PDA

View Full Version : Servicing (Astra G)

damienhelen
12th June 2007, 07:14 PM
Is the 15000 holden service interval enough? (2003 Astra CD)
On all my older cars i used to change the oil and air filter every 5000km.

Please tell me if the holden service interval of 15,000km is sufficient?

Thanks

Wraith
12th June 2007, 08:29 PM
If it's bog stock and you drive it with care, yes it's more than sufficient.

If it's worked up a bit or you drive it hard often or want to keep the car long term, then it's a good idea to do services more regulary - say every 10,000km.

Realistically servicing every 5,000km is overkill on most cars, (it's a good idea on very high performance cars though, just to keep em in check) having said that, I actually do all of mine every 5,000km, but that's just because I'm a fanatic and always treat my cars with extra TLC :)

I had a race car once, that got thouroughly serviced and checked over after every race session - average 3 runs - so that's approx. only 1.2km between services LOL :D but of course that dosn't apply to normal cars...

auzvectra
12th June 2007, 09:11 PM
as wraith said, if you want to do more, just do the oil and filter at 7500 in between sevices, doesnt cost much if you do it yourself, and will be better for the motor.
also, just pull the air filter out, and tap it to dislodge any larger dirt and dust from it to help it also ;).

auzvectra
12th June 2007, 09:13 PM
oh yeah, and i also do 5K services, but i tend to rev the crap out of my cars, any of them, even the combo :D.

JR
12th June 2007, 10:50 PM
its better to change the oil n filter in between service intervals.

although i haven't been able to cause friggin holden tightened da bolt (torx screw) underneath too tightly.

they must've used an airgun to tighten it.

Wraith
13th June 2007, 12:51 PM
its better to change the oil n filter in between service intervals.

although i haven't been able to cause friggin holden tightened da bolt (torx screw) underneath too tightly.

they must've used an airgun to tighten it.

You should still be able to undo it JR...

Make sure you use the correct size torx bit and get a longer armed wrenched with greater leverage onto it, or use a bit of pipe that'll fit over the wrench handle, to provide additional leverage.

Air guns actually tighten bolts 'less' than doing it yourself by hand with a good wrench - you'll notice grease monkeys and wheels fitters always doing up final tightning by hand after initial air gun fastening ;) this isn't just done for correct torqueing, but because it's not tightened properly with the air gun.

So I doubt it was done that way, someones just tightend it up a little too much, the good ol fashioned way by the sounds of things.

Another trick, do this when the engine is cold, if the engine is warm, it'll all be expanded a little, so it's that little bit tighter :)

luvpsi
13th June 2007, 01:07 PM
I change my oil and filter, and clean the k&n pod every 5000kms and have done this to all my cars mainly because I am a bit picky about these things and also because of the turbo as the oil feed lines to the turbo tend to get blocked if the oil is dirty

auzvectra
13th June 2007, 05:07 PM
yeah i tried to do my oil ages ago, when i only had a 1/4" drive torx set, and i snapped it clean off :(.
now i have a 1/2" drive set it's all good.

JR
14th June 2007, 12:50 PM
yeah i tried to do my oil ages ago, when i only had a 1/4" drive torx set, and i snapped it clean off :(.

maybe dats wat i need - a 1/2" drive torx set.
off to supercheapauto i go :D

although, that would mean i gotta get wider n not so steep wheel ramps. i can't go up the current ones we have. they're fine with dad's n mum's car.
my wheels r 215 (max 200mm wheel width for the ramp), n i can't go up da ramp unless i remove my front bumper.
might also have 2 remove my rear bumper too so it doesn't scrap wit da front angled up!! lol
the joys - yipee

i'm due for my 100k service next week - better book it in i say.

Wraith
14th June 2007, 12:57 PM
LOL, get yourself a set of adjustable steel stands and just use the factory jack provided with your car - easy peasy - screw jack it up, insert the stands correctly for full safety and do your oil change service :)

Those ramps you mentioned are useless for most cars - they only fit under large front or rear end clearances, even I've got a set that just sit there doing nothing....

blueraven
14th June 2007, 03:45 PM
i have a set too that i could get up on my calibra that wasnt even lowered..no chance on the astra. I think i let them to a mate about 2 years ago and cant be bothered taking them back :P

Huhness
14th June 2007, 04:42 PM
can someone post a site where i can read up about DIY oil and filter changes..? I'm pretty good at this sort of stuff (Have all the tools and such) and take my time i wouldn't mind changing the oil and filters myself between services.

damienhelen
14th June 2007, 06:34 PM

I suggest getting some quality tools - like "SIDCHROME" caus thats all i use, and it'll last forever, but if it does break it has a lifetime guarantee, so you get a replacement for nothing and that will last your life out.

SIDCHROME SIDCHROME SIDCHROME!

Wraith
14th June 2007, 07:27 PM
True that, I've got a 116 piece Sidchrome tool set I purchased 18 years ago and it's still going strong :)

However TBH there are many brands of cheaper tools out there that do as good a job and last a long time, you don't have to spend huge amounts on flash tools ;)

BTW that leopard or whatever type of big cat it is in your avatar must have a real headache by now from all that bopping lol :D I like it.....:)

Huhness, if you can wait a while til I do my next service on my Astra, I'll take heaps of pics and document it all for you - it really is very simple to do, especially if your equipped with all the right tools :)

Huhness
14th June 2007, 09:52 PM
Huhness, if you can wait a while til I do my next service on my Astra, I'll take heaps of pics and document it all for you - it really is very simple to do, especially if your equipped with all the right tools :)
Awesome that would be great!! :clap:

JR
14th June 2007, 10:05 PM
hey, if u want, i can send u a How-to done by SmellyToffu a while ago for the astras.

its a pdf doco wit pics, steps n part numbers for changing the oil.

i can send it 2 u if u want. let me know.

nJm
14th June 2007, 11:04 PM
Could you send it to me? Want to change the oil in my 'new' SRI... thanks!

damienhelen
15th June 2007, 05:14 AM
True that, I've got a 116 piece Sidchrome tool set I purchased 18 years ago and it's still going strong :)

However TBH there are many brands of cheaper tools out there that do as good a job and last a long time, you don't have to spend huge amounts on flash tools ;)

BTW that leopard or whatever type of big cat it is in your avatar must have a real headache by now from all that bopping lol :D I like it.....:)

That was be awesome! Pictorials are awesome! YEAH!

damienhelen
15th June 2007, 05:17 AM
hey, if u want, i can send u a How-to done by SmellyToffu a while ago for the astras.

YES PLA-EASE!

Huhness
15th June 2007, 09:15 AM

That would also be great! You have a PM :)

damienhelen
15th June 2007, 09:16 AM
Yup sounds good - see email addy to the left!

JR
15th June 2007, 10:12 AM
i've sent the doco to Huhness - he might b able to host it, so the rest of ya can download it.

will keep u posted.

Huhness
15th June 2007, 10:30 AM
I'll host it once i'm home tonight as i can't access ftp while at work :rolleyes:

Wraith
15th June 2007, 12:01 PM
Great stuff JR

That helps everyone and they don't have to wait for my next service :)

Would've taken months yet to clock up the required km's in my car :o

Huhness
15th June 2007, 12:06 PM
JR is also sending me some other HOW-TOs which look very handy! When i get them i'll throw them up for whoever wants them!

Huhness
15th June 2007, 07:01 PM
how_to_-_changing_oil.pdf - 1.8L (http://www.huhness.com/misc/how_to_-_changing_oil.pdf)

oil.pdf - 1.8L and 2.2L (http://www.huhness.com/misc/oil.pdf)

Theres the How To for anyone interested its really good and VERY simple!! Except i think he used a pic of the engine bay twice and is missing where the funnel goes to put the new oil in.. Where does the new oil go in?? :o

Edit - Added another How-To from Astra Sport! Damn they have some cool How To's! Might ask if i can host some for us as they don't allow hot linking!

damienhelen
16th June 2007, 05:46 PM
Wonderful, thanks for the PDF's

:)