PDA

View Full Version : How to measure car performance on the cheap?

dieselhead
7th June 2007, 10:49 PM
I was wondering, how do you measure your car performance without spending a fortune on a V-box? I'm after 0-100 km/h and 0-400 m times.
Sure, there's always possible to have a friend on the left seat with his proverbial Casio watch, but I need something more accurate than that. Another way is to tape the speedo and then do some work counting frames in a youtube friendly video, but we all know how "precise" this method can be... Accelerometres cost close to $200, and that's for the cheaper ones, that won't allow too much data collection, so using them could become boring fairly quickly...

Any other ideas?

Now, what do you do if you've already got a phone with internal/bluetooth GPS receiver? Is there any software able to time accurately, that would register dozens of runs, lap times maybe, giving you maximums, averages? If there is, how accurate is it? Any of you guys used anything like this?

bornwild
8th June 2007, 12:35 AM
Any GPS software should provide you with a stop watch also, in fact it should have the whole telemetry package(time and space).

Then again, how accurate are these? This question has already been answered by our dear Albert Einstein.

Get a stop-watch, best way of doing it. If you want it more accurate, fork out the money.

You want gold for the price of copper....it don't work that way

dieselhead
8th June 2007, 01:14 AM
Stop-watch is fine, providing the speed can properly measured, too. Hm, should I ask a copper to help with that? Mayne not... :)
Seriously now, I know GPS software is giving you the speed, but what I need is something that would start counting when the car took off and stop when it reached 100 km/h. Shouldn't be too hard.

bornwild
8th June 2007, 01:50 AM
I don't know about a straight read out but I'm pretty sure you can import your telemetry from the GPS unit onto the computer and check all relevant data on the comp.

ie. accelerate from 0 - 100 and check how long it took you for that on the computer, you won't get a straight-away read out.

InsaneAsylum
8th June 2007, 07:51 AM
get your cousin to sit in the passanger seat and time your runs with a stopwatch, then when telling the story to other people, take 2 seconds off your time so it sounds like "omogod uleh mo ca doz 7 second zero to hundred man"

dieselhead
8th June 2007, 07:59 AM
Now how scientific is that? Man, I love that method! :D

aznpsuazn
8th June 2007, 08:35 AM
For starters i have never regarded any 0-100 figure as accurate. The variation between the factory quoted time, your quoted time, and wheels magazine review time is >1 second easily.

What makes you think expensive gear is going to be any more accurate than your mate with a stop watch?
Lets take into account some variables here, and we cant deny this cuz it happens for shizzle.
-wheelspin on takeoff
-your takeoff style, rev dump, clutch ride, slow release, whatever
-road surface
-how fast you shift from 1-2nd.
-others i cant think of right now

Considering that you will never be able to completely control the above, the time recorded on your gogoplexy box will really vary by a lot^81382.

oneightoo
8th June 2007, 09:31 AM
get yourself a g-tech..

will measure everything you want..

will be close the deadly accurate.. but does it really matter if it's not 100% spot on?

blueraven
8th June 2007, 04:02 PM
go down to the local drag strip after each major modification.

only cost about $40 a go, its great fun and you will see any gains on the 1/4 mile. That said, i have had nights where i ranged from 14.05 - 14.8, and i would have sworn the 14.8 run felt faster :?

Wraith
8th June 2007, 04:19 PM
get yourself a g-tech..

will measure everything you want..

will be close the deadly accurate.. but does it really matter if it's not 100% spot on?

I agree with this, many types/models to choose from, they're not that expensive and you'll have a very useful tool you can use in or on any car from now on !!!

Just be very careful obviously where and when you pick to do your runs/testing ;)

I've used a combination of both the above and the drag strip.

Being cheap and getting someone to stop watch you from the passenger seat :confused: please........if your heard suggesting something like that around a drag strip, your gonna get bashed and thrown in a ditch lol :D

rusole21
8th June 2007, 04:31 PM
ONLY REALLY SURE METHOD is ( sorry for caps) to go to a strip. As br said. its hell fun and cheap and way more accuarate than any other method!!

dieselhead
8th June 2007, 05:01 PM
Any strip I could go to in Adelaide?

bornwild
8th June 2007, 05:35 PM
Any strip I could go to in Adelaide?

I believe there is something called Lake Gairdner in SA....probably a fair way from Adelaide but many tell me it's well worth the trip.

poita
8th June 2007, 09:12 PM
i got a G-Tech, cost me about $50 from ebay.
used it wen i first got it, cant remember any of the times rofl

dieselhead
8th June 2007, 10:04 PM
I tested this demo version of GPS Performance on my ipaq hw6965 today: http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=24172
Not too sure it's worth US$35.00 for the registered version... Or maybe it does since I've got a 7 seconds 0-100 km/h :) Will do a few more tests tomorrow. What do you guys think?

Poita, I am offering $60.00 + postage for that g-tech if you're done with it. Interested?

Calibrated
9th June 2007, 10:35 AM
That said, i have had nights where i ranged from 14.05 - 14.8, and i would have sworn the 14.8 run felt faster :?

Yep, i had one night at the drags, 1st run was a 16.8 (shitty time). 2nd run felt like i stuffed up off the line, but it was a 16.1. lol.

dieselhead
20th June 2007, 09:14 PM
What do you think guys, should I spend $140 on this one or not? (Beltronics FX-2)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280124983536&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

bornwild
20th June 2007, 10:32 PM
What do you think guys, should I spend $140 on this one or not? (Beltronics FX-2)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280124983536&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

Just wanted to let you know that you are *thinks*400-178=222*stops thinking* 222 times a bitch. :(:(:(:(

As for that beltronics.....looks a bit......too $2ish for me to take it serious.