PDA

View Full Version : Hand wash: Engin???

tommy88
5th June 2007, 03:08 PM
Ok so iv hand washed my Corsa 2day, looks gud now, but noticed a few "chips" on the bonnet and front bumper :mad:

Ne ways, i was just wondering what people use to clean the "visual" parts of the engin, i.e. the cover of the engin, and fuse box etc.?
Shud i use water, warm soapy water, or is there some product to use?
What do i use to wipe with; spunge, rag, chamie?
And any tips on making it easy to clean

Note. im not a machanic so i dont want to be ripping the engin out :p

Any information will be much appreciated :)

Tom

JasonGilholme
5th June 2007, 03:37 PM
I generally use WD40 for most of it (painted surfaces etc)

I use throttle body cleaner for my block and any areas that are metal and greasy. (don't use this on painted surfaces, leave the WD40 for those)

I use silicone spray for anything rubber/plastic and then spray the rubber surfaces with 303 protectant (ie. air intake piping, radiator hoses, spark plug leads etc)

I've been doin this on my honda engine bay since i got it and it hasn't aged a bit. Radiator hoses look brand new.

PICS of engine bay:

Sorta dirty when working on her (wire tuck yO!)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/jasongilholme/16LTR/before.jpg

after finishing and cleaning with above method:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/jasongilholme/16LTR/after.jpg

dunko
5th June 2007, 04:55 PM
i usually use re160 and a gerni engine bay is spotless then use armour all for black plastic and hoses

JasonGilholme
5th June 2007, 05:08 PM
armour all = poo IMO. Had nothing but bad experiences with it on rubbers and plastics :(:(

With some of the older cars its best to put a plastic bag over any major electrical bits if your using a gerni or hose in the bay

MatsHolden
5th June 2007, 05:36 PM
Steam clean is best if you can do it.

tommy88
5th June 2007, 09:36 PM
I duno how to do it, how much will it cost to get it done? or would it work out cheaper to get all the solutions to hand clean it?:confused:

MatsHolden
5th June 2007, 10:15 PM
I just drop by my local dealer to get it steam cleaned. Don't charge me, but it wouldn't cost much at all to get done I wouldn't think.

Petey
8th June 2007, 10:44 PM
I just use normal carwash & washmitt

gently rinse with water (i use a hose with no nozzle for a couple of minutes only), then use the carwash with a mitt & then gently rinse off again with the hose for another minute or two...

if it's oily & greasy use something stronger as others have suggested, but if it a bit of dust & dirt that's all you really need...

start the engine to help it dry the water off & then spray whatever protectant you like on the plastic & black bits only, let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes & wipe of with a cloth (i use a microfibre)

new looking engine bay should result...

I use the normal armour all as my protectant as its cheap, available everywhere & wipes off to a nice finish (& no it doesn't crack or dry out the plastic bits as the myth says)

JasonGilholme
9th June 2007, 07:29 AM
Autoglym > Armourall IMO

SSS_Hoon
12th June 2007, 01:23 PM
i used some industrial strenght cleanser i got from my dads work, took the built up oil and dirt from the gearbox right off, although dont get it in your cuts as it stings like a biatch.

SSS_Hoon

JasonGilholme
12th June 2007, 01:31 PM
Sounds just like throttle body cleaner. lol

If you get too mcuh of it on your hands it starts to burn.... :(