PDA

View Full Version : question for legal gurus

RobotWarrior
6th June 2007, 01:11 AM
Are fiber glass body kits legal to fit to your car?:confused: Sounds like a dumb question but ide like to know before I shell out some cash! Thanks for your help!
Cheers Robot

aznpsuazn
6th June 2007, 04:39 AM
AFAIK they aren't. For starters its not standard. Pretty much anything that is not standard is a defect. 2 they interfere with the crumple zone of the car. Carbon fibre wont bend in the same fashion that metal does in an accident. It'll hold its shape pretty much and act as a blade. YOu can either slide a pedestrian in half or slide your own head off if it comes through the window.

RobotWarrior
6th June 2007, 08:29 AM
kool thanks

oneightoo
6th June 2007, 08:37 AM
are you sure?

i didnt think the front bar was part of the crumple zone.. bonnet yes, but not the front bar..

auzvectra
6th June 2007, 08:39 AM
i'm sure barry meant body kit as in, skirt or flare kit not bonnet, as it seem u think.
i dont know the 100% truth, but i belive if it fastened correctly, as many aren't, it is legal, and can have no edge smaller then 10mm diameter.
there are abs plastic kits you can get but also, they are slightly dearer, but are of the same compound as the original bumpers.

oh and yes carbon fiber IS illegal, as it splinters when broken ;).
and fibreglass bonnets are illegal, but most get away with it.

RobotWarrior
6th June 2007, 09:28 AM
Hey yeah sorry guys could have been a Tad more informative I meant Body kits as in Bumpers and sills. But now that Auzvectra has raised it, what about scoops on the bonnet I seem to remember they can't obscure drivers view or something? I was thinking of doing a transplant from one "genuine" metal bonnet to my vectras bonnet you know Break out the welder and such! is that legal? and Once again thanks Matt you have answered another of my questions LOL Also Matt where can I find these ABS kits?

auzvectra
6th June 2007, 12:34 PM
rieger do 1, www.tccamotorsport.com.au is syndey are the aus dealer.
about 1400-1600 landed from memory.

metal bonnet is fine, as long as you can see the ground from the drivers eye level at 10m across the bonnet (correct me if that wrong).
and there is another rule about a can rolling over it ect...

Dee
6th June 2007, 12:38 PM
robot,

your best bet would be to ring Qld Transport and ask for the link to the legislation that relates to body kits, etc. then you have it in writing. if they cant give you a link, ask them to post it to you for your reference.

Wraith
6th June 2007, 12:45 PM
Pretty much anything that is not standard is a defect.

I'm no legal expert, but I know the above sentence to be true.

Good advice by Dee above - contact your state RTA and ask the questions !

RobotWarrior
6th June 2007, 12:48 PM
Hey thanks yall' much appriciated Will check it out Dee might post it in QLD forum for all to see!

Calibrated
6th June 2007, 12:50 PM
If it were deemed illegal, then the government would be pissing away a multi million dollar industry..

And btw. a pedestrian is more likely to be killed by a Landcruiser that's 600mm off the ground than a slammed and bodykitted vectra.

I.E. Literally RUN OVER, rather than being pushed up onto the bonnet, etc.

Dee
6th June 2007, 12:52 PM
actually, Robot.. stop looking, i just found the legislation

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb57c508de5dea8/Modification_jan05v2.pdf from http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Road/Standards/Light_vehicle_modifications/

aznpsuazn
6th June 2007, 12:58 PM
UM yea i dont kno why i rambled on about cf bonnets when you originally stated body kits!! wat the!

RobotWarrior
6th June 2007, 01:02 PM
Hey thanks Dee thats good info will be saving to my HDD! LOL aznpsuazn!

I agree totally Astranomical! Don't even start me on F'N 4X4s! I could P*ss and moan about those bastards for a month! LOL

Wraith
6th June 2007, 01:26 PM
I agree totally Astranomical! Don't even start me on F'N 4X4s! I could P*ss and moan about those bastards for a month! LOL

LOL :D I think most of us hate SUV's ;)

BTW good info link for everyone Dee :)

Dee
6th June 2007, 01:35 PM
BTW good info link for everyone Dee :)

no probs... i knew it existed, i've seen it before, i just had to be persistant in my search

bigmick
6th June 2007, 04:51 PM
easiest way to see is to stand a coke can under sill etc and see how much spare height you have...has to be 100mm min clearance...except where it's lower by factory specs...this has been the measurement for years...

poita
6th June 2007, 10:09 PM
thx for the links dee :)

Wraith
6th June 2007, 10:19 PM
easiest way to see is to stand a coke can under sill etc and see how much spare height you have...has to be 100mm min clearance...except where it's lower by factory specs...this has been the measurement for years...

I havn't had a chance to read through all the literature in the links posted by Dee yet, but if your talking about clearance from anywhere of the underside of the car to the road surface, (ie: bumpers or exhausts under the car etc.) last I copped a canary and had to fix something on one of my cars regarding that, it was 120mm Min. clearance, here in Melb anyway, might be different in other states....

poita
6th June 2007, 10:22 PM
in QLD is 100mm

bornwild
6th June 2007, 10:29 PM
Yeah, Vic has the toughest lawes on that subject.

poita
6th June 2007, 10:33 PM
dont they shoot first then ask questions down ur way?

bigmick
6th June 2007, 11:39 PM
dont they shoot first then ask questions down ur way?
who said anything about asking questions.....lol

RobotWarrior
7th June 2007, 12:19 AM
LOL Yeah I used to live in Melbourne and they love the old Boom Boom Boom "FREEZE"

MatsHolden
7th June 2007, 12:24 AM
Shouldn't be a problem with fibreglass body kits, it's carbon fibre where you run into problems. Fibreglass gives and tears, whereas Carbonfibre has no give and suffers what is known as catastrophic failure. Keep in mind that cars such as the Corvette use fibreglass panels so there's another reason to think that you should be fine!

RobotWarrior
7th June 2007, 01:24 AM
I didn't think about it that way Matsholden! LOL makes sense thou! Cheers Robot