PDA

View Full Version : Rattle in Dash - It's not what you think...

mintaka
5th June 2007, 03:35 PM
G'day All,

Just had a rather embarrassing experience.

My otherwise lovely CDTi had recently developed an annoying rattling / buzzing noise between 1600 rpm to 1900 rpm. This being the where forth gear does 60 kph and fifth does 80 kph it was really getting on my nerves.

So down to the local Holden dealer today to get it fixed. I had been very careful to get all the the loose items out of the car check that the noise was still three beforehand. Drove with the Foreman inside and sure enough, he could hear it. He thought it might be coming from the centre console, right up near the windscreen somewhere.

So off I go home, being told that it would take most of the day to rip the dash out and get the culprit - most likely a loose hose or some such.

Anyway, had only been home an hour or so when the Foreman rings me back.

"We found the problem, it's your E-Tag!"

THE BLOODY E-TAG!!!!!

The only thing I hadn't removed from the car. The last bloody thing I would have suspected.

(For those of you blessed without toll roads, the E-Tags are little plastic boxes about the size of a cassette that stick to you windscreen)

Well, tail between legs, I collected my now none-rattling Astra. The Foreman reckons this will now outdo his smartee's-in-the-dash-rattling-story.

Sigh. At least they didn't have to take the dash apart. Those things never go back together in quite the same way.

:wall: :boohoo:

Mintaka

bornwild
5th June 2007, 03:56 PM
I don't have an e-tag and mine rattles...hmmmmmmmm :(

Wraith
5th June 2007, 04:54 PM
Where do you have your etag mounted - on or near the dash ??

Mines mounted up the top part of the windscreen, if it rattles, I'll know it's that and not the dash :)

Mainframe_Module
5th June 2007, 06:27 PM
LOL.....that's ****ing awesome.....well maybe not for you, but it amused me.

and hey, at least it isnt the car!

wooot :D

Rhino
5th June 2007, 08:08 PM
Road tolls ....

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA

That is all.

Wraith
5th June 2007, 09:10 PM
Yes, we have more than our fair share of them in Melb. and more on the way :mad:

mintaka
5th June 2007, 11:25 PM
Wraith,

Just behind the rearview mirror. Never gave it a second thought. We all thought (Foreman and Mechanic included) that it was coming from the dash, near the windscreen.

Mintaka

mintaka
5th June 2007, 11:28 PM
and hey, at least it isnt the car!

Yes mate. The one good thing to come out of this sorry tale.

Mintaka

EL BURITO
5th June 2007, 11:29 PM
Road tolls ....

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA

That is all.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

xplosv57
6th June 2007, 06:31 PM
Ohh the amount of cars we've had at BMW with the same problem, that freakin E-Tag rattling, always happens!!!

Although when we first found out about them, it was the hard way!! We pretty much drove the car with barely any interior, and the next step was removing the windscreen itself, but we took the E-Tag off, and no rattle!!!

Bulletin was sent out to all dealers so no one wasted the same amount of time as we did!!!

MatsHolden
7th June 2007, 12:07 AM
bloody e tags haha. I refuse to stick it on my windscreen because it looks shit to be blunt. lol Just keep it in my console until i need it and then just leave it on my seat when i'm on city link.

platypus
7th June 2007, 07:28 AM
QLD motorways supplied ours with 3m "velcro tape" its like a doulbe sided velcro (ie there is no rough and smooth furry side - its all rough)

that tape works great! they also gave us the standard mounts, for one that sits off the windscreen... perhaps if it rattles then it needs a new clip? (assuming its not like the NSW/RTA tags)

Vectracious
7th June 2007, 07:56 AM
I wonder if you can ask Citylink for a new one - when I had mine in the Vectra it would cause a rattle at certain intersections or if the car was stopped at a certain angle (down hill usually) - I ignored the rattle because after all it was a Vectra :rolleyes:

Then I got the WRX and it was quiet until I put the same e-Tag in and the rattle started again - had the biggest lightbulb moment when I figured out it was the stupid e-Tag, then felt like the biggest idiot when I spent an entire Sunday months ago ripping out the dash in the Veccy to chase this stupid rattle!!!

Vectracious
7th June 2007, 07:57 AM
that tape works great! they also gave us the standard mounts, for one that sits off the windscreen... perhaps if it rattles then it needs a new clip? (assuming its not like the NSW/RTA tags)

Dunno - I know the rattle in mine is actually inside the e-Tag itself, ie if I hold it in my hand at a certain angle, there is this faint ticking noise inside which gets louder if its attatched to something solid like a windscreen...

xplosv57
7th June 2007, 07:37 PM
There is another type of E-Tag holder available in Vic, we have a few at work, its like a case which you put the e tag into and the case i believe sticks to the windscreen, not sure if it helps noise though!!!!

Will investigate further...............