PDA

View Full Version : Will this work as a Turbo?

FiestaFreak
19th June 2007, 09:56 PM
as some of youz know, i have a SRi barina for my firzt car. I'm wantin to get heapsa powar outta it and im thinkin along the turbo linez. thinkin puttin in a turbo style fan inside my air intake pipez and when the air gets sucked in it willz spin around and then coz itz spinnin right, it'll suck in more airz like a turbo. anyone done thiz? my mate reckons ill be able to getz it up to about 120kwz doin this without the airfilterz... what youz think?

JasonGilholme
19th June 2007, 10:05 PM
been tried before and doesn't work. the engine sucks more air then the fan can actually make.

also its not about air flow (CFM) its to do with air pressure (PSI) and a fan doesn't compress air.

Sorry to ruin your hopes champ.

InsaneAsylum
19th June 2007, 10:06 PM
as some of youz know, i have a SRi barina for my firzt car. I'm wantin to get heapsa powar outta it and im thinkin along the turbo linez. thinkin puttin in a turbo style fan inside my air intake pipez and when the air gets sucked in it willz spin around and then coz itz spinnin right, it'll suck in more airz like a turbo. anyone done thiz? my mate reckons ill be able to getz it up to about 120kwz doin this without the airfilterz... what youz think?

u thort about chuckin a rotor in?

FiestaFreak
19th June 2007, 10:10 PM
tahnkz for that bro.

insane! nah havnt thought bout that.. how big do the bladez need to be?

oneightoo
19th June 2007, 11:06 PM

tell your friend he doesn't know anything about motors or turbo's..

off topic question for you..

when you write essay's do you speak in 1337 as well?

poita
19th June 2007, 11:08 PM
nah 182 hes an ub3r n00b

oneightoo
19th June 2007, 11:11 PM
i just lol'd

Dave
20th June 2007, 01:33 AM
lmfao.... wow thanks for the laughf champ

InsaneAsylum
20th June 2007, 07:57 AM
a rolls royce RB211 could possibly work, or maybe a cfm56. GE and pratt and whitney might also have options but they're more common in the US

that's probably the size of fan you'll need

JasonGilholme
20th June 2007, 08:02 AM
lol give him a break guys. We all did stupid things when we were 16. lol

Have a look at www.homemadeturbo.com. People try that shit all the time hehe

InsaneAsylum
20th June 2007, 08:14 AM
i used to live on that forum.... but i read a lot and didn't post.

there's some interesting info. but if you're going to start your own project, you'll need the right tools

Bill_G
20th June 2007, 10:16 AM
tell your friend he doesn't know anything about motors or turbo's..

off topic question for you..

when you write essay's do you speak in 1337 as well?No offence meant, but when criticising the atrocious grammar or spelling of others, it's far less embarrassing if you get it right yourself (e.g. apostrophes denote possessive case, not plural). ;)

Aside from that, however, I completely agree with your sentiments. :)

InsaneAsylum
20th June 2007, 12:15 PM
yeah and respect your elders 182 :p

oneightoo
20th June 2007, 12:20 PM
No offence meant, but when criticising the atrocious grammar or spelling of others, it's far less embarrassing if you get it right yourself (e.g. apostrophes denote possessive case, not plural). ;)

Aside from that, however, I completely agree with your sentiments. :)

smart ass :p

yeah and respect your elders 182 :p

http://www.cx65.de/fileadmin/cx65/wallpapers/misc/Ali-G-Respect.gif

Boyakasha!!

InsaneAsylum
20th June 2007, 12:29 PM
R-e-s-t-e-c-p

bornwild
20th June 2007, 12:40 PM
ahahahahahhahhahahahahahahhahahahahahha :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

good laugh :D :D :D :D :D

"how big do the bladez need to be?" aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahhahahahhhahahahhahahahahahhahah ahahhahaahahhahahahha

im crying

hahahahhahaahahahahahhaha

Bill_G
20th June 2007, 03:45 PM
R-e-s-t-e-c-pI didn't realise that Aretha Franklin was dyslexic! :D

Bill_G
20th June 2007, 03:59 PM
smart ass :pIt's S-M-A-R-T-A-R-S-E, if you don't mind! :)

And as InsaneAsylum says, "respect your elders 182 :p".

<===!!!

http://www.cx65.de/fileadmin/cx65/wallpapers/misc/Ali-G-Respect.gifAmazing, that. Looks just like Borat in an Ali G disguise.

oneightoo
20th June 2007, 04:04 PM
no, i was calling you an intelligent donkey :p

gman
20th June 2007, 04:05 PM

OK, 16 or not your post, aside from the "fully sik" grammar, gave me at least a good laugh and at most a cause for concern!!!!!!!

Quote: willz spin? youz know? I'm wantin to get heapsa powar outta? more airz like? intake pipez?

HOLY SH*T!!! WTF are you smoking?!

Perhaps you should have had something softer like Fairy Bread or a Chocolate Crackle sunshine before moving straight on to the intravenous use of hard drugs!!!!

Word to the wise, stay of the Coke my friend, the ice cubes hurt when they get stuck in your nostrils…

I also strenuously advise you to cancel your application to MENSA and re-think your aspirations for the NASA Deep Space Telemetry & Tracking Program.

Perhaps a career in food service or politics??

OK now that’s over….

For an electric fan to produce enough air flow to generate positive manifold pressure would require more energy from the car's electrics than the HP it would generate.

That’s why turbochargers use the wasted (virtually free) energy of the exhaust gas and superchargers are parasitically driven through a mechanic link to the crankshaft with a form of speed multiplier.

Still shaking my head and LMAO..Don't kwon which is scarier.....

ope126
20th June 2007, 04:11 PM
Have we scared the FiestaFreak away...:clap:

oneightoo
20th June 2007, 04:12 PM
ZOMG i tinkz youz are rite!

gman
20th June 2007, 04:17 PM
Nah bro'z..

He'z gonna goez anda getz a fully sik, hectic spaztic, electricz turbinez to blowz all yaz awayz....I thinkz??? ;)

Maybe he got his mum's http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/aussiegman/2002092300120301.jpg to put in da house...sorry, da inlet pipez..

But hez shoulda got one for theze http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/aussiegman/big_turbo.jpg for a fully sik Fiestaz bro...

gman
20th June 2007, 04:20 PM
W-E-S-T-S-I-D-EEEEEEE-D........

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/aussiegman/ftmag.jpg

oneightoo
20th June 2007, 04:23 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/aussiegman/big_turbo.jpg for a fully sik Fiestaz bro...

this would not be practicle on a barina.. there would be too much lag..

lol.. is that a turbo for a death star or something?

gman
20th June 2007, 04:27 PM
I'd imagine its for a big ass diesel mining truck or something...

Maybe a diesel shipping engine...

rusole21
20th June 2007, 04:31 PM
ahahahahahhahhahahahahahahhahahahahahha :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

good laugh :D :D :D :D :D

"how big do the bladez need to be?" aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahhahahahhhahahahhahahahahahhahah ahahhahaahahhahahahha

im crying

hahahahhahaahahahahahhaha
you can talk. whats a bov again????

oneightoo
20th June 2007, 04:32 PM
maybe the HMAS Adelaide?

gman
20th June 2007, 04:34 PM
you can talk. whats a bov again????

Isn't that a "Bio-feedback Orifice Vent" ?

Perhaps I'm talking out my ass?

;)

Noir
20th June 2007, 04:35 PM
Dont make me clean up the spam in this thread boys.

FiestaFreak
20th June 2007, 05:18 PM
lol give him a break guys. We all did stupid things when we were 16. lol

Have a look at www.homemadeturbo.com. People try that shit all the time hehe

Geez thanx man. I might just sign up eh.

Why is everyone hating on me so much? I can type normalz, just a bad habit. Thanx for the tips Deez!

JasonGilholme
20th June 2007, 05:36 PM
Geez thanx man. I might just sign up eh.

Why is everyone hating on me so much? I can type normalz, just a bad habit. Thanx for the tips Deez!

No probs mate.

Alot of people live on the internet and don't realise that people don't always talk the same way that they type.

its not like we all say LOL LOL LOL when we find something funny hehe.

Just get an intake and exhaust and you'll be happy until you get a more performance oriented car.

FiestaFreak
20th June 2007, 05:41 PM
No probs mate.

Alot of people live on the internet and don't realise that people don't always talk the same way that they type.

its not like we all say LOL LOL LOL when we find something funny hehe.

Just get an intake and exhaust and you'll be happy until you get a more performance oriented car.

Yeah cheerz for that eh. Dad was saying sumthing about zorst and chip put inz. I dont talk liek this yea, I study chem and the shit at skool...

Noir
20th June 2007, 05:52 PM
So off topic...I think I'll shut up now......

Damn I sound like an old man :(

You bloody spammers, and yes you sound old. Give the boy a chance guys, not everyone can spell on this forum or use the correct grammar.

Like I mentioned before Carlos, send Turblue a PM.

oneightoo
20th June 2007, 05:58 PM
You bloody spammers, and yes you sound old. Give the boy a chance guys, not everyone can spell on this forum or use the correct grammar.

i think he should go to the school for kids who cant read good

http://mike.verdone.ca/media/zoolander-school.jpg

hehe..

no, noir is right, we should play nice and give him a chance.. sorry mate, just havin a joke with ya..

JasonGilholme
20th June 2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah cheerz for that eh. Dad was saying sumthing about zorst and chip put inz. I dont talk liek this yea, I study chem and the shit at skool...

Yeah best off to just get an air intake done (have a search its pretty simple to do it yourself.

As for exhaust you'd probably need to get a custom one done from the cat back. about 400 bucks i go qouted once.

Tuning (getting a chip as people say) is a good way to get more outta modern cars. Theres alot stricter emissions laws these days which makes it hard to get alot of power out of the car from the factory but once its on the road its not as strict (unless you get dobbed into the EPA lol). its usually expensive compared to an air intake and exhaust but good gains if you do your research.

bornwild
20th June 2007, 10:42 PM
A good quality K&N air filter should see you get some increase in performance. You gotta fork out about $150ish for a good one though.

R3N
20th June 2007, 11:07 PM
just remember, stickers don't make it go any faster and mates who think they know jack, don't really know jack at all... google is your friend

lampshade
20th June 2007, 11:36 PM
I dont think you will notice anything TBH with a filter or exhaust (well nothing when compared to the $$$ it will cost. Truth is, that if you want to go faster your best route would be to upgrade the suspension and brakes.

That way you would get a lot more more out of your car than anything an exhaust could ever give a small engined N/A car.;)

Dave
21st June 2007, 03:40 AM
ay bro i had leik thiz fully sick stickerz on ma astraa it leik flew fasterdena vet or sumfin........

Just stick to what these peeps are recomending, though if you had the cash and resources you could get a custom turbo install, but be prepared to pay 10-15 g's.

These cars arent the cheapest to mod, nor the most practical gains wise.

R3N
21st June 2007, 04:31 PM
I dont think you will notice anything TBH with a filter or exhaust (well nothing when compared to the $$$ it will cost. Truth is, that if you want to go faster your best route would be to upgrade the suspension and brakes.

That way you would get a lot more more out of your car than anything an exhaust could ever give a small engined N/A car.;)

But that wouldn't make it go faster and it wouldn't smoke an XR4 at teh litezz yo LOL

Look... you wanna make it go faster in a straight like? Take out everything you don't need... spare tyre, rear seats, passanger seats, carpets, sound deadening, speakers, A/C unit, and I guarantee it will fly... oh unless you want your mates in the back so they can confirm the amount/type of cars you've smoked, then ask them to bring milk crates along

bornwild
21st June 2007, 04:35 PM
Ah come on stop giving him shit.

There is an ECU re-tune for the 1.8 available also, unless someone already said it. It's $650 if I remember correctly. But yeah as R3N said, weight-loss would increase performance significantly more than anything else within your budget.

OPC
21st June 2007, 04:45 PM
yeah thats it... everyone tell him how to make his car go faster so another L plater can fukin kill himself

i agree with lampshade change the suspension and all to make it handle better

look kid just get a cat back exhaust and it will sound faster...

and when ur mum or dad are in the passenger seat ask them to make a BOV noise out the window when u change gears so it will sound fast aswell

gman
21st June 2007, 06:51 PM
yeah thats it... everyone tell him how to make his car go faster so another L plater can fukin kill himselfl

100% agree.....

and when ur mum or dad are in the passenger seat ask them to make a BOV noise out the window when u change gears so it will sound fast aswell

Hey that was my idea!!! ;) But your right, at least you can stop them when you get sick of the "BSSSSHHHHH" noise..... :D

So in short, do the exhaust, a filter, suspension and the brake pads at least...

btm
22nd June 2007, 08:22 AM
look kid just get a cat back exhaust and it will sound faster...

GOLD :D

JasonGilholme
22nd June 2007, 09:07 AM
Take out everything you don't need... spare tyre, rear seats, passanger seats, carpets, sound deadening, speakers, A/C unit, and I guarantee it will fly...

This is definately the idea with my car, and i can gaurentee it works.

Bill_G
22nd June 2007, 09:52 AM
Dont make me clean up the spam in this thread boys.And when you do, you should at least be consistent about it, otherwise you allow your selectivity to indicate your bias. You've already deleted two of my posts from this thread, and as this will almost certainly be the third, I might as well keep it short.

OOTC: As far as FiestaFool is concerned, all I'm prepared to say is that the further he lives from Qld, the better. We already have more than enough undisciplined 17-year-old dickhead drivers of our own to worry about.

oneightoo
22nd June 2007, 10:02 AM
And when you do, you should at least be consistent about it, otherwise you allow your selectivity to indicate your bias. You've already deleted two of my posts from this thread, and as this will almost certainly be the third, I might as well keep it short.

OOTC: As far as FiestaFool is concerned, all I'm prepared to say is that the further he lives from Qld, the better. We already have more than enough undisciplined 17-year-old dickhead drivers of our own to worry about.

i totally agree with you..

Bill_G
22nd June 2007, 10:14 AM
i totally agree with you..Be very careful 182, otherwise your posts might end up on the editing room floor, just like some of gman's and mine have already. :)

gman
22nd June 2007, 10:48 AM
And when you do, you should at least be consistent about it, otherwise you allow your selectivity to indicate your bias. You've already deleted two of my posts from this thread, and as this will almost certainly be the third, I might as well keep it short.

Be very careful 182, otherwise your posts might end up on the editing room floor, just like some of gman's and mine have already. :)

I know what you mean!!!! I had 6 posts deleted from this thread, all in light of my audacity to voice my own opinions...Everything was prefaced with IMHO and most was nothing other than a little bit of good fun. Admittedly some was seriously off topic and maybe very slightly controversial, but hey, with such incredibly intellectually insulting grammar and theme this thread deserved a flaming or two. As I said most was in good fun.... Talk about censorship of the masses...

Come and see the violence inheriting the system!!!!!!

Help!!! Help!!! I'm being re-pressed!!!!!

Think I might just have to read and not post anything any more... :(

oneightoo
22nd June 2007, 11:02 AM
it's been noticed.. by a LOT of people..

and i thought this thread was a joke thread to.. oh well..

lampshade
22nd June 2007, 11:06 AM
Dont know about the deleted post's, but just had another read through of the thread and it is full of off topic useless spam.
What could of been a usefull thread to younger drivers about how to get the best out of what they have from both an engine and mechanical POV wasted with childish replies.

Waste of bandwith:rolleyes:

oneightoo
22nd June 2007, 11:08 AM
i think you'll find that the beef people have is there is no consistancy.. some people seem to be able to spam out threads at will and be untouched, others get posts removed that are only slightly off topic..

if admin wants to get spam removal happy then they have got to be consistent and remove everything and not create spam themselves.. otherwise they have to put up with it.. double standards isnt a good thing..

Bill_G
22nd June 2007, 11:14 AM
I know what you mean!!!! I had 6 posts deleted from this thread, all in light of my audacity to voice my own opinions...Aside from agreeing with everything you said, there's probably little point in expanding upon any of your highly valid comments because I'll wager that by early this afternoon, these last 5 or 6 posts will no longer exist. :silenced:

Bill_G
22nd June 2007, 11:26 AM
Dont know about the deleted post's, but just had another read through of the thread and it is full of off topic useless spam.
What could of been a usefull thread to younger drivers about how to get the best out of what they have from both an engine and mechanical POV wasted with childish replies.Oh, come on, ffs! This thread started as a joke, and has remained so ever since. Given the initial attitude of FiestaFool, did you really expect anybody to help him make his Barina go faster, just so that he could kill himself (and possibly a few other innocents) in record time?

Besides, with his appalling grasp of the English language (which some people were quite rightly trying to improve), how can he even be expected to read and understand road signs? :)

Waste of bandwith:rolleyes:Perhaps, but it still didn't prevent you from contributing, did it? :p

lampshade
22nd June 2007, 11:36 AM
No there have been some good replies to the thread by the members on here ATM too, but (and I've just had another look)

post's 6/7/8/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/21/22/23/24/25/28/29/35/38 are all pointless.

I'm not being an old fart but having to go through all of the above to find anything that's relavant to what the kid wants to know:confused:

If there is a problem with mod's/admin then bring it up in a relavant thread on the forum.

but I spam because others do it is a load of bollox.

InsaneAsylum
22nd June 2007, 11:43 AM
it is full of off topic useless spam.

and how does that differ from the rest of the internet? :D

gman
22nd June 2007, 11:53 AM

Spam? Perhaps, IMHO it was just harmless fun...Your opinions are to be respected and I see you point, however, so should my opinions be resepcted..

But what about the initial useless post??? And are they useless when the post was in the GENERAL DISCUSSIONS AREA and were nothing more than personal opinions, prefaced as such, and humours banter between members...

So it may have been off topic..Getting technical, discussing whether these mod's were ok for a FORD FIESTA on the OPELAUS forum might be considered offtopic and useless spam also..But rightly it was posted in the GENERAL DISCUSSION area.....SO I have no problems with the inital post....

What could of been a usefull thread to younger drivers about how to get the best out of what they have from both an engine and mechanical POV wasted with childish replies.

As they say, ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer..And this was one of the stupidest& most humousous I've seen in some time..

The inital question was answered in my first post, so I feel I successfully complied with your criteria above. Useful information was passed to the member in question. End of story...

The remainder of the post(s), by both me and others, were both an attempt at some levity (humourous in intent) in the face of appalling and quite amusing grammar/topic and a little social commentary.

I fail to see why when I voice "MY OWN" opinions or decide to be humours, which I might add others also found amusing, people decide to throw stones. Other also voiced a vehement opinion and were not subject to censure. You have just done to me and others what you yourself accused me of doing...The difference being you have the fact that posts were deleted to back up your personal opinions..

Some of the deleted posts by others I personally though were very amusing. Obviously this isn't a place for humours endevours..

This isn't a peronal attack on you or the forum, simply an observation.... :(

My advice...get ADSL2+...The extra bandwidth of the post in question would amount to perhaps a loading time of 0.78 seconds...

(Disclaimer: The above comment is an attempt at humour. The poster apologises in advance for any and all offense taken by parties known or unknown that read the above statement!)

Bill_G
22nd June 2007, 11:55 AM
If there is a problem with mod's/admin then bring it up in a relavant thread on the forum.As far as I'm concerned, there is no more relevant thread to discuss the matter than the one in which it is actually occurring.

lampshade
22nd June 2007, 12:08 PM

Please refer to the above quote

gman
22nd June 2007, 12:12 PM
Please refer to the above quote

My advice...get ADSL2+...The extra bandwidth of the post in question would amount to perhaps a loading time of 0.78 seconds...

(Disclaimer: The above comment is an attempt at humour. The poster apologises in advance for any and all offense taken by parties known or unknown that read the above statement!)

Please refer to above also... ;) all said in good fun.....

Bill_G
22nd June 2007, 12:16 PM
Please refer to the above quoteWhy? Do you need somebody to correct your grammar and spelling, or what? :D

Anyway gents, a good afternoon to you, as I must now go and earn a quid. ;)

oneightoo
22nd June 2007, 12:18 PM
Why? Do you need somebody to correct your grammar and spelling, or what? :D

i doubt it, but i have a few :p

OPC
22nd June 2007, 01:48 PM
where is wayne with the "i get last say" ?

blah blah blah THREAD LOCKED

gman
22nd June 2007, 01:52 PM
Thread finished... ;)

OPC
22nd June 2007, 01:55 PM
Thread finished... ;)

no i get last say... thread open

JasonGilholme
22nd June 2007, 02:05 PM
oooooooooooo i'm in even after mohawk. :P

oneightoo
22nd June 2007, 02:15 PM
this thread has hours left to live methinks..

Noir
22nd June 2007, 02:21 PM
this thread has hours left to live methinks..

Less than that.

Sorry I don't do the big closure like Wayne. You all know this thread is full of bullshit.

Thread closed.