PDA

View Full Version : We put Opel badges on our cars, the poms put Holden badges!

OZChris
18th June 2007, 07:56 PM
As per the title, spotted this on eBay :D

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOLDEN-EMBLEM-BADGE-VAUXHALL-OPEL-VECTRA-ASTRA-CORSA_W0QQitemZ160126208477QQihZ006QQcategoryZ1040 4QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(sorry if it's a repost)

Wraith
18th June 2007, 08:07 PM
Yes, lol, well I think here it's all about getting the original car brand showing and over there it's all about trying to be different to everybody else:rolleyes:

aussie_in_london
18th June 2007, 09:05 PM
Yes, lol, well I think here it's all about getting the original car brand showing

depends on how you define the original car brand, as the design of these cars isnt Opel its all under the one roof for Vxl, Opel and SAAB at the GME Design Centre in Rüsselsheim but again its not Opel its GM Europe and the head of the design team is actually English, now if you mean build then again in the astra range the sports hatch is assembled in an Opel plant and the 5 door is also assembled by a Vxl plant at Ellesmere Port and so to will be the next generation of astra ranges so what is the correct branding? you could then say the mini is incorrectly branded as its assembled in the BMW factory in the UK, just my thoughts!

poita
18th June 2007, 09:32 PM
my head hurts after reading that lol

bornwild
18th June 2007, 11:38 PM
depends on how you define the original car brand, as the design of these cars isnt Opel its all under the one roof for Vxl, Opel and SAAB at the GME Design Centre in Rüsselsheim but again its not Opel its GM Europe and the head of the design team is actually English, now if you mean build then again in the astra range the sports hatch is assembled in an Opel plant and the 5 door is also assembled by a Vxl plant at Ellesmere Port and so to will be the next generation of astra ranges so what is the correct branding? you could then say the mini is incorrectly branded as its assembled in the BMW factory in the UK, just my thoughts!

The design team belongs to Opel, which is the european arm of GM, hence the country of origin is Germany, manufacturer&developer: Opel.

The Vauxhall brand was to be dropped in favour of Opel, but stubborn poms didn't want to because they had a strong fleet market.

And every kid in town knows that the new Mini is correctly called a BMW Mini.

oneightoo
18th June 2007, 11:39 PM
and the knee bones connected to the????

Miyagi
19th June 2007, 12:05 AM
bit of harmless customisation that does something for the other never hurt no one. :)

EL BURITO
19th June 2007, 01:09 AM
I still think a Corsa with a holden badge and a 1L engine is a little funny

aussie_in_london
19th June 2007, 02:42 AM
The design team belongs to Opel, which is the european arm of GM, hence the country of origin is Germany, manufacturer&developer: Opel.

The Vauxhall brand was to be dropped in favour of Opel, but stubborn poms didn't want to because they had a strong fleet market.

And every kid in town knows that the new Mini is correctly called a BMW Mini.

You poms will soon start claiming that you invented mathematics and physics and astronomy.....jeezz

ah thats right your uncle works for Opel doesnt he, so all you say has to be correct lol

Head of design is English (Mark Adams) , head of interior design is american and head of exterior design is another brit (Malcolm Ward)
Sadly the germans working at Opel don't want to admit that they've been an American company since 1929 when GM bought them..... in fact there been in GM's portfolio longer than Vauxhall have : )

Opel, Vauxhall and Saab are developed by GM.
So Vxl products are not rebranded Opel in as much as Opels are not rebranded Vauxhalls.
Both products are designed by the same team at the same time only the badging and side of the s/w are different.

OZChris
19th June 2007, 07:07 AM
Yes, lol, well I think here it's all about getting the original car brand showing and over there it's all about trying to be different to everybody else:rolleyes:

I think at the end of the day, we are all trying to be different to everybody else - otherwise automotive accessory companies would be out of business :)

OPC
19th June 2007, 11:19 AM

i actually do it to be different and because i like the OPEL badges and also my car came with OPC dials
looks stupid with VXR and OPC badges

OPC
19th June 2007, 11:22 AM
You poms will soon start claiming that you invented mathematics and physics and astronomy.....jeezz

last time i heard AUSSIE was an AUSSIE...

Wraith
19th June 2007, 01:06 PM
I think at the end of the day, we are all trying to be different to everybody else - otherwise automotive accessory companies would be out of business :)

Correct, I think all car enthusiasts wouldn't want their ride to look exactly the same as everybody elses, or even totally bog stock, there's always some aesthetic improvement which can be done.

I think we can all agree on that one :)

bornwild
20th June 2007, 01:10 PM
Head of design is English (Mark Adams) , head of interior design is american and head of exterior design is another brit (Malcolm Ward)
Sadly the germans working at Opel don't want to admit that they've been an American company since 1929 when GM bought them..... in fact there been in GM's portfolio longer than Vauxhall have : )

lol, following that logic BMW is American and VW is Spanish....:D:o

The way GM works is this; they have branches they own in every part of the world.(ie. Holden in Australia, Opel in Europe etc.) These branches use their own 'brain', ie. they are privately owned, for the purposeful good of GM as a whole.
The Russelsheim team is owned by Opel, who are in turn owned by GM.

So you're saying that the correct branding for a HSV R8 is .... Vauxhall VXR?

And another thing, GM acquired Vauxhall in 1925 and Opel in 1929.:boohoo:

Subsidiary company = A company whose controlling interest is owned by another company.

ps. The design center in Russelsheim is not a GM design center, it is an Opel Design Center. And my brother works for them....not uncle.

aussie_in_london
20th June 2007, 06:46 PM
for the last 2 years GM have been moving the centres of excellence around the world. There is no longer an Opel anything apart from an Opel sales organisation. Centrally they are all multibrand (Vauxhall , Saab , Cadillac, Hummer) the design centre is a General Motors Europe Design Centre doing both Opel/Vauxhall and Saab design.

Sadly your view is reflecting the world of 1980's and not current : )

why we are on it and your brother works for Opel, just out of interest what is his surname? (pm if you prefer)

gman
20th June 2007, 06:57 PM
I like OPC and opel cause its easier to spell than Holden and Vaux....whatever ;)

bornwild
20th June 2007, 07:08 PM
for the last 2 years GM have been moving the centres of excellence around the world. There is no longer an Opel anything apart from an Opel sales organisation. Centrally they are all multibrand (Vauxhall , Saab , Cadillac, Hummer) the design centre is a General Motors Europe Design Centre doing both Opel/Vauxhall and Saab design.

Sadly your view is reflecting the world of 1980's and not current : )

why we are on it and your brother works for Opel, just out of interest what is his surname? (pm if you prefer)

PM Sent, and I take back that Opel Design Center comment....came straight out of my arse woops :D.

bornwild
20th June 2007, 07:09 PM
last time i heard AUSSIE was an AUSSIE...

He's an adopted POM :p:p:p

OPC
21st June 2007, 10:31 AM
I like OPC and opel cause its easier to spell than Holden and Vaux....whatever ;)

bahahahahahaha

Oz
28th June 2007, 12:45 PM
No doubt it is best to say 'designed in Germany'.

ZC_74
29th June 2007, 10:53 PM
No doubt it is best to say 'designed in Germany'.

Here Here

And just my 2c worth. I went down the Opel track because apart from Holden badges on the exterior to show off the car to the public, everything else in the car (Radio card, under bonnet components etc etc) has Opel all over them.

Kind of fitting I think.

Further, and again just my 2c, I would prefer an OPC car than a VXR. Same car I know but I really dig that Opel Blue.

And I am confused. Why didn't HSV brand their VXR with HSV dials. Its an HSV, branded a VXR (vauxhall) and has OPC dials :confused: (I don't really know if they do - it's just what the HSV website shows)

stevedee3
29th June 2007, 11:14 PM
HSV, branded a VXR (vauxhall) and has OPC dials :confused: (I don't really know if they do - it's just what the HSV website shows)I suspect HSV have invested the minimum amount of money possible on this project - making new instrument cluster parts is probably a very expensive business.

bornwild
29th June 2007, 11:16 PM
This also means that all the VXR's in britain also have the OPC instrument cluster...???

So only the Europeans get the complete Astra OPC :D :D :P

OPC
30th June 2007, 12:19 AM
This also means that all the VXR's in britain also have the OPC instrument cluster...???

nah in UK they use mph where germany use km/h so poms get the VXR clusters where as ze germans get the OPC clusters

but you already knew that right...

ZC_74
30th June 2007, 06:23 AM
I suspect HSV have invested the minimum amount of money possible on this project - making new instrument cluster parts is probably a very expensive business.

Maybe, but if you look on ebay you can actually buy a OPC replacement plate to go in the cluster. Not the real thing but looks the goods. This would mean that the plate would be easily removed and a HSV one could have gone in

Check these guys http://www.xtuners.com/enshopopel.htm and scroll down

bornwild
30th June 2007, 11:39 AM
nah in UK they use mph where germany use km/h so poms get the VXR clusters where as ze germans get the OPC clusters

but you already knew that right...

Ah no, so let me get this straight. Once the OPC goes to England, they have 2 lines. One for modifying the OPC to English regulations and another for modifying it to AU regulations......quite ridiculous if you ask me.

EL BURITO
30th June 2007, 12:04 PM
Ah no, so let me get this straight. Once the OPC goes to England, they have 2 lines. One for modifying the OPC to English regulations and another for modifying it to AU regulations......quite ridiculous if you ask me.
the only differences on the cars are the clusters and the badges (and seats + suspension set up in UK) besides from that there arent to many other differences. Its how the cars are build not modified.

aussie_in_london
2nd July 2007, 09:40 AM
the only differences on the cars are the clusters and the badges (and seats + suspension set up in UK) besides from that there arent to many other differences. Its how the cars are build not modified.

your forgetting one important thing, right hand drive : )

they are built to right hand or left hand drive spec, not built left handed and swopped over, and other than that Vxl approached Lotus to set up the chassie and Gavin Kershaw went about setting up a passive system incorperating rebound springs in the dampers.

blueraven
2nd July 2007, 02:31 PM
meh, your all nuts.

Opel badges look the best to me. That is all :)

(i bought vauxhall badges for my calibra at one stage...and took them off after about a week cos i hated them :P )

gman
5th July 2007, 01:58 PM
I still have Opel badges on my car cause I can't spell proper and the "V" and "H" words have too many letters.... ;)

Folk is dumber where I come from-er.....well sorta rhymes :)

Alfonzo
8th July 2007, 06:19 PM
There's a fair bit of a following for it too, I believe.

When I had the Vec I joined vvoc.co.uk, and said that I drove a Holden and rebadged it to an Opel. I had several PM's after that asking what I did with the lions, and offering to buy them off me!

stevedee3
8th July 2007, 07:59 PM
Plenty of people seem to want Holden lions, plenty of people seem to want Opel blitzes, but I've never seen anyone who want a Vauxhall griffin though!

OZChris
8th July 2007, 08:05 PM
Plenty of people seem to want Holden lions, plenty of people seem to want Opel blitzes, but I've never seen anyone who want a Vauxhall griffin though!

IMHO 'Vauxhall' just doesn't have the right ring about it. :p

Greggy
9th July 2007, 08:49 PM
IMHO 'Vauxhall' just doesn't have the right ring about it. :p

Speaking as a brit driving a Vauxhall I know where your coming from....The VX brand (specially the Vectra B and C as well as the signum) are seen to be the mass produced fleet car that people buy when the leases have finished.

i must admit I did badge up as a holden for a few months but got bored of the look (and trying to track down a holden steering wheel badge was a nightmare)

Each to thier own i say.. !

I guess its the same the world over, you wanna try and make yours that little different to the next persons (mass produced fleet car) - hence the need / want to make it stand out with either Opel blitz or Holden lions etc.