PDA

View Full Version : Reverse gear?

blueraven
15th June 2007, 04:11 PM
All of a sudden my astra wont go into reverse, without lifting the clutch slightly(loading the gearbox) and crunching it in..or with the engine turned off i can roll back slowly and slot it in without crunching. Has anyone else had trouble with the reverse gear? Its at holden at the moment and as usual they are scratching their heads and are about to pull the freaking gearbox out. They have checked all of the linkages apparently, saying they are all fine.

i have spoken to my mechinic and he thought maybe the clutch release until i said it still wont go in when the engine is off.

car in still under warranty (today is the last day hehehe) but i am hoping they dont try and pull a fast one on me.

Huhness
15th June 2007, 04:39 PM
Wow lucky this happened within warranty! Good luck with the repairs!

oneightoo
15th June 2007, 05:46 PM
might they say "all that extra power you have there has ruined the box, not covered" ??

auzvectra
15th June 2007, 05:51 PM
been to long since i drove my astra, but i know the lower models 4cyl non turbo's boxes always hit the teeth and you need to roll back or forward to get it in. engine on or off.

oneightoo
15th June 2007, 05:53 PM
i never had to do that in my 1.8 or 2.2

just had to be stationary to put them in.. bizarro..

blueraven
15th June 2007, 05:59 PM
nah.. its not like they will put it on a dyno :D
(they have replace a cv and a linkage before and said nothing of the power :) )

and its not like i gun around in reverse :P

nigelh
15th June 2007, 06:41 PM
I sounds like the ends of the teeth on the reverse gears have worn and they can't engage. on the astra gearbox rev isn't a constant mesh gear, so the rev idler has to move up to engage rev.
What dealer is the car at? I do a lot of gearbox work for holden so they might end up sending it to me.

mr corsa
15th June 2007, 09:19 PM
syncro prehaps

blueraven
15th June 2007, 09:32 PM
reverse gear has no synchro...

its at brian gardner holden. i hope the dont just replace the box.. i want my LSD to stay! :D

low astra
15th June 2007, 09:38 PM
could the lsd have anything to do with the damage to the box?

mr corsa
15th June 2007, 09:43 PM
ok then maybe its the selector fork in the box that has shit itself

blueraven
15th June 2007, 10:04 PM
no i dont think the lsd can affect the gearbox, except for maybe putting it under a little more load due to better grip from the tyres...

yeh tony could be the selector, i dont know enough about gearboxes :(

SKM_87
16th June 2007, 01:48 PM
sounds more idler gear related. selector fork would just make i a bicth to egt. shouldnt get crunching from it.

mr corsa
16th June 2007, 04:57 PM
by any chance nik that the gear box is making a rattle noise when not in gear and on idle?

auzvectra
17th June 2007, 08:21 PM
um, u sure they dont have a syncro in reverse, i'm pretty sure they do, as it goes into reverse at forward speed, it should do this without a syncro right?

Shaun
17th June 2007, 09:08 PM
Why wouldnt you keep your LSD BR? its removeable from the box. they only have to replace the box . Sounds like something is broken in side. maybe it has chipped selector fork like Mr Corsa was saying?

blueraven
17th June 2007, 10:25 PM
no noticable noise from the gearbox, in fact since the 60k service the motor sounds great, smooth and quiet at idle.

and i will keep my lsd, i just dont want holden swapping out the box and not telling me, at which point i would lose it...

nigelh
18th June 2007, 12:11 AM
forgot it was a turbo. I think they have the f23 gearbox which from memory does have a syncro. If I do end repairing it will make sure everything is spot on for you:D

blueraven
18th June 2007, 12:12 PM
mate give brian gardner a call and say " just heard you might need my services on an astra" :D:D:D

just called them, they have had it since wed night and havent touched it since thursday morning :(..was told they are going to pull the gearbox out today, they still dont know whats wrong :P

oh and i dunno about the synchro, somone told me there was no synchro on the reverse gear in the f23 but then they may be wrong.

nigelh
18th June 2007, 09:22 PM
Was there today picking up some parts and saw it sitting in the car park. Didn't get a chance to talk to anyone about it. I built what i think was a f23 out of saab and that had a syncro on rev. Will find out for sure if I end up doing the job.:D

blueraven
18th June 2007, 10:00 PM
yeah i found out they havent touched the car since thursday afternoon! grrrrrr....

much obliged buddy i would prefer someone on my side to have a look at it :)

blueraven
19th June 2007, 12:34 PM
Nigel if you do end up with it gimme a call 0409106945.

they called this morning asking where the key to my locknuts are, so i assume they are finally working on it.

poita
19th June 2007, 07:19 PM
or they think ur wheels are hideous and need to take them off so they can get near it to work on the box :p:p

blueraven
22nd June 2007, 04:45 PM
thanks to nigel i have found out its a smashed reverse syncro (good call tony).

now i have to wait another week or two while they get another :( (the more i argue and piss them off, the higher the chance they fight with me abou twarranty..at least thats what i think. So if i leave them to it i hope they just go about their business fixing the car and dont even mention anything to do with warranty...)

nigelh
23rd June 2007, 12:02 AM
no worries:D here is a photo of the broken syncro.

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1071&stc=1&d=1182520173

to get the syncro you have to buy this shaft assy. Nice work holden:confused:

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1072&stc=1&d=1182520402

reverse is the 2nd last gear (near the pinnion gear) on the shaft and I had to use a 50 tonne press to get the gears off only to find that you can't buy the syncro

auzvectra
23rd June 2007, 12:20 PM
too many reverse doey's :D.
would be a good time for a lower final drive nik ;).

blueraven
23rd June 2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the picks nigel, i hope you can get it fixed good asnew as soon as you can...

never done a reverse donut/burnout :P

that wouldnt damage the synchro anyways? :P..oh well i just hope hope it all goes back together properly and holden dont try and screw me over on warranty :(

auzvectra
24th June 2007, 09:26 PM
depends if you did it like i used to (back in the day), reverse to 1st with handbrake, back into reverse, ect....
u get the idea :D.

Dave
25th June 2007, 06:53 PM
Bloody hoon !

I havent been game to try it in mine, ive already broken one gear box and that was just from smashing first and 2nd n third hard. The diff was a work of art though hehe.,

Perhaps i should try it since the bank wants to repo my car :D

blueraven
2nd July 2007, 04:48 PM
*SIGH.

Waiting now for a single bearing thats on back order, expected delivery 20th july! :(

They claim there is a dealer in melbourne that might have one, but why the hell did they wait 2 weeks to find out?!?! i could have had one here in 4 days from autovaux from england!! :(

SKM_87
2nd July 2007, 08:22 PM
call around a few local holden dealers. hardly any off the dealers buy from other dealers. ive ccalled one dealer vefore for parts and they say a week wait. call a dealer a few suburbs away and presto.

blueraven
3rd July 2007, 01:05 AM
yeh nigel if your reading this can you call me and let me know what part i need to hunt down? holden are being useless as always.