PDA

View Full Version : For those interested in what Pontiac is doing with the VE Commy

pred8r
25th June 2007, 07:31 PM
Here (http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/19/rumormill-pontiac-g8-gt-to-be-under-35k/)
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/02/pontiacg8_hi_01.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/02/pontiacg8_hi_03.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/02/pontiacg8_hi_02.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/02/x08pn_g8008.jpg

MatsHolden
25th June 2007, 07:41 PM
more here... http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11736&highlight=pontiac

pred8r
25th June 2007, 07:46 PM
Missed that one......oh well.

My pics are bigger :p (sorry dial-up people:o)

Red AH SRI T
25th June 2007, 08:09 PM
That was the Concept car. They won't get the GTS wheels or the cool leather Dash.

ope126
25th June 2007, 09:02 PM
Front end looks crap...

Vectracious
25th June 2007, 10:37 PM
Front end looks crap...

Designed for the Seppo's - what did you expect? :D

poita
25th June 2007, 10:45 PM
i'm gonna cop it for this
i dont mind it

lol very funny vectracious

bornwild
26th June 2007, 12:00 PM
Front end looks crap...

+2........

Wraith
26th June 2007, 12:51 PM
Yeh, seen this one already.

I like the bonnet, hopefully we'll see series 2 VE's here with the same :)

Apex
26th June 2007, 01:32 PM
I really like this car and would consider one of these when the Astra’s times up.

I find the VE SS to plasticky looking and find the Calais V a bit to restrained, I like this spec as its somewhere in-between.

Wraith
26th June 2007, 04:05 PM
I really like this car and would consider one of these when the Astra’s times up.

I find the VE SS to plasticky looking and find the Calais V a bit to restrained, I like this spec as its somewhere in-between.

How about the VE HSV's, I reckon they look the best :)

Price wise, they're not the best though, but you could always get a near new one for a very reasonable price ;)

Apex
26th June 2007, 04:15 PM
Not a big fan of the HSV VE to be honest :cool:

SIMid
26th June 2007, 04:48 PM
Not a big fan of the HSV VE to be honest :cool:

No Times New Roman?? :p

I just cant get oto grips with the door grips, pre-historic in design and doesnt match the interior.

HSVs are very nice, but I hate the new tail-light (shape) design. Doesnt suit it at all.

Apex
26th June 2007, 06:47 PM
HSVs are very nice, but I hate the new tail-light (shape) design. Doesnt suit it at all.

Yea that’s the major turn off for me, as well as the fact the “special” factor of HSV seems to have been all but lost in the last few years, they used to be a lot classier in my opinion.

Id much rather hot up a Calais with a few aftermarket goodies and have my own special vehicle.

Wraith
26th June 2007, 07:41 PM
I must agree, the tail light design ain't the best compared to the standard tail light clusters, but I do love the way they look when those LED's are fired up at night :) and they're very very bright, there's no missing them :)

stevedee3
26th June 2007, 08:38 PM
I think the HSV Senator looks OK, but it's a pity it's not available with a manual transmission.

Wraith
27th June 2007, 12:23 PM
True that, but it does depend on what your after...it is afterall a top of the line luxury model, so auto trans is the usual fitment on cars in that category.

In terms of performance, in stock standard trim, the auto is actually both quicker/faster than the manual anyway ;) ie: according to HSV literature.

stevedee3
27th June 2007, 06:55 PM
True that, but it does depend on what your after...it is afterall a top of the line luxury model, so auto trans is the usual fitment on cars in that category.

In terms of performance, in stock standard trim, the auto is actually both quicker/faster than the manual anyway ;) ie: according to HSV literature.I don't want the manual for the extra performance, I just prefer to drive them. It's a pity that most car makers assume that "luxury" car buyers will want an auto, but then maybe most do...

Actually HSV quote 4.96s/5.05s for manual/auto for the short wheel base 0-100 km/h sprint (couldn't find claims for the Grange). The same really...

bornwild
27th June 2007, 07:45 PM
I don't want the manual for the extra performance, I just prefer to drive them. It's a pity that most car makers assume that "luxury" car buyers will want an auto, but then maybe most do...

Actually HSV quote 4.96s/5.05s for manual/auto for the short wheel base 0-100 km/h sprint (couldn't find claims for the Grange). The same really...

The reason for not offering the 6sp manual would be the IQ level of the average Australian, not whether it's a luxury car or not.

Wraith
27th June 2007, 08:00 PM
The reason for not offering the 6sp manual would be the IQ level of the average Australian, not whether it's a luxury car or not.

hahaha LOL :)

Simple fact is most customers of these cars prefer an auto, the ratio I was told when I purchased my HSV R8 was about every 6 in 10 sold were autos and that's for HSV's models across the board, not just the luxury models :)

Not sure about the current VE's but the good thing when I purchased mine was that there was no price difference between auto and manual, like there usually is on all other types cars, they were both the same price :)

stevedee3
27th June 2007, 08:24 PM
Not sure about the current VE's but the good thing when I purchased mine was that there was no price difference between auto and manual, like there usually is on all other types cars, they were both the same price :)I don't care about the Omega and Berlina, but I also think it's a pity you can't get a Calais or Calais-V with a manual transmission.

I think VE auto transmissions cost an extra $2k.

Vectracious
27th June 2007, 10:32 PM
I think VE auto transmissions cost an extra $2k.

Even the oooooooooooooooooooooooooooold 4L60 4 speeder????

MatsHolden
27th June 2007, 11:37 PM
There is a $1000 difference between the 6 speed manual and 5 speed auto. (SV6)

There is $2000 difference between the 6 speed manual and 6 speed auto. (SS and SS-V)

There is no extra cost for the old 4 speed auto as the vehicle it is available on only come in auto.

Vectracious
27th June 2007, 11:39 PM
There is a $1000 difference between the 6 speed manual and 5 speed auto. (SV6)

There is $2000 difference between the 6 speed manual and 6 speed auto. (SS and SS-V)

There is no extra cost for the old 4 speed auto as the vehicle it is available on only come in auto.

Thankyou MatsHoldenWikipedia :p

MatsHolden
27th June 2007, 11:43 PM
Thankyou MatsHoldenWikipedia :p

hahaha nah MatsHoldenHolden.... lol

Wraith
28th June 2007, 09:51 AM

May I ask which model this is ??

Older VT/VX and VY HSV's had no price difference between auto (4sp) and manual (6sp) transmissions...and all models except Senator and Grange (and VT GTS which was manual only) were available in manual or auto configurations, ie: Clubsport, Clubsport R8, XU6, XU8 and VX GTS.

My series 2 HSV VT R8 was an auto and it's price at that time was identicle to the manual :)

Monaros also had same price for both manual and auto trans...:)

sasrit
28th June 2007, 11:38 AM
I would prefer that the old clunker 4 speed auto should have been offered at a discount price, not a premium!!!

Wraith
28th June 2007, 12:11 PM
I would prefer that the old clunker 4 speed auto should have been offered at a discount price, not a premium!!!

In fact it was :)

Since auto option (whatever type of box it is) usually costs more than manual.

I see your point though, being not the best of autos it should've been a cheaper option than the 6spd manual :)

Although, let me say having owned and driven one for several years, it wasn't that bad, in fact I liked it......especially with some decent power in front of, it worked very well !

Like anything, it just takes some getting used to and eventually you learn to work with it's strengths and easily avoid it's bad points - the only one I could complain about was the fact that it liked to shift up too quickly on part throttle application - out of sports mode - especially 1st to 2nd, but this could be easily overcome with accelerator foot control.

With sports mode engaged and wide open throttle spirited driving, it worked very well and the ratios suited the engines torque curve very well.

In the VE the auto works even better, because that unit has got the extra cogs, the diff ratio is now the same as the manuals, which further improves the acceleration and response.

I've driven a VE HSV GTS auto, it's awesome, (straight line and on normal roads), even took on and toasted a wrx on that test run lol, all it needs is a correct stall converter upgrade and it'll be peaches...

Tfer
28th June 2007, 12:17 PM
Front end looks crap...

+2........

+ 3..... :eek:

MatsHolden
28th June 2007, 07:07 PM

Older VT/VX and VY HSV's had no price difference between auto (4sp) and manual (6sp) transmissions...and all models except Senator and Grange (and VT GTS which was manual only) were available in manual or auto configurations, ie: Clubsport, Clubsport R8, XU6, XU8 and VX GTS.

My series 2 HSV VT R8 was an auto and it's price at that time was identicle to the manual :)

Monaros also had same price for both manual and auto trans...:)

VE..........

stevedee3
28th June 2007, 07:40 PM

VE..........
Yeah, when you get the "base" V6 engine (Omega, Commodore-V, Lumina, Berlina V6), you have only one trans choice - the old 4 speed auto.

Wraith
28th June 2007, 10:00 PM
Oh I see, thanks for that :)

I thought that the 4spd auto was history.....