but once into say 3rd gear they are going to be dropped by a highly modded astra T

nz-sri
15th March 2005, 07:02 AM
why wont holden bring the turbo to NZ so want to stick it the rex boys over here :cry:

InsaneAsylum
15th March 2005, 08:38 AM
hehehehe holdens pricing could never compete with the low tariff jap imports of NZ. you can pick up an evo lancer for a few cases of tui

Namus
15th March 2005, 04:10 PM
so true.... :lol: