PDA

View Full Version : Servicing

ZC_74
13th June 2007, 12:40 PM
Just got the car back from servicing (well yesterday arvo) and this was the cost.

Through the local dealer I have had lots of good service from.

Service - $250
Adjust the handbrake to spec - $38
Flush brake lines and add new fluid - $68

Total - $397

Quote to do rear brake pads - $290

Steering Pump needs to be replaced. Cost $1700 but will be fixed under warranty

Thoughts?

Mainframe_Module
13th June 2007, 12:42 PM
holden charge you to adjust the bloody handbrake?

jesus..

when i take my toyoa in they wash it, vaccume it, tighten the handbrakes and service it for well under 300, even when its a full service and they do wheel alignments :o

ZC_74
13th June 2007, 12:49 PM
holden charge you to adjust the bloody handbrake?

jesus..

when i take my toyoa in they wash it, vaccume it, tighten the handbrakes and service it for well under 300, even when its a full service and they do wheel alignments :o

I forgot.

That was another. They asked if I wanted a wheel alignment and I saw $179 next to it. I said no because I just had tyres put on.

Holden used to wash cars but say that they can't now due to water restrictions. I think it may have something to do with how much your car is worth. My 'old' $60000 Adventra used to get washed but the Veccy doesn't.......

Tfer
13th June 2007, 01:19 PM
Just got the car back from servicing (well yesterday arvo) and this was the cost.

Through the local dealer I have had lots of good service from.

Service - $250
Adjust the handbrake to spec - $38
Flush brake lines and add new fluid - $68

Total - $397

Quote to do rear brake pads - $290

Steering Pump needs to be replaced. Cost $1700 but will be fixed under warranty

Thoughts?

Mate, get a comparative quote from Westpoint at Sumner, and state you are an Opelaus member..... you will get a discount, and it may end up being a better price (depending on how much good service you get from the other dealership)

Worth a try ;)

Wraith
13th June 2007, 01:19 PM
Glad your happy with all of that, each to their own, but for me the only 'reasonable' item of work there, is the brake line flush and new fluid added for $68.

5 min. or less hanbrake adjustment for $38 - that's a joke ;)

If you know what your doing all of that is easy DIY :)

Adjusting the handbrake and changing rear pads is fairly easy, bleeding brakes and putting new fluid needs some attention - advantage is saving heaps of money, most of what you paid is labour costs, but disadvantage is no warranty, if you DIY - I'll still take the later :)

Lucky your under warranty for the steering pump, your car is fairly new, is it a common prob for Vecce C's ??

And as far as washing your car goes - NO WAY JOSE :D especially your's being black, I don't care if it's for free !!!

One of the main factors in any cars condition and look of it's duco is the way it's washed - done incorrectly with old mits/sponges etc. dirty water etc. will result in wear and scratches.

I do all my own washing/cleaning/waxing etc. :)

ZC_74
13th June 2007, 01:37 PM
Mate, get a comparative quote from Westpoint at Sumner, and state you are an Opelaus member..... you will get a discount, and it may end up being a better price (depending on how much good service you get from the other dealership)

Worth a try ;)

Would, but although kinda south it makes getting into work a real pest. Will keep it mind though

Glad your happy with all of that, each to their own, but for me the only 'reasonable' item of work there, is the brake line flush and new fluid added for $68.

5 min. or less hanbrake adjustment for $38 - that's a joke ;)

If you know what your doing all of that is easy DIY :)

Adjusting the handbrake and changing rear pads is fairly easy, bleeding brakes and putting new fluid needs some attention - advantage is saving heaps of money, most of what you paid is labour costs, but disadvantage is no warranty, if you DIY - I'll still take the later :)

Lucky your under warranty for the steering pump, your car is fairly new, is it a common prob for Vecce C's ??

Never said I was happy - more gobsmacked. All secondary items asked in future will be firrmly declined.

To be really honest I don't have the knowledge or tools to do something properly in the car. As a rule I would rather pay someone and get something done properly than me try it, f%*k it and then have to pay more. Just personal.

The most common and well known problem for the Vectra's is the Auto. Can't say I have ever heard of this problem before.

And as far as washing your car goes - NO WAY JOSE :D especially your's being black, I don't care if it's for free !!!

One of the main factors in any cars condition and look of it's duco is the way it's washed - done incorrectly with old mits/sponges etc. dirty water etc. will result in wear and scratches.

I do all my own washing/cleaning/waxing etc. :)

As for washing, my car is covered in swirls now. I really am at a loss to get them all out. It was an ex Holden company car and thus possibly treated poorly. When I first got it I couldn't notice it. It seems to be lots worst - like progressively worst. And I know it's not me because water restrictions kind of limit washing a bit.

Wraith
13th June 2007, 02:41 PM
Ah, I see :) for me it's different, always been hands on stuff, despite being an office worker and having and growing up with tradies of all sorts as close friends and family, also helped to learn and pick up heaps of stuff.

I have a real advantage with all mechanical stuff as a 1st coz of mine owns and runs his own large and full house mechanics garage :D I and my cars are regulars there on the hoists :D doing all manner of mechanical work, it's my 2nd home :)

With the duco condition, you can try to DIY fix it with off the shelf products, like swirl removers clays and wax n polishes.

You don't really need any how to, all instructions are on the products and it's very easy to do, ie: by hand not machine, the only hard part is the time and elbow grease involved :)

luvpsi
13th June 2007, 02:45 PM
I forgot.

That was another. They asked if I wanted a wheel alignment and I saw $179 next to it. I said no because I just had tyres put on.

Holden used to wash cars but say that they can't now due to water restrictions. I think it may have something to do with how much your car is worth. My 'old' $60000 Adventra used to get washed but the Veccy doesn't.......

thats a fu**** expensive wheel alignement:D

ope126
13th June 2007, 05:38 PM
ZC_74 check your PM...;)

Poogene2001
13th June 2007, 06:18 PM
In regards to adjusting your handbrake... It's not a 5 minute job.
To do it properly (that is not to just tighten the cable at the lever) requires the removal of the rear wheels and the calibration at the discs. If you had a Falcon, it would cost you 0.7 hours of labour which is $61.60 at retail labour rates. If you want to try your luck and do it yourself, that's fine, but who are you going to blame when your car rolls away over night? ;)
While the car is under warranty, I wouldn't risk anything just for sake of saving a few bucks. But the alignment price, Waa-waa Wee-waa. Go to bob jane and get it done for $45.

I had a go at changing my passenger's door mirror on my AH Astra recently and managed to puncture the door vinyl and brake all of the internal cover clips. Ended up costing me almost as much in the long run as taking the car to Holden (** note that may have something to do with the fact that I'm a bit of a retard **).

btm
13th June 2007, 06:26 PM
But the alignment price, Waa-waa Wee-waa. Go to bob jane and get it done for $45.

exactly, $179 is a rip!!

stevedee3
13th June 2007, 08:32 PM
In regards to adjusting your handbrake... It's not a 5 minute job.I thought the Vectra C handbrake was supposed to be "self-adjusting"...

ZC_74
14th June 2007, 07:01 AM
The dealer always sends a letter out after the service asking for an 'evaluation'

I don't have to tell you what will be written in my response. ;)

Bill_G
14th June 2007, 07:47 AM
The dealer always sends a letter out after the service asking for an 'evaluation'

I don't have to tell you what will be written in my response. ;)Probably not a great idea while your car is still awaiting warranty repairs with them. You might just find your required PAS pump mysteriously "disappearing" for several months...

ZC_74
14th June 2007, 08:10 AM
Probably not a great idea while your car is still awaiting warranty repairs with them. You might just find your required PAS pump mysteriously "disappearing" for several months...

They may be reading this forum already ;) because they were supposed to ring me yesterday and I didn't hear anything

Bill_G
14th June 2007, 08:20 AM
I wouldn't be too worried just yet. If I had $1 for every time GM promised to ring me but didn't, I'd be driving a new VXR by now. ;)

ZC_74
14th June 2007, 08:29 AM
nah nah nah, not worried. Was having a bit of a light hearted go

Bill_G
14th June 2007, 09:58 PM
No worries Adam, I didn't really think you'd be quite that silly. :)